BagofGlass (resized).jpg
434599499_10228561822663909_2493513439072746909_n (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2024-03-30 at 7.43.04 PM (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Big Chief pad (resized).png
stfu.gif
speedy-gonzales-movie-donald-trump (resized).jpg
IMG_4109 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rosh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2165 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

Anyone here ever have model trains?

A few years ago we were doing some renovation work, I sent my wife and daughter to go visit her family, and I was basically living in out basement. So, I decided to take the trains from my childhood that had been sitting for 40 years, and built a suspended track that runs around the game room . . . .

IMG_5090 (resized).JPGIMG_5090 (resized).JPG

#2177 3 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Ever since I told my self someday I would do the same in my house.

No time like the present, especially with also spending most of our time at home. The way I did it, is just suspended from the drop ceiling rails, with brackets. I just bent with a jig made from on block of wood and a couple of nails. The just slid them into rail and the wood strips with the tracks nailed into it, just sits on top of it. Worked better than I expected. The wood support for the curves were cut from plywood. I used some metal channel material, cut to small pieces to get each wood strip level to its neighbor, those use screws to hold each piece of wood to the top of the channel so they line up (first tried just a metal brace strip across the adjoining pieces but that did not really insure they stayed lined up).

IMG_5096 (resized).JPGIMG_5096 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#2210 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

When I was born, my Mom’s co-worker gave her a gift for the new baby. It was a small plush white dog with a tag that said his name was Morgan. I slept every night holding Morgan next to me. I brought him along in my little suitcase on all vacations and sleepovers. Then, one day around age 9, I decided I was now too old to sleep with a stuffed animal. I marched out to a big dumpster in the alley behind my house and tossed in Morgan. That night, I couldn’t sleep— regretting that I had thrown Morgan out. At daybreak, I ran outside to retrieve my lifelong friend from the dumpster. To my horror, the dumpster was now completely empty...
Forty years later, I was able to find some of these plush Morgan dogs on eBay. I discovered that they came in several sizes and colors. It took me a while to find a small white one, but Morgan is now back home! (Umm, but I don’t sleep with him anymore.)
[quoted image]

My daughter had her favorite stuffed animal, that she took everywhere and we were worried about her losing it, while it took some time but we tracked down another one to have just in case. Then after it had gotten pretty worn and tattered, we told her we needed to take hers to the stuffed animal doctor to get him fixed up, and then we swapped them out. She is now in college, still has it, looks worse than the original, and the original is still tucked away safe. She still does not know there are actually two.

3 weeks later
#2499 3 years ago
Quoted from DCP:

Here's another indoor activity we loved that would still be fun today. Some of the best origami books were written by another family friend of ours, Sam Randlett. Sam was a musician, magician, origamist, and overall talented genius.
I still have file folders containing copies of an obscure origami magazine called "The Flapping Bird" that Sam published in the 60s and 70s.
[quoted image]

I was getting that for a brief time as a kid.

1 week later
#2593 3 years ago

while looking for something else, came across this . . . you would feel them nibble and then you would have to hook up with a quick flip, and then reel them in and no lose it IMG_5182 (resized).JPGIMG_5182 (resized).JPG

1 month later
#3076 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

Did you have a purple Crown Royal bag as a kid?

We used one for scrabble tiles

My grandfather repped for a cigar company and he would always bring us cigar boxes. Still have a couple of the wooden ones left.

1 week later
#3315 3 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

Seeing all of those quick-adders made me think of this. We had one of these floating around the house when I was young.
[quoted image]

Still have mine from when I umpired little league games, so, this has got to be over 40 years old . . .

IMG_5310 (resized).JPGIMG_5310 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#3541 3 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

[quoted image]

these were great for fast channel changing. You could also crack it open, adjust the pot, and get some of the stations you were not supposed to get

3 weeks later
#3758 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

I went wild over the magic tricks printed on the backs of Good & Plenty boxes in the mid-to-late 60s.

While I did not learn if from good and plenty, that upside down glass trick won me many a free drink back in my bar days.

#3770 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Or Williams Rat Races.
LTG : )

Played one of these at a show in the last couple of years, can't remember which, was great to get to play one, very cool.

#3838 3 years ago

When I was kid, the B9 robot came out as a toy and I really wanted one. Was 35+ years later that I got this newer one as a gift. Always makes me smile when I see it.

IMG_5353 (resized).JPGIMG_5353 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#4142 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

A Dewey Decimal System card file?!? That thing is an antique and I'm feeling especially old right now. (It's also inspired a future post for this thread when I have more time).
I Googled as I always do and found that the Dewey Decimal Classification lives on today as WebDewey.

yes, sure makes me feel old, (next someone will post a microfiche machine) but my first thought was "would be great for parts storage".

#4290 3 years ago
Quoted from electricsquirrel:

Remember when they actually clicked?
And if you missed your channel, you had to go around the dial again?
[quoted image]
My best friend had a big German Shepherd.
Sometimes when the dog barked, the TV would change channels!

those early remotes were chime units, sometimes jiggling keys would change the channel

3 weeks later
#4570 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

I’d have to frantically put them under running warm water to get them loose.

You are supposed to be under the water first, then much easier to lift the lever as well not stick to it -- I guess I'm a few years too little late with this advice.

#4571 3 years ago

Seen a couple of people do this with a frosted freezer

star wars freezer (resized).pngstar wars freezer (resized).png

1 month later
#5106 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Think if Blazing Saddles came out today,!
I think every view would be insulted! [quoted image]

A lot of broadcasts mute the baked bean/fart scene, let alone some of the language

1 month later
#5427 2 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Though thankfully it is now under control.

hmm, 311 machines? Yeah, you have it under control

3 months later
#6361 2 years ago

pass the pigs, we were just playing that recently

Quoted from Azmodeus:

My favorite was cottage inn pizza in Ann Arbor.

Cottage inn is pan pizza, which is not the same as deep dish.

Pan Pizza is typically not eaten with knife and fork, like deep dish is

1 week later
#6413 2 years ago
Quoted from RichWolfson:You should look for the patent application and I think you can find them online. Patents can only be in the name of a person. The inventor if you will. Persons can assign the rights to a company but his name should be on the application somewhere.
My father always talked about his uncle I.D. Wolfson who invented the clip on bow-tie. Turns out it was not the clip-on we knew but something he called the Adjusto in 1922 that was an adjustable band on a regular bow tie. But it is a family story that is fun and you should look for the original documents as having them is part of our family histories.
///Rich
PS-Likely the company paid for the patent lawyers and the work to prepare an application. But again, if he invented it his name should be on the documents

My brother has copies of my fathers and grandfathers patents hanging on the wall in his office, which is pretty cool. It is a nice conversation piece when customers come in to visit. Once in a while I'll give him grief that he does not have a copy of one of mine, but since they are not related to his business, like the others, I let him off the hook. I also consider my Dad and Grandfathers patents far more interesting, since they are about creating/manipulating physical things vs being software process/methods line mine.

1 month later
#6612 2 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

I had this “Chipmunks Sing The Beatles Hits” album when I was 7 years old. My Mom played her Beatles albums all the time, but I played this one on my own little record player. I loved every note of it. For a few of the songs, such as “P.S. I Love You,” I heard the Chipmunks version before I heard the Beatles version.

[quoted image]

We had this too, this is the first time even seen an image of it on 40+ years.

4 weeks later
#6791 2 years ago
Quoted from RichWolfson:

Alas, Mark Roth died this week. We went head to head a few times but I was always able to wangle a handicap.

Had not heard this. Back in the 70s the PBA tour on ABC on Saturdays was must watch TV in our house. Roth came from Brooklyn like my Dad so he was a big fan. Both my parents were in leagues back then. Most people don't realize how big bowling was back in the 60s and 70s, guys like Roth and Earl Anthony were making twice as much as the top NFL guys. In 1964 Don Carter was the first athlete to get a million dollar endorsement deal.

1 month later
#7020 2 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Since we're on the topic of vintage electronics, who had any one of these?

Not one of those, but still have a Mac Plus with a whole 1 MB of memory!! Originally I had the external floppy drive as well, but after getting tied of doing the floppy disc shuffle, I got a 60MB external drive. At the time people would say "what would you ever need 60MB for".

#7032 2 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

but I do have a G4 cube

The engineering on the cube is really well done, how it all fits together.

2 months later
#7576 2 years ago
Quoted from Saltimbanco:

She played that cool, sexy Cinnamon Carter in Mission: Impossible!

For which she won three Emmy awards. Was recently watching some episodes, and in the first couple of seasons, any time she was alone on screen, they did a soft focus.

#7596 2 years ago

Got my blue stingray in the late 60s, a few years later it was stolen and I stepped up to a 10 speed varsity.

2 months later
#7935 1 year ago

when we lost gas station attendants, we also lost the 'ding-ding' when you would pull into the station. I put that sound into Hot Wheels.

5 months later
#8476 1 year ago

So who delivered newspapers as a kid? In the early 70s I used one of these carts that I would pull along as I rode my Schwinn varsity when i delivered Newsday after school and Saturday and Sunday mornings. Wednesday we would get inserts to take home and then add to the Sunday paper for which we got paid a few extra cents. Sunday deliveries had to be done by some early ass hour. Worst part was having to go collect money each week. Had this little green book to keep track of charges and payments. There was one handicapped old lady on my route and once a week I had to take the garbage out for her and she was still a poor tipper.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#8495 1 year ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

[quoted image]

Don’t forget they also use the whale mold as Santa Claus.

B3A38812-5153-420D-9733-AF3A167B99A2 (resized).pngB3A38812-5153-420D-9733-AF3A167B99A2 (resized).png

1 month later
#8675 1 year ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Likely only in NY, NJ?
6 yr old fav TV show 1965-6

and in the year 2000

This took me way way back.

I remember the song better than what he looked like.

1 month later
#8833 1 year ago

while searching for something in my basement , stumbled across this.

2773D5D9-EE45-4008-B63E-B1878512F3F7 (resized).jpeg2773D5D9-EE45-4008-B63E-B1878512F3F7 (resized).jpeg

This is one of those, that if you know what it is, it will make you smile and likely bring back a memory.

1 month later
#8990 1 year ago

I remember watching it live, I was in grad school and in my apartment. I knew immediately things went wrong even while the commentators continued talking about it as if all was well.

1 month later
#9157 10 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Which one of these TV memories resonates with you?
1) Ring around the collar.
2) Only you can prevent forest fires.
3) Watch out for the other guy
4) Us Tareyton smokers would rather fight than switch
5) I'd walk a mile for a Camel
6) Ladies, please don't squeeze the Charmin
7) Heinz loses.
8 ) I wish I was an Oscar Meyer Weiner
9) White Cloud. It doesn't feel like toilet paper.
10) Brylcreem, a little dab will do ya.
11) Pennzoil. The "ask for" motor oil

3 and 7 did not register.

A couple more that fit well with this list . . .

Ancient Chinese secret
Reach out and touch someone
hot n juicy, hot n juicy, hot n juicy
I can't believe I ate the whole thing

1 month later
#9337 8 months ago

anyone ever have one of these?

IMG_7805 (resized).jpegIMG_7805 (resized).jpeg

#9347 8 months ago
Quoted from andylama:

35mm film cartridge loader.
Back in the day, if you shot a LOT of film, it was worth it to roll your own. Saved about 40% on the net cost of the film.

Of course we might have to explain film and developing your own to some of the youngsters around here. I kind of miss that darkroom smell.

While I don’t have the roller anymore, I do still have a couple of the metal tins the spool of film came in.

5 months later
#9689 78 days ago

My brother was on and his episode aired the morning after we had some family event where we did not get home until after 1am, but had to get up a few hours later to watch him. He did get on camera and I want to say he won a skittle bowl.

#9690 77 days ago
Quoted from rosh:

My brother was on and his episode aired the morning after we had some family event where we did not get home until after 1am, but had to get up a few hours later to watch him. He did get on camera and I want to say he won a skittle bowl.

So I shared the video with my brother and got the following response, who knew . . .

"Fucking snake cans is cruel. You build up a kids dream of a new bicycle only to have them dashed in a shocking explosion of reptile and confetti. I am still traumatized by that experience and I think it explains a lot about my trust issues."

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rosh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-were-your-favorite-childhood-toys?tu=rosh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.