shot0030 (resized).png
7c12510a8e5f1a58d025bdd0dc5117bc (resized).jpg
Dip+a+flower (resized).jpg
Cap n Crunch sub toy (resized).jpg
diving sub (resized).jpg
Rice Krispies sub toy (resized).jpg
f890af8a42f259126904798df6acb92a (resized).jpg
MD Transformers (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rca1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#860 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Death Star baby

Woo Hoo! Christmas gold!
(I think we had the same TV.)

1 month later
#1026 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

here I am maneuvering my Verti-Bird!!!

I had that! You could really get the helicopter to whip around in circles.
(Love the couch!)

1 month later
#1100 6 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I cant believe I survived all the stuff we burned and blew up!

and lead paint, and leaded gas, and no seatbelts, no bike helmets, no cell phones, riding the open bed of a pickup truck............................
Ahh.............. to be a kid again..........................................

10 months later
#1315 6 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

And I still collect them to this very day. My kids love them too.

Wow. I remember the ads.

2 years later
#1824 3 years ago
Quoted from I-Closed-Wolskis:

Assortment of 80s and 90s toys[quoted image]

Do I see...............Don "The Majic Man" Majkowski?

3 months later
#1887 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Remember this one?[quoted image]

Wow.
We had a set of those! Tog'l Blocks.

#1941 3 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

Who else remembers loading programs from cassette tape?

Who else remembers being bummed out when reaching the memory limit trying to load a hand coded BASIC program?

4 weeks later
#2099 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

my problem started in 4 grade huffing those damn ditto papers

My parents were both teachers and made lots of their own hand-outs and tests. So they bought a ditto machine that we had at home.
Hand cranked rather than electric, but same thing with the ditto mater sheets and duplicating fluid.
What was in that fluid anyway?

1 month later
#2209 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

new box of Crayola crayons to use instead of my coffee can full of old broken ones.

Yeah! With the Built-In Sharpener on back. Sweet!

1 month later
#2634 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

Did anybody here ever buy the “next 6 albums over the next 2 years” to complete your Columbia House record club obligation?

I think my mailman used to steal albums.

1 month later
#3309 3 years ago

Wow, Quiz Wiz!
When we were in elementary school, my brother and I found a Quiz Wiz in the snowbank alongside the road while walking home from school one day.
It's possible that someone set it on top of the car and forgot it there when driving off, or something similar. I prefer to think that some frustrated player threw it out the window of a passing car.
It worked fine, and we had lots of fun with it. Only damage was a slightly water stained quiz book from being in the snow.

1 week later
#3500 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

This! Ricochet Racers was one of my two favorite toys when I was a kid. The other was this little helicopter on a wire that could only go in a circle with a wired control box. Don’t even remember the name of that one.

Mattel Vertibird
I remember playing with that on Christmas day.

09e1908dccda6d3a03e8bc06ca006108 (resized).jpg09e1908dccda6d3a03e8bc06ca006108 (resized).jpg
#3528 3 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

This one's a little obscure. Based on the huge popularity of Dungeons & Dragons, TSR released a cold war, cloak and dagger role playing game. It was pretty fun, kind of like acting out a James Bond movie or Frederick Forsyth novel. I did find that as the game master, I would sometimes have to be a little lenient with the dice rolls. It was pretty easy for characters to get killed. After all, no one who just spent an hour rolling up a character wants to just have him shot dead in the first ten minutes.
[quoted image]

Our D&D group played Top Secret also. We also played a TSR western game called "Boot Hill". Anybody remember that one?

1979-boot-hill-wild-west-tsr-705-role_1_86cd2e4f826a922fda1d0e681e7b4ff9 (resized).jpg1979-boot-hill-wild-west-tsr-705-role_1_86cd2e4f826a922fda1d0e681e7b4ff9 (resized).jpg
#3599 3 years ago

Since we're on to cereal, I have to link in this classic explanation of "Kaboom" cereal.
The saddest cereal ever made.

http://ace.mu.nu/archives/343109.php

#3630 3 years ago
Quoted from onemoresean:

I had the same track! I also had this small set that had AFX cars with headlights.[quoted image]

That's the set I had.
I remember Jackie Stewart on the box!

2 months later
#4582 2 years ago
Quoted from electricsquirrel:

When I was in seventh grade (1972), these stupid hats were very popular.
Everybody had one, including myself.[quoted image]

Oh, this is the worst-looking hat I ever saw. What, when you buy a hat like this I bet you get a free bowl of soup, huh?

Oh, it looks good on you though.

2 weeks later
#4649 2 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

These used to be the favorites among us neighborhood kids back in the '70s:[quoted image]

With a riddle or joke printed on the inside bottom of the can. You got to read it when you finished the soda.
Even as kids, we knew it was the cheap stuff. My mom used to buy the cases of mixed flavors.

1 week later
#4790 2 years ago

1970s we had the same type insulated box on the porch that's shown above.
Company was "Jilbert Dairy" from Marquette, Mi.
I don't remember when home delivery ended.

#4884 2 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

Remember the old filmstrip projectors at school? The teacher would advance the filmstrip to the next frame by turning a knob after a tone sounded on a vinyl narration record. I can’t recall ever learning anything from a filmstrip. But I liked them since they killed time in class with zero effort from me.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

It always seemed like the teacher would be out of sync with the audio by one frame and never realized.

1 month later
#5208 2 years ago

We had a couple of this style merry go round in parks near us.
Not sure how no one died.

e58ae990e713331bb04600ecedd16866--carousels-pull (resized).jpge58ae990e713331bb04600ecedd16866--carousels-pull (resized).jpg
#5248 2 years ago

Looking at this thread while the Pinside image server is apparently down.
Anyone remember the old BBS systems with text only?

I think we mentioned the Commodore text adventure games already.

1 week later
#5402 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Ok, then Kiss ups the ante with a KISS Kasket. To get people to pay extra to get buried in this coffin is master marketing.
https://www.famefocus.com/celebrity/10-unusual-products-endorsed-by-big-name-celebs/2/
[quoted image]

I kinda want to do this, just to see the reaction when some future archeologist digs up me and my Kiss coffin.

Edit: Excuse my, Kiss Kasket, not coffin.

2 weeks later
#5544 2 years ago
Quoted from andrewket:

My grandparents bought me a die cast space ship for my birthday that became one of my favorites during my younger years. I brought it in to school for show and tell and they took it away from me because it had two yellow rockets that “fired” from the end of the wings. They required my parents to come and get it, which they never did. I never saw it again.
I’ve searched a few times on google and eBay, but I’ve never seen one. Of course this was 40 years ago (1982?), so who knows how accurate my memory is. It had landing gear that moved in/out, and I think the wings had two positions.
It’s funny how small things during our childhood can have a lasting impact.

Battlestar Galactica viper?
http://www.toysyouhad.com/Bstar.htm

1 week later
#5715 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Search engines are about one thing, and one thing only: making money. Please give me an example of a “controversial” subject where the results are “censored”.

I liked it better when no one was tracking what you looked up in the dictionary, encyclopedia, or the Sears catalog.

4 weeks later
#5997 2 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

I went to many summer ball games at Wrigley Field with my Dad back in the 60s. I liked eating the snacks there as much as watching the game. My favorite was a frozen chocolate malt cup called Frosty Malt sold by roaming vendors hollering “Hey! Frosty Malt!”
[quoted image][quoted image]

Wow. Schlitz and Old Style. What a choice!
I might go with Frosty Malt too.

#6010 2 years ago

Maybe from my grandparents childhood.
Took a ride in a 1928 Ford Tri-motor today.

20210814_151712.jpg20210814_151712.jpg20210814_153048.jpg20210814_153048.jpg20210814_154846.jpg20210814_154846.jpg
#6039 2 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Is no one going to ask what is wrong with that propeller?

It was straight when we took off and straight when we landed. All the pics out the window it looks like it was crazy bent.
Either a digital photo thing, or that sucker really bends when in motion.

1 week later
#6171 2 years ago

The electric scooter carts at the grocery store used to be for people with injuries or the elderly and frail.
Now it's all lardasses.

2 weeks later
#6275 2 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

the country and life as we know it is going to end soon

I call dibs on your pins when life as we know it ends!

2 weeks later
#6394 2 years ago

Growing up, we were 15 miles from what was rumored to be the third largest stockpile of nuclear weapons in the US.
KI Sawyer air base in Michigan's Upper Peninsula was not that far from the Soviet Union if you fly straight over the North Pole.
They had B-52's and fighters that we would see flying over once in a while.
A B-52 flying low for practice is pretty impressive.
We always figured that if things went bad, we would just be vaporized and wouldn't even know what happened.

SAwyer2 (resized).pngSAwyer2 (resized).pngSawyer (resized).pngSawyer (resized).png
2 months later
#6860 2 years ago

Shouldn't that be for New Year's Day?

2 weeks later
#6944 2 years ago
Quoted from Liftserv:

You still find them on forklifts, we call them suicide knobs.

I have known a few people with them installed, since they are pretty cool.
They are, however, very illegal here in Michigan. They are sort of unsafe since it's easy to catch your sleeve or anything else on them.
They are awesome for spinning donuts in the snow though.

Edit: Huh. Apparently I was wrong about legality. Wonder if that changed at some point.
I know that we were always told you really didn't want to get pulled over with one.

2 weeks later
#7062 2 years ago
Quoted from DCP:

I recognize Oaklane's gymnasium in the background of this photo of the delivery of the jet:

The Wikipedia article that Cottonm4 linked includes what happened to that actual aircraft.

129622 - Phoenix, Arizona. Ex VA-34 / VA-12 aircraft that was flown to Naval Air Reserve Training Unit (NARTU) Glenview, NAS Glenview, Illinois, where it was sporadically flown by Naval Air Reserve pilots and used for instruction of enlisted Naval Reserve aircraft maintenance personnel; ownership was then transferred to the Northbrook East Civic Association and the aircraft was moved to the Oaklane Elementary School for playground use. It was subsequently removed and dissected to be sold for its engines. Forward fuselage was part of Earl Reinart's collection in Mundelein, Illinois, while the rest of the aircraft went to J-46 dragster builder Fred Sibley in Elkhart, Indiana. Its components are currently reunited in the collection of F7U historian Al Casby.

Apparently the current owner is trying to make one complete aircraft from two.

https://warbirdwatcher.com/2017/01/30/project-cutlass-vought-f7u-restoration/

2 weeks later
#7116 2 years ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

I think the only high school class I got more benefit from was typing.

Our school system had a required typing class for everyone in middle school. I think it was 8th grade. Hated it when I had to take it. Ended up being useful.
Our high school had a good selection of "shop" classes. Woodwork, metalwork, welding, auto mechanics, building trades. I took drafting which was all pencil on paper. Learned useful stuff that still translates to CAD drafting a million years later.
Wish I had taken welding.

#7145 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

In 1976, after mowing lawns, cleaning pools, and doing magic shows, I saved up enough for my first car.

I kinda want to hear more about the magic shows now.

2 weeks later
#7231 2 years ago

I was going to ask who remembers the 7 oz Miller shorty bottles, but apparently they are still made.

e40e80c7-9d23-454d-a44b-d03ef2a28181_1.9e2baa6fd4d3c4e22d5c7688a516c595 (resized).jpege40e80c7-9d23-454d-a44b-d03ef2a28181_1.9e2baa6fd4d3c4e22d5c7688a516c595 (resized).jpeg
#7244 2 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Yeah....and anyone remember making necklaces out of the pop tabs (found littering the beaches and sidewalks)?

My brother recently reminded me that when we were kids, our grandfather had pull tab chains strung from the ceiling in his basement.
He enjoyed an occasional beer.

1 week later
#7325 2 years ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

Too funny. We did have two t.v.s growing up but the "big tv" I think was 27". The basement "kids" tv was 19" and we broke the channel knob arguing over which of the 13 stations were we going to watch. From then on out, it was vice grips for turning stations
[quoted image]

Current picture. Working 12" B&W in the spare bedroom. Nothing but class, baby!

20220303_201635 (resized).jpg20220303_201635 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#7424 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I used to watch Marlin Perkins religiously. I like watching the other guy jump in the water and wrestle with the big snakes.

Marlin voiceover - We returned to camp, while Jim wrestled the alligator.

1 week later
#7444 2 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:Here's my Comet/youth memory. Went to a new school for my grade 9 year. First week of school we're hanging out at the convenience store across the street from the school when some kid throws some bread for the pigeons hanging around. Him and his buddy are laughing. He put some Comet on the bread and poisoned/killed two birds. I immediately got in his face, he pushed me back and I one punched him. Broke his nose and got suspended for a week. Totally worth it. What a loser. Great introduction to my new classmates!

Here's one from my High School.
Dude A is dating a girl. She breaks up with him and starts dating Dude B.
Shortly after, Dude B's pickup truck completely dies, unexpectedly.
Motor is completely dead, no oil pressure, no compression.
He checks it out and finds Comet spilled on the top of the motor, near the oil fill cap.
No way to prove Dude A did it, but we all knew. Loser.
And no, it didn't last for Dude B either. He ended up marying a nice girl from California.

2 weeks later
#7510 1 year ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I was thinKing about this toy line. I think I owned exactly one.

We (brother and I) had the SSP Demo Derby set.
It was awesome!

3 weeks later
#7625 1 year ago
Quoted from ClarkGriswold:

That's the Magnavox Odyssey 2 - released in 1978 (yes, as a competitor to the popular Atari 2600), BUT the original Odyssey from Magnavox was released years before (1972) the Atari 2600 (1977) and is the true OG of home consoles. It was the very first to offer different games on ROM cartridges (sold separately of course).[quoted image]

Does that have toasters for controllers?

1 week later
#7647 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

That POS would be like being in a hot car with the windows up. And not a bit of shade if the owner is walking eastbound in the afternoon.

Mmmm.... Roast duck.

#7656 1 year ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Remember the VCR tape rental stores? They popped up all over, you could even buy a membership for discount rentals.
[quoted image]

I remember leaving a $50 paper check as a deposit at the video rental place. You bring the movie back, you get your check back. They cash the check if you don't. Carried the same check written to the store for a couple years, using it whenever we got a movie.

#7669 1 year ago

People are nutz!
Next thing you know, they'll be trying to sell old pinball machines for big bucks!

1 week later
#7697 1 year ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Picked this up today for a couple bucks at a sale. Trucks are great. Smooth wheels. Can't find any marks or signage. Any help appreciated.

That looks like my middle school skateboard. Except mine was solid yellow.
I think it was from Sears, or maybe Montgonery Ward.

1 month later
#7976 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Amana's ( long defunct company ) offering was called a Radarange.

Amana still exists, and produces Amana brand appliances. It's part of Whirlpool.
"If it's not an Amana, it's not a Radarange."

2 weeks later
#8030 1 year ago

My parents were both teachers.
We had a ditto machine at home so they could make assignment sheets and class handouts.

5830308994_a26177db20 (resized).jpg5830308994_a26177db20 (resized).jpg
4 months later
#8537 1 year ago

I remember having one of these as a child.

DisPin (resized).jpgDisPin (resized).jpg
1 month later
#8765 1 year ago
Quoted from mooch:

The A&W I used to go to when I was a kid is now a Chinese restaurant.
[quoted image]

The A&W where I grew up was a summer staple.
Closed in the winter, drive in with roller-skating car hops in the summer.
It closed and became a chinese restaurant. The chinese restaurant was then torn down and replaced by a credit union.
The root beer floats were great.

#8825 1 year ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Reggie wheeled a shopping cart of used balls out to second base

"Hey, Reggie, how many balls you gonna hit?"
"I'm a little tired today, so just one cart."

1 month later
#8890 1 year ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

In 1968 he was a cast member on The Banana Splits in a live action serial "Danger Island" (directed by Richard Donner!):

What kind of drugs were Sid and Marty Krofft on, and how did their shows get on children's TV?

the_banana_splits_adventure_hour_tv_series-553713577-large (resized).jpgthe_banana_splits_adventure_hour_tv_series-553713577-large (resized).jpg
4 weeks later
#9024 11 months ago
20230427_200350 (resized).jpg20230427_200350 (resized).jpg20230427_200402 (resized).jpg20230427_200402 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#9099 10 months ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Are these from right after they invented magnets?

At 2 for 29 cents, yes. Yes they are.

1 month later
#9175 9 months ago

Dear clumsy bellboys, brutal cab drivers, careless doormen, ruthless porters, savage baggage masters, and all butter-fingered luggage handlers, all over the world... Have we got a suitcase for you.

4 months later
#9501 4 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

I was a little kid. Yes.
LTG : )

If we ever meet in person, I'll buy you a burger, since I feel bad for little kid LTG now.

1 month later
#9619 86 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Anybody ever ride the bus?
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Only the school bus.

4LUMZLXN5ZNH7JXXJHB25P3TWA (resized).png4LUMZLXN5ZNH7JXXJHB25P3TWA (resized).pngFR3SUZKQGBKH7MT62HH7R46C7M (resized).jpgFR3SUZKQGBKH7MT62HH7R46C7M (resized).jpg
#9621 86 days ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

He may have belonged on the short bus.
[quoted image]

True story: I rode the short bus every morning of my senior year in high school.

Our small town high school had several shared classes with tbe neighboring school distrcts. About 15 of us took the short bus to the neighboring high school for second year chemistry, which our school did not offer.

#9628 82 days ago
Quoted from DarthPaul:

What's a School Bus? ln NYC, public transportation was your school bus.

Public transportation, what's that?
In rural America there aren't random busses running around. The only busses are those operated by the school districts to take kids from home to school and back.

#9632 81 days ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

I grew up in a small town, rode my bike in grade school (1/2 mile), junior high (1 mile) and high school until I got a license (1 mile). In fourth or fifth grade I started band, playing the trombone and still rode my bike, balancing it between the handles of my sissy bars.

Uphill both ways.

3 weeks later
#9687 57 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

. The mid-level wonk laughed and guffawed about Airbus would never be a threat to Boeing

"and tightening bolts is over-rated." Same exec, probably.

1 month later
#9713 12 days ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

My Favorite Cereal toy!.....What was yours?[quoted image]

Freakies car. I remember crying so hard when my brother had one that my mom got another box just to shut me up.
I loved that stupid car though.
Thanks Mom!

s-l1600 (resized).pngs-l1600 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rca1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-were-your-favorite-childhood-toys?tu=rca1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.