BagofGlass (resized).jpg
434599499_10228561822663909_2493513439072746909_n (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2024-03-30 at 7.43.04 PM (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Big Chief pad (resized).png
stfu.gif
speedy-gonzales-movie-donald-trump (resized).jpg
IMG_4109 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinzrfun.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#816 7 years ago
Quoted from hooch333:

My son and I have been treasure hunting in the crawl spaces of the house today......found the old toys of mine from 70's.

I had one of those portable forts, I could swear it was called Fort Cheyenne....

Cool thread

3 years later
#1539 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I use to love this remote helicopter that went around in circles and was connected with a straight wire. It could land and take off and pick things up. It was pretty simple but loads of fun. Always wanted to get one for my kids but could never find it. If you know what I am talking about, love to know the name of it. Thanks.

I used to have that! We'd get it going full blast and smash it into the ground. Thing took a lickin' and kept on tickin'.

1 year later
#2546 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

Not sure how common these were— but as a kid in the 60s, whenever I went to the dentist they gave me a free toothbrush in a container shaped like a wiener dog. The ends fit together to make a little toy dog.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

OMG, i remember those! There are so many lost memories that get dredged up from this thread! it's great.

4 weeks later
#2878 3 years ago
Panasonic_-RQ-711S (resized).jpgPanasonic_-RQ-711S (resized).jpg
2 months later
#4057 3 years ago
Quoted from JayDee:

Bozo record-readers from ‘46, ‘47, and ‘48

RIP to Bozo, as of yesterday.

4 months later
#5598 2 years ago

I still have this on my table in the game room.

It was fun telling guys I had the full size one in the garage, which invariably led to a quick rip around the 'hood -

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg
#5669 2 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Cedar point amusement park in the 1980s. I would have been roughly twelve, had I been there that day.

And Cedar Point circa this past Sunday.........it's changed since 1983..........mostly the haircuts.

20210711_134343 (resized).jpg20210711_134343 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#5968 2 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

It was ‘78 before we finally got a color TV. It was still just over the air channels, even though my neighborhood was the pilot area for cable in our city in ‘77.

My side of town was just slightly more spread out than the OTHER side, which got cable a few years before we did. I remember my stepdad going crazy - "$17 a month to watch TV? We watch it for free right now!"

1 week later
#6089 2 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I had a aunt that I hated, the one that sued my grandfather along with my cousin because they didn’t like the way he was spending his money, that used to smoke a couple packs a day and didn’t care whose house or car it was. I used to put those things in every one of her cigarettes. She would wake up and grab for them and they would blow the end of the cigarette up in her face. She would cry and go back to bed or better yet leave. Thinking of it brings me pleasure. Who dies their father or grandfather. Fucking cnt

Wait a second, aren't you the bible thumper??

1 week later
#6189 2 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

The electric scooter carts at the grocery store used to be for people with injuries or the elderly and frail.
Now it's all lardasses.

I went ballistic on some fat ass that hopped on one of those carts when he spotted my wife with a broken foot hobbling towards it on her crutches. Almost dragged the mother f&$cker off it.

#6201 2 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Childhood games?
I remember playing with a friend that was a girl. She told me that girls and boys were not very different and to show me she pulled down her pants and bent over and gave me a good look at the goodies that I can still see in my head like it was yesterday. There is a huge difference. The problem was that her mother walked out and saw this. She pulled the girl in the house and beat her ass, I went home and we never got to play together again. Probably better for her as i never amounted to much.

I can remember the first time I realized there was a difference between boys and girls. When we were very young, my brother, sister and I (probably 4, 5 and 6 years old) were playing dress up in our basement with the girl across the street, who was probably 12. We were putting on moms heels and hats and trying to walk across the floor, and when the girl across the street put them on, and swung her little hips and walked much better than we could, I remember it was like a light bulb turned on - it wasn't sexual or anything at that age, but I knew there was something different about girls right then and there, and that I liked whatever it was.

2 weeks later
#6308 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I remember watching “Star 80”, a movie about Dorothy Stratton’s life and death. Sad story.

I had the hots for Mariel Hemingway and badgered my 2 buddies into going to see it....my god, they ragged on me about that for YEARS. I was never able to choose another movie lol.

2 months later
#6751 2 years ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

I remember Stuckey's - we use to argue how it was pronounced (long U or short U - it's long, rhymes with lucky)

The would be a short u, as in lucky -

Long u is "oo", as in Lucy....

Now back to our originally scheduled program.

3 weeks later
#6887 2 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

In 1976 I bought one of these. Might not be the right version. I remember I sent about ten inquiries within the book. I was 9. They all responded and I got my free stuff.
[quoted image]

I remember being around 11 or so, and realizing i could send away for things and get stuff in the mail, which is fun at that age. All of those postcard-like inserts that would fall out of magazines, like recruitment cards/info on the Army or Air Force. After about a month though, salesmen started coming to the house, not knowing it was a little kid inquiring about their stuff, and we got a visit or 2 from armed forces recruiters - Mom put a stop to the mail thing pretty quick.

1 month later
#7188 2 years ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

I dropped my college prep courses and took small engine repair, big engine repair, and welding my senior year. Went into the Army and then college afterwards when I was more ready. Those shop classes were life skills I have used my entire life. I think the only high school class I got more benefit from was typing. Didn't hurt that I was like the only guy in that class either
[quoted image]

I also dropped college prep courses to take the easy way out and took auto mechanics w my friends. I wish I hadnt. It was fun, i learned a few things, but nothing I really wouldn't have picked up later in life hanging w the same friends like i did. I think I'd have gotten more going the college prep route. At 17 or 18 I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I even contemplated purposely failing 12th grade to buy another year to figure things out.

Still working on it. I'll be 58 in a couple months lol

1 week later
#7309 2 years ago

When we were a bit older, my buddy and I would go out on Sunday mornings to the pet store to get feeder fish for his aquarium.

We'd get baked on the way there, then go to Chuck E Cheese next door and play some video games then order a pitcher of beer and a pizza and watch the animatronic show.

V46OLML34RGJDMYYIYJH2WUGDM (resized).jpgV46OLML34RGJDMYYIYJH2WUGDM (resized).jpg
3 months later
#7880 1 year ago

I bought a game on an online auction last year and there were a couple old cigarette machines that went for like $25 - kinda wish I'd bid on one.

#7890 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Remember the summer of '75?
Wishing you all a happy July 4th holiday.
( You might want to stay out of the water

I remember it well, i was 11 -

Grew up around the water, dad has always owned sailboats and powerboats (he has at least 4 now), and back them us kids used to row around in a little dinghy exploring - I distinctly remember sitting in the bow, looking down into the water and imagining a huge shark coming up at us - scared the crap out of my little 11 year old self -

#7933 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Saaay, you are an old fart. General Motors made it a mission to hide the gas caps I did not start pumping gas until the early 70s and did not see these very often. And I would be scratching head when the old iron rolled in.

MY 77 Trans Am had it behind the license plate - flip it down and fill 'er up.

2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg
2 months later
#8216 1 year ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Old models that I am going to get again!
[quoted image]

I remember that one!

Along w all the old Aurora ones!

2 months later
#8479 1 year ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Finding money when you were a kid was pretty awesome. When I was fairly young, we had a neighbor that let us go through their entire garage and collect any loose change my brother and I could find. There was literally coins everywhere in their cluttered garage. After they parked their cars they must of just thrown any loose change they had all over. We couldn't make sense of it but whatever. We both collected a small fortune that day.

When I was a young teen, probably 13 or 14, a friends younger brother (prob 5 or 6) got into his moms purse and took out about $50 in cash and was giving it to everyone in the neighborhood - i can remember his mom running around the neighborhood trying to find all the kids he'd given it to - she wasnt that worried about little kids, but some of us were old enough to walk to a store and actually spend it on something.............

1 week later
#8501 1 year ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I graduated high school with chuck who was their drummer on the 'So Far, So Good... So What! ' album

Arguably their best album......

4 weeks later
#8632 1 year ago
Quoted from mooch:

Remember this “Invisible Dog on a Leash” gag?
My buddy’s girlfriend had one of these.
https://www.weirduniverse.net/blog/comments/invisible_dog_on_a_leash
[quoted image]

I had one of those to!

I love this thread, revives long-forgotten memories of my childhood!

1 month later
#8770 1 year ago

PRob a half dozen A&Ws within 30 minutes of me.

#8790 1 year ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I have some really fond memories of the classic Pizza Hut growing up. We would meet up with our little league sports teams and have team events and celebrations there. The pizza back then was super tasty-still being made from scratch without additives. The deep dish taste along with a Coca Cola in those classic red plastic cups(Coke taste the best out of these cups) being poured from pitchers. Now I call Pizza Hut-Pizza Slut and the taste is not nearly the same as it used to be.
I love the red plastic cups from back in the day so much I bought a bunch for my home. Nothing like drinking a classic Coca Cola in these red plastic glasses(must have ice cubes )

Totally agree!

Back in the early 80's, I went white water rafting in Pennsylvania w about 5 other guys. We rolled into town on Friday evening and checked into the hotel. There was a Pizza Hut across the street, so we wandered over for dinner. Being young and cost conscious (broke), we asked how much a pitcher of beer was, and the waitress said "Oh, the beer is free". We laughed and said no, really, how much is the beer.... Then she said "We're new here, and they only allow a certain number of liquor licenses and we couldn't get one, but there's no law against us giving away free beer, and it's worth it to get the softball team business. So the beer is free."

We all looked at each other, ordered a pitcher for ourselves, got EXTREMELY drunk, and left a huge tip. I think. It's kinda fuzzy.

1 month later
#8864 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I still have my mom's enameled cooker, or whatever it is called. I used it 20 years ago as a steamer for bending some flame maple wood for a case for a 3-monitor setup I still use and am using as I write this. Steaming the wood for this project was quite the experience.

When I was around 13, i helped my dad replace some ribs in the hull of his wooden sailboat - he built a steam box to make the wood pliable -

I can remember opening that box (cedar, smelled great), tossing that hot piece of wood up to the guy on the boat, pounding it into the hull and watching it bend along the curve of the boat. Havent thought of that for 35 years.

4 weeks later
#8970 1 year ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Try THIRTY SEVEN years, not 27.

That needs to be in the "You Know You Are Old" thread! lol

2 weeks later
#9080 11 months ago

A sponge and bucket of water used to keep me occupied.

20201217_191403 (resized).jpg20201217_191403 (resized).jpg
#9085 11 months ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Back on topic and related to Giger, I was 14 years old in 1979 when Alien was released. It was my 1st R rated movie. A friend and I paid to see 'Hooper' and snuck into Alien instead. I was amazed by the effects, totally sucked into the story, and almost passed out during the chest-burster scene. To say that movie made an impact on that 14-year-old is an understatement.

i remember sneaking into Dawn of the Dead at about the same age, and that first scene where the zombie takes a chunk out of the womans neck, I was like holy shit, now I know why they dont want kids in here.......

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
#9089 11 months ago

Not really a "toy", but this ranks right up there with favorite things ever bought in my life.....not sure if this was the day I brought home the amp or the guitar but it applies to both -

In a way I've always pictured music stuff like pinball - you can buy a pin / guitar / amp, and if you take care of it it'll last you decades. You can spend thousands on upgrades but don't HAVE to, it's up to you.

20191108_154150 (resized).jpg20191108_154150 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#9186 10 months ago
Quoted from DarthPaul:

I remember getting Skittle Pool one Christmas and the 8 ball was missing. I think my Mom bought it at Child World. I remember going back to the store with her and she took an 8 ball out of one of the boxes on the shelf and we left. Of course I was happy to now be able to play with it and I know my Mom was just trying to make me happy but it bothered me that now someone else is going to be missing an 8 ball.

That was you???

Bastard! Ruined my 7th birthday!

2 weeks later
#9228 9 months ago
Quoted from Sputnik:

Was that one found in the White house?

Maybe during the Carter administration.........

#9240 9 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

How many remember when this movie hit the screens ?
This on blew the lid off of any previous car chase scenes.

No CGI there, bitches, that's some real Detroit steel.

When that Charger gets airborne at the end you can tell those guys are hauling ass.

4 weeks later
#9328 8 months ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Speaking of childhood memories... When I was kid we would go on snowmobile trips in Northern Wi. The placed we rented a cabin from had a lodge. We would go there for breakfast and hang out at in the evening. My parents would sit at the bar and my dad would hand my sister and I handful of quarters to keep us busy. One of my first memories of playing pinball and EM arcades.
They also had a jukebox. And at the time I thought "Convoy" was a badass song. I discovered it on there and played it repeatedly. After a couple times some of the bar patrons started to groan. By about the fourth time someone said something to the effect of "who keeps giving that kid quarters?" Ha ha. My dad told me to cut it out and play pinball.

Reminds me of a funny story - my buddy and I used to get stoned on Sunday mornings on the way to the pet store to get feeder fish for his aquarium. There was a Pizza Hut next door (back when they used to be good). We went in there about 11am one Sunday, after-church crowd rolling in, and there were a couple Judas Priest songs on the jukebox. We played them, and on the way out dropped a couple dollars in and played the same one about 8 times for everyone else to enjoy.

1 week later
#9366 8 months ago

This was in the 80s when I still lived at home -

If you look above the amp there's a promo pic of Heather Locklear from Vic Tanny's (now Bally's). She was their spokesperson for a little while and I had the hots for her. I went to the local Vic Tanny and told them I was a teachers assistant and that the kids had voted "BJ and the Bear" their favorite TV show. The person says "Let me guess, they voted Heather Locklear as their favorite actress". I said "Yep - got any promo stuff you could part with?"

They loaded me up with multiple posters, cardboard stand ups of different sizes, buttons, all kinda cool stuff. I still have some of it tucked away someplace along with almost all of the posters in the background, whhich wrap all te way around the room.

20191108_154222 (resized).jpg20191108_154222 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#9418 7 months ago

I remember being on vacation on the early 80s and my stepmom having a phone w a huge battery pack and an antenna w a big round magnetic base we'd set on top of the car.

Being in logistics my entire life, I remember those alphanumeric pagers coming out too, it was great, drivers didn't have to pull over to find a pay phone to call dispatch. Then came Nextel, that was the cats ass too, 2 way radios.

My first video camera, around 1987, was about $1700 at Highland Appliance, it held a video cassette. Man we had fun w that thing. One year my buddy and I went through a stack of tapes and created a "best of" tape that spanned a few years. Funny clips from parties, wiping out water skiing, camping, drinking, being young. We even dubbed music and titles into it. We threw it in at a party nonchalantly one day, and when it ended 90minutes later our friends jumped up and said "You gotta make me a copy of that!" I went into the other room and grabbed the copies I'd made ( now on CD) and handed them out. It was great.

1 month later
#9508 5 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

Yes.
One time my hamburger fell out of the bun and rolled under the counter.
The ladies working there wouldn't give it back.
I was sad.
LTG : )

I'm trying to picture a hamburger hitting the ground and rolling?

Hot dog, yes, but.....?

2 months later
#9634 3 months ago

My ex wouldnt let her son walk to school because the one intersection he had to cross (with hundreds of other kids crossing it every day) was "too busy, people get hit there". She would drive 3 miles out of her way to avoid other "dangerous" intersections.

She didn't let him take college courses at the downtown Detroit college campus (where I and thousands of females students attended every year) because it was, well, downtown Detroit. This kid is in his 20s, 6', 170lbs. I told her "Seriously? He's the kind of person OTHER people are afraid of, you think someone is gonna try to kidnap HIM?"

Helicopter parenting at its worst.

2 months later
#9708 41 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Where were you in '64?
60 years and 3 days ago.
[quoted image]

Well, from Jan 1st to June 1st, in my moms tummy - June 2nd, 1964, lookout bitches, here he is!

Gonna be 60 in a few months - crazy.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinzrfun.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-were-your-favorite-childhood-toys?tu=pinzrfun and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.