shot0030 (resized).png
7c12510a8e5f1a58d025bdd0dc5117bc (resized).jpg
Dip+a+flower (resized).jpg
Cap n Crunch sub toy (resized).jpg
diving sub (resized).jpg
Rice Krispies sub toy (resized).jpg
f890af8a42f259126904798df6acb92a (resized).jpg
MD Transformers (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinworthy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 7 years ago

Lego (I had 3 colors of bricks and no "kits")
AFX slot cars, got this exact set one xmas
flying_turns_(resized).JPGflying_turns_(resized).JPG

Toy guns were big, I had this
red_river_(resized).jpgred_river_(resized).jpg

but coveted this one my buddy had
Johnny-Seven_Johnnyseven_toy-gun_toy-rifle_one-man-army_(resized).jpgJohnny-Seven_Johnnyseven_toy-gun_toy-rifle_one-man-army_(resized).jpg

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

Also had fun with the SSP evel K.

Totally forgot about SSP's, they were awesome.

Quoted from o-din:

I built a lot of plastic models when I was a kid. Most of them I blew up with m-80s.

I'm sure I built that same 1/2 track .. wasn't it something about Rommel?

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from belairjoe:

ah....the old model blow up...great memories of working for hours only to hope upon hope it would catch fire after blow up! never happen so we just lit ourselves...

Squeeze out some model cement on it before you light the firecracker

#185 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Oh we could go on andon ...

Yeah this thread has stirred up a bunch of memories. We didn't have creepy crawlers but we had this:image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg
I was pissed when they stopped making the edible goop, the cinnamon flavor was great

#187 7 years ago

I saw the vibrating football but was never a big fan did anybodyelse have this one
image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg
I played this a ton, wish I still had it

#270 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Does anyone remember these little Wee Gee squirt guns? They didn't hold a lot of water, but they shot very far and accurate little blasts ...

Small enough to carry around school and not get busted

#344 7 years ago

I see what you did there

#465 7 years ago
Quoted from electricsquirrel:

One year I got BOTH of these.
It was a great Christmas!

Steam_(resized).pngBB1_(resized).jpg

OK gotta tell a couple stories related to those two toys

So when I was a kid I found a car like this in a box in the basement (belonged to my dad as a kid)
$_57_(resized).JPG$_57_(resized).JPG
I never could make it run so in my young mind it was a worthless POS. One day a "friend" offers to trade me that for a Cox Baja bug like the one you posted.
OMG a RUNNING toy, well hell yes. So I trade it off without telling my dad ... only to find out some time later that I traded a $100+ antique for a $10 toy (that got busted in the end)

So years go by and I'm in my early 20's and engaged, for a birthday or xmas my German father-in-law-to-be (a machinist) bought me this (like your steam engine):
527771297_(resized).jpg527771297_(resized).jpg

go ahead a few years and I have a son. As he grows up I bring it out of the pkg, fire it up and let it run around on the floor. I end up getting divorced but let him keep it in his room. One day I ask about it and turns out he took it out to the sand box to play and then left of out in the rain and it is ruined I guess what goes around comes around

#471 7 years ago

Isn't that kind of the whole idea behind being a kid? Doing stupid shit?
I would be doing back flips if either of my kids played with a toy tractor in the sandbox, instead of playing Nintendo.
What the heck.....Besides, I'm pretty sure you can still get parts for those Wilesco tractors.
Great story!
E

Oh yeah stupid shit was my middle name as a kid ... that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger
I would have restored it but it was given away by his mom (ex's being ex's and all)

Quoted from Mr68:

Circle of life. Fun story.
I hope you were able to share it with your father.

Certainly is but I'm fortunate that overall my son isn't my punishment for being a kid . I wish I had the chance but things being what they are he passed away before we were ready to laugh at those things, so it never came up.

#472 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Here are 2 of my all time favs. Ebay has the complete bazooka kit for $650 and just the machine gun box for $50. Oh how I wish mom would have saved these. I also had the mortar.
s-l1600_(resized).jpg

s-l1600_(resized).jpg

If your name wasn't Paul I'd asked if you used to live across the street from me, that kid had a ton of cool toy guns.
He had a similar bazooka with rubber rounds and the mortar. He had a tripod mounted 50cal that looked similar but had a short belt clip that would feed through when you pulled the trigger. He also had the M-16 that you could slide back the charging handle it it would make noise:
mattel-m16-marauder-2_(resized).pngmattel-m16-marauder-2_(resized).png
His mom hated the noise so we always played army at my house.
Two more in his collection that I thought were cool, Agent Zero camera cap-gun
zerom1_(resized).jpgzerom1_(resized).jpg
Johnny Eagle was the best and instead of the Red River I used to wish my parents got me this :
magumba_(resized).jpgmagumba_(resized).jpg
but getting to play with it was just about a good

#489 7 years ago

wow I read though the thread and it seems like I have forgotten more than I remember
Spirograph, it was great but I think my mom got pretty sick of hanging the "artwork" on the fridge.

I was reminiscing with my brother and he reminded me about this
it broke fairly fast but planted a seed that eventually got me into aviation

We also talked about how with all boys my folks/grandparents got us toys that played together and I just realized nobody else brought up Tonka trucks:
I had the crane, one brother got the dump truck and another the bulldozer
tonka_(resized).pngtonka_(resized).png

#491 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm not sure how that idea would fly today.

But I agree, so many things we could do or buy back in the day that would never be allowed now

#495 7 years ago

#517 7 years ago

#534 7 years ago

This thread really has me reminiscing with family about the toys we had, and didn't have, as kids, my brother (who collects antiques including toys) reminded me about a gift he gave me a few years ago. This was one of the "I wish I had" back in the day and he found it for me, totally forgot it was on the shelf right next to the computer wind-up float plane that really floatsIMG_0248_(resized).JPGIMG_0248_(resized).JPG

Another one I want but never had...
Schaper u-fly-it

#536 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Interesting ad I just came across on craigslist. Do any of these look familier? I know we had we had a few.
lasvegas.craigslist.org link

Cool stuff. We had Tinkertoys at my grandparents house. The rollercoaster pics always brings up very vague memories of being 4 or 5 and having a windup trolley that ran back and forth on a tin layout. I'm going to have to dig around

#549 7 years ago

I see your

Quoted from o-din:

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

and raise you

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

#551 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You ever play warball in school? It's like dodgeball but with about 50 of those smaller rubber balls.

I don't remember that name specifically but the game sounds familiar

#562 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Coach lines up 50 balls midway on the tennis court. Two teams, on on the back of each side. When the whistle blows, it's game on!

Yeah we did play something like that inside the gym on snow-days, I just don't remember it being called warball (but it fits)

Quoted from jhanley:

Me,1959 . My kids are lucky.They don't have to take showers in PE like I had to.That sucked.

59 as well, there was something oddly sadistic about the way they forced us to shower.

#565 7 years ago
Quoted from pinworthy:

...The rollercoaster pics always brings up very vague memories of being 4 or 5 and having a windup trolley that ran back and forth on a tin layout. ...

I did some searching and it's funny how partial images in memory be so vivid. All I could really see in my mind was the shape and color of the engine but that was so clear in my mind when I saw this I knew it was it
tecknofix_loader_(resized).pngtecknofix_loader_(resized).png

So these weren't really "toys" but I spent a lot of my childhood with my head buried in the Tom Swift Jr. book series.
I was lucky enough to find decent examples of my favorites to give my son when he was younger but he never got into them like I did so took them back.
I still look for them at used book stores or antiques shops.

IMG_0418_(resized).JPGIMG_0418_(resized).JPG

#567 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

We played that same game in the 70's but it was called "bombardment". Whole lotta fun!

There ya go!!! bombardment... that was it!!

#597 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Looking back I guess we weren't without toys.

x a million.

As I have said this thread has got me reminiscing with family and I shocked at the reality of how many toys we had as kids ... and the cost.
I know that it doesn't apply to everyone but I would guess that , as kids (and some of us still to this day ), many of us thought the grass was greener at the neighbor’s house ... more or better stuff ... and now we look back realize we weren't really missing anything. My mother reminded me that when I was 6 or 7 I really wanted a G.I. Joe armored car (like a friend got for his birthday) but they couldn't find it anywhere so they got me the Jeep combat set and I was totally disappointed (thank goodness there was no video shows or you tube to show it and try an make money ).
jeep_(resized).pngjeep_(resized).png
At $10 it seems cheap but at the time it could have taken the whole family out to eat and I realize what a spoiled, ungrateful little prick I must have been. So often it is only the disappointments we remember and this thread really has me wishing my dad was still alive so I could tell him how amazing he made my childhood, with toys, experiences and most of all … knowledge.

#598 7 years ago

A bike was your lifeline if you lived in the suburbs!

Absolutely, not to mention the lack of worry by our parents if we took off for a few hours ... the dangers were minimal back then.

Without my bike I doubt I would have gotten into pinball as a kid ... the arcade was in a mall that was a 5 mile bike ride from the house.

#665 7 years ago

I guess my mom was right, then.
E

My mom was wrong ... I'm still not blind and don't have hairy palms

7 months later
#851 7 years ago

I was visiting family and showed my youngest brother this thread and he reminded me about Billy Blastoff which was a little astronaut with a battery backpack that power a couple vehicles

IMG_0008 (resized).PNGIMG_0008 (resized).PNG

#853 7 years ago

That was cool bb gun, my buddy had one but I hated trying to pull the barrel to cock the mechanism

1 month later
#942 7 years ago

My mom passed away recently and I have started going through the stuff stored in the basement. She still had my foto-electric football game I mentioned early in this thread and I found the original skittlebowl my grandparents gave me and two of my brothers for xmas (putting it around 1967 or 68)IMG_0696 (resized).JPGIMG_0696 (resized).JPG

3 years later
#2539 3 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Hey, it occurs to me that the thread title implies my childhood is over. "Were"?
I have way more toys now as a relatively successful old child than I did as an economically disadvantaged young child.
I even just picked up, at an auction, the same model stereo I had in my bedroom as a teenager! After unseizing the turntable (a victim of the same grease they used on EM steppers, apparently) it's like I'm back in my parents' house! I keep expecting to be told, "TURN IT DOWN!"
[quoted image]

I could never convince my parents to let me have an all in one stereo in my room, so at 16 I used my very first paycheck to buy one of these (not mine just pic I found) you got me thinking of grabbing one on eBay for fun

3A177F0B-38C5-47C9-97FC-2484DA5375EC (resized).png3A177F0B-38C5-47C9-97FC-2484DA5375EC (resized).png
#2550 3 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Well at least with that you never had your parents yell up for you to “turn it down!” did you? Right Mike?

Well Greg, the whole story is that at about 14 I found an old set of stereo speakers in the basement (my dad liked to build Heathkit electronics) and I took them up and wired them to my am/fm clock radio, not much fidelity but plenty of noise ... that MIGHT have contributed to my parents decision

Quoted from cottonm4:

What a difference 40 years makes.

No kidding

1 month later
#3404 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

Did you ever mail away for some item you wanted from the back of a cereal box, or some similar offer? The first thing I ever got this way was a Dennis the Menace cereal spoon. I was so excited to get this in the mail! This offer was from the year 1961, so I was only 4 years old.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Not Dennis the Menace but I still have the Campbell Soup Boy spoon (need to try and find my Welch’s Jelly Flintstone glasses)

81AFD63B-56CE-4CE2-AEFD-BA59C3F7FF57 (resized).jpeg81AFD63B-56CE-4CE2-AEFD-BA59C3F7FF57 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#3565 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

My parents and grandparents all kept their shoe shine stuff in a cool wooden box. It looked like something you would bring to the airport to make a few quick bucks shining shoes. I’ve still got some polish and a brush, but I just stash it in a cabinet. No cool box.

I still have a box

87D07617-9185-40AC-9FEB-76AE097DD853 (resized).jpeg87D07617-9185-40AC-9FEB-76AE097DD853 (resized).jpeg
#3573 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

How about a good ol’ wooden magazine rack?
[quoted image]

No but I keep a basket next to the throne... does that count?

5BA88889-0C91-4EE1-BD2A-2DC4CC04E714 (resized).jpeg5BA88889-0C91-4EE1-BD2A-2DC4CC04E714 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#3983 3 years ago

when I was little my grandfather always carried a bag of Brachs wintergreen lozenges in his pocket and would slip them to me when mom wasn't looking2021-02-19 09_17_26-brachs wintergreen losenges - Google Search (resized).jpg2021-02-19 09_17_26-brachs wintergreen losenges - Google Search (resized).jpg

Was it just me or was the Pick-A-Mix stand at the store an impossible temptation to not grab a couple Royals if nobody was looking?2021-02-19 09_16_40-brachs pick a mix - Google Search (resized).jpg2021-02-19 09_16_40-brachs pick a mix - Google Search (resized).jpg

#4003 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I'd still like to have one of those other style of knives where the blade just slides forward and out of the sheath. And then I would take it apart to see how it worked

Like this?
stiletto1.gifstiletto1.gif

A buddy brought me that back from Italy back in the late 70s.

When I was about 13-14 my family visited San Francisco and in a shop in China town I found a keychain with a small working switchblade (2" open) I had to sneak back to the store and buy it without my parent knowledge ... I was a huge hit with the kids on the block when I got it home. Looked like this pic I found2021-02-19 20_12_09-Vintage Switchblade Keychain Miniature Knife Vintage -- Antique Price Guide Deta (resized).jpg2021-02-19 20_12_09-Vintage Switchblade Keychain Miniature Knife Vintage -- Antique Price Guide Deta (resized).jpg

#4118 3 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Breaker, breaker one nine!

Oh hell yeah ... I still use one in my LandCruiser for trail rides (just about ready to switch to 2m Ham)

Back in the days before cellphones car phones were actually two-way radios connected to a landline and pretty rare. I found a Radio Shack CB that looked like a phone ... thought I looked really cool chatting with my CB buddies D80A7AFB-982A-489B-94FC-E64D68CB6386 (resized).jpegD80A7AFB-982A-489B-94FC-E64D68CB6386 (resized).jpeg

#4119 3 years ago

Of course the “gateway drug” to CB was the walkie talkie (even if they could barely reach the neighbor kid’s house)
19168DE5-7E51-4620-8D04-231F2D2FB8EC (resized).jpeg19168DE5-7E51-4620-8D04-231F2D2FB8EC (resized).jpeg

#4207 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

Ads for Saturday morning cartoons- ABC 1967, CBS 1969, CBS 1976, NBC 1980.

I was a fan of Jetsons and Herculoids. Not shown are Hot Wheels (I still have a “jackrabbit special”) and Skyhawks that got cancelled because they were deemed 30 min “commercials” for Mattel. But hands down best cartoon ever was Jonny Quest...I STILL watch it regularly 6616B990-3F1A-4BB1-B309-684CE7FF407D (resized).jpeg6616B990-3F1A-4BB1-B309-684CE7FF407D (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinworthy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-were-your-favorite-childhood-toys?tu=pinworthy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.