BagofGlass (resized).jpg
434599499_10228561822663909_2493513439072746909_n (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2024-03-30 at 7.43.04 PM (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Big Chief pad (resized).png
stfu.gif
speedy-gonzales-movie-donald-trump (resized).jpg
IMG_4109 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mike_j.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#325 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

My three favorite toys!
Great Garloo
Robot Commando
King Zor
...I get together with my brother every 15 years or so to celebrate that magic Christmas when i got my Great Garloo!
(I like Ray Guys too!)

king_zor_(resized).jpgrobot_Commando_(resized).jpgTed_&_Don_&_Garloo_3_Combo_(resized).jpgted_ray_guns_(resized).jpg

Love those pictures with your brother.

#329 8 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

A real pinball machine was out of the question, so I got this for Christmas in '76. That's me playing, with my older brother, dad and grandfather.

RACE-O-RAMA_(resized).JPG

I would have killed for one of those.

We made do with the Tomy Atomic Arcade in 1979.

8 months later
#926 7 years ago
Quoted from SteveO:

I got one of these as a Christmas present and found my brother playing it before it was wrapped.

I used to play that game with my dad every Friday night when I was a kid. It was one of my favorite games.

I would spend hours on a Saturday afternoon practicing my shots.

1 month later
#1057 7 years ago
Quoted from JMK:

Evel Knievel, Turbo Tower of Power (TTP), Mattel Hot Birds and Rock Em Sock Em Robots were some of my favourites...

Can I come over and play?

4 months later
#1221 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

My first pinball:

Better playfield art than many Stern machines.......

6 months later
#1302 6 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

So how many people, as kids, shot a arrow up in the air and then rand for it. Stupid yes, but it was fun.

Yes to the arrow.

We also used a fairly powerful sling shot with the most point, jagged rocks we could find.

1 year later
#1397 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I just remembered that I used to have a doctor's kit when I was 4-5 years old. Me and the little girl next door used to play doctor. I seem to remember having a good time giving shots with the fake sringe
[quoted image]

Wow, my sister had that kit back in the 70’s.

8 months later
#1558 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Yea, my dad and mom did the same thing to me...
I cry with what people want for the stuff I had back in the 60's/70's.
( they did not sell, they just through away )

One of my friends from high school had his mother do the same thing. Evidently, she also did a bunch of other things that he didn’t feel were too nice.

When she died, he had her cremated and her remains were used as the stuffing for a Hacky Sack.

True story.

1 month later
#1679 4 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Old family photos have been rolling in for scanning projects. Here are some real-deal toys from the early 60s, not sure what some of them even are. I remember the sled that's for sure, spent half a lifetime on that thing. Not much resolution in these tiny old pics of course so you can't zoom in much to see what's what.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

This I love.
Please post whatever else you may have.

#1689 4 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

There's probably a lot more, but I have a stack to get to for the scanning project and its taking some time.
Here's another one, its me with this one, but I can't remember this toy at all. Pretty darn cool-looking though. This should be 1964 or 1965,
[quoted image]

Thanks. Your pictures really look like the kind of Christmas i would have killed for when I was a kid. Those toys are awesome.

#1716 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

In high school we use to put the tail of the tissue roll into the bowl, flush, and watch the dispenser roll spin.

I still do that.

7 months later
#1868 3 years ago

Played this and the football version for weeks at a time.

Stratomatic (resized).pngStratomatic (resized).png
2 weeks later
#2004 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

Must be from the same design team that made my Batman Water Pistol.[quoted image]

Always makes me laugh.

#2020 3 years ago
Quoted from bssbllr:

Remember these punching bag for kids. Like a weeble.
[quoted image]

I had that exact one back in 1972.

2 months later
#2478 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Who is old enough to of had Metal Tonka Trucks?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I had a friend when I was very young who had two of the Tonga dump trucks.
He would take the wire out of his dad’s tool chest and use the dump trucks like roller skates.

3 weeks later
#2671 3 years ago
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
3 weeks later
#3021 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Anybody grab onto the bumper of a car and let it drag you through the snow covered streets ?
LTG : )

Yes, we called it Skitching, not sure how that term was derived.

3 weeks later
#3557 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

Hmm... Notice anything strangely familiar about Milton Bradley’s Haunted Treasure Hunt game?
[quoted image][quoted image]

Is that the Psycho house on the box lid?

1 month later
#3895 3 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:Yes! Phoebe!
Plenty of childhood memories about her. Very nice body, way before I knew anything about all that.
She just had such a cute face. And I always thought a big part of that is her nose.
A lot of women have noses that are just too big, or pointed or something and makes their whole face look not as good as it could.
Anyway, sorry for my childhood memory rant, carry on, show more pics of toys, (or Phoebe Cates).

You’re dead on. A lousy nose (or chin) can ruin an otherwise pretty face.

2 months later
#4845 2 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

I think the Ethel M. MARS bars are as close as you will get,
it is made (owned) as a specialty (online orders only) by a Mars family member,
obviously with the MARS food conglomerates permission.
But I do not want to pay $50 + shipping for 16 bars.

Ethel M. is the same thing according to my 88 year old uncle. He seems to go through a couple of cases each month.
That and the Hershey bar are the only candy bars he eats.

1 month later
#5182 2 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

RIP B.J. Thomas
[quoted image]

That one hurt.
His songs mean a lot to me.

#5197 2 years ago
Quoted from HFK:

Since this thread is at 104 pages it probably was already posted but I don't remember.[quoted image]

I spent hours with Silly Putty and the newspaper.

#5207 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

My parents should have said “no son, that’s fucked up.”
[quoted image]

Oh god, that comment made me laugh so hard.

#5231 2 years ago
Quoted from bssbllr:

I remember playing this a couple of times.
[quoted image]

Christmas 1979, Merlin and Simon were the big toys.

#5308 2 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I currently live in the town of the home of the world's largest tomahawk. The teepee is about 25ft and the tomahawk is probably 30 ft tall.
[quoted image]

I’d hate to meet the injun that owns that tomahawk.

1 month later
#5969 2 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

My side of town was just slightly more spread out than the OTHER side, which got cable a few years before we did. I remember my stepdad going crazy - "$17 a month to watch TV? We watch it for free right now!"

This was the only time my mother ever stood up to my father.
“Listen you cheap, sob. We have a car with no ac, we never go on a vacation and I cook 365 days a year. You’re paying for HBO, now stop talking and write the check.”

#6004 2 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

Did you buy any books from the Scholastic Arrow Book Club in your grade school class? I had a few of these.
A knee-slapper from The Arrow Book of Jokes and Riddles:
Q: “What did Tennessee?”
A: “The same thing Arkansas.”
[quoted image]

I had that Paul Bunyan book. I was fascinated by the blue bull on the cover as a young kid.

#6016 2 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

I remember reading many of the Chip Hilton books and also reading the Gil Thorp comic strip in our local newspaper.
Gord
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Chip Hilton was written by Claire Bee who is considered one of the greatest basketball minds.

1 week later
#6168 2 years ago
Quoted from c508:

I remember when the “Big Gulp” first came out everyone was wondering “how can someone drink all of that?!”

Now 32oz is basically a “small.”

As my wife says, “a country of lard asses”

#6177 2 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

The electric scooter carts at the grocery store used to be for people with injuries or the elderly and frail.
Now it's all lardasses.

It’s probably just glandular.

2 months later
#6571 2 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

Did you eat Chuckles in a certain order?
I always ate the black one last.
Yellow, Green, Orange, Red, Black.
[quoted image]

I ate the black once.

#6572 2 years ago
Quoted from mmuglia:

Handheld elecronic were my favorite toys. I still have them all, and I still have most of the original boxes too.
[quoted image]

Is that a Lil’ Professor on the second shelf? I remember my sister getting one for Christmas and everyone in the family would play with it. It was always on the coffee table in our living room.

The cars on the bottom look really nice. Are they RC? The white with the Texaco label is sharp.

2 weeks later
#6658 2 years ago
Quoted from RichWolfson:

I now live in Jersey and this was in the paper last week (yes, I am the only one left reading the paper, actually two, every day).
The Alexander's mural, a longtime attraction in Paramus that was dismantled and removed from the borough years ago, will be making its return home as part of The New Valley Hospital. ... The giant, 200-foot-long mural was saved in 1998 after Alexander's went out of business. IKEA now occupies the former Alexander's site.
The large murals that were in Valley Stream have to be somewhere, and they were really impressive.
///Rich
[quoted image][quoted image]

I remember that vividly.
On the right side of the mural, I always saw a duck wearing a straw hat. I would always look for it when driving down Route 17 in the 70s and 80s.

#6660 2 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Yep, I grew up in Teaneck, NJ (and went to high school in Paramus). I remember that Alexander's mural very well.
Can't say I ever saw a duck with a straw hat in it though...

I guess I was having too much fun back then.

3 weeks later
#6776 2 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Malls used to be awesome. They had have movie theaters, arcades, toy stores, and all kinds of things. Now it just seems like cheap clothes and shoe stores with a food court full of people you rather avoid.

We have no one to blame but ourselves.
I still do everything I can to buy most items from local downtown shopping areas.

3 weeks later
#6872 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

We sure spent alot of money and time to tweak a stereo for sound.
OMG, endless receiver and turntable arguments!
[quoted image]

That’s the type of equipment, that if my parents took us out to see “company,” my dad would pull me aside and say, “if anything happens to that, and you happen to be near it when it does, I break both of your arms”

I was always so paranoid that I would frequently become the guardian of many high end or prized possessions throughout the evening. A Friday or Saturday night making sure other guest’s kids did nothing to harm a stereo, slot car set, pool table, fish tank or prized pet were not unusual.

1 month later
#7258 2 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I'm too young to remember beer in the double tab top but loved soda pop in them.
[quoted image]

My go to drink during undergrad exams.

3 weeks later
#7445 2 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:I have no idea. I called a place that sells old consoles and was told that it’s pretty much impossible to make it play on the new tellys so I guess it’s trash.

No.
It’s not trash. There is a way to get the 2600 to operate on a new television. Hopefully, someone smarter than me can tell you how to do it.

2 months later
#7707 1 year ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

I think I had that board as a kid. I vaguely remember going to get it and taking forever to pick it out because each multicolored one was different. Mine was more colors, but otherwise exactly the same, texture and all. Can’t remember anything else other than feeling waaaay cool riding it!

I believe it’s a Penny Board.

5 months later
#8388 1 year ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Classic, made me laugh. Every play of the 1977 NFL today intro would be a penalty now!
https://ifunny.co/video/every-play-from-cbs-s-nfl-today-intro-from-1977-XyYtnMjo7

Better football, better pregame, better world.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mike_j.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-were-your-favorite-childhood-toys?tu=mike_j and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.