CA78DE4F-0AB1-4CF9-A487-D10D797239D1 (resized).jpeg
189BB5AF-1FF6-45BE-88BE-14167B52B256 (resized).jpeg
A1B4EAED-8418-4856-9252-5D6A62F641DD (resized).jpeg
D6F237B1-E74C-495E-9E73-76F99A27FC9F (resized).jpeg
9A6C381A-EA07-4FD1-A0C8-88387BD89C0B.jpeg
979774F7-9C3A-4E85-AA6B-7E911B9B6C52.jpeg
E601335F-50B4-4629-8B36-7F27E97925EB (resized).jpeg
members-only (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jhanley.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

fb64032e_(resized).jpg

Stuka_fini_016_zpslsx7uchd_(resized).jpg

My brother got a Cox Stuka for his birthday in the sixties.My dad tried to fly it for him but it didn't even go around once before he smashed it into the pavement.

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

When I was in third grade two kids brought these to school one day. The next day almost everone had them. The day after that they were banned.

images_(resized).jpgimages_(1)_(resized).jpg

The same thing happened at our school with yo yo's then the Clackers.I had bruises all over my arms from those things.Odin must be about the same age as me.

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Standard procedure. How many sets of wings did he go thru?

There was nothing left but the engine.

#54 5 years ago

When I was really little I had a Fireball XL5 spaceship toy.I bet those are worth the bucks now .

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

HA HAAAA HAAAA i flew my Cox stuka with ease!! Until,one day,the m80 we used to drop fired off before i could release it ,and it looked like the plane was hit by a 88! Actually at was too cool!

I had a lot of rockets.Got tired of them so I put booster engines in them with a load of fire crackers.Cool explosions.I was a real pyro in my childhood.

#77 5 years ago
Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

WOWZER...great memories here. No longer have them, but I was big into slot car racing and the ol' home AFX tracks etc. Rat Fink Skateboard circa 67(wish I still had that!) Had the Klic-Klacs that my Dad took away from me and then got banned as prior post quoted. So many toys here I had. Great stuff everybody!
And Mr. 68, the 6 finger...I think I had that! Feel better you baggy dude!!!

When I was little in the 60's they had slot car tracks that you took your own car and controller and paid hourly to race with other people.

#81 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Too bad. Once my brother took over it finally flew. And the bomb dropped.
This one definitely had wing issues.

superstar_(resized).jpg

We built our own from kits and they flew much better.What I couldn't believe is that the fuel would actually melt the plastic on those Cox planes.

#102 5 years ago
Quoted from electricsquirrel:

My 1968 Schwinn deluxe Stingray!
It had a Sturmey Archer three speed coaster brake and a stik shift!

68bike_(cropped)_(resized).jpg

Your parents must have been well off.Schwinn bikes were expensive .

#124 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Back in the day when they said go fly a kite, we actually did. The best ones came from the Green Giant food co. They would have a new one every year and we would send in our boxtops for it.

We used to fly kites all the time.Sometimes my dad would go to the store and get more and more string to see how high we could get it to go.

#424 5 years ago

Where do you get these pictures?

#554 5 years ago

Yeah,we played warball.Some kids were so accurate that you might as well just stand still cause if they wanted to hit you ,you were toast.I was generally the kid at the end getting wasted up against the gym wall.

#556 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I had PE early in the morning in Jr. High. First time I played warball was one of the coldest foggiest winter days around here. One of the better baseball players in school took aim and nailed me in the nads with a fastball. I'll never forget that. First time I ever thought I should "play better". And soon after that I did.

Sounds about the same for me.I wasn't much of a athlete in grade school.Just curious,what year were you born Odin?

#558 5 years ago

Me,1959 . My kids are lucky.They don't have to take showers in PE like I had to.That sucked.

#560 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Don't ever send them to military school then. My venture there made warball seem like a walk in the park.

That's pretty crazy.Did you want to go to military school or did your parents make you?

#568 5 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

We played that same game in the 70's but it was called "bombardment". Whole lotta fun!

You went to military school in the 5th grade?Are you serious?Why?
"

#570 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I was a bad boy. I could get into details, but combine a recent divorce, my brother and me fighting, ny mom pulling her hair out, and me not doing my schoolwork, then you get the picture. 2 years of hell for me was my reward. But I came out of that place knowing how to fight and take care of myself. After that I answered to nobody but myself.
On the plus side it taught me self dicipline, how to stay healthy, and be productive throughout the day. But I don't wish the experience on any kid today. Although they probably no longer physically torture and punish kids like they did back then.

Man ,that's pretty rough.Your a strong person to have gone through that.

#572 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I was stronger coming out than I went in. You have to understand that most of the kids there were there for a reason. Some with way bigger issues than I had. Throw them all together and you have quite a crew. You had to know who your friends were because they were few. But we had a great football team and they served fish sticks on Friday.

I kind of liked fish sticks with tarter sauce my self although I don't think I have ate them in a good 45 years.I hope things got better when you got out 2 years later.

#575 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Now I'm going to go make some fish sticks.

500-816563__1_(resized).jpg

I'm actually thinking of getting some.

#609 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Its funny, I've had the same thought about being spoiled while reading this thread. But at a young age I was also taught the importance of work and the value of a dollar.
That television commercial I posted of The Great Garloo (Page 7) shows a price at the end of the video of $17.98..... $17.98 in 1961?!!!!
I would have been Ted's best friend.

In the 60's my allowance was a dollar a week and I had to do chores for it.But you could get 4 taco's and a drink at Taco Bell for a dollar.A decent model kit was a dollar.

#637 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It wasn't like I was raised in Charlie Bucket's house. But we weren't wealthy to say the least. Come x-mas time and birthdays we got some toys, but everthing else was earned by me doing paper routes, digging aluminum cans out of trash cans, or whatever else I could do to scrape up some cash. It made me appreciate them all the more.

I liked having a paper route.The only thing that sucked was the Sunday paper in Scottsdale,Az was about an inch thick and I had to deliver about a hundred.You had to collect the money from the people also.Some would pay me in pennies. You could get quite a bit by selling pop bottles back to the store.I think they would give you 3 cents per bottle but you could buy a candy bar for a dime in 1972.Good times.

#641 5 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

Lol, you had it good then!
Our Sunday edition barely folded and I had to use the industrial rubber bands to keep it from exploding. I could only get about 20 in each bag which meant I had four or five trips ahead of me. Good thing I was a bowler...
Agreed on the collecting money bit jhanley.
Some people would just 'eff with me paying in pennies and or, tales of adventure.
One lady was nice though and gave me some homemade tamales which furthered my deep love of authentic Mexican food.
Now where is my $2?!?
image_(resized).jpeg

You couldn't fold these either.No way could you toss them.You had to go all the way up and place them on their door mat.I had to make probably 3 trips back to pick them up and you could actually feel the bikes frame twisting from the weight.

1 year later
#1192 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I'm currently restoring a 1971 honda SL70 from the ground up. my brother has built at least 8 or 10 of these in the past (his is the red one
it's same bike that I owned back in the late 70s (and that my father and his neighbor purchased brand new back in '71

nice work

3 months later
#1231 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

finally finished assembly on restoring my childhood (well, teenage childhood) motorcycle this past week. still have to fire her up and adjust things like the brakes, clutch and idle, but the assembly is now complete

I even managed to find an period correct 1971 NOS license plate for it

the red one is the one my brother just finished restoring (I couldn't have done this without his help). for this one, he put in an auto-clutch so that he can take his dog with him on rides

Beautiful job.

1 year later
#1408 2 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

I had the Cox gas powered van and the P51 Mustang. You were supposed to run them tethered, but yeah, I let mine loose, too. They did not survive my childhood, so I had to find pix on the 'net.[quoted image][quoted image]

My brother had a Cox Stuka. Lasted about 4 seconds after it took off. What kills me is that the fuel would melt the plastic that the plane was made of.

5 months later
#1678 1 year ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Dont see Tinsel anymore!

Because it was made of Lead.

1 year later
#4366 7 months ago
fireball (resized).jpg
#4367 7 months ago

Love this thread

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jhanley.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside