BagofGlass (resized).jpg
434599499_10228561822663909_2493513439072746909_n (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2024-03-30 at 7.43.04 PM (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Big Chief pad (resized).png
stfu.gif
speedy-gonzales-movie-donald-trump (resized).jpg
IMG_4109 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jawjaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1566 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I owned all of those sets. When I went to college, I came home for the first time and my mom had a garage sale while I was gone and. sold: 1) my LEGO collection, 2) my Hotwheel collection, 3) and my baseball card collection. Thousands if not tens of thousands in value today.

I had all the space Lego's, too. I ended up selling them all on ebay years ago. If I remember right it was around $800. Not sure it was worth the time it took me to piece together each set from a bucket of Legos. I wish I still had my Star Wars and GI Joe toys but no idea what happened to that stuff.

#1587 4 years ago

Trash to treasure! Still upset my bmx bike got stolen outside the comic book store back in the 80s.

1 month later
#1688 4 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Ahhh, the rare 1593. That's the only space set from Insectoids back that I don't have original instructions for. So yeah, space legos were my thing too. Used to have a 6X8 double decker layout at my parents house. It was pretty cool, there was a road and a monorail connecting the two levels. Been looking for a pic, but no luck yet. Thinking of selling the whole lot since I don't have a good place for them.

I had a ton of 80's space Legos. Great memories getting those sets for Christmas and hours playing with them. I had the same problem, though. Wanted to keep them but didn't know what to do with them. It would be awesome to have room to have them all on display. Did you have any pics of that setup?

#1695 4 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

I know pics exist, I just haven't found them yet. My grandparents were the ones who would buy them for my birthday every year. Even back then I was a bargain hunter. We would wait until Bradlees had a big sale and then go on senior citizen day for an additional 10% off. At some point I managed to figure out that they had different sets in Europe. This was before the internet, so I don't recall how I figured that out. I managed to get a catalog from a toy store somewhere in Europe that would ship to the US. I think that was with the help of a Scandinavian neighbor. So then I was able to get my hands on the Europe only sets. Took forever for the first package to show up, but what a day when it finally did!!! Eventually I was able to pick up the older European ones that I missed on rec.toys.lego. Would be cool to set them back up, but I like our house and there really isn't a good place for them.

That's awesome. Legos have always been expensive. Once in a while I will see a cool new set but don't buy because always expensive. I didn't know Europe had different sets. Afraid to look more into that or I might want to start collecting sets!

1 year later
#4910 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

anybody have one of these as a kid in the 70's?
[quoted image]

My brother had one of those! We grew up in Houston where the Goodyear blimp was based. It made a sound that was very unique. As soon as we heard that sound we dropped whatever we were doing and came bolting out of the house to see it. If I remember right, my dad had a chance to get tickets for us to ride on it but somehow that deal fell through. Too bad.

images (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#5140 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I learned early to pee in the backyard when the bathroom was crowded. And I still do it today even though I live alone.
I seem to recall it was Frank Zappa that said, Don't eat yellow snow.
[quoted image][quoted image]

That reminds me of a funny story. When my triplets were young, we often played in the backyard. Someone always had to go to the bathroom so it was a pain to round up the other two especially when it was an "I have to go now". I taught my boys to pee outside to make things a little easier. Not much to teach I guess. Just told them to go over in the corner and water a bush. My boys thought that was the greatest thing ever. Not long after, found out they were relieving themselves on the church playground where they went to preschool. We had a little conversation about that lol.

3 weeks later
#5362 2 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

They had the right idea in that scene, but not enough paper. My school had about 1500 kids dumping out so much stuff that you couldn’t see the floor.
[quoted image]

Even outside the school, paper was everywhere. It got so bad my school warned kids that if they found a paper with your name on it there was going to be serious trouble. Made little difference lol. My kids don't seem to have anything like that. Probably because the last day of school varies depending on what finals you take.

3 weeks later
#5654 2 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Before there was NRG stadium, we had Astroworld. I remember when it closed, we were told the land had become too valuable for amusement.
Yet, much of it still sits empty!
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Home to Greezed Lightnin', Texas Cyclone and my fav, the Ultra Twister.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

No kidding. They tore it down for nothing but the useless Astrodome across the street still sits. Sucks. It would of been nice to take my kids to Astroworld once in a while. Can't do jack with the stupid Astrodome. My first job was at Astroworld in 1988 so good memories.

#5717 2 years ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

Pick any controversial topic - pretty much any, but usually left wing vs right wing. Example, abortion
Duck Duck Go first returns: Wikipedia, Planned Parenthood, Pros and Cons, World Health Organization, Definition, Medical Facts
Google first returns: 3 ads on how to get an abortion, then planned parenthood, then how to get an abortion again, abortion is a right
On some searches, returns are omitted all-together - no links to websites of certain groups or stories. On others, more nuanced but a definite bias. And from Googles own page:
"Google and its subsidiary companies, such as YouTube, have removed or omitted information from its services in order to comply with company policies, legal demands, and government censorship laws. Numerous governments have asked Google to censor content."
Note, "company policies" is the catch-all for whatever we want.

I would say a lot of what you see in google is basically an ad. You pay to get your website to be one of the first you see in a search. Do not pay, it will still show but be 30 pages back or something where nobody looks. But of course, they clearly control what you see on any search.

#5725 2 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

[quoted image][quoted image]

That's back when you could just name your company "AAA" to get to the top.

1 month later
#6063 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I lived in Arlington TX in early 70s. On Sunday, you walk into grocery store and more than half the aisles were roped off. You could buy some food but not all of the food offerings. That was bizarre. I think it was in 1975, right before I left Texas, that the blue laws were done away with.
Texas still has some crazy liquor laws, I think. One county will be wet and the next country is dry. When I lived there, anything east of the Trinity River was wet. And the industrial road that was on the west side of the river was a shopping center of liquor stores. And then westward for 15 miles all of Dallas County was dry until you got to the Dallas/Tarrant County line where it was wet again. And there was a huge shopping center of bars with any kind of bar action you could want. It was called The County Line.
Did you like to dance? There was Deb's Danceland. Did you like to get drunk and pick fights? There were a couple of bars for that, too. Down at the south end were the go-go bars ( titty bars were not legal, yet). And it was safe. I never heard of anything bad happening.
And during those days with the wet and dry counties, it was legal to carry an open beer can while behind the wheel.
But the grocery stores had to have their aisle roped off on Sunday.

I went to school in Lubbock, TX in the early 90s. It was a dry town back then but alcohol was everywhere. You could still drink in all the many bars and restaurants, just not buy beer at the local store. However, all you had to do was drive 10 minutes to the edge of town to what we called the strip. It was a bunch of liquor stores out in the middle of nowhere lit up like Vegas. Quite the site. Never understood the purpose of dry laws. Looks like they finally went wet in 2009.

2 months later
#6497 2 years ago

Were rock radio station stickers a big thing anywhere else? Us kids went crazy for them in the early 80's but they were everywhere in Houston. Guess bumper stickers in general were more of a thing when you had actual bumpers. Remember one time as a young kid word got out that they were passing out 97 Rock stickers at the seedy arcade near school. We raced down there on our bikes and grabbed as many stickers as we could possibly get. I can still remember the smell of those stickers.

8X9Gc3QKd-uuS9JFvCk2lby0qyDhHctVXymhp5s3wog (resized).jpg8X9Gc3QKd-uuS9JFvCk2lby0qyDhHctVXymhp5s3wog (resized).jpgksrr-97-rock-vintage-radio-station_1_0e7d5d1c8915e8475953ded3b707157f (resized).jpgksrr-97-rock-vintage-radio-station_1_0e7d5d1c8915e8475953ded3b707157f (resized).jpg
#6524 2 years ago
Quoted from onemoresean:

Found them!
I started collecting in 5th grade.
[quoted image]

Very cool! You just don't see stuff like that anymore.

1 month later
#6775 2 years ago

Malls used to be awesome. They had have movie theaters, arcades, toy stores, and all kinds of things. Now it just seems like cheap clothes and shoe stores with a food court full of people you rather avoid.

1 month later
#6943 2 years ago

Parents forced me to take some dancing class in my young teen years. Kind of hated it but not so bad when dancing with cute girl. Wonder if there are still classes like that for kids anymore.

#6972 2 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

I took pride in having the sharpest crayons on the block.
Think I enjoyed sharpening them more then actually coloring. [quoted image]

You were living large if you had the big box of crayons with all the colors.

2 weeks later
#7079 2 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I have that exact barometer, sitting in a tote in my garage Bought it at a yard sale for 50 cents because I thought it looked cool and reminded me of my grandparents who had one similar hanging in their hallway.

Must of been some law that every grandparent had to have one back then. I got one from my grandparents sitting in a closet somewhere. Thought it was kind of cool, too.

1 month later
#7400 2 years ago

I remember a few big hurricanes ripping through when I was younger. As a kid, I had no worries. I slept through one even though the winds were violently thrashing the house. Only thing on my mind was excitement of missing a day or two of school.

#7407 2 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Did you or your neighbors tape X's on the windows and then not untape them for months years to come?
I know in my neighborhood taped windows after Alicia were around for years and years. Usually until owners sold and had to fix up the place.

lol yeah. Love the idea that a little tape on your window is somehow going to make things better if trees and lawn chairs are blowing through your house.

Not sure what is worse - tornados or hurricanes. At least with hurricanes you can see them coming. When my kids were little, I was getting ready for work when all of a sudden the wind outside went crazy. I don't think it was even raining/storming but a tornado came over the house. I was just about ready to grab the kids when the winds suddenly stopped. Only damage it did was blow down a fence but still pretty scary.

2 weeks later
#7493 2 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

Remember making book covers for your school textbooks using brown paper grocery bags? I got pretty good at doing this myself as a kid. By the end of the school year, each cover was thoroughly defaced by my goofy doodles and stickers.
[quoted image]

Wish I kept some of those from middle school. I spent countless hours drawing 80's rock band logos and whatever on those. Good times

#7500 2 years ago
Quoted from Moli410:

Of all the toys I had growing up, my Tyco RC Fast Traxx pickup was the one that I kept coming back to all the time. Practically played with this until the rubber tracks were destroyed.
[quoted image]

Don't remember that one. This is what I remember. Great fun. We strapped a model rocket engine to the one my friend had that didn't end well lol.

e4aa283c5f98900a6f17ed7fefc9af5a (resized).jpge4aa283c5f98900a6f17ed7fefc9af5a (resized).jpg
6 months later
#8315 1 year ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

This is the one we had in the 1970s. Sunday night - Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and Walt Disney World. Family night. Early into Pajamas, Hot Air popcorn and we got to split a 16 oz bottle of Pepsi, the only time we got soda at home. Also argued over who got more Pepsi.
Marlin Perkins always had his assistant Jim doing the heavy lifting "My assistant Jim will now Castrate this Water Buffalo" kind of stuff. Awesome memories.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Same here. We had dinner in the middle of Sunday afternoon so hungry at night. We put M&M's in the popcorn and maybe peanuts if feeling a bit crazy. Sat down on the red shag carpet right in front of the tv with the popcorn and soda. Parents of course had to tell you to back up because the tv radiation was going to burn your eyes out. lol

1 month later
#8473 1 year ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I have so many cool memories at k mart.
In Plymouth where I lived they had an arcade in the back of the k. Brand new games like robotron 2084.
One time when I was a little younger, I went to counter because my mom had separated from me and my brother and I could not find her. I told them my mother was lost. They announced it on the p a.
In that same trip, I found a five dollar bill. And I bought a can of slime.
Must have been fifth grade.
Good times.

Finding money when you were a kid was pretty awesome. When I was fairly young, we had a neighbor that let us go through their entire garage and collect any loose change my brother and I could find. There was literally coins everywhere in their cluttered garage. After they parked their cars they must of just thrown any loose change they had all over. We couldn't make sense of it but whatever. We both collected a small fortune that day.

#8486 1 year ago

Never did paper routes but my brother tried to get rich by recycling. He collecting newspapers and aluminum cans from just about everyone on the street. Actually not sure where it all came from but it was enough to fill a full size van from top to bottom. My dad and him hauled it off one day with the back bumper nearly dragging and got like $5 lol. I don't think it even covered the gas to make the trip to the recycler and back.

#8500 1 year ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

Another cash grab came when we stayed at a hotel that had manmade stream outside near the pool that I guess a lot of people decided to throw coins into. It was super shallow, and my older brother and I waded through collecting all the coins. I guess no one who cared was watching. That was a pretty good haul. No way I would let my kids do that!

Somehow our mother let us crawl around the checkout lanes at the grocery store. We would find a ton of coins under things, between stacked paper bags, and around cash registers. No idea how kids getting into everything around cash registers was not a problem but we did it. But yeah, no way did I let my kids do stuff like that.

4 months later
#9000 12 months ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

I took out many a tin can and little green army man with one of these.
Only ever brought down 1 wild animal with it during a rebellious phase. Learned basic gun safety from ownership of it too.
It was very accurate for a bb gun, or I was just very accurate with it. Too bad that skill did not translate to "real" firearms in my later life.
Any who, this thing filled hours and hours of time from about the age of 10 +.
One of those things I wish I still had.[quoted image]

I had a fun game of throwing a soda can on the roof of the house and see how long I could keep shooting it to keep it from falling off. Whoever worked on that roof years later must of been wondering why there were hundreds of bb's stuck in the shingles lol.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jawjaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-were-your-favorite-childhood-toys?tu=jawjaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.