shot0030 (resized).png
7c12510a8e5f1a58d025bdd0dc5117bc (resized).jpg
Dip+a+flower (resized).jpg
Cap n Crunch sub toy (resized).jpg
diving sub (resized).jpg
Rice Krispies sub toy (resized).jpg
f890af8a42f259126904798df6acb92a (resized).jpg
MD Transformers (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider j_m_.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#363 7 years ago

poppin_hoppies_(resized).jpgpoppin_hoppies_(resized).jpg

8 pages and I can't believe that no one's posted poppin hoppies. these were frickin' awesome until my brother and I got our butts spanked something fierce for taking the tops off and seeing how many we could get to launch and stick into the drop ceiling panels.

god, we were little hellions

#365 7 years ago

my cousin had one of these as well. we could never get the monsters back into "perfect" brick square form, but a cool toy nonetheless

mattel_-_strange_change_time_machine_(resized).jpgmattel_-_strange_change_time_machine_(resized).jpg

#366 7 years ago

I remember having some monster maker toy as well where you had a motorized metal robot-type frame, but you "cooked" this green liquid rubber substance in these small metal forms into "skin" parts and that attached made a frankenstein-like creature. it had crazy orange fur for hair. man, I wish I could find a picture of that.

and these:
A_C_Gibert_erector_sets_(resized).jpgA_C_Gibert_erector_sets_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#669 7 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

I cut open many golf balls as a kid. The ones I saw in the seventies had some rubber-band-sh kind of stuff.
Now that I think about it... I cut open just about everything
No liquid.
faz

you're not old enough then
inside the rubber bands, some balls had a rubber ball. some of those rubber balls were solid, others contained a liquid (not quite sure exactly what it was)

as kids we would cut the plastic "cover" off of a golf ball, rub one side of the exposed rubber bands on the concrete to cut through some of them, then throw the ball to watch it bounce and shoot off in various directions as the rubber bands unwound. good times

2 weeks later
#759 7 years ago

wow kim, you must have come from a pretty rich family if they bought you not one, but two putt-putt golf courses!

#763 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I was raised by wealthy carnival people. ... - OK, I lied about the wealthy part.

yeah, you kind of looked like you had a bit of "carney" in you

btw, have I ever introduced you to my good friend scott freeman?

8 months later
#946 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

No idea what that thing is but it looks like it might be fun?

the [thing] next to the guy's hand is a "top" (it's upside down). it's positioned at the end of the playfield (in the center) with a string wound around the narrow section. you pull the string quickly, causing the top to spin and move through the maze. the goal is for the "top" to knock down as many of the pins before it loses momentum and falls over

3 weeks later
#969 7 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

And so the journey begins.
Does it sound okay to semi document it here considering this thread was the inspiration?

is that a YZ80? my brother used to restore Honda SL70's

#971 7 years ago

yeah, I loved mine as well. had to remove that elevated rear tail light assembly after one too many nut-wrenching incidents of the bike flying out from under me while climbing hills

2 weeks later
#1049 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Please don't. The idea of men thinking of me makes me feel very uncomfortable...

so, it's not ok that I'm thinking about you this very minute?

1 month later
#1093 6 years ago

I'm really surprised to see that no company has taken up the mantle to produce toys today which are the same quality as those that we spent hundreds of hours with nearly 40+ years ago.

a recent walk-through the toy section of target left me feeling sorry for today's kids with their sh!tty, nearly in-animate action figures and things that vaguely resembled the characters/actors of their movie tie-in counterparts. most of the super hero merchandise is obviously a quick cash grab. it's amazing that those 3-3/4" star wars and g.i. joe figures from the late 70's/early 80's were not only better quality, but had more points of articulation (g.i.joe) than most of today's toys

and yeah, while many of the toys that we were [allowed] to play with wouldn't pass today's safety standards, then again maybe that's because we were smart enough to be a bit more careful (or lucky

hasbro and mattel should be ashamed of 90+% of the merchandise that they tie their names to today. LEGO is just about the only company (albeit expensive) that hasn't skimped out and dumbed down their product lines

what on god's green earth is this?!? (NSFA) linked because this truly is [not safe for anyone!]
ebay.com link: Figures Toy Company Dukes Of Hazzard 8 Retro Action Figure Daisy Duke Bikini

and seriously, people purchased the other 4 of these that this seller was offering?

#1104 6 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

and lead paint, and leaded gas, and no seatbelts, no bike helmets, no cell phones, riding the open bed of a pickup truck............................
Ahh.............. to be a kid again..........................................

ok, this is one for all us old folks in the midwest. does anyone remember "shagging"?

how we didn't die doing that remains a mystery

1 month later
#1190 6 years ago

I'm currently restoring a 1971 honda SL70 from the ground up. my brother has built at least 8 or 10 of these in the past (his is the red one
it's same bike that I owned back in the late 70s (and that my father and his neighbor purchased brand new back in '71
IMG_4526 (resized).JPGIMG_4526 (resized).JPG
IMG_4530 (resized).JPGIMG_4530 (resized).JPG

#1201 6 years ago

thanks. I made some more progress this weekend (handlebars, front forks, rear suspension/rear brake pedal and gas tank all installed now
IMG_4591[1] (resized).JPGIMG_4591[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_4592[1] (resized).JPGIMG_4592[1] (resized).JPG

1 month later
#1223 6 years ago

finally finished assembly on restoring my childhood (well, teenage childhood) motorcycle this past week. still have to fire her up and adjust things like the brakes, clutch and idle, but the assembly is now complete
IMG_4826[1] (resized).JPGIMG_4826[1] (resized).JPG

I even managed to find an period correct 1971 NOS license plate for it
IMG_4827[1] (resized).JPGIMG_4827[1] (resized).JPG

the red one is the one my brother just finished restoring (I couldn't have done this without his help). for this one, he put in an auto-clutch so that he can take his dog with him on rides
IMG_4831[1] (resized).JPGIMG_4831[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_4836[1] (resized).JPGIMG_4836[1] (resized).JPG

1 year later
#1386 5 years ago

I'm betting that earth mover isn't picking up much dirt & rocks on your carpet

11 months later
#1545 4 years ago
Quoted from VectorGamer:

I used to enjoy cap guns

tell the truth. you used to love sniffing the gun powder from cap guns

1 month later
#1640 4 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

That ditz Barbie won't stop staring at the camera....ruining the entire take!

it's now obvious that barbie was breaking the 4th wall almost 2 decades before matthew broderick did it in ferris bueller

1 week later
#1703 4 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Who here is old enough to have had the old metal Tonka trucks?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

those, a sand box and a warm summer day equaled many, many day's worth of fun

#1709 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

My neighbor had one of these when I was a kid. I wasn't allowed to ride it.
Picked one up a few years ago. The seller said "your kid is going to love it"....I said " I don't have a kid. lol"
So, I ride this around the neighborhood. The adults think I'm a dork and the kids think I'm cool.[quoted image]

check out my past posts for my honda SL70 restoration
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-were-your-favorite-childhood-toys/page/24#post-3808076

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-were-your-favorite-childhood-toys/page/25#post-3816563

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-were-your-favorite-childhood-toys/page/25#post-3879105

4 weeks later
#1757 4 years ago

my dad still has one of those. my brother's dog loves to chase and make off with the golf balls when he's over there

6 months later
#1931 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

Would Stellar Track only play exclusively on the Sears 2600?

no, the sears model and atari's model were identical (hardware-wise). they only differed in physical appearance. the partnership between atari and sears robuck merely allowed atari to extend its distribution in the late 1970s/early 1980s

4 weeks later
#2065 3 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Never heard of Hot Toys. Pricy Chewy had a $599 price tag on him.
If I was a big star wars fan, these would be a must have. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
The Groot and Rocket is super cool and would make a unique topper for gotg.[quoted image] Also saw this Harley Quinn figure[quoted image]

I prefer the original set that they put out a few year prior
https://www.sideshow.com/collectibles/marvel-rocket-and-groot-hot-toys-9022391

the limited edition han and chewie set that I purchased a few years ago was amazing (to be honest, all of the hot toys releases are limited)
https://www.sideshow.com/collectibles/star-wars-han-solo-and-chewbacca-hot-toys-902761

hot toys are incredibly detailed. and if you think the price of chewy is a bit on the high side, wait until you see this!
https://www.sideshow.com/collectibles/marvel-hulkbuster-deluxe-version-hot-toys-903803

the hulkbuster weighs in at approximately 20 lbs and will accommodate their 1:6 scale iron man mark XVIII figure
https://www.sideshow.com/collectibles/marvel-iron-man-mark-xliii-hot-toys-904123

#2076 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I have a quick story on the flying disc....We were vacationing at a small hotel on Casey Key at the North end.
It is the only Hotel among exclusive homes, Stephen King, owning the largest estate at the end.
I had brought the ring to play with my 5 year old daughter, and lost it in the ocean.
Some 7 years later, we found it in the surf, covered with barnacles and growth....I thought that was pretty cool.

name dropper!

1 week later
#2117 3 years ago

old games with their carbon '9 lives' ray-o-vac batteries were the best. those things never leaked like the alkaline batteries of today
black cat eveready (resized).pngblack cat eveready (resized).png

1 week later
#2168 3 years ago

that's one surly looking bartender

3 weeks later
#2425 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

[quoted image]

our parents hated my brother and I for this toy. we took the heads off them and stretched out the springs so that they would fly higher and get stuck in the drop ceiling tiles

1 month later
#2909 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Peanut butter cookies
[quoted image]

kim, you look a lot different now

1 week later
#3024 3 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Yes, we called it Skitching, not sure how that term was derived.

we called it shagging. good times. when cars had metal bumpers that you could grab hold of and hang on for dear life in subdivisions

#3172 3 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Many times, A group of us went to a RUSH concert at Joe Louis Area, after a trek thru to the roof parking on Cobo hall we came upon the down escalato, we got Steve to go first, he ran track several other followed, then I gave it a go and nearly ran out of steam3-4 steps from the top. Finally made it! It al happenedl because of BEER and left handed cigarettes. BTW it was a long escalator going up the equivalant of 2 floors.

signals tour? if so, that was one of the first concerts at the joe when it opened. some idiot stole my tour book and wrif sticker as we were leaving. fortunately, a buddy was going on the 2nd night and grabbed me another.

2 weeks later
#3544 3 years ago
Quoted from ghostbc:

I wanted tv dinners so bad , until i had one!

I felt the same way about all that food from sonic restaurants until michigan got those as well
the only thing good from that place is their cherry limeade slushes

#3562 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

Hmm... Notice anything strangely familiar about Milton Bradley’s Haunted Treasure Hunt game?
[quoted image][quoted image]

illegal use of the scooby doo mansion on the box art?

2 months later
#4424 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

I found an old Driver’s Ed Simulator film online, filmed in Chicago’s northern suburbs in 1967. Narrated by John Drury, an ABC Chicago news anchor.
I had Driver’s Ed Simulator classes in 1971, so I’m sure I saw this film in there.
It’s a fun trip just watching the old cars and surroundings.
https://vimeo.com/68857689
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

we had those driving simulators. they were quite boring so most of us didn't drive and just let the car bounce from side to side like the old timey cars at the amusement parks that drove around a track with a railroad tie in the middle.

when we actually got to driving a [real] car, we had a girl that was so bad that it was the first time that our instructor had to use the brake on his side in his 20+ year career as a driving instructor (she was so bad that the rest of us covered our eyes instead of watching her attempt to drive). additionally, she made him so nervous that he literally whittled one of those long, plastic dairy-queen spoons to a nub with his teeth every time she got behind the wheel.

4 months later
#5836 2 years ago

reaching out to the group to see if anyone remembers this and can point me to the video about it

it was an animated short (sort of like the schoolhouse rock psa's) where replies like "not me", "I don't know" (and one other phrase) were personified

1 year later
#8380 1 year ago
Quoted from mooch:

Here’s an old flipper coin that belonged to my Dad. (Strategically placed thumb.)
I’ve found that it’s called a “Busty Betty” token.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I have a whole bunch of those in brass. they were used in a brothel

1 month later
#8497 1 year ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

This just brings it back for me. Message remains current. Imo.

I graduated high school with chuck who was their drummer on the 'So Far, So Good... So What! ' album

#8505 1 year ago

it is amazing at the things that we were allowed as kids to play with in the 60s and 70s that are deemed dangerous by today's standards.

the way that I saw it, if you used common sense, you didn't get hurt. if you got hurt, it was probably your own fault. heck, we jumped off the garage in our our above ground pool back in the day and no one was any worse for wear at the end of the day.

the thing maker sets were great fun, as was the hot wheels toy were you got to melt wax-like ingots into a crucible and pour out the molten material into metal frames to make your own cars.
hot wheels factory (resized).jpghot wheels factory (resized).jpg

#8550 1 year ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Rather than a new thread, even if its been mentioned, what was your favorite/most memorable Christmas Present? What were your disappointments?
My Fav at 7 were a Tool kit for kids with a real saw! They left me in a room to play, and I cut the legs off some furniture!
My disappointment? Not getting a Strange change![quoted image][quoted image]

I had that exact same tool set and I never got a strange change set either. my cousin had one so at least I was able to enjoy his

#8551 1 year ago
Quoted from DCP:

I still have my first "machine" - I was about 3 when I got it, so it was around 1960.
Picture taken 5 minutes ago.
Unrestored, HUO.
[quoted image]

do you have the documentation to prove that its HUO?

#8586 1 year ago

I took drafting 10-12th grade in high school. I remember in my senior year that we were all working on a project that we had a month or so to complete.
the class was one where lunch was half-way through it and many of us were already done so we planned a trip to the local ihop on a friday.

come the next monday our instructor, mr. anderson, sent all of us that [skipped] to the vice principal's office. when asked where we went and being berated for leaving the school grounds (even though most of us had our driver's licenses and drove to school) and as the self-chosen spokesperson for the group, I explained that we informed our instructor that we weren't going to be there, where we were going and even invited him. the vice-principle just looked us and dismissed us (without even a warning) back to class.

that was also the year that the school received brand new, shiny water based fire extinguishers. on my last day of finals, I paid off another student to watch the hallway. man, we had fun with that thing that summer

2 months later
#8880 1 year ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

So someone posted this on Twitter today:
[quoted image]
I remember my mother using one of these when I was a kid for cooking Pot roast and meatloaf.

who had one? I still do and use it all of the time

4 months later
#9334 7 months ago

it is a time machine that will whisk you back to 1977

btw, the cart shown in the system requires 2 joysticks to play (even though its a one-player title). I remember solving it somehow without a guide back in the day.

2 months later
#9462 5 months ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

I worked with the designer/programmer of Pitfall (David Crane) for several years. The company I worked for was started by a group of unhappy Activision guys.

that's rich considering that activision was started by a group of unhappy atari developers.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider j_m_.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-were-your-favorite-childhood-toys?tu=j_m_ and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.