BagofGlass (resized).jpg
434599499_10228561822663909_2493513439072746909_n (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2024-03-30 at 7.43.04 PM (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Big Chief pad (resized).png
stfu.gif
speedy-gonzales-movie-donald-trump (resized).jpg
IMG_4109 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cubesnake.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2382 3 years ago
Quoted from EdisonArcade:

AKA "The Dime Store" by my grandmother. Now that's an obscure blast from the past that I'd forgotten about. based in the Northwest

We never had a "Dime Store" but ours was 'The Stationary Store" where you'd buy your cards for all occasions, but there was a small toy section that I bought everything from Wacky Packages to Matchbox cars to The Super Elastic Bubble Plastic mentioned above.
What was funny is right around 1968-70 they turned a section of the store into a "Head Shop"...no drug paraphernalia was sold, obviously, but they went heavy on the Love Beads, Black Light Posters, Glo Paint, Incense and other cool things. It was Spencer's Gifts before there ever was one. Believe it or not, it was kind of innocent stuff, no where near the stigma of stores that sell it today....

1 month later
#2854 3 years ago

I do...and I STILL have the few that I got from those loaves of bread. IIRC, this was during the Summer of '74. We'd go thru a loaf of bread every other day (me & 4 other sisters) so I collected quite a few. One thing that'll make them stand out---they ALWAYS had the grease stains on the backing due to being placed on the bottom of the loaves.
If you haven't guessed, yes, I have a pedantic knowledge of Wacky Packages. I personally own close to 7500 (probably more) of them.

3 weeks later
#3256 3 years ago

OK, here's a test for you guys and unfortunately I don't have the answer...back around 1972-74 I got a birthday present that consisted of these tiny (1") cars that would speed around on a track. I believe gravity was the fuel, but I could be wrong. It had elevators to bring the cars to the top of the track, Rube Goldberg-style set up. Think the game "Mousetrap" but adapted to cars....man, if any of you answer this, I'll be spending the next week on Ebay trying to find it!

#3270 3 years ago

My 1st calculator...

calc (resized).jpgcalc (resized).jpg
1 month later
#3823 3 years ago
Quoted from DCP:

Here's one for you to try to identify...it's on my Seeburg Background Music player, the first 1000-song jukebox. The records are from about 1971. This tune is so familiar-sounding, but I can't place it. Almost sounds like a cigarette commercial or a TV theme. Any ideas?

Can't help you on the title of that theme (it WILL come to me, and I'll post it then) but here's my Seeburg 1000, actually it's a Seeburg SEP-1 Encore. Identical to the 1000's mech, just in a fancier cabinet. I have some 3-4000 (yes, THOUSAND) of the records for these and I'm in the process of digitizing them all for posterity. Yup, THAT'S going to take some time.....

sep1 (resized).jpgsep1 (resized).jpg
9 months later
#6708 2 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Extremely offensive or super rare 30s cool? We really like it but not sure if kosher to own as white people. Wife asked how'd we'd explain it. Thoughts?
[quoted image]

Well, if you should feel COMPELLED to explain it, you can say that was manufactured long ago and people didn't wake up looking to be offended each and every day. That should shut them down. Don't play into it.

#6715 2 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Last year my niece was playing my Frontiersman. She is one of the few family members that always enjoys playing a few games over the holidays. She's like 63% Native American. I pointed out the drunken Indian on the backglass and ask if she was offended? She just laughed and said hell no, kept playing away. Of course she had a few drinks in her at that point so maybe she wasn't thinking critically.
Edit: Not trying to make statement with this post, just thought it was funny and ironic.

Props to your niece! She has common sense, which sadly isn't so common anymore.

1 week later
#6769 2 years ago

Think about standing in your favorite mall in the early 1980's (Mine was the Trumbull Mall, Trumbull, CT) and then fast forward about 35--40 years. Who would ever imagine that they would be in danger of closing/being razed/converted to "affordable" housing. Never!
Sadly, our malls of our youth are the same as our parents Drive-In's of THEIR youth.

#6783 2 years ago

I think the last GOOD movie I've seen was 'Secondhand Lions' some years back. Movies nowadays absolutely suck. Cottonm4 said it perfectly...stupid computer graphics, explosions, etc. This is supposed to keep the viewer entertained I guess. Screw the story line, the plot, etc. It doesn't matter anymore. How sad.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cubesnake.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-were-your-favorite-childhood-toys?tu=cubesnake and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.