stfu.gif
speedy-gonzales-movie-donald-trump (resized).jpg
IMG_4109 (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20240319-093421 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240318_220904_Chrome (resized).jpg
Unknown (resized).jpeg
2024-03-18_09-56-44 (resized).jpg
shot0037 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

1,119 posts in this topic match your search for posts by cottonm4. You are on page 1 of 5.
#196 8 years ago

I think I was not the first kid on the block to have one of these. I think I was the only kid in the whole town that had a Woody Woodpecker cap.

322037301532_1_0_1_(resized).jpg322037301532_1_0_1_(resized).jpg

Seriously, you all are a bunch of hoarders I don't have any of my old toys--and I had a few that have been posted here.

The one I wish I still had: My dad was a Ford dealer in the 1950s and he would go to Dearborn MI once a year for the big Ford wing-ding the factory put on for the dealers. He always would come home with a toy. This was about the time George Jetson was making the scene and the futurists told us we all would be moving around in flying cars.

The toy he brought home was a model that Ford gave out. It car with no wheels. It had three air ducts on the bottom and a blow hose on the back. So, I would blow on the hose and the car would lift up like a hovercraft and I would push the hose to move the car. That car was not sold in stores; I wish I had it today.

I had a Frisbee that looked like a flying saucer.

frisbie1966_(resized).jpgfrisbie1966_(resized).jpg

And Vid, my day had a slide action .22 pistol. When I was five he taught me how to respect and handle a gun and how to shoot. When I was seven, I would call him at work and say me and so-and-so want to take the 22 out to the culvert and shoot tin cans. It was not a problem. As you said, ammo was cheap. There was not a tin can that was safe. You could not do that today. If you were the parent they would arrest you. And if you were the kid they would confiscate the gun and haul your ass downtown---and then arrest your dad.

#222 8 years ago

221 posts and nobody had a Magic 8 Ball?

images_(resized).jpegimages_(resized).jpeg

#398 8 years ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

Or this..... quicksilver murcury maze. I remember breaking the top and playing with the murcury.

toy_2_(resized).jpg

Shoot man, I used to break open old washing machine switches to play with the mercury and make dimes nice and shiny. You know, when you can't go buy a toy, make one

Unknown_(resized).jpegUnknown_(resized).jpeg

#466 8 years ago

Silly Putty fans. Do you remember Flubber? For get Robin Williams. Fred McMurray was the original.

flubber_(resized).jpgflubber_(resized).jpg

open-uri20150422-12561-18tqiq4_a70bb439_(resized).jpegopen-uri20150422-12561-18tqiq4_a70bb439_(resized).jpeg

Anyway, a toy spinoff of the movie Flubber was a big glob of bouncy stuff that acted like Silly Putty. I bought a bubble pack at T.G. & Y. A couple of days later the newspaper came out saying kids were having allergic reactions to Flubber. And my mom threw mine away.

#520 8 years ago

sliding_puzzle_(resized).jpgsliding_puzzle_(resized).jpg

rubix_cube_(resized).jpgrubix_cube_(resized).jpg

#663 8 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

I cut open many golf balls as a kid. The ones I saw in the seventies had some rubber-band-sh kind of stuff.
Now that I think about it... I cut open just about everything
No liquid.
faz

In the early 60s I cut several golf balls open. Most were just continued wrappings of rubber band like material until you got to a steel core. But…there was one that had a squishy rubber core. I poked it with a knife and this white mayonnaise textured goop shot out and onto my face. I don't recall cutting any more golf balls open after that.

#674 8 years ago

I never had either one but I sure lusted after that dashboard for a few days.

tumblr_o245wqOE7B1v6k3wbo1_1280_(resized).jpgtumblr_o245wqOE7B1v6k3wbo1_1280_(resized).jpg
monmag_(resized).JPGmonmag_(resized).JPG

#679 7 years ago

This is not a childhood toy, but after see some of you post pics of your made trains it got me to thinking about the model airplane airport in Germany and I think all you toy lovers would be jazzed by this link and the video in it. There are several videos on youtube about this place if you want to see how they did it.

http://singularityhub.com/2011/05/11/worlds-largest-model-airport-completed-in-hamburg-germany-150-square-meters-costing-4-8-million/

Now, so I can say this post was about toys, I spent a lot of dimes and quarters on these balsa wood gliders. They didn't last long. They were cheap. And I bought a lot of them.

c5c27f8ba9864357b87cae6f8c4e33ba_(resized).jpgc5c27f8ba9864357b87cae6f8c4e33ba_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#718 7 years ago

Are there any mad scientists here? Not me, but my neighbor had a chemistry set. Cool stuff. THe Atomic age. you know.

ChemcraftSet_(resized).JPGChemcraftSet_(resized).JPG

And since we are already in the basement, we had this sign:

2469-image-450-550-fit_(resized).jpg2469-image-450-550-fit_(resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#765 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I remember my first bumper car drive. I was puttering along avoiding people when out of nowhere an older kid blindsided me at warp speed. I learned quickly and after that.

Your bumper car is modeled after a '58,'59, and '60 Corvette! I have never seen one like that. I think I have seen everything modeled after the old Vettes, but never a bumper car. It is cool.

ada5c9c188b711e7be17d551e3462a939df178ce_(resized).jpgada5c9c188b711e7be17d551e3462a939df178ce_(resized).jpg

For comparison, here is a pic of my '59 Vette that I owned in 1971 (back when they were cheap) .
Leona's_house_and_1959_Vette_#2_(resized).jpgLeona's_house_and_1959_Vette_#2_(resized).jpg

1 year later
#1225 6 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

Rock Lords... or most known as a rip of of transformers... hehe.

I guess this is supposed to be a skyscraper turned into a robot. But the entry door on the skyscraper sort of makes it look like a robot with a hard-on. I guess it is another one of those things where the artist puts one over everybody's head.

12312d77b45c95f758d6305c12c46b8ce438efa8 (resized).jpg12312d77b45c95f758d6305c12c46b8ce438efa8 (resized).jpg

5 months later
#1275 6 years ago

Some of you guys who still have your 30-40-50 year old toys sound like you have a little bit of "hoarder" in your blood

1 week later
#1298 6 years ago
Quoted from mac622:

Also ordered one of theses from the back of a Boy's Life magazine in 70's. Got so much mileage from this thing!

I like your Boy's Life ad.

"125 steel darts". ...........................That would nor be happing today.

"Guaranteed 15 years"...........................................................That is an interesting number for a guarantee.

It is an interesting ad.

a3ec79ec9e4ba358dd8383f61c7f359ab3019a6a.png (resized).jpga3ec79ec9e4ba358dd8383f61c7f359ab3019a6a.png (resized).jpg

5 months later
#1337 5 years ago

I forgot about this board game: Aquire.

images (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg
images-1 (resized).jpgimages-1 (resized).jpg

#1341 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

How is it played? Never saw it....

It has been a lot of years.....Up to 6 players can start. You draw and play with tiles marked on a grid. A-1, A-2, D-4, etc You take turns to start laying down tiles in corresponding squares on the board. Tiles make companies. When it gets to the point where there is only one empty grid between two companies you lay down a merging tile and the larger number of tiles take over the smaller number of tiles. This is repeated until only one player is left who has taken everything. Each game will end in 1 hour to 1.5 hours.

And you can have some strange endings where the smallest player at the beginning will wind up taking all. You have to think about what you are doing. A little bit of luck and a lot of strategy.

I'm rusty and have left out a lot of details.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5/acquire

I guess you can play it online. Years ago I played Spades online so I don't see why not.

https://www.google.com/search?q=acquire%20game%20online&ved=0ahUKEwj3m6KDsbDcAhUPQK0KHcuCBx4QsKwBCEIoATAC&biw=1258&bih=903

3 months later
#1373 5 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

These were my favourites.
Wish I could still get a spin welder set for my son now.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I never have heard of the spin welder. A fusion welder for kids. That's cool.

They are on Ebay. For a price that would make you want to keep it under lock and key.

#1382 5 years ago

One of these

images (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg

Ammunition

1039520.large (resized).jpg1039520.large (resized).jpg
how-rocks-are-formed (resized).jpghow-rocks-are-formed (resized).jpg
BrokenGround (resized).jpgBrokenGround (resized).jpg
url-2 (resized).jpgurl-2 (resized).jpg

#1387 5 years ago
Quoted from ShinyBall:

thanks to my mom.

That is saying a lot. Most moms would have tossed something like that before you left junior high school.

3 months later
#1396 5 years ago

I just remembered that I used to have a doctor's kit when I was 4-5 years old. Me and the little girl next door used to play doctor. I seem to remember having a good time giving shots with the fake sringe

14690129 (resized).jpg14690129 (resized).jpg

3 months later
#1427 4 years ago
Quoted from ShinyBall:

Launching Tin Cans out of the can with water, was always fun.[quoted image]

We used to launch tin cans. But I never saw this water trick. I might have to go buy some firecrackers and check this out

#1437 4 years ago
Quoted from WolfManCat:

We eventually progressed to roman candles.
In our late teens my brother used his high school welding skills to makshift a ghetto looking rocket launcher out of some old round stock. Launched mortars a good 100 yards in any pointed direction. I'm sure the neighbors were thrilled.

This was not in my child hood and it could probably be classed as a weapon more than a toy, but at a party in the country with lots of space and distant targets (and a few beers) a potato gun can be quite fun. And in some places...illegal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato_cannon

#1445 4 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

We did. Looking back, firing bottle rockets and throwing dirt clods was great fun. Around construction sites, dirt clods were plentiful, free, and tempting targets were everywhere.

So, you build forts and have dirt clod fights? Sort of like snow balls fights but a little more intense? Didn't cost any money to play. But lucky to be alive. Yeah.

#1446 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

This one, Paul? Good choice!
We went from Bottle Rockets, to Roman candles, to Flashing Thunder, until we caught a Car on Fire!
Brooklyn was a War Zone!
Here is another favorite of mine! Time Bomb!
I remember bringing it on our first Plane trip, and playing with it on the Plane.
Think that would work today?
[quoted image]

I forgot all about Time Bomb.

#1449 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

It pleases me that this thread is still bouncing along after three plus years and I thank everyone for contributing to it. Fun memories for certain.
Slightly off topic but not too much, is a memory I have of a kid in the 7th grade who shaved his eyebrows off. Last I saw him at the end of the school year, it still had only partially grown back.
Picture stolen from the internet so I guess he wasn't the only one. LOL[quoted image]

My grandfather did that to his eyebrows with his Norelco electric razor. He shaved them off half-way, leaving the inner half. They never grew back so he forever had these eyebrows that looked like Hitler's moustashe.

2 weeks later
#1460 4 years ago
Quoted from McPin54:

Just got it running again. Had this new in 85 when I was 6![quoted image]

And you are still alive to talk about it !

#1467 4 years ago

I used to have a good time making noise with playing cards on my bike spokes. More fun was watching the adults trying to play some cards with a deck that had been raided

Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 11.57.43 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-07-25 at 11.57.43 AM (resized).png

#1471 4 years ago

Curse of the Cobra

Strange game. Who wins?

I’d like to know how this one works. Something is spinning inside but I’m curious about the trigger mechanism

#1474 4 years ago
Quoted from schwarz:

Last man standing wins, basically a two player unless you're cool with multiple winners or one loser.
Not sure how it works, never took it apart.

OK. I C now. I got confused with just the one person doing the demo. But something keeps resetting for a new position. It is not worth taking it apart, but the hidden engineering intrigues me.

#1478 4 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

Here was me as a little guy with what was one of my favourite games as a kid. I loved this Christmas. The Bowl-A-Matic 300.
When I got older, I always wanted a bowling game. Skeeball was great but I wanted full bowling action. The big ball bowlers are amazing, but wouldn't fit in my house. But recently I found an alternative that is decent space wise that incorporates both the physical element of bowl with modern technology. The Lane Master Pro. My kids love it.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You were a nice looking young man.

What happened ?

1 week later
#1498 4 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Do these mean anything to anyone? My bet is that millennials will have no idea[quoted image][quoted image]

I’m a baby boomer and I have no idea

#1500 4 years ago

Might have been a regional thing. Looks like it started in Britain
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conkers

Seems like it be near where horse chestnuts grow.

Our thing around here was the tried and true pushing a hoop with a t-bar stick

#1507 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Click clacks were awesome. My fondest memory of them for years as a child was the pair that was suspended on the power line above the road as you exited my neighborhood.

I had a pair of click clacks, or clackers as we called them. All was well and good until someone had a pair blow up and shatter all over the placed. The school put on an instant ban and they disappeared. I bet the inventors/sellers thought they were going to cut a fat hog but the product had a very short life cycle.

#1517 4 years ago

It is not really a toy, but how many of you remember gambling with your lunch room money by figuring no one could toss a coin as close to the wall as you.

Screen Shot 2019-08-10 at 3.05.59 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-08-10 at 3.05.59 PM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2019-08-10 at 3.06.49 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-08-10 at 3.06.49 PM (resized).png

3 months later
#1634 4 years ago
Quoted from jamesmc:

1969 Apple Krate that was restored 20 plus years ago. These were fun to ride as a kid. Fun to ride today at Newport and Carlsbad beach bike trails as long as it's a few mile ride. I'm 6'2" but still have fun with it.[quoted image]

That is a nice looking chess set in the background. Can you post some closer shots of it, please?

1 week later
#1663 4 years ago
Quoted from iamdrunker:

Not setup correctly. White on right, Queen on her own color. The board seems to be made incorrectly.

You are correct, I believe. Dark color on the left; Light color on the right. This board needs rotated 90 degrees. The light color queen will be to the king's left. The the dark color queen to the king's right.

Interesting that happened on this nice chess set. I'm guessing the play field/board was bonded on after the framing was made an someone installed it incorrectly and inspection did not catch it.

Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 10.54.05 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-12-03 at 10.54.05 PM (resized).png

Quoted from jamesmc:

I know little about chess and the civil war. My granddaughter and I thought it looked cool and might help her learn a little history and a little chess. And I can have cool little statues of people who had a part in our history.

It is a beautiful chess set with a minor issue. You need to rotate your King and Queen on the Union side. And just play with the colors as they are or rotate the table 90 degrees for play action.

Here is a pic of one like yours but the board is oriented correctly.

Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 11.14.20 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-12-03 at 11.14.20 PM (resized).png

If it is Franklin Mint, I'd send them a picture and rub their noses in it. Maybe they will send you a replacement just to keep you quiet

Maybe yours in one-of-a-kind and will be worth a fortune like a U.S. stamp that had a mistake made and only 4 or 5 were produced.

Here is the email address.

https://www.franklinmint.com/help/?faqView=ask

#1667 4 years ago
Quoted from jamesmc:

Thank you for showing me. Operator error. So my son in law said we should play a game. I starting thinking this kid came to my mortgage school 13 years ago and took an entrance exam after I grilled him and explained in detail our curriculum. Poor kid failed the test after I intimidated the hell out of him. I tend to test higher than my bachelor's degree, and tied my wife on the many different tests our school would use as we would compete when we first received the tests. I now think the kid might beat me as I can't even put the board on correctly. I'm sure I could handle anything he would say, but I'm afraid of the once a month jab my wife would throw at me because of losing to him. She doesn't play fair.[quoted image][quoted image]

So the board is not fixed. Interesting.

#1669 4 years ago
Quoted from jamesmc:

But I enjoy looking at the pieces on the board and learning about these people so I keep them on the board.

I don't blame you. It is a beautiful chess set worthy of display.

#1683 4 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Dang, you're right. I learned something new today. No wonder my brain is so messed up!

You weren't supposed to eat the shit It was to hang ON the tree.

#1734 4 years ago

My mom has a favorite story she likes to tell about me. When I was 3 or 4 she made a deal with me that I could get one of those steel dump trucks if I used the bathroom consistently. Apparently i was difficult to potty train and had frequent accidents.
I did well, got the truck...and destroyed it within weeks. I loved taking apart toys to see how they worked. She thought the steel would be my match, proved her wrong. They were pissed at me and surprised that I was able to break it.

This is the first time I have ever heard about anybody destroying a Tonka truck.

#1736 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I loved my Stingray Bike in the 60s!
However, Ill show my age. I started young on a childs bike like this....It was my uncles, second or third
hand that I found in their basement.
Could you imagine these today on the streets again!?![quoted image]

You got me to looking around. Those bikes are called Penny-Farthings. I never knew they had a name. And you can buy them brand spanking new, too. But I think I'll pass.

https://www.unicycle.com/unicycle-com-50-mk4-penny-farthing-black-black/

pennyUDC4BLK__67639.1526481586 (resized).jpgpennyUDC4BLK__67639.1526481586 (resized).jpg

#1751 4 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

There is a nicely made website called wishbookweb that is compiling scans of the old Sears wish book catalogs. The scan quality is very good. It’s interesting to look through the old stuff and the pages are packed with pictures of the old toys.
http://www.wishbookweb.com/the-catalogs/

That’s pretty cool. Especially the prices.

1 month later
#1778 4 years ago
Quoted from HFK:

We used to make spud guns with pvc, an electric grill lighter and hairspray. Used to also make tennis ball cannons out of beer cans.

Those things are powerful. You could kill someone with a 1.5" PVC pipe potato gun.

1 month later
#1783 4 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Sometimes I get depressed, seems like pretty much everything made these days sucks.

When I was kid growing up in the 50s, a trip to the dome store meant you were probably going home with something made in Japan back when Made in Japan was not a good thing. The only thing that lasted was Tonka Truck.

3 weeks later
#1790 4 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Anyone else have a cat that would eat the stuff, it would get stuck half way out and the cat would chase its own ass around the house trying to get it loose? Funny but sad at the same time.
Our trees would have tinsel only half way down to keep her from getting it, finally we gave up putting that crap on, no tinsel looked better than a tree only half done!

My neighbor's cat ate a piece of sandwich baloney with the that wrapping on the outside still there. That wrapping was dangling for a couple of days

2 weeks later
#1808 4 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

[quoted image]

Only a lefty will notice that Lucas McCain was a left-hander.

#1809 4 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Gilbert Atomic Energy Lab
but I was not able to build a thermonuclear firecracker that would make a 1 foot tall mushroom cloud.[quoted image]

I had to check this out.

Wikipedia has an interesting write up on it.

For dangerous toys, this kit was #2. #1 was Lawn Darts. Makes me glad I just played with the mercury from washing machine switches

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert_U-238_Atomic_Energy_Laboratory

#1812 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I bought a set of illegal lawn darts (the pointy kind)from an antique shop last year.
Funny that you can buy firearms but pointy lawn darts are a no no.

Funny that you can buy a BB gun but no lawn darts.

A set of lawn darts went through the Friday night auction several weeks ago; The auction does not care. It cleans out grandpa's house before the estate sale and what ever grandpa had gets sold.

#1814 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

We would have bb-gun fights in the woods by our neighborhood and while everyone else could use the full power of their guns, the rules limited me to just 2 pumps (I normally did 10 when shooting) since my gun was so powerful.
We never put any eyes out (didn't even wear protection), but rules were to aim below the neck. We have a multitude of kids crying and bb's lodged in the skin, but the shootouts were a staple of our youth during the long summers off from school.

Man, you Texas boys got with the program !

#1820 4 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

One of my fav's as a teen hoodlum, take dry ice, insert into a plastic 2L bottle, add a couple cups of H2O, seal lid and run like hell.
I even made a PVC cannon to create a nice deep sonic boom for the 4th of July and on Jan 1st.
As a more adventurous teen, substitute the above with glass, foil balls and pool acid, place mixture into culvert pipe and listen for the boom.
Good times, miraculously, I still have all my digits and no acid burns either. How did I manage that?!

Sounds like we need to be discussing your misspent youth. . It sounds so familiar.

1 month later
#1843 3 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

I am right handed but I can only shoot a rifle left-handed for some reason... Realized this when I was 12 with my first Daisy BB rifle.

I am left handed but swing a bat right handed. My dad was right handed and swung left. When I was a kid and wanting a guitar, the music instrument sales rep told me to learn to play a right handed guitar as lefty guitars had to be special ordered. Today, I could not play a right handed guitar if tried. I can't play guitar anyway, but that is a different story

1 month later
#1860 3 years ago

I asked for and got this game for Christmas in 1962. And I don't think I ever managed to play a game with it. Judging from Ebay prices, it is not on many people's wish list.

1962-square-mile-board-game-milton_1_740b82379666c92f293cf0b86ebf76e2 (resized).jpg1962-square-mile-board-game-milton_1_740b82379666c92f293cf0b86ebf76e2 (resized).jpg

Unknown-1 (resized).jpegUnknown-1 (resized).jpeg

#1864 3 years ago

Some friends of mine had a game called "Beat Detroit". I hated that game. Every move you made was loser: You landed on Harry's Hilltop Service and got cleaned out. Or you landed on the square that said you needs brakes or mufflers. Or tires. Or an oil change or shocks. Anything to get on your pocket. Basically, the people who got around the play field with the most money left were the winners.

And then I took a good hard look at that game and figured out why it was so shitty: There was not real competition between players. You could play the game by yourself and have the same action and results just as if you played with 4,5, or 6 people.

There was no strategy. Just roll the dice, land on your square and shell out what you were told.

A real piece of crap.
image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#1883 3 years ago
Quoted from PappaDubz:

Only toy I have left from my childhood...K.I.T.T
I also had a bravestar fort playset that I always played with.
[quoted image]

That one did not live on the shelf. It looks like you got your money's worth.

#1884 3 years ago

I can't remember if Mouse Trap has been brought up yet. Sorry if this is a dupe.

image (resized).pngimage (resized).png

#1885 3 years ago

Are there any broomstick cowboys in the house?

s-l500 (resized).jpgs-l500 (resized).jpg

#1901 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

claims to be almost foolproof.

Ha Ha Ha. It won't cut off your finger but you could lose just a finger tip.

1 week later
#1999 3 years ago

Here is the doll to have. If you can find one. Future collector's item.

Hasbro made new doll that did not go over so well with the parents of young daughters.

" The troll doll has a button on its stomach that, when pressed, says words like "Can I have a hug?" and other sweet phrases."

" What isn't advertised anywhere on the box or in the media is that there is another button on the bottom of the doll, between its legs and under its skirt. When pressed, the doll makes sounds like "Whee" and "Oh."

The 2.08 video will show it all.

I scratch my head and try to think about how corporations manage to make stupid screw ups like this. If I was boss, a new market research dept. would be forthcoming.

https://www.hotnewhiphop.com/hasbro-recalls-trolls-doll-amid-accusations-of-grooming-children-for-sexual-abuse-news.115632.html

Now, back to the toys of our childhood. Anybody want to play some Jarts ?

#2018 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

The Spirograph post reminded me of this other forgotten but messy gem.
[quoted image]

I have a spare blender motor that needs something to do. It would work perfect for one of these paint spinners. I have lots of little kids now living on my street that might get a kick out of this.

#2034 3 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

I had that exact one back in 1972.

My friend had one in the early 60s.

#2035 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

Must be from the same design team that made my Batman Water Pistol.[quoted image]

I never thought I was going to get to use these 2 pics. I realize it is a bit of a stretch for the toys of our childhood thread but I cannot resist. Once you see it you cannot un-see it.

This is Tom Hanks in the movie "Big" from 1988 the when he was living in a toy store.

Here he is with a skyscraper toy.

Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 5.27.08 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-08-12 at 5.27.08 PM (resized).png

Well, the toy is a transformer and it has been transformed into some sort of "creature " and the front entry door is now a huge hard-on.

Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 5.25.56 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-08-12 at 5.25.56 PM (resized).png

#2043 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

Ashamed to say but the chop-o-matic would and did make for a excellent death chamber for many a small insect.Demented yes but also proud of our improvising skills at such an early age. RIP to . Tthe many water bugs,wasps and spider we put down the summer of 74. Glad we never fulfilled our dream of filling the transparent death chamber with lightning bugs. Would have been a hell of a light show. One I would never be able to unsee.
[quoted image]

Quoted from vec-tor:

I didn't have that.. but I did try to play "pit and the pendulum"
with a crudely put together Aurora model and one of my dads single blade razor attached to it...
Ah, the joys of having to kill tomato worms.
[quoted image]

Diabolical.

We used to take our Daisy BB guns and go blast tiny baby frogs into nothing. Squeeze off one shot and that frog was gone.

#2058 3 years ago

Growing up with a beer pocketbook and champaign taste, I spent my time mostly dream shopping.

Toys start on page 432. Robots are on page 452.

http://www.wishbookweb.com/FB/1962_Sears_Christmas_Book/index.html#432

I'd like the cargo plane with 4 cars on page 454, please. And one of the red/ white remote controlled cars on page 465.

#2059 3 years ago

And nuclear anything was the rage in the fifties.

I did have a bomb similar to the one posted here.

I would like one copy of the Gilbert U-238 Atomic Energy Lab.

" Owners got a special coupon to order more of the radioactive substances due to the possible short life of the materials. "

" the ad for the toy states it is “Completely Safe And Harmless!"

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2019/05/20/atomic-toys/

800px-1940s_gilbert_chemistry_set_04-640x480-640x480 (resized).jpg800px-1940s_gilbert_chemistry_set_04-640x480-640x480 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#2066 3 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Anybody remember watching TV thru the use of one of these?[quoted image]

I have seen those but only as a unit sit-in on a shelf.

2 weeks later
#2122 3 years ago

Not really a toy, but these Casio Pocket TVs that Radio Shack used to sell have Christmas stocking stuffer written all over them.

12369631603_e01ba9c1b7_b (resized).jpg12369631603_e01ba9c1b7_b (resized).jpg

hqdefault (resized).jpghqdefault (resized).jpg

Now we watch everything on iPhones.

#2126 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Just dug this out, to play with the granddaughter. At 1-1/2 years old, she was thrilled with the concept of
moving the levers, and watching the balls drop.....next up Avalanche! Love seeing her eyes up, and laugh!

That looks like fun for even an old fart

#2143 3 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Unfortunately, I cannot post a photo of my most favorite child hood toy, I never left home without it.

Judging from your spelling and punctuation, it looks like you are still carrying it around

#2145 3 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Implying I'm a single 'didget' typer?
Well its bulky but I consider it carry on!

Actually, I thought you had one of those gadgets that let you type by speaking, leaving both hands free for any nefarious action

#2160 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I use to pop those Fizzies directly into my mouth. Loved em.

I forgot all about these. When I was a kid they were great.

#2175 3 years ago

Pick up line extraordinaire: Wanna play some Cootie?

1972-Cootie-Box (resized).jpg1972-Cootie-Box (resized).jpg

#2202 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

When I was born, my Mom’s co-worker gave her a gift for the new baby. It was a small plush white dog with a tag that said his name was Morgan. I slept every night holding Morgan next to me. I brought him along in my little suitcase on all vacations and sleepovers. Then, one day around age 9, I decided I was now too old to sleep with a stuffed animal. I marched out to a big dumpster in the alley behind my house and tossed in Morgan. That night, I couldn’t sleep— regretting that I had thrown Morgan out. At daybreak, I ran outside to retrieve my lifelong friend from the dumpster. To my horror, the dumpster was now completely empty...
Forty years later, I was able to find some of these plush Morgan dogs on eBay. I discovered that they came in several sizes and colors. It took me a while to find a small white one, but Morgan is now back home! (Umm, but I don’t sleep with him anymore.)
[quoted image]

Your Morgan story reminds me of this.

#2203 3 years ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

Great story, I am glad you found one like you had as a child. I had a blue blanket I slept with Satin edging that I would run through my fingers. The end of the satin edging was frayed open and I could put my fingers inside. Once my Grandma though she would "repair" the blanket by sewing up the edge. I cried and cried until she ripped it back open. I think I stopped sleeping with it on when I had my first sleep over, didn't want my friend to know I had a blankie I guess. Still have it in storage somewhere ...
[quoted image]

I had pink one. I liked the feel of the satin running across my face.

#2214 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

What we ate in the 60s.....during art class......
[quoted image]

With a chewed up pencil for a spoon.

#2249 3 years ago

We were making our own button spinners in the 60s. And then the commercial enterprises jumped on.

unnamed (resized).jpgunnamed (resized).jpg

unnamed-1 (resized).jpgunnamed-1 (resized).jpg

#2271 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

not as cool as a sisyphus table though.

I never have heard of this, much less never seeing this word "sisyphus".

How does this thing work?

Thanks

#2286 3 years ago
Quoted from ManyQuarters:

Got this for Christmas one year in the early 1970's:[quoted image]

They (whoever "they" are) need to remake these and call them a Pinball Electronics training kit.

#2291 3 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

Now that you mention it, I'm not sure how stolen Playboys haven't made this list yet. They were always a childhood favorite!
This is the December 1972 issue. It even has a pretty cool article on pinball (because we all know you only read Playboy for the articles ). Too bad the Fireball gets lost in the centerfold.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

In the early 60s, the dad of my friend from across the street had loads of Playboys someone gave him. After his workday ended, the dad would lie on the basement couch and read the articles. It was no big deal. He had them laying around in the the open. My friend and I would look at those mags after school and laugh our asses off from looking at the cartoons.

At the age of 10 we did not understand a lot of the info. but we had a good time.

#2298 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You guys and your electronics labs. I'd rather play with uranium.[quoted image]

We thought you had already been playing with it for years.

#2299 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You guys and your electronics labs. I'd rather play with uranium.[quoted image]

Danm, o-din, that's quite a price. That kit has to be uber rare, I would think.

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 4.27.10 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-10-17 at 4.27.10 PM (resized).png
#2332 3 years ago

There are so many toys coming up in the thread that I am starting to feel like I got cheated when I was growing up.

#2339 3 years ago
Quoted from VanishingVision:

Screwball Scramble/Run Yourself Ragged/SNAFU, I believe this one is the variant I had. Like Mouse Trap without the board game getting in the way of the action.
[quoted image]

Now we need to find its twin called FUBAR.

#2341 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Too much deja vu for me here.
I just pulled Snafu out yesterday, and started cleaning this morning! Here's another in the genre...of course I have more!
[quoted image]

I am a child of the 50s. All of our toys were still made of metal. Plastics started coming on in the 60s. The dimestores were loaded up with plastic flowers. And then plastics took off and every thing was being made of plastic.

And truth be told , there is no way many of these games would have existed if it were not for plastic.

#2379 3 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Or lights up a cigarette. I have come across many older gals that have
face scares from the flammable stuff.

Not toy related: It has been a few years ago that the local paper printed about the woman who was smoking a cigarette while applying her hair spray and caught her hair on fire. She did not live to tell the story.

Back on the toy topic: It is amazing, in hind site, about how dangerous many of the toys were. That Silly String video was an eye opener. Well, that and also those Uranium/chemical kits.

#2409 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

I remember playing games back in the 60s with a few of the Whitman card decks.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Hell yeah ! I had the Old Maid set.

Played that along with a lot of regular card deck Slap Jack.

#2428 3 years ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

I had my Burger Chef Yo yo kept by my grade school teacher and she never gave it back!
Which by the way I loved eating at Burger Chef much better than McDonald's and the first to give prizes along with the food before McDonald's did.

I had a steering wheel knob with a light blue background and a beetle (a real bug) encased in clear plastic. The music teacher came into the room, sat down, saw me with that knob and commandeered it away from me. I never saw it again.

Best-Steering-Wheel-Knob-1080x600 (resized).jpgBest-Steering-Wheel-Knob-1080x600 (resized).jpg

#2434 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

[quoted image]

Talk about suggestive selling. I saw thru the crap ( pun intended) and never bought a pair.

Three key words in the ad: 1) imagine and 2) seem and 3) "see".
----------------------------------------------

I did buy those instructions from Charles Atlas on how to make your body bigger so you could go kick the asses of those bullies who were kicking sand in your face; In front of your girlfriend.

manufacture_men1 (resized).jpgmanufacture_men1 (resized).jpg

779eca1133f4a92497b8f36a963ab831 (resized).jpg779eca1133f4a92497b8f36a963ab831 (resized).jpg

charlesatlas04 (resized).jpgcharlesatlas04 (resized).jpg

My package arrived and I got burned. It came in an unmarked manilla envelope guaranteed to make any porno shop envious. It was several pages of instructions of isometric exercises. Nothing different from all of the exercises we did in high school gym classes. I knew I had been had.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unlike Ralphie in A Christmas Story, I never bought the Ovaltine Decoder Ring.

#2436 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Wasn't that Charles Atlas deal one of these?
I had one back in high school and a few hours a night while watching TV along with a bunch of sit ups and I could wear my painter's overalls at school with no shirt, no problem.[quoted image]

I'm not sure if this was Charles Atlas, or just another ad in the back of the magazine. My half-brother, much older than me, had a set of those along with those wire forms you squeeze to improve your grip. He lived on our grandparents farm so I know they were mail order.

#2471 3 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Surfing the weekly auction and found this. I remember having this at one point. Must have been a gift because I'm pretty sure I never used it. Dad probably sold it at a garage sale
[quoted image]

I like magic. I like to watch it being performed. I bought some tricks kits when I was younger, but I know I would never be good enough to perform; Once I learned how the trick was done I lost interest.

#2480 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff. But I am also cheap. I found one of these clocks in the Salvation Army Store for a couple of bucks.

Every minute, one of those little steel balls would clack as it dropped into its "one minute" parking place. For 4 more minutes, on the minute, 4 more balls would clack into the "one minute" parking place. When the 5th ball dropped in, all 5 of them would roll down a chute into the "5 minute" parking place where one ball would park itself and the other 4 would roll and clack on down to the bottom, making a racket as they went. This happened every 5 minutes.

Once 12 balls were locked into the "5 minute" parking place, the chute would tip and now you have 12 balls clacking their way back down to bottom. And one ball would fall into the "1 hour" parking place.

At midnight and at noon, it would be 5 balls clacking (minutes), followed by 12 balls clacking (5 minutes) , yet to be followed by another 12 balls (hours) clacking their way to the bottom.

Years ago, I did some trading and wound up with a grandfather clock; After two weeks I got so used to the hourly chimes that I no longer heard them chiming.

This ball bearing clock was not the way. That clackity clacking on the minute got annoying real fast. Not only that, if you were across the room you could not tell the time unless you had the eyes of an eagle. The clock lasted 3 or 4 days before I took it back and donated it.

7265ebcbe68b3b59f99207ff4df7b68bd173ad52 (resized).jpg7265ebcbe68b3b59f99207ff4df7b68bd173ad52 (resized).jpg

#2491 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

not sure making them illegal was really the answer though.
pretty sure more kids get accidentally shot per day then felled by Jarts throughout all of history.

Actually, a Wikipedia page shows that these were dangerous items.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawn_darts

"On December 18, 1970, a federal judge failed to uphold the proposed ban.[5][2]

" In April 1987, seven-year-old Michelle Snow was killed by a lawn dart thrown by one of her brothers' playmates in the backyard of their home...

"... on December 19, 1988 the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission introduced an outright ban on lawn darts in the U.S.[8] In the previous eight years, 6,100 Americans had visited hospital emergency rooms as the result of lawn-dart accidents. Of that total, 81% were 15 or younger, and half were 10 or younger. During the week when the commission voted to ban the product, an 11-year-old girl in Tennessee was hit by a lawn dart and fell into a coma.[6]

" In Canada, lawn darts caused at least 55 serious injuries.[9] They were banned for sale in the country from July 1989.[10][11] The sale of second-hand lawn darts is also illegal under the Hazardous Products Act."

#2517 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I got one of these for Christmas when I was about 3. Though I don't recall the yellow plastic, I remember mine as being all grey.
LTG : )
[quoted image]

Ooooh, it was “electronic“. Looks to me like it was plastic

#2522 3 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Hey, it occurs to me that the thread title implies my childhood is over. "Were"?
I have way more toys now as a relatively successful old child than I did as an economically disadvantaged young child.
I even just picked up, at an auction, the same model stereo I had in my bedroom as a teenager! After unseizing the turntable (a victim of the same grease they used on EM steppers, apparently) it's like I'm back in my parents' house! I keep expecting to be told, "TURN IT DOWN!"
[quoted image]

Damn. I remember the early 70s when nice stereo setups were the thing. Everybody I/you went to visit had a nice stereo.

Everybody was talking all this technical BS that their stereo had.

That one brings back memories

#2537 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Well My Uncles and older Cousins use to show me this as a kid.
They came it different sizes, and were made in the 40s, to the early 60s.
My brother and I wood pick our numbers, along with the fashionable cigarette smokers, who would light the race.
A Toy I looked forward too, when we visited relatives.
Of course it was a Scripto Vu Lighter!
I have a bunch floating somewhere.....I wanted to reproduce in color with more timely graphics.....[quoted image][quoted image]

I had a cigarette lighter like that.

#2549 3 years ago
Quoted from pinworthy:

I could never convince my parents to let me have an all in one stereo in my room, so at 16 I used my very first paycheck to buy one of these (not mine just pic I found) you got me thinking of grabbing one on eBay for fun[quoted image]

What a difference 40 years makes.

ea07659403b3ae789891fabeae6a28e713f9fa4d.png (resized).jpgea07659403b3ae789891fabeae6a28e713f9fa4d.png (resized).jpg

Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 8.24.15 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-11-05 at 8.24.15 AM (resized).png

#2566 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

You sure spent a lot of time looking at the ads in the back of the comic books, etc. :-

#2574 3 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

but always good for a giggle.
Same with fake lotto tickets. We've gotten a few friends and family over the years with them

Hey ! I won !! I won !!

Huh ?

You bastard

#2588 3 years ago

Who remembers all of those model cars with the oversized super chargers from around 15-20 years ago? If I had been kid when these things hit the market I would have a wall of them in my house. But they were after my time. Ridiculousy cool.

Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 11.10.31 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-11-13 at 11.10.31 AM (resized).png

#2597 3 years ago
Quoted from onemoresean:

Not a toy, but I’ve always enjoyed some s’mores around a fire.
I found this stainless washing machine barrel and chair, in a clean up pile on the side of the road.
I made it shine with some mothers polish.
[quoted image][quoted image]

That's cool. What do you do with it?

#2647 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I drank a whole bottle of Robitussin and then watched TV with my unsuspecting grandmother.
[quoted image]

You put up an imposter. Where's the codine?

You used to be able to sign a chit at the pharmacy and get a bottle. Nowdays, no pharmacy will sell it unless you have a prescription. And then you just get a little bitty bottle for big bottle prices.

And the crap for over the counter or on the shelf is still crap after all these years. Same level of quality as 40 years ago: It doesn't work.

#2653 3 years ago

I hav not posted these because I cannot find any pictures of them.

When I was little kid, my dad had a Ford dealership in a small town. Every once in awhile he would have to travel to Ford up in Detroit for business. He always bought something home for me.

1) From the Ford people he got a little model car to bring home. It was different. It had no wheels. This was in 1958-59 when the jet age was upon use. Imagine George Jetson flying home to mama in his bubble top car with no wheels. This model had three "air pads" in the bottom and a small tube/pipe on the back. A 3 for flex tube plugged on to the pipe. And then you blow air in to the tube which caused the little car to float in the air.

I lost it years ago. I wish I still had it. It was never sold in retail stores. It was just some corporate stuff that Ford did. I have no idea how many were made, etc. AFAIK, mine could have been the only one made.

2) He came home with a toy seal and toy beach ball. There was a magnet in the beach ball and a magnet in the nose of the seal. Push the seal towards the beach ball and it would spin away. I was about 5 YO when he brought that home. I recall having fun with it.

#2658 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

Is this the seal toy? No luck finding anything on the car on google but sure somebody will

The seal I had came with a ball that sat on the floor. When you pushed then seal towards the ball, the ball would start spinning and roll away.

But yours is close.

#2659 3 years ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

The auto dealers all had "promo" cars, scale models of their current car models that were used to help sell cars (give to kids after their parents took a test drive, etc.). They were very popular in the 50s, 60s and 70s. What you are describing sounds like something different, maybe a scale model of their concept car, the 1957 Ford Volante, that used 3 fans for lift (pictured below). The scale model you had would be unusual, rare and maybe one of a kind, since the Volante was only ever a 3/8 size concept car.
[quoted image]

The one I had was not a promo car; Not in the sense of all the promo cars I am familiar with. The closest I can get you to it is that it looked somewhat like an AMC Pacer but without the wheels.

I remember the car being red in color and the tube was an off-white color with a small mouthpiece. And it had a box. I can't get you farther than this.

I would call it more of a novelty. Once the fascination of making it float over the floor wore off, there was not else to do. I don't know if my dad got it as gift from Ford or if he went shopping while he was visiting Ford.

And the 3 air vents on the bottom looked somewhat like the razor heads on a Norelco shaver. When you blew on the tube it would force air into the 3 vents and lift the car from the floor. It was kind of like an air hockey table.

Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 4.51.37 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-11-21 at 4.51.37 PM (resized).png

#2672 3 years ago
Quoted from EdisonArcade:

Used to enjoy making paper mache balloon pinatas.
[quoted image]

We made maracas with paper mache and light bulbs.

#2680 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

I always loved cheap little magic tricks. At a truck stop or gift shop I would look for a rack of Adams tricks. My favorite magic trick was the Color Vision Box.

Oooh. Ooh. I had a ball and vase.

d0f719018371faeca026c555631a3d484cf2bc06.jpeg (resized).jpgd0f719018371faeca026c555631a3d484cf2bc06.jpeg (resized).jpg

0482mm (resized).jpg0482mm (resized).jpg

#2681 3 years ago

It's not really a toy, but ...

Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 11.16.58 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-11-22 at 11.16.58 AM (resized).png

#2706 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

Around age 8, I had a toy printing press like this one. Bad idea... The first thing I did with it was spill all the ink— horribly staining our white Formica kitchen table. The printing press was in the trash that same day.

That's funny. And those old formica tables have become nostalgic collectors items.

#2712 3 years ago

My friend had two younger sisters when this game hit the market around 1965-66

I don't know how this game got past the censors

il_794xN.997855507_r9lx (resized).jpgil_794xN.997855507_r9lx (resized).jpg

#2726 3 years ago

I didn't know I still had this. It was something else my dad brought home to me. The small magnet has fallen off the roof of the creature's mouth. What it did was open its mouth when you ran the magnet in the ring holder over its nose.

When the nose is down there are a pair of eyes that appear.

Not much to it, but 65 years later I still have it.

IMG_4988 (resized).JPGIMG_4988 (resized).JPG

#2747 3 years ago

Adult toy

Hard to believe that Billy Bass is 22 years old.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Mouth_Billy_Bass

"The device "..." sings kitschy cover songs..."

"... and "Take Me To The River" by Al Green, who said he received more royalties from it than from any other recording of the song."

#2752 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

[quoted image]

Hopefully that is not YOUR souvenir from the money you spent to shoot that piece of paper. They are difficult, but geez

#2757 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

Yeah I couldn’t hit shit but at least I got a shit load of shots off considering I had to pump that damn gun 10 times per shot.
5 years later and my arm still hurts : )
[quoted image]

You will never convince me that the carnies did not bend the sights on those guns

#2758 3 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

The Jocko reminds me of wonderbread
[quoted image]

Wonderbread "helps build strong bodies 12 ways."

And Rolaids consumes 47 times it weight in excess stomach acid.

Yeah yeah. I grew up glued to the TV, too

#2766 3 years ago
Quoted from DCP:

We were a Wham-o family in the 60s. Picture from eBay.
Loved my Monster Magnet!
[quoted image]

That brings back memories. I did not have the magnet, but I had Wham-O Frisbee. Only it was not called Frisbee at the time. All that I can find on Google says the original Frisbee was 1965 or 1966.

In 1963 or 1964, I was 10 but my mom would not let me stay home alone. I had baby sitter who was around 15-16. Trina lived 3 houses down from my cousins house. Trina took a trip to Disneyland and came back with goodies for my cousins and i. She brought back 2 Frisbees. The looked like flying saucers. There were little windows molded into the surface and inside the windows were little men.

The best I can do is this pic. It is called a Frisbee but it is also called a Flying Saucer.

Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 4.47.27 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-11-29 at 4.47.27 PM (resized).png

Mine looked like this one. Except this one names the planets and has no windows molded in. Mine did not have the planets named. But it was the same chunky style before Wham-O redesigned them to make them sleeker.

Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 4.48.46 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-11-29 at 4.48.46 PM (resized).png

Strangely, I recall the packaging. It was a red saucer backed with that light weight cardboard that is still used in packaging today. And it was shrink-wrapped in the same type of plastic we still rip open today.

You can see from the pic that the cost cutting had started as the package is just a plastic bag with no card board backer.

#2773 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

Anybody ever have the Glow-In-The-Dark Frisbee? I had one, but I can’t recall ever really throwing it outside in the dark. Who the hell throws Frisbees around at night time?
[quoted image]

Can you imagine if you threw that across semi-busy street in night time. Sail it over the roof of an oncoming car. . Did you see that, Ethel ?

#2787 3 years ago
Quoted from DCP:

We spent so much time around our local tracks, it's a wonder we weren't killed. Those were the true Wonder Years! Wondering if you're gonna die doing stupid shit!!!

Quoted from DCP:

We were wicked little shits in the 60s, always running around unsupervised. We loved playing with matches, and set numerous fires in the field behind our house.

Do we need to be talking about your mis-spent youth?

It sounds like you had good time while growing up
-------------------------------------------------------------------

I grew up in a small town and moved away. But I would go back and visit my best friend every once in a while. Small towns are notorious for having little to do. Kids looking for action get creative.

When we were old enough to drive, my friend got a 1954 Chevy. I went to visit.

My friend and his friends got a wild idea one night to see if that old Chevy would line up with the rail road tracks. They drove a couple of miles out of town to a railroad crossing and lined up. It was perfect match. The Chevy's wheelbase set the tires on the tracks and just inside of center.

When I visited I was taken for a ride. Line up. Release the clutch and start moving. Shift into 2nd gear and then shift into 3rd. And we were rolling down the tracks at about 30 miles an hour. ( I think we were all smoking Marlboros at the time. A real bunch of little smart asses ) It was a nice two mile cruise until the tracks crossed another road and we got back on the dirt road.

This car-on-the-track" business only worked while moving forward. My friend tried backing up before taking his first ride. Moving in reverse did not work. Once on the tracks you were committed to driving down the tracks until the next crossing.

We had no idea of the train schedules but there were never much train action at night in that small town. If a train would have been coming the only option would be a hard turn and wind up (hopefully) at the side of tracks.

We were kids. It was a nice ride that brought on that giddy feeling you get when you are playing the part of a vandal. And not thinking about the consequences
( Only young vandals would know that giddy feeling that I am taking about )

If this guy had been in a 1954 Chevy he would have made it

Portland-Police-Department-Car-on-Tracks (resized).jpgPortland-Police-Department-Car-on-Tracks (resized).jpg

#2847 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

[quoted image]

e0cfda2aa4601f7a4e09c1e33f1fe619184823a4.jpeg (resized).jpge0cfda2aa4601f7a4e09c1e33f1fe619184823a4.jpeg (resized).jpg

You are reminding me of the days when I would watch Roy Rogers. His sidekick, Pat Brady was always tooling around in Nellybelle and looking for places to use his geiger counter.

This was my introduction to the world of uranium and then on to plutonium and bombs and nuclear power.

And just why was Pat and Nellybelle out looking for uranium? It was a TV shows keeping up with what was relevant at the time.

Google and Wikipedia to the rescue

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium_mining_in_the_United_States

I guess the question is: Did the Roy Rogers TV show give birth to these uranium toys that were being sold or did the toys come on first and the Roy Rogers show writers glom onto it?

#2848 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

[quoted image]

My dad had 3 silver dollars that were completely worn down to just silver disks. I don't know how long he has been carrying them around. He said they were for good luck.

My nephew has has possession of them for years now.

#2853 3 years ago

Almost 2900 posts on our favorite toys. Toys of all sizes, shapes and forms. The thing that keeps crossing my mind is what the mindset, what are the skills needed, ah.....basically what kind of twisted brainfest does it take to come with all of these different kinds of toys? Are the toy designers just a bunch of kids who never grew up?

Of all the toys presented here, I think that uranium science chemistry kit impresses me the most.

#2858 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

This one was usually followed with, " Go stand in the corner". Followed by the sound of paper being crushed as it got tossed in the trash can.

44181ea90ecdd769d4fc75ece5232a715b4ebb2f.jpeg (resized).jpg44181ea90ecdd769d4fc75ece5232a715b4ebb2f.jpeg (resized).jpg

#2861 3 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

I forgot, I did have this Tyco set...never could get the train cars to stay on. They just had the guide pins and linked together via little beaded chains (like keychain or dog tags have).

I had an Aurora set. It was basic set. But my friends and I would jack the track in the air with some shoe boxes. And then on the big hill we created we would put on few drops of oil and try to smoke the tires on the upward climb

#2863 3 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

How does you tube know??? This came up while I was goofing off...

Son, I have just been informed that I am being transferred with my job. We will be moving.

You will have to pack it up.

hqdefault (resized).jpghqdefault (resized).jpg

#2870 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

Funny that reminded me of the night I was waiting for a sales “tech” in a AT&T mobile store years ago. I was waiting for 45 minutes and kept being told that someone would be with me soon. 20 minutes later and still no service(just like their phones). I HAD to get a new phone that night so I had to improvise. I noticed all the display phones were tethered to a security device that if phone was jostled sent off an alarm that they had to reset with a key to turn off. 7 jostled phones later and finally I got waited on. Surprised it took 7 alarms... but it worked. Got a new phone 10 minutes before the store closed and NEVER walked into that store again.

That's thinking outside the box. Love it.

#2907 3 years ago

wrong thread.

#2916 3 years ago
Quoted from tcape61:

This is me back in 1966. That gun you could pump up and it made a really big compressed air BANG when you pulled the trigger. Surprised it did not kill me!
[quoted image]

How did you get that picture past the censors

da1253ee122ffe27c5ae0b979c389dc7d5fe5259 (resized).jpgda1253ee122ffe27c5ae0b979c389dc7d5fe5259 (resized).jpg

#2923 3 years ago

One of my playtoys in the past

9e99780d5425cd93eedf8925439359cf (resized).jpg9e99780d5425cd93eedf8925439359cf (resized).jpg

#2926 3 years ago
Quoted from bssbllr:

Wow learned something new today. Thanks.

Shotgun: Way back in 1969-1970, when the U.S. was mired in Viet Nam, all of the military battles were shown on TV. Everybody would come home from work, set down to the dinner table and turn on the TV and watch live rounds whizzing all over the place.

Drugs were starting to be become a problem for the Army over in Viet Nam. There was news segment with the cameras trained on some of these dope smoking Army guys. One guy, a senior man in the platoon had a pipe like the pipe your grandpa use to smoke. He was loaded up with what was probably some real good Asian smoke. Thai Stick, maybe? The last thing he did for the camera was to grab a 12 gauge shotgun and jam grandpa's lit pipe into the chamber. Then he turned the shotgun towards the camera and blew a cloud of smoke. The end.

Not long after that, some one cooked up a way to hold a doobie in their mouth and blow a lung full of smoke your way. And that was called shotgunning. I don't know if whoever coined the phrase saw the same newscasts I saw on TV, but I never had a problem in making a connection.

And then a few years later, the Power Hitter hit the market. I saw my first Power Hitter in 1977. Those things were nice.

#2927 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

And I just cleaned my power hitter from the 80s, for the first time since then in storage!
......Last used on the Road Trip to Live Aid! 1985!

This thread should be named "Taking a walk down memory lane". I have stuff going thru my brain that I forgot about years ago.

#2951 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

I forgot some of them talked. Apologize for the nudity. Best I could do
[quoted image]

The talking doll that started the talking stuff.

Of course, G.I. Joe was an action figure .

At least Chatty Cathy had some panties on

#2957 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

I would do the same thing in the 70s trying to record TV show theme songs using this very same reel to reel. Your Sony looks much more convenient then this behemoth.
[quoted image]
Happy Days

Those reel-to-reels were the thing. Man, if you had a reel-to-reel in your stereo kit you had something.

#2969 3 years ago
Quoted from DCP:

Related to TV, but steering back to the "toy" topic --
We had a unique "toy" that Dad invented called the Commercial Killer. It was a heavy-duty push-on/push-off switch mounted to a 6" square piece of wood. It was hardwired to the TV's speaker with 20 feet of lamp cord. Whoever was in charge of the Commercial Killer kept it on the arm of their chair, and smacked the button as soon as a commercial came on, muting the speaker.
Of course, if you weren't paying attention and were .002 seconds late turning the sound back on, everyone would yell at you and someone else would gain control of the Commercial Killer.
Dad made them for all of our relatives one Christmas in the mid-60s. They were very popular!

Never heard of that before. Your dad was ahead of his time

#2976 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

Here’s a wooden puzzle my Dad gave me when I was a kid. I think he got it from somebody at work. I thought it was interesting and spent a lot of time trying to solve it, but I don’t think I ever did.

Wow ! This would be better than the set of electronic chess I just bought. Is there even a solution for that?

9ef60ac75c36af5c19d08e90d18cd4554a22df34.jpeg (resized).jpg9ef60ac75c36af5c19d08e90d18cd4554a22df34.jpeg (resized).jpg

#2998 3 years ago

Mooch keeps bringing things to mind.

3901d3f4fc67737e41d507ca4de10032 (resized).jpg3901d3f4fc67737e41d507ca4de10032 (resized).jpg

#3010 3 years ago
Quoted from onemoresean:

What’s left of my fireworks from around 38 years ago.
They are now collectible.[quoted image][quoted image]

I would be afraid to pick those up. Figure they would be unstable and blow up in my hand.

#3051 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

I had this cool plastic submarine toy that I played with in the bathtub. It fired two little red torpedoes in the water. Great for launching an attack on a rubber duck. I also remember these anti-slip flower shapes my Mom stuck all over the bottom of the tub. I guess she was going for a groovy 60s Flower Power vibe.

I had one of those subs. Or one close it.

#3055 3 years ago
Quoted from bssbllr:

Boy Scouts anybody? My dad I put the weight in the back of the car not knowing that it would have been better in the front to pull it down I believe. Didn’t fair all that well. But memories I have.
[quoted image]

Pinewood Derby. The memories.

The 1st place trophy is mine. But this car was not mine and did not win anything. This car is a memory holder.

IMG_5282 (resized).JPGIMG_5282 (resized).JPG

I was 9 years old. Lived an a small town that got a Cubs Scouts Chapter up and running. My dad was the laissez fair type who stayed out of my way and let me learn stuff on my own. He got me a Pinewood Derby kit and some hand tools. I remember I got a coping saw, a wood rasp and a couple of other items.

I went to work. I did minimal amount of woodwork to the car body. I rounded off the front corners and made boat tail rear end. Put these two racers together and brush on some white paint and you would be looking at the Pinewood car I built.

Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 9.28.00 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-12-18 at 9.28.00 AM (resized).png

I glued the wheels and the nail axles on with so much clearance that the wheels wobbled. They wobbled a lot. As Pinewood Derby went, mine was ugly. Actually, it was fugly.

The car you see is my childhood best friend's car. His dad had gas station with all of the tools. His dad built this car. It was pretty and the wheels rolled straight. And he added some lead shot to a hole he drilled in the back of the car.

On race night, my mom and his mom took the both of us to the clubhouse for the race. My dad was probably down at the bar with his drinking buddies and my friend's dad was just plain anti-social. So, we were two 9 year old cub scouts and their mom's heading off to the races.

We enter the clubhouse with all of these other people and all of these other cars. It was obvious that most of the scouts' fathers had built their nice slick looking Pinewood Derby cars with their nice two-tone paint jobs. But I built my own. My mom told me to not be disappointed if I did not win anything thing.

Long story short: My ugly little car with the wobbly wheels kicked the asses of all those dad-built cars. I remember watching my car keep destroying car after car on the 2-lane racetrack. I don't remember anything other than that. I do not remember being handed the trophy. The only other thing I remember is that my best friend copped an attitude and would not speak to me on the ride home.

The next year my mom and dad and I moved to the big city 30 miles distant. My friend and I stayed in touch through the years. Once in the city, I made new friends who were into model car kits. And I went that direction. And one day, I thought I would try and clean up the appearance of my ugly little Pinewood Derby car; I wound up destroying a winner. Mom told me that one day I would be sorry I did that.

I kept the cheap plaster of Paris trophy in a box of my stuff that lived in my mom's attic for a long number of years. And eventually my mom's prediction came true. Some where in my late 40s-early 50s I started missing my winning Pinewood Derby car.

A number of years ago, after my friend's dad had died, his mom called the auctioneers to come and sell 40 years worth of accumulation and trash. I drove down to the same town to see what was selling. Laying on one table of auction junk laid my friend's Pinewood Derby car. I am the sentimental type and he is/was not. I mentioned the little car and he asked if I would like to have it. I said "yes".

And this is how I would up with the winning trophy and a losing car.

If I still had my little car I would make a wall display with the car and trophy. As it is, I keep this car and the trophy in a drawer. Some things you cannot get back.

Thanks for the memories.

#3056 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

This one
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Nope. Mine was hand held and I could shoot my torpedoes in the bath tub.

This one is interesting. "Over 7 feet long" and all for $6.98. Plus 75 cents to ship. (I wish I could get those kinds of shipping prices for all of this pinball stuff I have to buy).

"Sturdily constructed of 200 lb. test material..." Which would be ?..... perhaps double-ply cardboard?

93a751b770b0685b4f8bd1c63d379c6cd5e82c49.png (resized).jpg93a751b770b0685b4f8bd1c63d379c6cd5e82c49.png (resized).jpg

Is this it in real life?

7197f9e6b4fbd793300c9f88fa3f44b97529aed5.png (resized).jpg7197f9e6b4fbd793300c9f88fa3f44b97529aed5.png (resized).jpg

#3062 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

The super balls mentioned previously reminded me of when I found a super ball golf ball. Lots of fun.
Until a big guy across the alley with a baseball bat asked to see it. I tossed it to him. He chucks it in the air and smacks it with the bat.
That thing took off. At least a couple blocks away we hear it bouncing between some houses then a large crash of a window breaking. No sense going to look for it.

ROTF LMAO !!!!

#3064 3 years ago
Quoted from bssbllr:

Wow great story and the champion definitely great memories.

Thank you.

The fantasy I have is not my car being displayed on the wall, but rather the fantasy to still have the car and then "here comes grandpa walking into a current Cub Scout Pinewood race and then have the winner of that race do a final race with me. Kind of like, " Undefeated 60 year Champion is present tonight ". That's the dream.

One other thing I sort of recall ( mind could be playing tricks here ) is that in most of the races I was in that night is that there was a lot of space between my car and the other cars as I crossed the finish line.

#3071 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

You think this guy has ever played “Mouse Trap?”

This is insane. That guy actually had to dig out the trench that basket ball rolled down the hill in. He put a lot of hours into that.

I thought the Honda Rube Goldberg commercial was way cool. This guy puts the Honda commercial to shame.

#3087 3 years ago
Quoted from bssbllr:

Shit! My mom wouldn’t even give me a slingshot.

My dad grew up on a farm and used guns at an early age. When I was small he trained me how to handle firearms and how to respect them. When I was 7, he would let me take and my friend his slide action .22 out to a culvert about a half mile from our house. And we would go plink soda cans with .22 caliber shorts.

#3109 3 years ago

Change one letter in the word "Swatch" and the pronunciation of the "a" changes from the "ahh" sound to the "a" sound like if you said "cat".

Take this "I like your Swatch" ad. With the change of one letter, you would be getting kicked out of school . Or maybe getting your face slapped; Or maybe not

Let's change the "w" to an "n".

Like this: "I like your snatch."

373c3c46f5c54e6b4d348a66f5359ccc1405fd54.jpeg (resized).jpg373c3c46f5c54e6b4d348a66f5359ccc1405fd54.jpeg (resized).jpg

I guess I better go get anther cup of coffee.

#3113 3 years ago
Quoted from bssbllr:

Our family friend always had this for me. She might not have added enough powder though. Lol
[quoted image]

Quoted from Mr68:

Tang, the drink of Astronauts!

OK, Tang lovers, everything you search says that Tang hit the marketplace in 1957. What I am dying to know is what was Tang in 1952? Five years earlier than the astronaut Tang?

I was born in 1952. My mom saved the local small town newspaper that included my birth announcement. You can see it is dated May 15, 1952.

Screen Shot 2020-12-20 at 11.38.38 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-12-20 at 11.38.38 AM (resized).png

Here you can the "The class of '52". And you can buy a 5 lb. jar of honey for $1.09.

Screen Shot 2020-12-20 at 11.38.56 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-12-20 at 11.38.56 AM (resized).png

And here is that jar of honey. And fives items lower, below the Santa Fe hominy with 2 cans for 25 cents, you see Tang with a 12 oz. tin selling for 45 cents.

Screen Shot 2020-12-20 at 11.39.18 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-12-20 at 11.39.18 AM (resized).png

So, what I have been trying to figure out for the last few years is this: If Tang for the astronauts did not hit the market until 1957, what is this Tang that is being sold in a 12 oz. tin in 1952?

Does anyone have any idea at all?

#3121 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

[quoted image]

https://www.waywordradio.org/tang-mystery-is-solved/

Mooch, thank you. I have been teasing my brain with this mystery for 10 years. Google "Tang" and all leads to the powdered drink. Add "Cudahy" to the search and all doors open.

Quoted from ghostbc:

Looks like Spam to me.

The article talks about how Tang was supposed to be a competitor to Spam.

#3123 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Breakfast sometimes with Tang meant a few of these, or this.[quoted image][quoted image]

I devoured these. But I wonder if the "perfectly balanced energy snack" would cut the mustard after we found out we were junk food junkies

d6a58bedec93cf5b5c0fc0cdd26de18a6f8e990d.png (resized).jpgd6a58bedec93cf5b5c0fc0cdd26de18a6f8e990d.png (resized).jpg

#3144 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

Anyone ever collect these Top-40 radio station “song surveys” in the 60s and 70s? I grew up in Chicago and had dozens of WLS and WCFL surveys taped all over my bedroom door in high school.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Geez man, talk about a memory bank being unlocked. I think I sung along with the radio to every song in every one of your song surveys.

#3145 3 years ago

I stumbled onto a youtube vid ( isn't that how most YT vids are seen?) of Johnny Carson and Ed McMahon playing with a toy aircraft carrier. The style of the suits being worn are some of that double-knit, ultra wide lapel crap from the early 70s.

this toy looks interesting and looks like it would be a fun challenge. But I never saw one and don't know if it ever hit the commercial market.

Objective: Land the plane on the carrier.

It looks like it would have been a great toy for some barroom betting.

#3176 3 years ago

We have moved from Hot Wheels and Star Wars trinkets to Hondas and Yamahas. ( I used to want a mini-bike so bad. But no money ).

Giving proof to that old saying that the only things that change about boys is the price of their toys

#3180 3 years ago

71XHPkE98hL._AC_SL1000_ (resized).jpg71XHPkE98hL._AC_SL1000_ (resized).jpg

61FKQilTOcL (resized).jpg61FKQilTOcL (resized).jpg

#3232 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

I knew my parents were getting older when this ceramic Christmas tree replaced the real tree.
[quoted image]

Quoted from zombywoof:

My mother did something similar once I was up and out at 18 (I was the youngest).

Quoted from Rezdog:

Yeah I think all parents eventually go ceramic tree and can’t blame them if they do. Nothing is more depressing then taking down a Christmas tree.
[quoted image]

Quoted from bssbllr:

Here is our tree now that are youngest is 20.
[quoted image]

You guys illustrate why young families with little kids are needed. Without the young families, the Christmas tree industry would disappear

#3233 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

Our 1960s pre-remote-control era TVs seemed to have channel tuner knobs that wore out a lot. My family gave those knobs a lot of abuse by constantly changing channels with rapid fire brutality. Eventually, the knob would be screwed up and only tune in a clear picture when it was held by hand in a spot somewhere between the numbered channel positions. For example, Channel 5 was now clear only when the knob was at Channel 5 & 1/2. My Dad would then devise a complex system of rubber bands that held the knob steady in just the right spot, warning us all to not touch it. We’d then be stuck watching that one channel for days until the rubber bands failed.
[quoted image]

Did you lay on the floor about 3 feet away from the TV, with your head propped up in the palm of your hand, while listening to your mom say sitting too close to the TV will ruin your eyes?

Did you try channel surfing when a commercial came on only to find the local TV affiliates conspired to have their commercials all broadcast at the same time and you got was another commercial to sit through?

Do you look at some old show on youtube and find yourself thinking that, at the time, you do not remember them being so fuzzy looking?

#3250 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

Can you remember your very first non-kiddie Rock-n-Roll record that you chose on your own to buy at the store? Mine was a Beatles 45: “All You Need Is Love.” (1967)
[quoted image]

I think my 1st record buy was a song called "Telstar" which I assume was named after Telstar 1 communications satellite. It reached #1 on the charts.

My 2nd record was a tune called "Monster Mash".

The Beatles were another 14-15 months away. I bought the "Meet The Beatles" album when they hit the scene and blew the charts into ribbons.

#3263 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

My first Album. I saved for a Month! I thought it was Ktel, but turns out it was Ronco, of Pocket fisherman fame!
[quoted image]
Summer 1970......

0c6f5996d42051968a162aaa8ae9531cd017c478.png (resized).jpg0c6f5996d42051968a162aaa8ae9531cd017c478.png (resized).jpg

I only ever heard and saw Richie Havens in the movie Woodstock. The Five Stairsteps, as well as Mel & Tim, do not ring a bell. But every other artist had songs on the radio that I would sing along with. For bragging rights, I did get to see Janis Joplin in concert.

#3277 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I have to be completely naked to count to 21.

21? Are you sure that 20 and 1/2 might be a bit of a stretch?

#3278 3 years ago
Quoted from CubeSnake:

My 1st calculator...
[quoted image]

Quoted from mooch:

I remember that thing! My Dad had one of those.
He had one of these “adding machines” too.[quoted image]

OK. I see we are moving from toys to office equipment. .

Keep feeding my memory banks !

#3288 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

Those look just like the codes I have to input on my Alltek MPU boards. Seawitch is 10011010.

#3289 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Shit! Binary! I had no idea how I passed that and Assembler in College.
I didnt get it, was partying way too much, and never went to class.
I guessed on all the answers in the Final Exam, like 10 minutes, ignored the coding example questions, and got a solid B!
Doing this on Punch cards, was a ball buster!

Someone in my COBOL class dropped their box of punch cards that were ready to feed into the mainframe. Everybody seemed to find out how to just drift away.

#3312 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

Any NTN Buzztime trivia players here?
[quoted image]

Brought to you by Coleco.

3c0e1f10f5785cd433b92c98e297a2856ef18854.jpeg (resized).jpg3c0e1f10f5785cd433b92c98e297a2856ef18854.jpeg (resized).jpg

Brought to you by Coleco. Cabbage Patch Kids. 1983. The year adults went nutty trying to get a CPK for their kid. ( A friend found a source for CPKs and put his 6 year old daughter on the phone as his sales rep. That little girl was selling the shit out of these things. ).

cabbage-patch-4 (resized).jpgcabbage-patch-4 (resized).jpg

#3321 3 years ago

We made toys of all sorts of things. Like chasing the mosquito spray truck with our bicycles. It is a wonder I am still alive.

Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 5.16.13 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-12-30 at 5.16.13 PM (resized).png

#3324 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

LMAO! Me too.

Now everybody knows why we have such a high IQ

#3328 3 years ago
Quoted from amxfc3s:

[quoted image]

One of my relatives kids' had one of those fish ponds. I found it to be fun and NOT a slam dunk to play.

#3329 3 years ago

Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 9.25.50 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-12-30 at 9.25.50 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-12-30 at 9.25.16 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-12-30 at 9.25.16 PM (resized).png

#3332 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

[quoted image]

OK. We are going back to school.

Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 9.23.40 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-12-31 at 9.23.40 AM (resized).png

#3334 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

[quoted image]

My 6th grade music teacher had one of those. She was a witch. But I know what a treble clef is

#3350 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

[quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Man, you keep coming up with stuff I forgot about years and years ago.

Like this.

aa36a39547ae381fc50594c8f6c4c80b573cdca5.jpeg (resized).jpgaa36a39547ae381fc50594c8f6c4c80b573cdca5.jpeg (resized).jpg

When I was in third grade, we went on a school field trip. We came to the big city where I have been living for 50 years and toured the Borden milk plant where Elsie the Cow lived.

The two things I remember from that tour is that there was 1/2" of water on the floor by design to support plant cleanliness. The water was there to keep the dust down. The other thing was at the end of day, all of the pipes that flowed the milk were taken apart and thoroughly cleaned ( I imagine there were some oversize brushes employed to ream the pipes) of any residual milk that would be clinging to the pipes.

#3351 3 years ago

Someone's '62 Chevy is missing its cigarette lighter.

80b48c082ea7bb94f54cf5fb9b1f9b386e6693e1.jpeg (resized).jpg80b48c082ea7bb94f54cf5fb9b1f9b386e6693e1.jpeg (resized).jpg

Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 11.02.58 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-01-01 at 11.02.58 AM (resized).png

#3352 3 years ago

These were in my mom's silverware drawer since I can remember. I used to play with these a lot, but the connotations went way over my 5 year old brain. No big deal was ever made about my using them to crack nuts with.

I don't know how my parents wound up with these. They look home made, but they are made from a casting as you can see casting marks on her heels ( the cast marks do not photograph well).

The only thing I can think of is that my mom worked in an airplane parts factory during WW II and perhaps an aluminum/casting mechanic made them on the side.

IMG_5345 (resized).JPGIMG_5345 (resized).JPG

IMG_5346 (resized).JPGIMG_5346 (resized).JPG

IMG_5347 (resized).JPGIMG_5347 (resized).JPG

#3358 3 years ago
Quoted from mof:

what are they?

The slang term is "paper assholes". They are reinforcement rings for 3-ring binder paper hole blow outs.

#3359 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

In the 60's I worked at a fast food joint for 18 months. During that period of time, I worked for 9 or 10 different managers. One new boss came in and brought all of the ashtrays off the tables and started breaking off a corner each ash tray by hammering it against the terra cotta floor.

I asked him what he was doing. He said people will not steal a broken ash tray. And we never lost another ash tray after that.

#3360 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

A friend of mine had a jumbo box of those. He had it open and was staring at it.
I smacked the bottom of his hand as hard as I could. It looked like it was snowing in the class room.
[quoted image]

Lloyd, was this your version of pick up sticks.

#3362 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

It sure peeked the girls curiosity.

Ah, that's "piqued" Lloyd. And if she asked for your shoe size you can figure she is interested

#3388 3 years ago

b208b9b3a568d9cc1cd6dd32357ed0517e3103c1.png (resized).jpgb208b9b3a568d9cc1cd6dd32357ed0517e3103c1.png (resized).jpg

Repackaged and renamed for the 21st Century.

Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 5.44.12 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-01-02 at 5.44.12 PM (resized).png

#3389 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

BTW. I was that pain in the ass kid that always had questions and adult answers only caused more questions. I hate those kids.

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

They must have loved you at Sunday School!
I am like that, and still get kicked out![quoted image]

This behavior is not appreciated by instructors and supervisors in the corporate world. But I didn't care

I had a super tell me that I should not be "doing that". I asked him why. He knew he got caught with his pants down. He pawed the floor like a bull looking at the matador. And then gave me some horse shit of an answer, left the hanger, and I got back to work.

#3390 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

Speaking of toothpaste, who remembers the girl licking her teeth in this mid-70s Pearl Drops commercial?

Ah, what was that, again?

I have not seen PD on the shelves for years. I got these off of Ebay and they shipped in from the UK.

You can now buy them from Amazon and Walmart.com. But Walmart does not stock it on the shelves.

IMG_5357 (resized).JPGIMG_5357 (resized).JPG
#3398 3 years ago

Anybody ever have those little animals that were held together by string? When you push the bottom of the base, the little figure collapses.

s-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpg

#3402 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

This hung in every home I went into in the late 70s. Thought it was like some kinda parent cult thing going on.
[quoted image]

I had calendar that had all those pictures. Sometime around 1979-80. Or 81.

#3405 3 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

This gave me a flashback to having wasted money once buying the "Ultimate Solution to the Rubik's Cube," which came sealed in an envelope.
Open the envelope, there's a bunch of stickers you're supposed to stick over the original stickers. There, you solved it!?
I hope the perpetrators of that scam are rotting in hell.

Drink_y__r_Ova_t_n_

#3410 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

Thought the future had arrived when I first flipped this over to side 2
[quoted image]

Didn't take a lot to wow us back then, did it?

#3431 3 years ago

Anybody ever think they could draw good enough send these charlatans any money? When I was young I did not realize this as the scam it was. I wonder if anybody ever won any of the prizes.

I'm betting the prizes were something like the guy at the state fair midway who would guess your weight or age for a dollar. If he guessed wrong, you would get a small stuffed toy that cost him 10 cents.

" Just draw the pirate and send your drawing along with $2.95 for shipping and handling and our team of artists will review your drawing. You might just win a prize."

Unknown-3 (resized).jpegUnknown-3 (resized).jpeg

Unknown-2 (resized).jpegUnknown-2 (resized).jpeg

#3437 3 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

Those correspondence school ads have been around a long time. I have one my dad drew back in the 30s somewhere around here. While looking for it, I came across this little product of my warped 7th grade mind.
[quoted image]

Not a bad drawing of an F-86. I think I would replace " warped 7th grade mind" with "profane 7th grade mind". .

#3440 3 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

Here are a few relics from the kitchen:
The Caped Crusaders.
[quoted image]
1977 Burger King Star Wars tie in.
[quoted image]
Scooby's a little worse for wear.
[quoted image]
And the old Shakey's mug with the glass bottom.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I had the Darth Vader glass. He went on to glass heaven decades ago.

I miss Shakey's.

#3450 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

The oldest artifact in my kitchen is this old wore out Tupperware drinking cup by the sink. My Mom bought it at a Tupperware sales party in the late 1950s around the time I was born. It sat by our kitchen sink the whole time I was growing up, wherever we lived. My Mom still had it by the sink when she passed 7 years ago. And there it sits by my sink today.
[quoted image]

That's your memory maker, ain't it? I still have the shower brush my mom bought from the Fuller Brush man (remember him?) when I was 5 years old. That FB guy had all kinds of goodies in his sales case. I have always been terrified of spiders; While the FB guy was showing his wares I look up and saw one of those small black jumping spiders on the wall to which I gave out a yell. That old boy reached int this box of tricks, pulled out a can of bug spat. One spritz and the spider was gone. I don't know what all my mom bought that day, but I still have the brush 63 years later and it is still in like new condition.

#3454 3 years ago

Some toys for your car? Remember when J.C. Whitney had it all? It did not matter what it was. If you wanted something for your car, JC was the go-to shop.

Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 10.59.52 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-01-06 at 10.59.52 AM (resized).png

#3455 3 years ago
Quoted from onemoresean:

I loved reading about the future.
I’ve had this magazine forever.

You gotta love that astronaut suit.

#3460 3 years ago
Quoted from ghostbc:

I wanted tv dinners so bad , until i had one!

I loved those Swanson Chicken TV dinners. The short version was just chicken and mashed potatoes.

And don't forget the fish sticks.

#3484 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

As far as I'm concerned, duplicate postings are welcome. Everyone should enjoy this thread as it flows and not have to worry about researching it before posting something.
And for the record, I just recently realized that I've duplicate posted my own stuff. - The mind is the first thing to go, right?

No. Thinning hair and double chins come on first . That is your signal the mind is on the down hill slide .

Hell, I get to watching youtube and think I would like to check out something else. And by the time I get the search box open I have forgotten what I was going to look for

#3490 3 years ago

I have had this little tractor since I was 5 Y.O. I never knew what it was but have seen a couple of pics in collector mags saying it had some value. I just found one for sale on some website. The website seems to think it is worth $85.00. This ad said it is a Matchbox product. OK, if you say so; I'm like, here, "sell mine. I can use the money".

IMG_5382 (resized).JPGIMG_5382 (resized).JPG

Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 2.27.10 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-01-07 at 2.27.10 PM (resized).png

I am impressed with the quality. The Massey-Harris name/badge is readable.

IMG_5388 (resized).JPGIMG_5388 (resized).JPG
#3491 3 years ago

I don't have much of the toys and other things from when I was a kid. But I still have my EL Cheapo Switchblade knife.

I got that from a guy in my church group went to Mexico. I did not want to go and I asked one of the guys that was going if he would mind bringing me a switchblade knife. It is a cheap blade but it works.

The little beaded cow I somehow got from the kid next door. It has been sown to the vertebra from a cow.

IMG_5390 (resized).JPGIMG_5390 (resized).JPG

IMG_5392 (resized).JPGIMG_5392 (resized).JPG
IMG_5391 (resized).JPGIMG_5391 (resized).JPG

And I have my hospital bracelet that my mom hung onto.

IMG_5393 (resized).JPGIMG_5393 (resized).JPG

#3493 3 years ago
Quoted from onemoresean:

I’ve had this Avon cologne since I was 9.
I put it on once, that’s how nice it smells.
[quoted image]

I don't know how old you are but in the early to mid-70s, Avon bottles were super hot and selling for big bucks. The 70s equivalent of Beanie Babies, I suppose. And then the Avon market crashed as people figured out they were a dime a dozen. Just like the market for Jim Beam bottles took of for the moon and turned around and cratered.

#3497 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

[quoted image]

I had forgot all about Honey West.

#3498 3 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

My grandmother was an Avon Lady. Christmas gifts were always cologne, or worse, soap on a rope. Ughhh.
[quoted image]

1) Some guys see a market for something that does not yet exist and make a product to fill the need.

2) Other guys cook something up and try to find sort of market to unload into.

Soap on a Rope had to have been a #2.

#3516 3 years ago

If you owned a Volkswagen Beetle in the 60s and your hood emblem was missing it was probably in a drawer of a kid that lived down the street from me. He was thieving little bastard and had a drawer full of these.

They were only held in place by two long pieces of soft metal bracket that was mounted into two slots in the hood and then bent over to hold the emblem in place. A little twist with a screwdriver and they came right out.

images-4 (resized).jpegimages-4 (resized).jpeg
images-2 (resized).jpegimages-2 (resized).jpeg

images-5 (resized).jpegimages-5 (resized).jpeg

#3518 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

If you owned a Volkswagen Beetle in the 60s and your hood emblem was missing it was probably in a drawer of a kid that lived down the street from me. He was thieving little bastard and had a drawer full of these.
They were only held in place by two long pieces of soft metal bracket that was mounted into two slots in the hood and then bent over to hold the emblem in place. A little twist with a screwdriver and they came right out.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Ooooh. 4 upvotes. Did I draw out all of the teenage vandals here?

#3519 3 years ago
Quoted from onemoresean:

I love those old VW crests, I still have a couple of them!
I used to restore VW’s in the 80’s, and I have a parts collection that I’ve recently been selling off.
Here’s a pic from around 1985
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I know a tail light when I see one But what are those long yellow things?

#3523 3 years ago
Quoted from onemoresean:

They are semaphore turn signals.[quoted image]

I never saw those before on any VeeDub of any year. Are these for Germany or Europe only.

How do they operate? Do they activate with the turn signal switch?

#3537 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I could never get the rim of my glass to make that high pitched sound like my friends could. Determined one day to make it work, I kept trying and trying. I still couldn't hear any sound from the glass but suddenly my mother completely lost her shit, grabbed my wrist and went off on me yelling, STOP IT! JUST STOP IT![quoted image]

You should have told her that Ben Franklin was your mentor and that you were building a glass armonica because it was safer than flying a kite in the wind.

Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 7.07.24 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-01-11 at 7.07.24 PM (resized).png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=eEKlRUvk9zc

#3571 3 years ago

Many of you still have your childhood toys. Too many moves when I was a kid cleaned out my toy box.

I still have my dad's shoe shone box, though. But I'm retired, don't work in an office, and have not been to church in years. I used to wear New Balance shoes and gave to those up for Walmart cheapies. It sits here collecting dust. I should get rid of it.

IMG_5401 (resized).JPGIMG_5401 (resized).JPGIMG_5402 (resized).JPGIMG_5402 (resized).JPG
#3572 3 years ago

Not really a toy but if you were a kid who liked to play with your food it might qualify as a toy

91R8gmknbCL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg91R8gmknbCL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg

I was in 6th grade when a sample box of CC came in the mail in 1963. CC arrived when Elvis was still King. It must have been summer time. I recall the weather being nice. The Beatles were still a few months away.

And I recall falling in love with CC. I remember the sample size box said that Captain Crunch would be made for 1,000,000,000,000,000 and on and on for entire small page of the ad flyer that was in the box. It was a lot of zeros.

#3585 3 years ago
Quoted from pinworthy:

No but I keep a basket next to the throne... does that count?
[quoted image]

How many laps are there in the Toilet Bowl ? Is this the Toliet Bowl 500 or 400?

#3587 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I Threw In some Baseball cards...Shouldnt have put a Mickey Mantle in there, Some silver coins, like Lloyd,
Pictures of my family and Dog, A love letter from my Girlfriend then....Her dad was on Oak Island with Kellyco,
and I note about me.
The Hollow under a tree, was dug by a wild rabbit, that had lived and nested there.
Concrete got poured over it later...
Capn Chest went in a clear box, and that went into metal box and duct tapped to hell.

A rabbit hole in a tree hollow? Concrete poured over the top.

That M.Mantle card might be down there just waiting for you to go dig it up. Maybe it will have a better fate than the '58 Plymouth Fury that Oklahoma placed in its time capsule.

Just think. You might could get rich

#3595 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

The Cap’n Crunch treasure chest might be worth more than the Mickey Mantle card. [quoted image]

Well hell, I'm reading how OLDPINGUY wrapped everything up. That CC chest might still be in pristine condition, too.

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Capn Chest went in a clear box, and that went into metal box and duct tapped to hell.

OLDPINGUY might make enough to make the digging worth while. It all depends on how much concrete was poured and how deep he buried the treasure. It would defiantly be a story for the grandkids.

Better yet, make them a treasure map and get out of their way

#3600 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

Ever see an electric “smoking stand?” I saw one in the living room of my uncle’s Wisconsin farmhouse in the early 1960s when I was a little kid. It looked old even then. I remember trying figure out what the heck the electric ceramic thing on the top was, but I was afraid to ask anyone about it after messing with it. I found out decades later that the top has two ashtrays, a canister for your smokes and a really cool electric lighter held in a ceramic housing. Pretty neat gizmo for the time.

Those are Art Deco designs from the 30s. They are beautiful.

#3601 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

Here’s a perfect balanced menu for a day in the 60s.
[quoted image]

Yes. But they are fortified with vitamins. You should look at all the vitamins packed into Captain Crunch. I think they follow right after sugar in the ingredients list

#3609 3 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Which reminded me of the four Playboy Playmate collectible figures I have - all still NIB.
(Please excuse me for not removing the protective materials.)
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
I have collected a lot of Playboy stuff. I don't have the first nine issues of the magazine (before the Playmate became a fold-out), but I do have every issue from then on until printed publication ended.

At one time the Playboy Femlins were advertised in the back pages of the magazine. For something like $1.95 each.

Now $700.00- $880.00 0n Ebay. They would make great toppers for a Playboy pin.

#3610 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

the treasure chest reminded me of my Playboy starter kit ...the Sears catalog.

Here, you take the toys pages. I'll take the underwear pages.

#3637 3 years ago

michelin-man_edited-1-383x511 (resized).jpgmichelin-man_edited-1-383x511 (resized).jpgUnknown-3 (resized).jpegUnknown-3 (resized).jpegUnknown-2 (resized).jpegUnknown-2 (resized).jpegScreen Shot 2021-01-17 at 9.03.10 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-01-17 at 9.03.10 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-01-17 at 9.00.22 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-01-17 at 9.00.22 PM (resized).png390950.bin (resized).jpeg390950.bin (resized).jpeg

#3640 3 years ago

I was thinking about CB radios last night and the only reason CBs became a nationwide phenom being sold by every store in the country was because Pres. Nixon lowered speed limits to 55 mph.

They helped drivers stay ahead of the cops.

That’s a Big 10-4

#3656 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

I had this very same little rock and mineral collection when I was a kid. Got it from some museum or gift shop somewhere. I stared with wonder at each amazing little piece. Gold! Uranium! Volcanic Rock!
[quoted image]

Every time you post something it is like you are turning another page in my mind.

#3658 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I loved those snakes. I like that part on the label that says "use under adult supervision". Me and my friends said BS to that. Light'em up

#3665 3 years ago

I saw those boxes of rocks but never got one.

The rock on the left my grandfather gave to me. He found in his drive after he had a load of driveway gravel brought in. He milked cows for a living and called it a Holstein Rock and it put a big smile on his face when he handed to me; That was in 1966, 55 years ago.

The one on the right was given to me by my mother. She called in a potato rock. I don't know where she found it. I don't have any, or very very few, of my childhood toys but I still have these rocks. I display them in the shadowbox on my wall. For the memories.

IMG_5452 (resized).JPGIMG_5452 (resized).JPG

#3671 3 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

So you had a Pet Rock collectible well before advertising executive Gary Dahl started marketing them in 1975..

I would be petrified with fear of touching it in case it were to hatch.

Shame. Shame. You should have put up a picture for the whippersnappers are hanging here and trying to act old so they will know what you are talking about

pet-rock-3d-model-max-obj-fbx-mtl (resized).jpgpet-rock-3d-model-max-obj-fbx-mtl (resized).jpg

Wow. The guy walked away with $15 mil in 6 months.

Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 10.37.37 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-01-23 at 10.37.37 PM (resized).png

#3712 3 years ago

These 4 were my musical heroes. I read somewhere George C. Scott called them 4 little punks. I was not too happy with hearing that.

But now that I am closer to the end of life instead of the beginning of life, they look like 4 little punks

696c24085e57f2bdb20d73cf257afb88a159e65c (resized).jpg696c24085e57f2bdb20d73cf257afb88a159e65c (resized).jpg

#3727 3 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

They did indeed! Here's a couple I remember (They weren't local, so I never actually got any of them).
The ARCO arc:
[quoted image]
Sinclair dinosaurs:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Quoted from mooch:

Phillips 66 sold a toy yacht in the mid-60s.

I still have trouble wrapping my head around going into an antique store and the shelves are filled with plastic stuff. It just don't seem right.

#3739 3 years ago
Quoted from bssbllr:

Not a toy but I remember these.
[quoted image]

Ah well hell, You need one of these, too

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg

I stood in line for 2 hours to see Jaws in 1974. But I was too old for toys and I do not remember seeing this.

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 9.08.50 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-02-01 at 9.08.50 PM (resized).png

#3751 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

[quoted image]

When I was a kid, we moved to a different house and a drive in was right in our back yard. Actually, an entire block of houses were on the opposite side of the drive-in parking lot. There was about a 30 foot width of open land between the backyard fences and the drive-in fence. So all of us locals found a good place to sit, talk, watch the movie and participate in under-age drinking.

Then some one unwound one of the wires of the chain link fence and made an opening we could walk through. So, we would walk up and patronize the snack bar and sometimes sit on the park benches up front and watch the movie.

Since it was just a few local kids and the drive-in did not own the no-mans land , the drive-in left the opening alone and sold a few snack bar goodies.

Many adolescent romances were started and ended.

We had many good times sitting out there.

#3775 3 years ago

I'd like to know the solutions to some of those old tricks, too.

#3781 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

I remember this particular wooden name tag pin, found among the souvenirs at gift shops in the 60s. Each was inscribed with one of several common first names. My sister Lorrie was pissed since she was the only one in our family with a name not found on any of these pins. Later, there were racks of personalized pens, toothbrushes, stickers, mini license plates, etc. But I think these wooden name tags came first. This is the only image of one I could find with Google. Might’ve been a local Midwestern item.
[quoted image]

Some of the finest product to ever leave the shelves of a tourist trap. Right next to the box full of Mexican jumping beans

#3785 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I used to sell these little critters are James Strates Florida State Fair.
I was literally standing on a soap box, and demonstrating, while another collected the money.
Nothing like Carnival Barker Experience!
I also sold Pachinko Machines, Floor Cleaner, Water Insoles, and an Occasional Barker at the Freak Show.[quoted image][quoted image]

Were you also one of those guys who would guess my weight for a dollar---and if you were wrong you would give me a small trinket that costed you 10 cents

I remember the banners to the freak show. Lobster Boy, Popeye, the Tattooed Lady, the Lion Man with hair from head-to-toe. One year, there was The Giant who was something like 7 feet tall (from Norway I think); I bought one of his replica finger rings that you could slip a half-dollar through.

Do you remember watching that mouse carousel gambling game that handed out cartons of Camels and Pall Malls win someone "won"?

I took me a long time to get the right words to locate this on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=ZG9ZBWiV3k4

#3790 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I took a few hours of filling in at weight guessing. I had made friends with a girl my age, whose family ran a bunch of games
so trying my hand at playing an announcing came with it.

Oh, the "love me love my dog" thing

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Next was win a goldfish, with a ping pong ball. Poor fish, I remember the Trash bins filled with bags of dead fish, as they were
carried for hours in the hot sun.

I, too, feel sorry for the animals that are used as pawns. From a couple of years ago, it was hermit crabs given out as prizes. Before being given out to someone who couldn't care less about animal husbandry, the crabs were baking in the sun.

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Last were the cranes, and Dale Parker is still doing them with his children. A Codgy old man, he has hundreds of them still at his property in Florida. He shared with me tricks including gluing down valuable prizes, or setting the swing range on the old ones.

No wonder I could never grab that "whatever" sitting in the corner.

But the worst was to get beaten at tic-tac-toe by the chicken in the farm and ranch section. That little feathered bastard could play a mean game of tic-tac-toe to get his kernel of corn.

#3793 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

I remember seeing that rat roulette game at a church carnival in Chicago in the early 70s. The game I saw used a smaller mouse. The big square booth was loaded with excited loud players. And yes it was to win a carton of cigarettes for betting a quarter. Looks like each color appears on the wheel twice, making the odds to win 1/24. Just think how many cigarette cartons they must’ve had in that booth! I think a carton of smokes was only $3 back then. 24 x 25 cents is $6. Play on folks!

Cheap entertainment

That is exactly like the mouse wheel I remember seeing except IIRC correctly it was something like 8 colors going around the wheel, which are better odds than that pocket cleaner you posted. The mouse holes were in groups of 3 with a catch box underneath. The operator had a flat fitted piece of metal he would place over the catch box and remove it while replacing it with the empty catch box he had in his hand. Place your bets, spin the wheel, pay attention to which hole the mouse crawled into, cover and retrieve the new live catch box and set it on the surface of the wheel and cover the bets. Then rinse, wash, repeat.

I first saw it in the 60s and smokes were 25 cents per pack. I cannot say with any certainty, but I think Kansas gambling laws would not allow money betting. I think you had to buy some smokes to get started. I do recall seeing some guys with several cartons of Camels or Pall Malls on their area of the betting table. I was too young to play; Imagine a carnival abiding by the law

I think cigarettes moved to 35 cents per pack by 1970. But in 1971, the military sent me to Texas and cigarettes were 55 cents per pack ! Oh, the outrage. 55 cents a pack. Get outta here !

#3802 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

A special kind of self-torture is to remember the melody of an instrumental oldie that you can’t identify. It plays over and over in your head. So familiar... but what is it? No lyrics to help you out. That happened to me last night. I hummed the tune to my wife. She said she’d heard it before but didn’t know the title. Ugh. The new Google app to find songs by humming didn’t help. But thank goodness I can search online for lists of instrumental songs and listen to them until the title is finally uncovered. The elusive tune from last night was “Wheels” by The String-A-Longs.

One song title that eluded me for years in the pre-internet era was “Soul Coaxing” by Raymond Lefevre. Try humming that to somebody...

I do not recall ever hearing the first song, but it sounds 60s, perhaps early 60s.

The 2nd song I have not heard for years and used to hum along when it played---on the radio?

#3803 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I quit when I was 19 or 20 years old and it is still one of the smartest things I've ever done in my life. Best I can recall a pack was around .60 or .70 cents back then.
Out of curiosity I just Googled for current prices and found this:
"According to the National Cancer Institute, the average cost of a pack of cigarettes is $6.28"
And just tonight a friend told me a pack is running about 8 bucks in our area. Yikes

It took me 46 years to put them away. That was is 2013. I vaped my way out of them. It took 3 months. I learned a lot about nicotine during that 3 months.

It is rather sad when you look back and think quitting smoking was a great accomplishment in your life.

I saw people paying $8.00/pack in Arizona a couple of years ago. Can you imagine being a 2 pack a day man at $8.00 per ?

#3804 3 years ago

Save your Land O Lakes butter boxes. The girl is going away.

Out with the old.

In with the new

Unknown-3 (resized).jpegUnknown-3 (resized).jpeg

#3806 3 years ago

Your post reminded me of something a customer showed me years ago.

IMG_5568 (resized).JPGIMG_5568 (resized).JPG

Cut 3 sides of the box of butter and fold it back.

IMG_5569 (resized).JPGIMG_5569 (resized).JPG

Then you have to do some creative folding of the paper.

IMG_5570 (resized).JPGIMG_5570 (resized).JPG

IMG_5573 (resized).JPGIMG_5573 (resized).JPG

And you have a new picture. It is all about the perspective.

It is fun reliving my younger self

IMG_5572 (resized).JPGIMG_5572 (resized).JPG

#3809 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

LOL. You beat me to it.

Great minds think alike

#3810 3 years ago

Memories keep floating to the top. When I was a kid, my dad had a Ford dealership in a small town. In 1957, a white '57 T-bird pedal car showed up. I got to ride it for a little bit, but then it was given away in a free drawing.

It was like this one only it was white. And it had a bicycle type pedal and chain drive. I was 5 at the time. I don't know why I remember the chain drive instead of the usual back-and-forth pedals.

My dad also had an 8mm movie camera. When I was reviewing all of his old 1950s films I found a few frames with me riding that car.

3185324851_61462a0479 (resized).jpg3185324851_61462a0479 (resized).jpg

#3819 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

I know that tune! That song is a cover version of “The Disadvantages Of You,” which was used in an old Benson & Hedges cigarette commercial.

Like looking at my old pictures with real long hair and now thinking how stupid I looked, I see these cigarette commercials and think they are so gd stupid, I'm like how did I ever think lighting up was cool.

#3821 3 years ago

How many remember the 1st time you bought a sandwich from a sliding window? Mine was about 1966 at one of the the restaurant and service centers on the Kansas Turnpike.

1960 (resized).jpg1960 (resized).jpg

59fcd63f01ec7.image (resized).jpg59fcd63f01ec7.image (resized).jpg

https://www.phillytrib.com/lifestyle/back-in-the-day-horn-hardart-the-original-fast-food/article_03b91aea-b0ab-5ec0-a108-5a25bd1224ea.html

#3827 3 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Since you are all here and have such good taste, I need to ask a question.
When I was a kid in the seventies I got a kind of magic treasure box. It was, as I recall a treasure/magic box toy. It contained other things inside the cardboard box that was printed like a treasure chest and made out of cardboard.
Every time I try to find this online it brings up magic boxes. (Not the right vintage toy)
Anyways, maybe I will get lucky and one of you know what I am talking about.
Thanks.

Long John Silver's perhaps?
s-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpg

sorry, you said cardboard.

This one?

ljs-treasure-chest (resized).jpgljs-treasure-chest (resized).jpg

#3829 3 years ago

Points if you remember what these used to be called. Before we started eating "healthy". The contents have not changed. They just changed the name. And when this kind of stuff did not pass the calorie police a few years ago, instead of changing the recipe, where they used to say 1 cup for your daily requirements, 1 cup was changed to 3/4 cup for your daily needs. And of course, instead of changing the price, they just made the box smaller.

You pay the same amount for less product and are told to eat a smaller serving so the box will still last you for a week. And, like magic, you are not supposed to notice the difference.

I believe some of you were into magic a few posts ago. You should study corporate sleight of hand maneuvers.

IMG_5599 (resized).JPGIMG_5599 (resized).JPG

#3832 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

LTG : )[quoted image]

points to LTG.

#3833 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

Remember when Snack Pack pudding came in a metal can?
[quoted image]

No. I did not know what else Hunt's made except for Ketchup, ketchup that always won the race because.....let's hear it....Heinz.........

#3842 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

Hunt’s makes Manwich!
Sloppy Joe! Sloppy Joe!

Manwich. It just did not register. I remember a little bit about it on TV, I guess. And I have had a lot of sloppy Joe's, but always from hamburger and the other items added in; Home cooking, you know.

#3845 3 years ago

I had one of these. Forgot all about it until l stumbled onto something on youtube about shrunken heads.

IMG_5634 (resized).JPGIMG_5634 (resized).JPG

#3849 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

I was a sucker for Butter Rum and Clove. Actually, I guess I was sucker for all of them

And since you brought those up.... Now you can buy 3 packs on Ebay for $7.95. I'll pass but I always keep my open for the one time a year the company puts them up for sale. Chasing these is worse than chasing a pinball machine.

Gimme some Clove !

Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 5.10.09 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-02-11 at 5.10.09 PM (resized).png

#3852 3 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Man I miss the word “Genuine”. Used so often years ago but never today

The ad does say "genuine looking". Key word: looking.

Mine was genuine rubber

That is kind of like a tube of toothpaste that advertises it will make your teeth whiter; Never white; Always the comparative whiter. I used to believe those toothpaste boxes. Now, after experiencing years of the corporate "bend you over" advertising, I ask "whiter than what"? My brown necktie

And who can forget, " D--nk_you__O_a__in_. ?

I'm a jaded old fart. The economy needs dumb kids to sell its trash to; I bought my creme puff years and years ago. One of those was enough

#3853 3 years ago
Quoted from Indypin:

Loved the tangerine flavor. Never tried or heard of the chocolate flavor ones. Dang it!

I had the Chock-o-Mints. Good stuff.

#3858 3 years ago
Quoted from pindel:

One is the family in 1970. The other is from home movies around 1965.

Look at the blonde finish on that stereo cabinet that looks like it predates The Beatles.

P.S. I see you are playing Operation, too. But that blonde finish blinded me

#3861 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Some click bait photos of the past.....I havent seen.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I would have like to have been the leopard wrapped around Phoebe

#3874 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

I remember those Kraml milk commercials!
Here’s another Chicago-area memory: Each year for Back to School season, Jays Potato Chips put a free pencil in each box of chips. These pencils were everywhere. Everybody seemed to have one.

Quoted from pinwiztom:

chips (in a box) from my childhood in Midwest,
they probably still make these don't they.[quoted image]

Quoted from mooch:

My favorite Chicagoland potato chips were Yo-Ho brand. Good old tasty trans-fat flavor. Haven’t seen them for 20 years.
[quoted image]

I have never ever seen potato chips in boxes. They were always in air pressure filled bags that said, " your chips are packaged by weight and not volume".

#3876 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codd-neck_bottle
This is so cool to find out about. Thanks!!

Agreed. Way cool !

Also, my GF has a 5 gallon bucket of glass insulators like you pictured; No big deal. But my aunt had one that had ears on it like Mickey Mouse ears. I never saw another one.

So, I google "telephone pole insulators" and see all kinds of styles that I never knew existed. There are some neat looking insulators in peoples' collections.

https://www.google.com/search?q=glass+telephone+insulators&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS894US894&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjUp6TYqOXuAhUODKwKHXRDDIEQ_AUoAnoECBcQBA&biw=1189&bih=887#imgrc=umxIQnbl_Sh44M

These make me think of Aunt Clara's door knob collection on TV show Bewitched.

https://www.google.com/search?q=aunt+clara+door+knob+collection&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS894US894&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjIxJipquXuAhWPG80KHdIuCF0Q_AUoAnoECBEQBA&biw=1189&bih=887

#3882 3 years ago
Quoted from JayDee:

[quoted image]

That's it. Only my aunt's was clear.

#3883 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

I remember when potato chips came in metal cans in the early 60s. Saltine crackers, too.[quoted image][quoted image]

I have seen those Premium Saltine cans in antique stores only.

#3899 3 years ago
Quoted from JayDee:

I don’t know shit from shinola

Do you know shit from apple butter?

#3900 3 years ago
Quoted from DCP:

I remember having a Kit-Kat Clock in our house when I was very young...like 2 years old. I think it was my Mom's. I remember being scared of it and not wanting it in my room! LOL

One of my aunts had a cat clock. I was always fascinated by it.

#3906 3 years ago
Quoted from BigalzPinz:

Had this game when I was young, played it twice , then it never worked after that , Mom took it back and got me a shirt ...got good use out of the shirt , but always remembered how cool that game was,,,, now in my 50’s , I have the game and it works perfectly ! The family plays it every Christmas, and the younger kids even love it !!
[quoted image]

One memory begats another. I had this little King Tut magnet toy. If you tapped the head of sarcophagus, the internal magnet would push King Tut out of his sarcophagus and if you tapped the feet he would stay put. There was nothing to it at all, but I remember I played with it a lot.

#3915 3 years ago

Also, since we're on the subject of scary records, I wore this one OUT as a kid. Still have it.
[quoted image]

It wasn't a scary record but it sure had a wide following. 1962. Predated The Beatles. I had copy and played the crap out of it.

#3939 3 years ago

I remember seeing these around a lot in the 70's
[quoted image]

Quoted from HFK:

Avon was huge in the 70s. I think it was brought up way back here but I don't remember those car cologne bottles being posting but definitely remember them.

Oh, people were going nuts for Avon bottles. And then the market crashed.

Same thing with booze bottles, Jim Beam bottles. There must have been a bottle made to commemorate about anything that could be thought of. There were bottles for each state; bottles of political themes; every animal in North America seemed to be commemorated with a bottle; bottles looked liked cars. And then the market for booze bottles crashed. The word "rare" and Jim Beam bottles were on opposite sides of the coin.

My uncle, who liked his booze had a bar in his basement with an entire wall of Jim Beam bottles behind the bar. He would brag how much they were worth. And when it came time to sell, he employed an auctioneer. But he was too late. The market had crashed way before he was ready to sell. And now JB bottles that had sold for hundreds of dollars fell back to earth and could be bought for $3-$4 each.

images-1 (resized).jpegimages-1 (resized).jpeg

#3941 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

A friend of mine told me how his mother collected plates and promised he would inherit them and their worth when she died.
Privately he told me the only thing he was going to do was eat spaghetti off of them. LOL
[quoted image]

Ah yes, plates. Those tourist trap plates...some of them are not safe to eat from. Sort of like plastic grocery bags, they are a single use item.

My dad loaded up on those Bradford Exchange plates. And every month Bradford would send him a booklet showing how much they were worth. And always an offer to keep buying more of them. They clearly were not worth the paper their prices were printed on.

1,119 posts in this topic match your search for posts by cottonm4. You are on page 1 of 5.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-were-your-favorite-childhood-toys?tu=cottonm4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.