BagofGlass (resized).jpg
434599499_10228561822663909_2493513439072746909_n (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2024-03-30 at 7.43.04 PM (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Big Chief pad (resized).png
stfu.gif
speedy-gonzales-movie-donald-trump (resized).jpg
IMG_4109 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Saltimbanco.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7548 2 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

I remember getting super excited over this 1969 Sunday Comics ad for a free Green Giant kite. I pestered my Mom into buying a bunch of Green Giant stuff, then mailed in the labels as instructed. I was thrilled when that kite showed up!
[quoted image][quoted image]

I do remember this Star Trek Spock kite (in fact, very similar to Green Giant, lol) being passed down to me. I lost it the very first time I flew it. My bad, I let it take the full 500ft spindle but didn't know it was not tied to the handle. It went crazy fast up until I lost sight, never saw it again. That thing did have warp engines!

Spock_kite__03199.1607226974.386.513 (resized).pngSpock_kite__03199.1607226974.386.513 (resized).png
#7562 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Someone on Ebay thinks his box kite is worth $50.00

Well, that's interesting! An ephemera made of paper and flimsy wooden sticks is something that would attract collectors. From the looks of it, kind of depicts print of a Mercury rocket. Not saying it's worth $50, but whatever's made of paper is not supposed to last long and is difficult to keep from yellowing, color fade, etc. So, yeah, it's going to be worth anything a collector is willing to pay for it!

Those boxed things were great flyers, not high flyers, but very stable! Fun stuff, I think I'll take a kite out this weekend! Will probably launch a few Estes rockets I must still have in some box

#7563 2 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

When I was a kid
my friends and I would have kite fights
and outfit our kites with all sorts of weaponry,
like razor blades and barbed wire or hooks
or even contraptions that if activated might drop bombs like eggs,
or firecrackers with extra long fuses for attempted kamikaze missions, etc.
NOTE: Not many of our contraption ideas were practical or effective.

I attached a small flare, a battery and some wiring to launch my attacks. It's funny how fast a cheap plastic kite will melt! Obviously, nothing ever worked as planned!

#7567 2 years ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

I had a kite like this one but could never get it to fly. Wish I would have saved it in the plastic and got this price for it.
$60.00 Canadian $47.52 US
[quoted image]

Yup, I can attest to the fact that thing did not fly!! Damn cool thou, but would get deflated pretty fast.

#7568 2 years ago

One of my favorites! Two feet long, sturdy! It was incredible! The one I had as a kid, I unfortunately burned holes in it (and throu the carpet) while trying to do a homemade SciFi flick to enter some contest.

See, I had positioned the 'Eagle' vertically on transparent wires, and figured that melting plastic drops would film like they were photon torpedoes, or something like that.. melting plastic does look like a photon torpedo because it's actually on fire, lol. My mom was not impressed with the smell, the burned carpets, the specks of black melted plastic that floated in the air forever.. and I was so sad that I lost my prefered $19.99 toy.

An eternity of years later, I just had to buy back that toy! I believe I paid about $400-500 for it? Lol, I still have it, it's complete and with the box (attached picture aren't of mine, it's safely sealed in some box somewhere, waiting for future game room!)

1976-Mattel-SPACE-1999-Eagle-Space-Ship-1 (resized).jpg1976-Mattel-SPACE-1999-Eagle-Space-Ship-1 (resized).jpgH4367-L256301332_original (resized).jpgH4367-L256301332_original (resized).jpg
#7571 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Damn ! The prices we pay for memories. Not knocking you. I understand.
I recall when a working pinball machine could be bought for $500.00.

Lol, you said it! But even the small figurines, with helmet and equipment, run for $40-60 each! Space 1999 would make a killer pinball I would gladly pay $15k for! If you ever watch those episodes, some are cheesy as hell, but so much fun!

space-1999-year-1-promotional-poster (resized).jpgspace-1999-year-1-promotional-poster (resized).jpg
#7574 2 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

But you know what? Even though a group of those actors are no longer with us we are remembering them and talking about them today and that is pretty cool.

Martin Landau: North by Northwest, Mission: Impossible, Ed Wood. Full stop!

Barbara Bain is still active teaching acting classes! Of course, herself and Mr. Landau were a couple in real life for such a long time. She played that cool, sexy Cinnamon Carter in Mission: Impossible!

#7577 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

For which she won three Emmy awards. Was recently watching some episodes, and in the first couple of seasons, any time she was alone on screen, they did a soft focus.

..then she'd become truly 'dreamy' on screen! Lol, the studios actually did that a lot..

#7581 2 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Nick Tate, Barbara Bain and Catherine Schell are still around according to IMDB.

Nick Tate? Wow, one of my favorite Space 1999 character - Alan Carter. He was the Eagle's best pilot, always would come to the rescue somehow!

#7585 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I'll be 70 in August. I am at the point in life where shit happens. No one 70 years old dies unexpectedly.
I don't even bother to dress up for funerals anymore. Although I have not yet succumbed to talking about my aches and pains with the other attendees.

You'll be fine as long as you keep posting here and playing pins!

#7589 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I remember going to Sears, to pick mine out.
It was the the Sissy Bar and Stick Shift!
Baseball card, horn, light from a generator were Mods![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Lol, a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle baseball card as a mod.. hopefully a reprint!

#7606 2 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

The Gerry Anderson "Day After Tomorrow" Pre-dates that by eight years.
You can get it on DVD collection of "Lost shows":
amazon.com link »

I need to check this out, looks like the cheesy, B SciFi series/movies I would enjoy!

1 week later
#7641 1 year ago

Buuut..emotional support fish?!! I hate humans, sometimes, lol
Katsugyo-Bag-Live-Fish-Carrier-Bag-4 (resized).jpgKatsugyo-Bag-Live-Fish-Carrier-Bag-4 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220504-204855_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220504-204855_Chrome (resized).jpg

#7644 1 year ago

I think I'm going to fly a few rockets this weekend. I still have a box with some of them almost intact, from when playing with the kids.. always loved the sound and smell of those Estes engines! But half the fun was retrieving them after..!

fetchimage.giffetchimage.gif
#7649 1 year ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I have a really cool hairless cat. It stays at home. I thought it would be fun to take her out, but no. Never.
[quoted image]

Who's the better player?

2 months later
#7916 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I can't recall id the hula-hoop has been talked. I never was any good with those as they always spun around and dropped to my feet.
[quoted image]
Anyway, the hula-hoop has survived into the 21st Century and looks like it is doing well.
https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2021/07/22/how-to-hula-hoop-trend-tiktok-jnd-orig-lbb.cnn/video/playlists/life-but-better-fitness/

Is that Willem Dafoe on the pic? What the..!!

1 week later
#7969 1 year ago

I owned a Sony Walkman just like that one. You actually had to slide the case out so that an actual cassette would fit inside. Really, for the time, a marvel of engineering. The sound was incredible, I really was a cool kid with that thing!

5194881609_0fab05013d_b (resized).jpg5194881609_0fab05013d_b (resized).jpg5195480650_a10453957e_b (resized).jpg5195480650_a10453957e_b (resized).jpg
3 months later
1 week later
#8377 1 year ago

Raisins pie my mom used to make.. yeah, I know, it's an acquired taste, but I never miss a chance to get some! Also convinced my gf to start making them a while back. She doesn't like it, so more for me! Win, win!

old-fashioned-raisin-pie-1 (resized).jpgold-fashioned-raisin-pie-1 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#8416 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Does Jell-O qualify as a youthful memory? I ate a lot of it as a kid. It is still around. I have on the pantry shelf. It has been sitting there for 6-7 years . But beyond the Jell-O shots, is anybody here still eating Jell-0 ?
[quoted image]
Interesting history on Jell-O for those interested.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/19/business/jell-o-america-dessert-ctpr/index.html

Still having Jell-O, here, just took this out of the fridge. We also go for Jell-O Pistachio Instant Pudding Mix. Easy to make, never lasts long!

Jell-O is a treat my mom used to make when we were kids, we always have a few boxes in the pantry (cherry, lime, orange). Sometimes, would forget some in the fridge behind other food items - you would remove the top part and it was fine!

20221120_130213(0) (resized).jpg20221120_130213(0) (resized).jpg

2 months later
#8735 1 year ago
Quoted from mooch:

This is the mug that melts my heart.

I put mine in the freezer, always ready to go!

#8736 1 year ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

The other covers in the artists set.

I'd buy a pinball with such art on it!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Saltimbanco.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-were-your-favorite-childhood-toys?tu=Saltimbanco and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.