BagofGlass (resized).jpg
434599499_10228561822663909_2493513439072746909_n (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2024-03-30 at 7.43.04 PM (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Big Chief pad (resized).png
stfu.gif
speedy-gonzales-movie-donald-trump (resized).jpg
IMG_4109 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PhilGreg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5381 2 years ago

You guys would like this book. The "we imagined"/"they sent" part is pretty amusing since most of the advertisements were very misleading.

20210618_064844 (resized).jpg20210618_064844 (resized).jpg20210618_065028_Burst01 (resized).jpg20210618_065028_Burst01 (resized).jpg
#5387 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I always wondered how those Xray glasses worked. At least with the Ovaltine Decoder ring you got to play along for a couple of weeks before you knew had been hosed. With these Xray glasses, you know you got hosed as soon as you opened the box.
I never bought any of this crap. I bought the Charles Atlas package so I could keep the bullies from kicking sand in my face. I think Mr. Atlas was the teacher for the outfits selling the "how to make millions in real estate".
At least the real estate stuff came in a 3-ring binder. My C. Atlas package was a brown manilla envelope with a stack of printed loose sheets of paper 3/4" thick loaded up with all sorts of instructions for isometric exercise. I had already been doing isometric exercises in gym class. I spent 5 minutes reading that junk and sent it to the round file.

Here are the respective reviews for those in the book.

WIN_20210618_22_07_01_Pro (resized).jpgWIN_20210618_22_07_01_Pro (resized).jpgWIN_20210618_22_08_19_Pro (resized).jpgWIN_20210618_22_08_19_Pro (resized).jpg
#5389 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I remember that my friend's sister bought some of those Sea Monkeys. Yeah, she put them in some sort of vessel that held water. I think there was some sort of life there, but the new wore off of that chandelier real fast.

WIN_20210618_22_52_05_Pro (resized).jpgWIN_20210618_22_52_05_Pro (resized).jpg
#5423 2 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

It's the rock that ruins the party.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

1 month later
#6095 2 years ago

For Super Dave Osborne fans, check him out on Norm MacDonald's show. Hilarious stuff (IMO).

If you haven't seen him since you were kids though, watch out

4 months later
#6901 2 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Oddly enough, The only two movies I remember seeing at the Whittier Village Cinemas were these two:
[quoted image]

I loved Problem Child as a kid, and watched it last year with my 7 year old daughter. Sorry I did - I thought it was one of the most horrible movies I've seen - mean spirited as F, annoying ugly kid, bad jokes. Rotten tomatoes has it at 0% https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/problem_child
And not in a "it was fine back then but society's moved somewhere else and it's not fine now" way. Just bad bad (IMO).
That John Ritter always looked like a nice guy to me though.

Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Two of many knives I used to own as a boy.
I was even able to get on airplanes with that buck knife.
Those were the days.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I once took a BB gun that looked something like this on a plane. My parents lived in different cities and my aunt was a stewardess so we'd get cheap tickets and I'd do a 1h flight instead of a 5h drive. It was a local airport with some old geezer doing all security, from general airport security to screening. I was used to the place and I knew he'd seen me before and would just look through my backpack real quick. I packed it so full it would barely zip, and just as expected he didn't go through the trouble and just had a quick look, so there I was, a 15 or 16 year old kid with an air BB gun in his carry on on an airplane

(BTW I didn't have nefarious plans, just wanted to take it from point A to point B...)

#6909 2 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

It was bad back when it came out IMHO.

For sure - you really can't trust a 10 year old's taste. Which is why I loved this too:

1 month later
#7100 2 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Still have my original on this.
[quoted image]

Such cool fonts on that cover. If you know legendary punk band The Misfits, you'll notice that's where they got the font for their logo.

Misfits - 1982 - Walk Among Us - Front (resized).jpegMisfits - 1982 - Walk Among Us - Front (resized).jpeg

1 year later
#8756 1 year ago
Quoted from AlexF:

A friend of mine took this photo of our hometown A&W a couple months ago. It's the only business that I can think of that has been there since we moved to Edgerton in 1981.
[quoted image]

Interesting trivia, courtesy of ChatGPT:

A&W Canada and A&W USA are both part of the A&W chain of fast food restaurants, but they operate as separate entities with different ownership and management structures. A&W Canada is a wholly Canadian-owned company, while A&W USA is a separate company that operates under the ownership of A Great American Brand, LLC.

While there are similarities between the two chains, such as their branding, menu items, and focus on burgers and root beer, there are also some differences. For example, the Canadian menu has some items that are not available in the United States, such as the Beyond Meat Burger, while the American menu has some items that are not available in Canada, such as the Coney Dog.

Despite these differences, both chains share a commitment to providing customers with quality food and a memorable dining experience, and both have a long history of success and popularity in their respective markets.

#8762 1 year ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

A&W is a staple fast food chain here in Canada. Every city/town with at least 5000 to 10,000 people has one. Love me a mozza burger. Just too expensive now for what it is.

Frosty mug of rootbeer and a side of onion rings was my go to as a kid in the 80s. They also had the drive in style restaurants up here where a waitress on roller skates would come take your order and bring your meal out to your car. Miss the good ol days...[quoted image]

The Canadian side overhauled the image and all the restaurants in the last few years and really nailed it too IMO. Looks like a healthy business to me.

#8764 1 year ago

IMG_20230216_090006861_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20230216_090006861_HDR (resized).jpg

Some of the last books I read - for some reason I'm really interested in these fast food stories.
Kinda the same as pinball I guess, americana.
That Colonel Sanders was quite a rowdy character.

#8776 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I saw some documentary on the Colonel. Seems he killed a guy in his younger days.

According to the book he did get in a shootout with the owner of a nearby gas station, but didn't kill him.

IMG_20230216_193809261 (resized).jpgIMG_20230216_193809261 (resized).jpg
#8781 1 year ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

We also have the Wendy's/Tim Hortons combo restaurants
[quoted image]

Another fast food fun fact:

Dave Thomas was the founder of Wendy's, another popular fast-food chain known for its square hamburgers and signature Frosty dessert. Thomas worked for KFC in the 1960s and helped to build the company's franchise system. In 1969, he left KFC and started his own restaurant, which he named after his daughter, Wendy.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PhilGreg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-were-your-favorite-childhood-toys?tu=PhilGreg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.