BagofGlass (resized).jpg
434599499_10228561822663909_2493513439072746909_n (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2024-03-30 at 7.43.04 PM (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Big Chief pad (resized).png
stfu.gif
speedy-gonzales-movie-donald-trump (resized).jpg
IMG_4109 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider LTG.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#191 8 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

would appreciate some Pinside entertainment.

What happened to your walkie-talkie ?

LTG : )

#197 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

My brother had the green GI Joe ones in the 60s. I think the standard black ones worked better.

Mr68 wouldn't know.

For Christmas his Mother only gave him one.

Heck one year his Mother woke him up early, she needed him to go get a Birthday cake for his twin Brother. On the way to the bakery was when Mr68 figured out who her favorite son was.

#201 8 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

That was 2007, Lloyd.

You were only 12 years old in 2007 ? Who'd a thunk.

#223 8 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

It never ceases to amaze me now as a parent how my parents would just send a 9 year old kid out into the woods on a motorcycle for hours on end but they did and I made it .

Did you notice any large life insurance policies laying around the house, with your name on it ?

#225 8 years ago

Nobody played with M-80's and wrist rockets ?

#312 8 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

You seem pretty cool for a guy with a girls name.

At least when he moved out and got on his own. He could stop wearing the frilly dresses his Mother made him wear. He shaved off all the golden locks too. He still wears the f*** me underwear though.

This all would have seriously effected a lot of people. But not Mr68. He's a real trooper !

1 week later
#644 8 years ago

Haunted House game.

detail-gameboard-haunted-house-ideal-xl_(resized).JPGdetail-gameboard-haunted-house-ideal-xl_(resized).JPG

#645 8 years ago

My first train set was an American Flyer HO set with an engine just like this.

Americanflyer_(resized).jpgAmericanflyer_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#721 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

when the wood I got came from cutting the legs off
the New Couch!

Reminds me of an old friend who got one of those lead melting things to cast toy soldiers. He ran out of lead soon after Christmas. Tried other things around the house. The pewter from the Revolutionary War era worked perfect, made great soldiers.

1 year later
#1243 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Who needed store bought toys.....we had big cardboard boxs.

We only had a rock. And we had to share it.

#1246 6 years ago

Sadly, no.

2 years later
1 month later
#1726 4 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

My mom has a favorite story she likes to tell about me. When I was 3 or 4 she made a deal with me that I could get one of those steel dump trucks if I used the bathroom consistently. Apparently i was difficult to potty train and had frequent accidents.

I did well, got the truck...

My Mother often told how I got my first truck. I was about 2.

My cousin Melvin, a lot older and bigger than me. Had dolls, easy bake oven, all kinds of girl toys. My Grandmother was baby sitting me and when my mother picked me up my Grandmother told her it was pretty soon time to get me a doll.

This is the part where I really love my Mother. She screamed that I'd never have a doll. That I'll have trucks. We stopped on the way home and got me my first truck.

No idea what it was. Or what happened to it. I know if forever endeared me to my Mother.

Disclaimer : When I was about 8 years old I attacked Melvin, who at that time was a lot older and bigger than me. The old man gave me the beating of my life. Seems he had an issue that it was Melvin, he was teaching summer bible school, and it was in church. To this day all I know is that I whaled on his ass and it was worth it.

7 months later
#1953 3 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I really have no clue.

Check completed auctions on Ebay. Ones actually sold, not closed ones that didn't sell.

2 months later
#2240 3 years ago

Anybody play "shots in the nuts ?"

#2264 3 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

My sister had this...

That brought back memories. My older cousin Melvin had one of those, and dolls, etc.

I was probably 2 or 3 years old and my Father's mother was baby sitting me. My mother came to pick me up. My grandmother told her it was pretty soon time to get me a doll.

My mother told her I'd never have a doll, I'd have trucks.

So on the way home we stopped and got me a truck.

So back then trucks were my favorite toys. Bless my mother's heart.

1 week later
#2376 3 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

I have come across many older gals that have
face scares from the flammable stuff.

#2383 3 years ago
Quoted from EdisonArcade:

AKA "The Dime Store" by my grandmother.

I remember when many of the hardware stores were Lionel dealers.

#2387 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

And on another topic, we had a kid in our neighborhood that would swallow anything on a dare. Small toys, coins, bugs, anything small enough for his mouth.

That wasn't Rick Swanson, was it ?

#2417 3 years ago

Kinetic balls were fun. The one I had way back when was a wood frame and four balls.

balls (resized).jpgballs (resized).jpg
#2419 3 years ago

Kaleidoscopes were fun too.

kali (resized).jpgkali (resized).jpg
#2444 3 years ago

This thread reminded me of cast iron horse drawn toys. If it was real fancy, had intricate or dainty wheels, still had paint on the wheel treads. Looked in great shape. It likely belonged to a crippled child who couldn't play with it.

Thankfully since polio had a vaccine invented. More kids can enjoy toys as they were meant to be.

I love a beat up toy that was enjoyed.

#2463 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Let her rip guys.

I know a guy who got one of these for Christmas. But only one.

wt (resized).jpgwt (resized).jpg
#2466 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Thats just scary for me, Lloyd.

Wasn't scary for Mr68 . It is sad if you ask him if he ever found the long forgotten bicycle rusting away in a tool shed with the other walkie talkie still strapped to the handlebar that he never used his walkie talkie to find.

#2503 3 years ago

American Flyer HO Scale steam engine.

AF060 (resized).jpgAF060 (resized).jpg
#2516 3 years ago

I got one of these for Christmas when I was about 3. Though I don't recall the yellow plastic, I remember mine as being all grey.

jet (resized).jpgjet (resized).jpg
#2551 3 years ago

Tools. Take stuff apart. Break stuff. The bigger the hammer the better.

1 week later
#2617 3 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

My older brother did not "break" my things... he would simply sell them off when I was not home

WOW.

Sorry to hear that.

LTG : (

#2619 3 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

It's not as bad as what happened to my cousins.
They got in really bad trouble. I do not know what it was, but their dad started a
fire in the fireplace and he made them put all of their cherished stuff into the fire; one at a time.

Ouch.

He must have forgot they get to pick out his old folks home.

#2639 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Where have all the good Toys gone?

I don't know why. That reminded me of post WW2 when all the great tin wind up toys started coming to the USA from Japan and Germany. Now long gone and forgotten. Except by collectors.

1 week later
#2846 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

84AAABA5-DD7C-4960-9A63-98A869C936D9 (resized).jpeg

Nice to find a coin from your birth year.

#2872 3 years ago

HH (resized).jpgHH (resized).jpg
#2910 3 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

kim, you look a lot different now

His Mother never gave up wanting a girl.

1 week later
#3011 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I would be afraid to pick those up. Figure they would be unstable and blow up in my hand.

So you didn't play with blasting caps when you were a kid ?

#3019 3 years ago

Anybody grab onto the bumper of a car and let it drag you through the snow covered streets ?

#3020 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

Did you ever run up or down in the opposite direction of a moving escalator?

Lots of times. I had a friend run down one once and I didn't feel like going after him so I yelled "stop thief". He disappeared for awhile. He wasn't none too happy with me after spending time with store security and getting searched.

I miss being a kid.

I miss wrist rockets too.

#3038 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

I hope one of the toysiders here on pinside can help.

Looks like Hubley.

They had more of a gray tire, that crumble with age.

#3060 3 years ago

The super balls mentioned previously reminded me of when I found a super ball golf ball. Lots of fun.

Until a big guy across the alley with a baseball bat asked to see it. I tossed it to him. He chucks it in the air and smacks it with the bat.

That thing took off. At least a couple blocks away we hear it bouncing between some houses then a large crash of a window breaking. No sense going to look for it.

#3086 3 years ago
Quoted from bssbllr:

Shit! My mom wouldn’t even give me a slingshot.

You know Mom's. "You'll shoot your eye out".

When my Father was a child he got a B B gun for Christmas. Taped the target to a brick wall. Shot it. Pellet came back and took the end off of one of his front teeth.

I grew up around the .22 caliber gallery guns. Later shotguns for trap shooting and pistols for range shooting. My Mother was more the "what ever the hell I was doing she didn't want to know". Every gray hair she had came from me. Things like yes, Reddi whip will hit a 14 foot high kitchen ceiling.

1 week later
#3234 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

Our 1960s pre-remote-control era TVs

About that time my family had a TV with a remote.

I was playing with my Father's ring of keys from his route in front of the TV and every time I tossed them in the air I'd change the channel.

That TV went back for one without a remote.

#3253 3 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Has anyone seen these gangsters figures? Know who makes them?

Can't find anything. The bases look very similar to other figures made by Elastolin Hauser or Lineol after WW2.

#3353 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Oh my god. Do you guys remember getting unwanted erections in class? We must of looked stupid carrying our books in the front as cover.

It sure peeked the girls curiosity.

#3354 3 years ago

A friend of mine had a jumbo box of those. He had it open and was staring at it.

I smacked the bottom of his hand as hard as I could. It looked like it was snowing in the class room.

rings (resized).jpgrings (resized).jpg
#3363 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Ah, that's "piqued" Lloyd.

I was sure they peeked.

#3411 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Didn't take a lot to wow us back then, did it?

Still doesn't. I think sliced bread is the cats meow !

#3413 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Well aren't you the bees knees.

Well, you know your onions.

#3424 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Here's a record called Gougar Speaks from Williams when the made the pinball machine Gougar in 1979.

It came with many of the Gorgar flyers.

#3445 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

When I was a kid, I was creeped out by the idea of voodoo dolls. They appeared in so many places in 1960s popular culture that I thought they were something real,

But they are real.

Here are a couple examples from voo doo museums in New Orleans circa mid 1990's.

voodoo (resized).jpgvoodoo (resized).jpg
#3461 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

Yeah, but now I’m old enough to know that those dolls are basically Bourbon Street gift shop novelties rather than supernatural demonic torture devices trying to kill me.

Let me know later if you feel anything.

Then we'll know for sure.

#3465 3 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Not quite indestructible...

My Spaghetti'Os dish is Corelle.

DSC00532 (resized).JPGDSC00532 (resized).JPG
#3466 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Quoted from mooch:

Yeah, but now I’m old enough to know that those dolls are basically Bourbon Street gift shop novelties rather than supernatural demonic torture devices trying to kill me.

Let me know later if you feel anything.

Then we'll know for sure.

Damn. I'm sorry. Now I hope it doesn't work. I was going to hold a cigarette lighter under a foot to give you a hot foot and the damned thing flared and burned right up.

I sure hope you are okay.

#3474 3 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Trolls..............

And the awful smell of the plastic when they were new.

Quoted from mooch:

I have a Corelle Spaghetti’Os dish, too!

Way cooler than mine.

#3550 3 years ago
Quoted from ghostbc:

I remember getting an old steal wheeled skate, ripping it apart and nailing it to the bottom of a piece of wood and meeting up at the smoothest street around our neighborhood . Hit a pebble , your going down. Then watching as we saw the first clay wheel's on a store bought skateboard still hit a big pebble your going down. To the smooth boards of today. This is my "Back in my day post"

Reminded me of roller skating at a roller skating rink. Hit a wad of gum and you are going right down face first.

#3564 3 years ago

Kick the can.

can (resized).jpgcan (resized).jpg
#3566 3 years ago
Quoted from pinworthy:

I still have a box

For some reason I hear Billy Batts saying, "Now go home and get your shine box".

#3579 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

( I actually made a time capsule with my Capn Treasure, and buried it under a tree 47 years ago....)

When I was about 3 years old. Midwest Federal had a commercial on TV. They planted a dollar bill. And a tree grew with dollar bills for leaves.

So I planted all my change in the back yard. Unless someone went over it with a metal detector. There is a fair amount of silver coins still there.

#3625 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I received mine in the 1960s, for the Bronx zoo.

An Elephant Key, for Talking Storybooks!

I had a pink one from Como Park Zoo.

Great times.

1 week later
#3666 3 years ago

Magic Rocks

magicrocks (resized).jpgmagicrocks (resized).jpg
#3668 3 years ago

Dragon Egg.

dragonegg (resized).JPGdragonegg (resized).JPG
#3670 3 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I would be petrified with fear of touching it in case it were to hatch.

I got it at a renaissance festival. You could pick one. They'd split it open. A geode with real pretty crystal formations inside.

I didn't want mine split in half though. I didn't want to lose the magic that some day a dragon might hatch.

#3678 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

but the damn thing just didn’t work at all for me.

You need to beat the orange up some. Loosen the innards.

#3688 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

My parents saved S&H Green Stamps.

Curt Carlson started with those. I don't think you can get them anymore. You can still redeem them.

1 week later
#3754 3 years ago

I had one of these when I was a kid.

R&B (resized).jpgR&B (resized).jpg
#3765 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

they probably have to go in at an angle...

Now you're thinking.

#3769 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

This is also on the site, if one likes a mechanical, "Ice Cold Beer".
(if anyone is into puzzles, feel free to reach out)

Or Williams Rat Races.

#3779 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I'd like to know the solutions to some of those old tricks, too.

Youtube.

#3788 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Nothing better then Blowing up Models!,

I once had a large air craft carrier model. Filled it with gun powder and firecrackers. Floated it out onto a lake. Then shot bottle rockets at it. Took quite a few. Finally one hit it. and KABOOM ! Nothing but dust came down.

#3789 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

The 3 Busiest games were the Booths filled with glasses and dishes, that first were a nickel, then a dime to win.
I watched people blow hundreds to get a cheap Far East set of plates.

When I worked at my Father's shooting range at the Minnesota State Fair ( 1967 to 1972 ) We marveled at the people that went down to Royal American ( the carnival part of the fair ) and won a big box of dishes or glassware. First thing in the morning.

Then lug it around all day.

This is late August. So on a really hot day. By 4pm as they walked by the garbage troughs or barrels, in they went.

We'd go grab them and the next morning sell the boxes for $5, used it for food money. And many times we'd fish the same box out later in the day and sell it again the next morning.

I wouldn't want to be back out there. But I miss the excitement.

#3820 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Like looking at my old pictures with real long hair and now thinking how stupid I looked, I see these cigarette commercials and think they are so gd stupid, I'm like how did I ever think lighting up was cool.

Hell if I eliminated everything I once thought was cool. My body would be in a lot better shape. I didn't smoke. But did have some spectacular car and motorcycle wrecks. Not to mention the full contact karate years and moving heavy equipment without proper equipment.

We do tend to get smarter as we get older. If there is anything left of us.

#3830 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Points if you remember what these used to be called. Before we started eating "healthy".

sp (resized).jpgsp (resized).jpg
1 week later
#3949 3 years ago

Back about 1980 I was at a scrap yard and saw a huge stack of bronze Gumby and Pokey molds.

Was a sad day.

#3976 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

I have no idea what a teaberry is.

Regional name for wintergreen.

#4017 3 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Can't have those without homemade nunchucks!
Show of hands, how many family brooms suddenly had shorter handles.

I have a pair of those somewhere. The wood shaft is 6 sided, so it has an edge, not round or smooth. You can cut with them. Really inflict some damage.

#4127 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

And before Walkie Talkie's, a tight string between two cans. Which I never did but heard about.

Why ? You only have one can ?

#4164 3 years ago

DSC00469 (resized).JPGDSC00469 (resized).JPGDSC00470 (resized).JPGDSC00470 (resized).JPG
#4210 3 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

and hit the whole box with a 5lb mallet and BOOM !!!

Soak with gas and light it is cool too.

#4214 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

My mom would never let me shoot off my cap gun revolvers while riding Trigger at our super market. I took them out of the holster ONCE and she took them away for a month.

In 1973 when I worked for an operator. Those wall games were popular. Golf, trap shooting, tennis, etc. One of the guys took a Sandy Horse over to a trap shooting one and fired them both up. Fun to watch him try and hit stuff.

#4295 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

those early remotes were chime units, sometimes jiggling keys would change the channel

I was a couple years old and sitting in front of my parents brand new TV. My father being an operator, gave me his ring of keys to play with. Every time I tossed them in the air I changed the channel.

The TV went back the next day for one without the remote.

#4296 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I'm old enough to remember when they had rotary dials

I'm old enough to remember what an M80 in the coin return did. Phone took money after that, didn't work or return the coin. A few days later go by and bang on it and a pile of coins would come out.

#4324 3 years ago

I got to play on this at Como Park before they fenced it in. When it was first there, they had a rope rigged up to ring the bell. The neighbors really loved that day and night. Minnesota Transportation Museum has it now in the Jackson Street Roundhouse. Disassembled.

Sadly many railroad steam engines donated to parks eventually get vandalized. Succumb to the weather. And when they become an eyesore or liability they get scrapped. Not many get cared for.

comopark (resized).jpgcomopark (resized).jpg
#4335 3 years ago

I haven't for years. My backyard has something special. If I ever see the owner, I'll let them know.

I ran into a person that owned the house, but sold it in 2019, on Facebook.

So much has changed in the area. Grade school moved and new building. Park has a new building and kiddie pool moved to the East.

Every time I move it seems to get torn down, rebuilt, and improved.

#4353 3 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

We did not have any driver simulators, we just got in a car,
and drove around town and in parking lots with 3 students and one teacher.

Me too. I never got tired of the teacher asking me if I stopped when I hear the breaking of glass.

He had stakes in cement in coffee cans for us to practice parking. I loved to mow them over.

#4355 3 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

She had chalked my tires

Funny how people get caught.

Many years ago a friend of mine borrowed her Fathers car when he was out of town. She marked exactly where the car was parked. How much gas was in it. Everything she could think of. Even replaced the gas to the exact amount.

She thought she got away with it.

Sometime later her Father mentioned to her that the next time she took his car, to put the seat back. She was short. He was tall, very tall.

1 week later
#4451 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Coors was a small and very limited brewery back then and it's beer became highly coveted

Had a customer would mail it here for us.

Great times.

#4464 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Oh yes, talk about a long life cycle. I also grew up in the 50s and 60s watching those 1930's productions. I loved the Little Rascals.

I watched them. Didn't care much for them. Now if mom took me to see a gladiator movie. SCORE ! I loved those. Though probably the only kid cheering for the lions.

#4480 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

(that last part was a joke but probably true)

But, alas, it is just a myth. Originally, NASA astronauts, like the Soviet cosmonauts, used pencils, according to NASA historians. In fact, NASA ordered 34 mechanical pencils from Houston's Tycam Engineering Manufacturing, Inc., in 1965. They paid $4,382.50 or $128.89 per pencil.

#4483 3 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

They call me mellow yellow...

Donvan hit.

A friend of mine had jaundice when that song came out. He was confined to bed. His brothers played that song non stop for him.

#4505 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

I made a big mistake once by writing on some eggs with a Magic Marker. Those didn’t taste too good.

You just reminded me of my Father. When he was a child, they'd gone fishing. After cleaning the fish, he fed the heads and stuff to their chickens. For three months their eggs tasted like fish.

#4507 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Decorating eggs for the Spring Equinox New Year, goes back 4500 years to Zoroastrian Faith.

Wow Art. I knew you were old, but I didn't know you practiced Zoroastrian Faith.

I liked Zoro. But I didn't believe in him.

1 week later
#4607 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I believe the US savings bonds keep accruing interest until you cash them in—-even after they have matured. They are backed by the govt. They have value.

Some do have cut off dates and don't keep accruing interest. I'm not sure if all have cut off dates.

#4608 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Do you know to find out? I guess take to the bank?

Check the link in post 4601.

1 week later
#4670 3 years ago

When I was a kid, in my area. Shasta cans had to be opened with one of those pointy beer can openers.

Of course being anything to do with beer. We couldn't find it. So an ice pick worked. Hold on the can and punch down. In theory. My sibling lifted it high in the air, me holding the can. Came down and right through the side of my hand between thumb and finger. Nailed my hand to the kitchen table.

And yelled those immortal words, "don't tell mom". And running out of the room and left me nailed to the table.

Was able to free my hand and other than a couple holes and blood, one on each side, and no damage. I never did tell mom.

#4681 3 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I remember having a blue hoppity hop.

They have shots for that now.

#4702 3 years ago

Waterball.

#4708 3 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

walkie talkies

Mr68 had one.

#4712 3 years ago
Quoted from electricsquirrel:

My mom said he was a prick, I don't know. He was always cool to me!

Of course. He's an old guy trying to get into heaven. They aren't that way when they are younger raising kids. Grandparents are the best.

1 week later
#4810 2 years ago

Corelle at it's finest.

Long live Spaghetti O's

DSC00505 (resized).JPGDSC00505 (resized).JPG
#4848 2 years ago

pringles (resized).jpgpringles (resized).jpgscre (resized).jpgscre (resized).jpg
#4850 2 years ago

When new it came with three blue marbles.

1 week later
#4934 2 years ago

When I was a kid I had the most fun with one of these. There wasn't anything that I couldn't fix or destroy.

hammer (resized).jpghammer (resized).jpg
#4969 2 years ago

Damn. I've seen them. No idea what they are called.

#4973 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

$8.00 for that stick of what ever it is ! That's a lot of money for one party favor.

$8.00 is nothing when you live in the land of $10K pinball machines and $4K toppers.

Just as much fun. And you are only out $8.00 when you light it and flick it out.

#4976 2 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Going out of season, did anyone have bubble lights for Christmas Trees? I loved them as a kid.

I still like them. First time in many years I was working on bringing back Christmas lights in my window at work. Remade the PVC frame. Restrung lights. Was going to pick up some bubble lights, and then got shut down for the holidays. So I never got that far.

They still make them.

#4978 2 years ago

We had these kinds of Christmas tree lights from about 1967 on.

xmas (resized).jpgxmas (resized).jpg
#4995 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Whats the name of the Music in this video?

At the very beginning ? sounds like the Munsters TV show theme song.

#5015 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Mexican Coke is still made with real cane sugar.

Coke made for Passover has real sugar too. Available at many stores during that time. Has a triangle on the side with CRC in the middle. Chicago Rabbinical Commission.

#5018 2 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Now that is something I have never heard of. When is passover, Ill buy Coke then.

You just missed this year. Though some stores might still have it.

2022 - April 15th through the 23rd.

Look for it in the Kosher section.

#5039 2 years ago

When you were a kid did anyone give the arm signal to a semi or a train in hopes they'd blow their horn ?

#5073 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Collectible slurpee cups:

Collectible popcorn buckets from the movie theaters too.

#5081 2 years ago

I loved the tin amusement park toy rides. Lots of cool stuff.

#5083 2 years ago

At one time I had a large horse drawn cast iron toy collection.

One thing that always made me sad. If a piece was very ornate, and didn't show wear. It was owned by a crippled child who couldn't play with it.

#5109 2 years ago

Then I remembered the black character's name.

Sherman Potter's first appearance before he returned and became the colonel was offensive.

#5147 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I'm still curious about though....

Sometimes it's best to get over that.

Our state fair some years back had a stand with chocolate covered bacon on a stick. I was curious so stood in line to buy some. While there I noted a nearby garbage can full to the top of them. Each one looked like it had one bite taken and then tossed.

I decided against trying it.

#5150 2 years ago

Reminds me of the first year the Minnesota State Fair had a long booth featuring alligator meat. My friend wanted to try it so se walked in.

About half way the aroma hit me. Smelled like someone burning rubber soled sandals. I left not caring if it tasted good or not.

#5156 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I liked to like turkey legs when they were $5.00. Then they went to nine bucks a pop and priced me out.

I worked at the Minnesota State Fair until 1972. Then went there at least one morning every year for old times sake. Until about 5 years ago. Pronto Pups hit $4.50 each.

I miss it. A lot. But realized I was going out of habit. Not that it was fun anymore.

Same with the Minnesota Renaissance Festival. I was fortunate to go for about 25 years when the Feast of Fantasy was worthwhile. Then it became habit more than fun.

#5159 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

But my favorite was watching the people spend hours tossing coins into stacks of Plates,cups and glasses.
There were many trying to get a full set, and would spend hundreds of dollars....

When I worked at the shooting range my father ran until 1972. I got a kick out of people. They'd run down to Royal American ( the carnival ) first thing in the morning. Get a set of plates or glasses. Lug it around all day. And about 4 in the afternoon just start dumping them in the trash bins.

We'd fish them out later. Sell them the next morning. Wash rinse repeat.

#5161 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

What's the trick?

Youtube has lots of videos showing how carny games work.

#5165 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I'll pay a dollar and play to win a prize that is worth a quarter. And the more I win.......

That is the problem. What the crap you win is really worth.

At the MN. State Fair when I worked at the shooting range my father ran. One of our guys knew a person down in Royal American shows. They ran the rides and carny games there at that time.

Every morning this guy went down and bought a medium size stuffed animal for .25 ¢ and brought it back to the shooting range and sold it for $5. ( he used the money for food ) It always sold fast. And I guarantee you Royal American wasn't losing money on that stuffed animal.

#5167 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

But the kid's girlfriend gets the wide eyes if he wins something Being a red blooded boy, he digs deep for another quarter to please his lady

Gee honey, I don't know where the money went

I'd stand on the side and ask the carny, "how much do you need ?" $5 usually did it, going in his pocket.

#5173 2 years ago
Quoted from bssbllr:

Could never figure this one out though.

Check Youtube for jacobs ladder or fair games. It takes a little practice. All but laying on the rope ladder, and go fast.

#5191 2 years ago

Surely they use tempered glass.

Maybe yes maybe no. Depends on make and model and country of origin.

1 week later
#5228 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Have my 4th Heart procedure on Thursday..

I'll be hoping the best for you my friend !

#5244 2 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

That reminded me of riding around on these little hand cars when I was a kid.

Excelsior Amusement Park had them when I was a kid. I loved them.

They are quite pricey now if you find one and track. And I don't seem to fit anymore.

#5258 2 years ago

I have always had the dream to build a miniature golf course that was a scaled down size of a PGA course.

I saw one in Texas ? years ago. Three greens. Six different T boxes. You had to play it a few times before you realized it wasn't really 18 holes. It played like it was.

#5284 2 years ago

When I was a kid I remember always trying to get passing trucks to blow their air horn. It seems like kids lost this somewhere in the last couple decades.

Railroad engineers too !

#5298 2 years ago

I always thought that something like this only with a Goose instead of a chicken would be great for the Goose parties.

goldenplumpchicken (resized).jpggoldenplumpchicken (resized).jpg
#5354 2 years ago

sk (resized).jpgsk (resized).jpg
#5373 2 years ago

This deer statue used to be sticking out the side of the John Deere building up towards the top when the building was on Washington Avenue in Minneapolis, MN.

When I was tiny if we went for a ride in the car I always got to see it.

jd (resized).jpgjd (resized).jpg
1 week later
#5454 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Anyone else collect Mini Lighters?

Reminded me of the tiny bible give aways at the sideshows at fairs.

tbible (resized).jpgtbible (resized).jpg
#5476 2 years ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

I also remember President Carter telling us to "put on a sweater" and lower our thermostats in the winter of 76-77 - Fireside chat.

I'll do that when they make the rich people turn off their swimming pools.

#5485 2 years ago

I don't have any pictures. Back when we bought SS Billiards. Sam Snelling who we bought it from, had started Super Sam's businesses in many of the shopping centers. Kind of like a McDonalds you'd see in a mall location. I you bought a beverage. It came in a tall white paper up with red printing and his likeness on it.

They didn't last too many years.

#5492 2 years ago
Quoted from HFK:

Baskin Robins

Home of the lola palooza.

#5530 2 years ago

logcabin (resized).jpglogcabin (resized).jpg
#5579 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

lol - probably??
100%

Just like chicken noodle soup from a vending machine. All chemicals, no chicken was harmed in the process.

#5618 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

we found this restored 78 player.
At the time, it was very unusual to find a fancy grill, and in a light colored wood, in this case Oak.

I had one years ago. Where your grills are, on mine there was 5 upright thin oak doors. So when not in use it looked like furniture. When in use, it raised or lowered the volume depending on how open or closed they were.

Had some Hank Williams 78s for it.

Great times.

#5648 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

My sister-in-law and my brother had one of those dog house things.

I had one when I was very young. Played with it. No idea what happened to it.

#5699 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Anyone have this toy?

Looks like Mr68 without glasses.

#5701 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

(EEG brain wave testing)

Well, don't keep us in suspense. You have a brain or not ?

#5744 2 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

DC9517EA-B066-4740-BC79-D00170752E92 (resized).jpeg

voodoo (resized).jpgvoodoo (resized).jpg
#5772 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

With my birthday being Christmas EVE I couldn’t wait for December to come every year .

You'll shoot your eye out.

#5774 2 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

I had some friends who always felt like they got jobbed because their birthday was right around Christmas.

My Mother's was January 2nd. So she got one present for Christmas and birthday. All the other siblings got for Christmas and their birthdays.

#5777 2 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

That’s very sad.

It was. Her Father died when she was 8 years old. She was the baby and his favorite. After his death, they pretty much treated her like dirt. Yet any time they needed her, she was there for them.

A good example : Her mother was sick and contacted her to come help her. My Mother didn't have the nickel for the street car. So she walked from Minneapolis to Chaska, 26+ miles. Took care of her mother for two weeks. When her mother was better. She asked her mother to borrow a nickel to take the street car back home. Her mother said she didn't have it. So my mother walked back home. The next day her mother bought her son Dick, a new car.

This was just one instance. Late in my Mother's life I asked why she put up with it ? She said family, and she loved them. Of course nice guy I am I pointed out don't cry about it then. You tolerated it.

Most of them were worthless. One Aunt and Uncle were super, sadly died in a car accident in the early 1960's. And one of her Daughters and her husband were nice. That was it.

One cousin by marriage and another cousin came into my business in the early 1980's with some of the grand kids and their friends. Timing was fishing for graduation presents coming up. For my Mother's sake I was polite. Treated them to pop and games. The kids asked the bitch, I mean cousin by marriage, why I was being so nice to them ? She said I was trying to buy my way back into the family.

For my mother's sake I didn't say a word. I didn't want to stir up trouble. They left. I did tell my Mother, and told her I'd never allow any of them in my business again. I didn't know how to contact the cousin by marriage. I was able to call the other cousin. I asked her to please relay a message to Lita for me. I was born into the family. I wasn't a hooker that Jimmy dragged home and had to marry.

That took care of it. They kept clear of me.

#5815 2 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

That was when I saw a rat the size of a small dog. Ah Detroit.

One of the customers at my dad's arcade at 8th and Hennepin in Minneapolis. Told me about growing up with them in the projects. He said they used to ride them to school.

#5820 2 years ago

Rat pucking.

rat (resized).JPGrat (resized).JPG
3 weeks later
#6058 2 years ago

They also gave us Super Dave Osborne, who I thought was hilarious on Letterman

Super Dave had parts on HBO too. A friend of mine was named Dave. So I wrote to HBO to see if I could buy a Super Dave hat like he wore on his show.

I got a letter back telling me to never write to HBO again.

#6060 2 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

Wow. That was lame of them

That is what I thought. I would rather they ignored it, or said no.

I've always had weird experiences writing to companies or people. TV Guide once had an article on Marina Sirtis ( counselor Deanna Troi on Star trek The Next Generation ) in the article they said she was wearing a new bra. If you wanted to know what and size, you could write her. So I did.

Never got the bra info. I did get a small autographed picture.

#6103 2 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Makes me wonder what I could get for this 21 year old jar of Mayonnaise?

Food poisoning.

#6106 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Care to share with us how you came to be in possession of a 21 YO jar of Mayo?

Lots of people try to create new life forms in their cupboards.

#6111 2 years ago

Except bicyclists are still supposed to make the same hand signals when in traffic.

... too bad "required but rarely enforced" equates to "something no one ever does."

Same rule applies to horseless carriages.

2 weeks later
#6239 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I'm going to file this one under youthful memories. I think a lot of you can appreciate the humor in this.

Reminds me of my area down the street about 40 years ago. Westbrook apartments had a covered wagon on the south side of the street you turned on to get into the area and office. Past the covered wagon a building of single stalls for tenants cars.

In the first stall a beautiful corvette.

One day a big truck came along. Lost control. Hopped the curb, sidewalk and grass. Went through the covered wagon. Wall of the building. And took out the corvette.

Sadly I'll bet the guy thought his corvette was safe.

Westbrook rebuilt the covered wagon, with plywood. Looked like sh*t. Was there for years until weather beat it into a bigger eyesore and it finally went away.

#6247 2 years ago

I had a friend who used to tag along with his wife to yard sales. He'd buy every monopoly game he found. He'd keep the money and leave the game.

At one point he had over 3 million in monopoly money.

He took it with him to antique shows, collector toy and train sales. If he saw something outrageously priced. He'd say he'd take it. While they were wrapping it up he'd pull out his wad of monopoly money and start counting out how much the item was. If they'd stop him, he'd get mad and have to start counting over.

He was an engineer. Kind of gray fuzzy hair. Glasses. Nerd pack. He could play this game straight faced.

I loved seeing him mess with people.

#6250 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Do you remember awhile back when we were talking about state fair food and both of us tried the chocolate dipped bacon and thought it was the pits. I think you said something about seeing a waste can full of those tasteless bacons on a stick.

Yes. Before buying one ( any new state fair food ) I'd check out the nearby garbage can. It was full of them. Looked like one bite and toss.

Quoted from cottonm4:

If you like licorice

I'm not. Thank you for the suggestion. You never know what might turn out good.

#6261 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

They were $5 one year and $9 the next year.

I don't go to our state fair anymore. I heard Pronto Pups were $6 this year.

That and the Renaissance, I found I was going out of habit. Not that I enjoyed it anymore.

#6262 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

There were some in my girlfriend's backyard, but they do not seem as plentiful as they use to be.

A lot of stuff gets them. Mosquito spray, fertilizers, their food source. They are fragile.

#6271 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I used that as an example when my daughter was all freaked out about the Y2K computer crash ending the world.

I liked how many people thought that there wouldn't be any food in the stores on January 1st, 2000.

Millions of trucks running all over the country emptying them ? And where would they get rid of all of it ?

Or how many women suddenly had Arab boyfriends after 9/11 that told them not to fly anywhere on that date ?

Unbelievable what people think sometimes.

#6273 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Back when what you owned was just cheap shit and you could party hard and not worry about breaking anything

Jeff Foxworthy said single people throw the best parties. Because if their place gets trashed. They can redecorate for $50

2 weeks later
#6397 2 years ago

Yeah, it blew my mind that despite the legal smoking age, our high school had a smoking area for the children!

That one confused me too. Hopkins when they were all gung ho on underage smoking, the high school had a designated area for the kids to smoke.

And around that time the sun sailor newspaper had articles about problems at the school.

Well when you can't control the kids, no surprise.

1 week later
#6418 2 years ago

Da Men gets you in trouble. It ain't for men.

1 week later
#6488 2 years ago

Youtube has some to. Shorten search to find more.

1 week later
#6545 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

When I was a kid and on into my 20s I read Readers Digest religiously.

When I was a kid.

When you were a kid it was probably pretty good.

Then the era when the founders were real old and dying, it got pretty sad reading, too many doom and gloom articles.

It's better now. Not what it once was.

2 weeks later
#6621 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I was fascinated with the Woman on the cover,

If Herb Albert did a Peanut Butter Delights, I'd be a dead man.

1 week later
#6682 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Anybody read these two sisters when you were growing up? Our evening paper carried Ann Landers. I read her religiously.

Ann Landers and Dear Abby.

Great ladies. Good advice. And they grew with the times. And had no problem taking on heads companies or organizations.

2 weeks later
#6826 2 years ago

. JC Penney did have toys in their Christmas catalogs. I don't remember whether the stores had a toy department; they very well may have,

They did at one point. I've found Lineol and Elastolin toy German soldiers with JC Penny price stickers on the bottom. We quit trading with Germany in 1938. So that would have been about that time frame.

2 weeks later
#6863 2 years ago

I only have one translucent red record left. Flip side is a 15 minute version of Brown Sugar. The other rare records I had were lost through the years.

CSB (resized).JPGCSB (resized).JPG
2 weeks later
#6958 2 years ago

Remember when butter came in a wooden box ?

One pound box was perfect for an O Gauge Lionel box car. Two pound box was perfect for a Lionel Standard Gauge box car.

Lionel or Ives, depending on what you had.

3 weeks later
#7091 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

It is not a toy. It is not a youthful memory, but any student of German Nazis in WW II should find it interesting.

The Coca-Cola Swastika.

Nazi toys in particular German soldiers were imported to the United States until 1938 when we stopped trade with them.

Though rare. Some of the Elastolin Hausser or Lineol toy soldiers will have tags on them from department stores in the USA. Kresges is one I remember.

#7095 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Did you have any of the cheap Iron Cross/ Woolworth's action in your town?

I remember them. I saw them sold in more places and the state fair.

4 weeks later
#7366 2 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Anyone know what these are?

Anal beads. One end is the ripcord for when you come.

#7406 2 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

My uncle was friends with that bozo.

I can top that.

Many years ago on a New Year's Day morning I was at the Shriner's breakfast at the hotel Sofitel in Bloomington, MN

Seated next to me, was. The head rat inspector for Minneapolis. Not just any rat inspector. The head of all the rat inspectors. What a day.

1 month later
#7575 2 years ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

The sad things is most of the actors are dead.

Same with old pictures on Shorpy. Most people in the picture are long gone.

Sadder is finding old pictures long abandoned. The people unknown and no one left to care for them. Eventually end up in landfill.

LTG
Disclaimer : Years ago I picked up a tin type picture of an old lady in a coffin. Probably mid 1800's. I mixed it in with the family pictures to be a mystery to anybody trying to figure what relative she was.

4 months later
#8093 1 year ago

I had one of these when I was a kid. American Flyer HO scale 0-6-0.

af (resized).jpgaf (resized).jpg
#8134 1 year ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Speaking of phones, who is old enough to remember when you could not buy a phone and had to rent them from the phone company

And accessories. A friend discovered an external ringer buried in a wall in his parents house. He discovered it going over bills. They'd been leasing it for a few bucks a month for probably over 30 years.

He contacted the phone company about it. The only way to get it off his bill was to return it. He told them fine, you come get it. And repair the wall it's in. They decided they didn't need it back and canceled it from his bill.

1 month later
#8242 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

A little bit of history:

40 years ago. 7 people died from ingesting poisoned Tylenol.

It really messed up Halloween too. I used to give out 500 or so candy bars at my business. That year none.

Around here it's never been the same since. I don't even bother with decorations or give out candy any more.

And I used to love that holiday. Decorations all over. Three big pumpkins, three little ones. I scored the inside top of one and sprinkled cinnamon and nutmeg on it so as the candle burned it smelled like pumpkin pie in here. Witch hanging from a string flying around.

The good old days.

1 week later
#8266 1 year ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

1960's Shell gas giveaways!

I miss those days. From gas stations I picked up a nice metal Mickey Mouse fork, spoon, and knife. I threw them in the glove box. That way if I ran into food anywhere I was all set.

2 weeks later
#8298 1 year ago

I remember years ago talking to some older lodge members. There was always a couple who couldn't function without their wife.

They'd make Jiffy Pop popcorn without removing the cardboard cover. Or if the wife was out of town and left instructions to warm up the stove and bake a TV dinner. Yup, the wives neglected to tell them to remove the TV dinner from the box before putting it in the oven.

I am so glad I can cook.

1 month later
#8461 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

How many of you remember the meter maids marking your tires with chalk? And then hammering you with a ticket if you have not moved your car.

September 2001 I was in downtown Minneapolis emptying a business basement. Nearest parking was two blocks away. No way in heck I'm doing that.

So I park on 5th street. Business owner comes running out and tells me I'll get tagged and towed in ten minutes.

I put my phony ticket under the passenger side wiper. A Minneapolis Police patch on the dash right by it.

Went and got a cup of coffee and watched. Meter maid pulls up, whips out her ticket book. Sees my ticket and police patch. Gets back in her vehicle and leaves.

I love meter maids.

1 week later
#8477 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

So who delivered newspapers as a kid?

I was about 8 or 9 years old. A friend of mine had an older brother who had a paper route and wanted to sell the route to us. I laughed, I knew you could go to the shed up on Broadway just east of Adams and the man there would give you one.

Now in my neighborhood the blocks were real long. And you didn't really make that much on a paper route. Especially considering what I made returning pop bottles and selling golf balls to golfers. Too much work for too little, I thought.

I did discover that since I knew the brothers paper route. I went around and collected for him. Now the paper boys had a folder with stubs in it, when a customer paid you, you'd tear one out and give it to them.

So when I asked the people to pay up, I told them that the brother would be around later and give them the receipt/stub. Most fell for it.

Didn't last more than a few weeks. The paper company took the route away from him because he wasn't turning the money in.

Collecting was way easier than delivering if you were a paperboy.

1 week later
#8532 1 year ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I don't see it listed in your current collection.

He flipped it right after Christmas.

Disclaimer : Just kidding. Looks like a great Christmas present and a great Christmas !

#8579 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

starring Primitive Pete (who was drawn as a cave man).

I loved him.

When ever I'm using a tool that I shouldn't be using, I think fondly of him and then keep going.

1 month later
#8743 1 year ago
Quoted from mooch:

This is the mug that melts my heart.

There was an A&W stand on the corner of 27th and Central in NE Minneapolis just down the block from my Mother's bar. Building is still there, been a used car lot forever.

Nothing like a cold frosty mug of A&W root beer with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on a hot summer day.

1 week later
#8814 1 year ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

it doesn't even fit on my thumb.

And you have it on backwards.

I wouldn't resize it and wear it unless you are a Mason.

2 weeks later
#8835 1 year ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Here is an old TV show

Nice Goose.

2 weeks later
#8869 1 year ago
Quoted from Sputnik:

As many times as Little Joe was shot in the shoulder, for some reason there was never a hole in his green jacket.

Same with the Big Valley.

As many times as that family got shot, how are they still alive ?

#8870 1 year ago

I liked when Bonanza, Big Valley, and High Chaparral, would all have similar episodes. Like the star shoots and kills a bad guy. Then tries to help his widow and children and falls in love with the widow.

Or when Little Joe went on to Little house on the prairie. Oh great, more Bonanza retreads.

#8883 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

How many remember those small glass coffee creamers that used to be at every restaurant you entered?

Fancy restaurants had finger bowls too.

Last time I saw that was at a rib joint in Duluth. Short wide bowl, sparkling water in it with a thin slice of lime. Everybody was drinking it. People were shocked when I finished my ribs and cleaned my fingers in it and dried them on my napkin. Next time I went there the finger bowls were gone and they went to towelettes.

#8887 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You were living pretty high there, Lloyd

Not really. Early 1980's a slab of ribs was about $8.00, they were great. Years later not so great. Used to be worth the drive just for the ribs. Now if you are driving by not worth stopping in.

Quoted from cottonm4:

What was the lime for?

Decoration. Looked nice on the sparkling water.

#8891 1 year ago
Quoted from RCA1:

What kind of drugs were Sid and Marty Krofft on, and how did their shows get on children's TV?

Catchy tune too.

#8892 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

This one is a smaller one with no top handle. Only handles on the side. It was my mother's that I inherited in 1989.

I inherited one of them. Glad to throw it out. Only used it for Thanksgiving to roast a turkey. Then scrape, scrub, clean, get rid of grease.

Too much work on top of cooking a feast.

Aluminum disposable one works just as good and the whole thing grease and all goes in the garbage.

4 weeks later
#9005 12 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I only saw that poster one time only. It would have been in 1967.

I'm not questioning when you saw it. I didn't know things like that were out a couple years ahead of the moon landing.

I wonder if it was speculation of what they'd find on the moon ? I wonder if there were others with guesses of what they'd find ?

#9008 12 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

EDIT: Actually, Lloyd, it could have an earlier date in anticipation of the upcoming moon landing'; sort of like "this is what we might find on the moon"; Once Neil Armstrong stepped out of the room lander, there would have been no real point of the poster.

That is what I was wondering. if there were other speculation posters of what was up there. Like cheese ?

1 month later
#9159 10 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Which one of these TV memories resonates with you?

Chevrolet - "Bring them back alive".

2 weeks later
#9200 9 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I have not seen a photo kiosk for decades.

There was one on a corner about a mile and a half away from my business. When it was vacant and for sale, I thought it might make a neat coffee/newspaper stand. Busy very early and closed and home after evening rush hour.

#9202 9 months ago
Quoted from Zartan:

Actually quite a genius idea!

I thought so. The grocery store by me around 7am had a line of cars every weekday morning for coffee and newspaper. This was about the time cappuccinos and lattes were taking off. I thought you could make a killing.

I made some inquiries but the shopping area it was in preferred it gone. Tore it down not long after.

#9204 9 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

But newspaper sales would be a bust, though

I agree. But you always have to change with the times.

And with what you'd make on the coffee drinks, you could easily live without newspapers or magazines. Maybe use that space for pastries.

#9221 9 months ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

There was also controversy involved because the employees were either topless or scantily clad.

Reminded me of when I was a kid. A local barbershop started having topless ladies cutting hair.

The local news station covered it and smudged the picture of the exposed breasts. And they totally forgot the mirrors in the room.

Gotta love TV when you are a kid.

1 week later
#9247 9 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

That color wheel just demands a fake Christmas tree.

And the tree spinning in a rotating musical base.

My Mother did that in our front room about 1963 with two color wheels.

Traffic was backed up on our street every time it was on.

#9253 9 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Hank Williams sang about , "I'm nobody's sugar daddy now". Hey, Good Lookin'

That line ( I'm nobody's sugar daddy now ) is in Love Sick Blues.

#9254 9 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

And then in my 20s I went to a Christmas tree bonfire; One word: WHOOSH ! After that, the aluminum trees looked pretty good. I swore I would never ever have a cut pine tree in my house.

Can you imagine way back when they had lit candles on them ?

WOW !

#9259 9 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I never thought duck-and-cover was ancient history and would never be coming around again. But Russia has a lot of nukes and an unhinged dictator throwing his weight around.

North Korea too.

#9262 9 months ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

What era are those?

Bluebird Toys of Swindon, England, licensed the concept and the first Polly Pocket toys appeared in stores in 1989. Mattel held a distribution arrangement with Bluebird Toys for Polly Pocket items in the early 1990s.

3 months later
#9497 5 months ago
Quoted from Oneironaut:

Anybody ever eat at the Woolworth? I still remember those hamburgers

Yes.

One time my hamburger fell out of the bun and rolled under the counter.

The ladies working there wouldn't give it back.

I was sad.

#9500 5 months ago
Quoted from Oneironaut:

Did you really want it back?

I was a little kid. Yes.

#9502 5 months ago
Quoted from RCA1:

If we ever meet in person, I'll buy you a burger, since I feel bad for little kid LTG now.

Thank you !

It was a terrible experience. You smell the burgers on the grill. And you are stuck eating just the bun.

#9511 5 months ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

I'm trying to picture a hamburger hitting the ground and rolling?

These hamburger patties were preformed, round and thick. Not hand made each time. So they were more hockey puck shaped. Hence the ability to roll.

Landed on it's edge. The counter was raised up a bit on legs. I leaned over and watched it roll under, and leaned against the back of one of the old fashioned fountain machines with the clear top and constantly sprayed soda around on the inside.

I even pointed it out to the lady but she didn't care. I tried to reach in and grab it from underneath but my arm wasn't long enough.

I was sad.

#9523 5 months ago

Martha Washington on paper money.

mw (resized).jpgmw (resized).jpg
#9531 5 months ago
Quoted from mooch:

Wow! Those old bills look so cool.
Take a look at this one.
The dude on the left is checking out Lady Liberty’s nip slip.

That is when they wanted to try making out money prettier.

251 (resized).jpg251 (resized).jpg
#9534 5 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

Not as much now, but we always used to check the edges of our silver coins to see if it had that copper strip meaning before or after 1964.

Kennedy half dollars 1965 to 1970 had copper strip, 40% silver.

Canadian quarters and dimes 1966 and before are silver, not as pure as American silver quarters and dimes minted 1964 and earlier.

#9536 5 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

Glad we haven't even gotten into gold coins yet.

Four dollar gold Stella. One of the prettiest gold coins.

gold (resized).jpggold (resized).jpg
#9539 5 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

It seems that in the old days there were a lot of crooks who would file a bit of silver from the edges of the coins.

Not just crooks. Some foreign countries did it too. Chip off bits, use altered coins to pay for goods. Then sell the bits. Did it to silver and gold coins.

#9540 5 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I sort of remember when the Kennedy copper clad half dollar cam out.

1965 t0 1970 had 40% silver. 1971 and later all copper clad.

#9554 5 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

4 dozen freshly shucked clams

Awe shucks. o-din can clam up over that part.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider LTG.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-were-your-favorite-childhood-toys?tu=LTG and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.