BagofGlass (resized).jpg
434599499_10228561822663909_2493513439072746909_n (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2024-03-30 at 7.43.04 PM (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Big Chief pad (resized).png
stfu.gif
speedy-gonzales-movie-donald-trump (resized).jpg
IMG_4109 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HFK.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#576 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

they served fish sticks on Friday.

Quoted from jhanley:

I kind of liked fish sticks

BwFtF59CMAAUIQ0.jpg_large_(resized).jpgBwFtF59CMAAUIQ0.jpg_large_(resized).jpg

3 years later
#1777 4 years ago

We used to make spud guns with pvc, an electric grill lighter and hairspray. Used to also make tennis ball cannons out of beer cans.

9 months later
#2492 3 years ago

I was really excited to get a remote controlled robot that even picked stuff up. Christmas morning and the thing didn't work. When we returned it to the store a couple days later there were stacks of them behind the desk. Seems even if you got a working one it didn't last long.

https://images.pinside.com/6/8e/68e0507c979de10e950881eaa6a6ed7936fb89f6/resized/large/68e0507c979de10e950881eaa6a6ed7936fb89f6.jpg

Tobor is robot spelled backwards, what a concept. The commercial made it look like you had complete control but in actuality it would only go forward and turn in a circle. As for picking stuff up you had to perfectly ram the arm into the support module so that never worked either.

Tobor-5 (resized).JPGTobor-5 (resized).JPG
1 month later
#3147 3 years ago

I had one of these ones.

viper (resized).jpgviper (resized).jpg
#3165 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

Trick and Treat was shown on “Garfield Goose and Friends” hosted by Frazier Thomas, which aired weekday afternoons after school on WGN. In between puppet skits, they showed various short cartoons and films like Clutch Cargo, Spunky And Tadpole, The Mighty Hercules, The Funny Company and the timeless classic Chatter’s World.

[quoted image][quoted image]

51m2gDrq07L._SY445_ (resized).jpg51m2gDrq07L._SY445_ (resized).jpg
1 week later
#3302 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

Any NTN Buzztime trivia players here?
[quoted image]

I used to spend a lot of time in the 90s at BW3 playing that all night. So many stories.

1 week later
#3530 3 years ago
Quoted from onemoresean:

Remember Tv POWWW?

I was on the Cleveland version of the show. I won a handheld Coleco electronic football.

#3603 3 years ago
Quoted from onemoresean:

This was my daily diet in the 70’s
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Taco Doritos are the best. They still sell them but only in certain areas. Haven't been able to get any here for years now.

#3624 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Heres one for the memory check.
I received mine in the 1960s, for the Bronx zoo.
An Elephant Key, for Talking Storybooks!
In looking this up, I just learned, other zoos had them too!

[quoted image]

I still have mine from the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo. They used to have a small train that ran around the outer edge of the zoo and you could ride tortoises as a little kid too. As a kid the zoo and Sea World were my favorite places.

1 week later
#3667 3 years ago
d85873f73a24081ae43c987c6cd6e63e (resized).jpgd85873f73a24081ae43c987c6cd6e63e (resized).jpg
#3682 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

Can it core a apple?
[quoted image]

That might be my favorite episode. Unfortunately the joke would be lost on a lot of people today.

1 week later
#3720 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

How many of you remember this book?
[quoted image]

cook1 (resized).jpgcook1 (resized).jpgcook2 (resized).jpgcook2 (resized).jpg
#3740 3 years ago

I had that Jaws toy and loved it. One of the few games you could play with friends or by yourself.

#3795 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Did anyone have State Fairs that Didnt have Livestock Contests?[quoted image]

One of the most heartbreaking things I ever saw was at the state fair years ago. It was towards the end and a young girl around 12 or 13 was hugging a cow and crying her eyes out. Most people don't know these kids spend a year raising and caring for these animals and at the end of the fair they are auctioned and most go off to slaughter.

1 week later
#3924 3 years ago

I have a Tron lightcycle from the last movie that does that. Has to be a smooth surface so the fan can get a good suction seal on the wall.

#3925 3 years ago

Speaking of wall climbing I remember these were big back in the 80s.

tynttskoctwa_1 (resized).jpgtynttskoctwa_1 (resized).jpg
#3936 3 years ago

Avon was huge in the 70s. I think it was brought up way back here but I don't remember those car cologne bottles being posting but definitely remember them.

#4006 3 years ago

All those knives and throwing stars etc. are legal in FL. The one is called an OTF, out the front.

3 weeks later
#4400 3 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:For some reason I remember it being at Thanksgiving Time, not Easter?!?!? in the early 60s
Could be my memory ain't so good now

I remember Thanksgiving as being King Kong. Looked forward to it every year.

#4445 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

And for the next 4-5 years it was a battle between the kids, their parents, and the school principle as to how we kids could wear our hair.

I still find it funny that the early Beatles were considered long hair, half of them their hair didn't even touch their collar. I was told as long as I lived at home my hair had to be kept cut and I couldn't move out until I was 18.

2 weeks later
#4596 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

I was crushed when Chef Boy-Ar-Dee discontinued its boxed Goulash Dinner. My late-1960s childhood favorite! I asked my Mom to make it for dinner as often as possible. The meatballs in this stuff were so good! But apparently the rest of the world did not share my love for this product. It disappeared after only a year or two. Today, it wallows in obscurity with very few images of the box online. But I remember you Goulash Dinner!

Being Hungarian I will tell you that is no goulash. Goulash does not have meatballs and that is not how Hungarians enjoy goulash.

I had that Star Trek magic slate.

2 weeks later
#4782 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

How old were you before you could tie your own necktie? I’m embarrassed to admit it, but my Dad had to tie my tie for me until I was about 20 years old.

Never learned how. I would always have someone to do it for me. In my adult life I have only worn a tie a handful of times besides bow-ties for tuxedos.

2 weeks later
#5056 2 years ago
coldwar (resized).jpgcoldwar (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#5195 2 years ago

Since this thread is at 104 pages it probably was already posted but I don't remember.

172t2ld2q8x01 (resized).jpg172t2ld2q8x01 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#5242 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Thanks! Ill take it! Have my 4th Heart procedure on Thursday....Need another 30 years!
I want to grow young!

Damn, I was just thinking I should call you tomorrow to see how things were going.

Everything will be good and I'll talk to you soon.

1 week later
#5398 2 years ago
6748ac5dbdff460c876d1bc9e717ffea (resized).jpg6748ac5dbdff460c876d1bc9e717ffea (resized).jpgtr42cjsbpxr01 (resized).jpgtr42cjsbpxr01 (resized).jpg
#5436 2 years ago
1234 (resized).jpg1234 (resized).jpg
#5441 2 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Nice S- - - - . No more hints. Can you see it too.?

I've always been able to see these right away and my vision is crap.

I like these too, the fun part is trying to turn them off if you can.

444 (resized).jpg444 (resized).jpg
#5490 2 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

I think there was one or two Tastee-Freez locations in Virginia, but Dairy Queen was/is much more common. As a kid, a trip to the oceanfront was not complete without a stop for ice cream. DQ was good for a quick soft serve, but High's had the best real ice cream and milk shakes. For a really special occasion, it was a stop at the Old Straw Hat on the way home. That was an 1890s themed place with an old style candy store in the lobby that had salt water taffy and giant lollipops. You could have a free sundae on your birthday. I loved that place! I played my first Pong machine there.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

We used to go to DQ for burgers and such. For ice cream we would go to Baskin Robins, my parents considered it 'real' ice cream where as DQ wasn't.

br (resized).jpgbr (resized).jpg
1 week later
#5604 2 years ago

Okay, we've all seen them but none of us are that old.

#5712 2 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

My mom didn't have a ET finger but I was horrified when I found her toy drawer looking for Xmas presents

Yeah, I didn't just find a toy but a couple of Polaroids too.

#5790 2 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

While we did not have one of these when I was doing the lawn as a yute, two of my neighbors did. Always thought they were so weird with the staggered wheel![quoted image]

We used those along with the Jacobsen reel type mowers for the high end yards. I used to do the lawns that were the same as putting greens in the wealthy neighborhoods back in the 80s. They put out a great pattern. I used to do designs in the lawns like a stadium.

#5852 2 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

That Harlem Drive-In ad was dated January 9, 1970. It was open all year round and they did have heaters. I remember using one in the car. Looks like there were a few different heater models.
[quoted image]

Could you imagine the liability issues if that was today?

1 week later
#5939 2 years ago

I came across a few unused boxes of these about 25 years ago, can't remember where they are though.

vintage-hokey-pokey-aluminum_1_ec4ecf692c922c1cb878da6b0fae49a7 (resized).jpgvintage-hokey-pokey-aluminum_1_ec4ecf692c922c1cb878da6b0fae49a7 (resized).jpg
#5945 2 years ago

How about the iron on t-shirt transfers. Had to make sure the shirt was perfectly flat and they never looked good for more than a couple of dozen washes. They were also really hot in the summer.

ironon (resized).jpgironon (resized).jpg
#5946 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The anodized colors remind me of those aluminum "glasses" my aunt had back in the 60s. Same colors.
I just figured out what "The smoker's friend" is. Those are cigarette snuffers.

I was kind of curious how many people had ever seen these or knew what a snuffer was.

#5956 2 years ago
bl (resized).jpgbl (resized).jpg
#6022 2 years ago

Keeping on the moon theme:

#6023 2 years ago
Quoted from bssbllr:

Grandma took to the Neil Armstrong museum in Wapakoneta, Ohio several times as a kid. So when I got the chance I was able to take my children and it was still as kool as always.
[quoted image]

Grew up right by the NASA Lewis Research Center in Cleveland. Loved going there as a kid. Cleveland had some really great museums.

#6072 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

who as a kid had a pair of rainbow suspenders?[quoted image]

I think I got mine at TJ Maxx. Of course you had to make sure the pins were in the exact same spot as that picture.

#6073 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I lived in Arlington TX in early 70s. On Sunday, you walk into grocery store and more than half the aisles were roped off. You could buy some food but not all of the food offerings. That was bizarre. I think it was in 1975, right before I left Texas, that the blue laws were done away with.
Texas still has some crazy liquor laws, I think. One county will be wet and the next country is dry. When I lived there, anything east of the Trinity River was wet. And the industrial road that was on the west side of the river was a shopping center of liquor stores. And then westward for 15 miles all of Dallas County was dry until you got to the Dallas/Tarrant County line where it was wet again. And there was a huge shopping center of bars with any kind of bar action you could want. It was called The County Line.
Did you like to dance? There was Deb's Danceland. Did you like to get drunk and pick fights? There were a couple of bars for that, too. Down at the south end were the go-go bars ( titty bars were not legal, yet). And it was safe. I never heard of anything bad happening.
And during those days with the wet and dry counties, it was legal to carry an open beer can while behind the wheel.
But the grocery stores had to have their aisle roped off on Sunday.

I regret I never got to see Mickey Gilley's place.

#6083 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

the old outhouse gag[quoted image][quoted image]

This is the little boy peeing toy I remember.

weepybootleg2 (resized).jpgweepybootleg2 (resized).jpgweepybootleg3 (resized).jpgweepybootleg3 (resized).jpg
#6127 2 years ago
plastic (resized).jpgplastic (resized).jpg
4 weeks later
#6329 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I always thought the Pinto was a nice looking body style. And I have always liked station wagons. I never drove one, but always thought they looked nice.
I never was a big fan of the Maverick, but bought one while in the car biz. It was a nice driving car. I was impressed.

My mom had a Mercury Bobcat which was the same car as the Pinto, it really wasn't a bad car. My brother also had a Maverick but it was a rust bucket when he got it.

I am still a fan of the Mustang II and wouldn't mind finding a nice one some day.

1977-ford-mustang-cobra-ii (resized).jpg1977-ford-mustang-cobra-ii (resized).jpg1977-ford-mustang-ii (resized).jpg1977-ford-mustang-ii (resized).jpg
#6369 2 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

Remember when Jeno’s Pizza Rolls were a new thing? They first appeared in the late 60s as a spin-off of Chun King Egg Rolls. At a party, each batch would get gobbled up in seconds after coming out of the oven.

Jeno's was the shit then I think it was in the late 90s they became Totino's and they just weren't the same.

Costco carries Pappalo's and they must have the original recipe because they are great. Usually $9.99 for a box of 2 50 count bags but they go on sale for $6.99 all the time. I know they aren't exactly healthy so I only have a few every month or so but damn they are good.

#6370 2 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

My teacher at school will never know I have a cap gun. It’s cleverly disguised as an ordinary lighter and cigarettes.

My high school had a courtyard in the center where you could smoke until the early 80s.

#6378 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I was kicked out of high school for smoking. Twice ! One week each time. For the first time, I did not know the school sent a letter in the mail to my parents. Busted !
The 2nd time around, I watched that mailbox like a hawk and made the interception

I got written up twice at my old job for smoking in a vehicle, someone complained there were ashes on the floor. I went to my boss right away to let him know and was told not to worry about it, he said the vehicles were usually so dirty how would anyone know. The person who was in charge of vehicles was an old bitter drunk woman and her only joy in life was making things difficult for others. She passed away from drinking about a year after she was fired.

Never had a problem with smoking in school, one teacher even told me the best place to smoke at.

2 months later
#6854 2 years ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

Do you ever ask for a raw egg in your Orange Julius? It made it really creamy

I have never asked for a raw egg in anything. I loved Orange Julius back in the day and never knew this was a thing or completely forgot about it.

1 month later
#7024 2 years ago
Heathkit_Robot-4 (resized).JPGHeathkit_Robot-4 (resized).JPG
1 month later
#7202 2 years ago
3395904479_ab638ecb13_b (resized).jpg3395904479_ab638ecb13_b (resized).jpgimages111 (resized).jpgimages111 (resized).jpgimages2112 (resized).jpgimages2112 (resized).jpgmrbones (resized).jpgmrbones (resized).jpg
#7204 2 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

Remember “cum gum?”
[quoted image]

Yep, there is a flashback.

#7233 2 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

I was going to ask who remembers the 7 oz Miller shorty bottles, but apparently they are still made.[quoted image]

ci-mickeys-fine-malt-liquor-81d11ddfc0b658be (resized).jpegci-mickeys-fine-malt-liquor-81d11ddfc0b658be (resized).jpeg
#7259 2 years ago
Quoted from scottslash:

Miller ponies... church keys... Mickey's hand grenades... lotsa memories!

Does everyone remember what this tap went to?

IMG_8192 (resized).jpgIMG_8192 (resized).jpg
#7262 2 years ago

They were introduced in 76 and supposedly one company still made them until 2007.
OYLS4P3NFBB7BM6EYFEQGX4W7A (resized).jpgOYLS4P3NFBB7BM6EYFEQGX4W7A (resized).jpg

I looked and used taps only go for about $20 but then again they are useless now. I do like that mine is from Genesee and I didn't see another.

1 week later
#7370 2 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Anyone know what these are? The left ball slides from one end to the other. Can't figure it out. Is it complete?
[quoted image]

ofynwugil9y51 (resized).jpgofynwugil9y51 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#7554 2 years ago
Quoted from kungfucop:

Here is the craptacular Energized Spiderman toy from the 70's that only the rich kids had while I oogled over the commercials and could never convince my parents to splurge for.

[quoted image]

I had a friend with divorced parents and they both would buy him every toy ever created while I was happy with kites and army men. He would hook me up with firecrackers though.

#7555 2 years ago
jerry (resized).jpgjerry (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#7670 1 year ago

How great is this setup? Everything you could possibly need within arms reach. I need to get a grill for my coffee table.

b&d (resized).pngb&d (resized).png
#7676 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I love my little Bob & Doug diorama. They’re kinda dwarfed by the Replicades. Take off, eh?
[quoted image]

That is awesome.

1 month later
#7889 1 year ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Just bought a can of Pik Nik String potatoes!
Chili dogs, topped with them!!!
My childhood relived this weekend!
Lincoln Logs and Trainsets with my Granddaughter[quoted image]

Not as good as that Chicago dog I had at lunch today. That does look good though.

#7897 1 year ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Rob and I had Lunch yesterday.....Smart Alec!

Once again, thank you for lunch and everything else.

3 weeks later
#7992 1 year ago
Quoted from mooch:

Does anybody still play croquet?
I once saw a croquet set in my Grandpa’s garage when I was a kid in the 60’s.
I had my uncle set it up in the yard and I played a game with my cousins.
But no adult in my family was interested.
It seemed like croquet went out of style long before I showed up.
[quoted image]

The park around the corner from me put in croquet fields a few years back. Everyone dresses in solid white, not a hint of color anywhere and nobody under 70.

#8010 1 year ago

I had a huge collection of cards many complete sets and lost them all when the water heater broke. Still bums me out at times.

#8025 1 year ago
fancy (resized).jpgfancy (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HFK.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-were-your-favorite-childhood-toys?tu=HFK and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.