stfu.gif
speedy-gonzales-movie-donald-trump (resized).jpg
IMG_4109 (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20240319-093421 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240318_220904_Chrome (resized).jpg
Unknown (resized).jpeg
2024-03-18_09-56-44 (resized).jpg
shot0037 (resized).png
There are 9,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 47 of 196.
#2301 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You guys and your electronics labs. I'd rather play with uranium.[quoted image]

o-din...that brief case kit makes you a terrist!

#2302 3 years ago

These werent my Childhood memories, but I picked them up for my son. Snap Circuit, which is still available today, and
a great teaching toy, and Robotix.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#2303 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

These werent my Childhood memories, but I picked them up for my son. Snap Circuit, which is still available today, and
a great teaching toy, and Robotix.[quoted image][quoted image]

I think I saw those snap circuit things a couple years ago and wondered about them (I think it was at one of those places called RadioShack).

Are they kind of cool?

As a kid, I personally REALLY liked the feeling like I was wiring up my own electronics when I used all the little jumper wires (even though I had no concept of cable managment till later on and it was always a rat's nest); I could see snap together components being a lot more simple for parents and kids, though.

#2304 3 years ago

Dunno if these have been posted before, who has time to look back through 1700+ pics?!

Still have both of these "computers." Well, not "still," they're not the actual ones I had as a kid, but I collect weird stuff...

And like my Lafayette kit earlier, I just stole the pics off the web. I wouldn't leave batteries in anything, ever!

ScienceFairDigitalComputerKit (resized).jpgScienceFairDigitalComputerKit (resized).jpgoriginal-digi-comp-digital-computer (resized).jpgoriginal-digi-comp-digital-computer (resized).jpg
#2305 3 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

I think I saw those snap circuit things a couple years ago and wondered about them (I think it was at one of those places called RadioShack).
Are they kind of cool?
As a kid, I personally REALLY liked the feeling like I was wiring up my own electronics when I used all the little jumper wires (even though I had no concept of cable managment till later on and it was always a rat's nest); I could see snap together components being a lot more simple for parents and kids, though.

I'd say they are a great way to introduce electronics to kids. Large colored pics, snap pins, to connect, and fun projects.
I'd say boys and girls 8 and up, less technical and intimidating
Small kits to test a child too.

#2306 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I'd say they are a great way to introduce electronics to kids.

z8754829_640x640 (resized).jpgz8754829_640x640 (resized).jpg
#2307 3 years ago

That beats chewing on an electrical cord, for sure.

#2308 3 years ago

When I was young, we had this plastic cased like tabletop organ that plugged in. I recall it being like some light green/teal color, but no idea what it was...

Now, I knew I was taught not to touch the prongs or stuff things in outlets. SO...I was SMART...I held the prongs with a pair of pliers (so I wasn't technically touching them), and jammed them in the outlet. I was lucky that the pliers had rubber/foam handle grips (we had some that were old style all metal). I do not recall having ANY concept that the grips would insulate me...just that I wasn't "touching" the prongs. Well....I had to explain to dad when he got home why his white wall had a couple black marks above outlet

At least the organ still worked

#2309 3 years ago

I knew a kid that chomped on a power cord when he was an infant, and he had a big old scar to prove it. That's how I learned.

#2310 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

[quoted image]

I did that!
A sharp flame came out of the left top slot socket and toasted the top of the plastic insert.

#2311 3 years ago

Auction update from yesterday.

The two lots of WW2 comic books went for $100 and $50 respectively. The Hot Wheels set went for $50! Wow.

#2312 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

[quoted image]

Forks work better. Made my hair stand up as a child.

Had a singer friend who had a hot/live microphone. If your hands or lips touched the top part of the Mic, you'd get a good shock.

Z(2).jpgZ(2).jpg
#2313 3 years ago

I did not have access to Playboy Magazine...
But TG&Y had puzzles...
$4.95 "can" puzzles never knew what you where going to get...
Me and neighbor bought a PB "can" puzzle and it ended up being the Asian girl.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
I remember to this day, Brian's mother, Deloris, saying
"There she is".

#2314 3 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

I did not have access to Playboy Magazine...
But TG&Y had puzzles...

TG&Y was next door to Boys market where the Playboys and Penthouses were on the bottom shelf of the magazine rack. They didn't call it Boys market for nothing.

#2315 3 years ago

I loved the smell and feel of this

20201018_095755 (resized).jpg20201018_095755 (resized).jpg
#2316 3 years ago

Oh yeah.

unnamed (resized).jpgunnamed (resized).jpg
#2317 3 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

Now that you mention it, I'm not sure how stolen Playboys haven't made this list yet. They were always a childhood favorite!
This is the December 1972 issue. It even has a pretty cool article on pinball (because we all know you only read Playboy for the articles ). Too bad the Fireball gets lost in the centerfold.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Nice one! I would love if you could scan that pinball article and email me.. I dont think I could ever track down a 1972 issue of Playboy in Norway just to read that article.

Thanks in advance

#2318 3 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

Now that you mention it, I'm not sure how stolen Playboys haven't made this list yet. They were always a childhood favorite!
This is the December 1972 issue. It even has a pretty cool article on pinball (because we all know you only read Playboy for the articles ). Too bad the Fireball gets lost in the centerfold.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I have two large boxes of Playboys that I bought every month in the mid to late 60's. When I went to sell them a few years ago I was shocked to see that most of the centerfolds were missing. Turns out my son, now 48 years old, and his friends had pulled them out and decorated the walls of their fort in the woods.

#2319 3 years ago

Between the Ages of 2 and 3, I played with this, and was pushed around by my Aunt and Cousins.
This was my Aunts old Stroller....I believe from the late 1920s-30s, By Taylor Tot.
Up and down the Driveway, in Far Rockaway, in an Old Victorian Home, that was holding in the 60s, 3 families.

The Houses were all residences, of Politicians, and Prominent New Yorkers, who moved a bit further out from Coney Island,
for the Then Remote Rockaway Beaches. It went to the Boardwalk with me as well.

Fast Forward, 1981, and I am with my wife, we are 21, and Antique Hunting in Reading, PA.
We come across a rusty one, and look at each other, and say this would be good for our Baby, sometime in the future.

By the Time our first child came, I was moving cross country, and never had the chance to restore, as my daughter grew too big.
It hung from the Garage ceiling for 30 years, and with my Granddaughter here, I felt I should restore.

A project that would take a week, with a sandblaster and a bench, took 3 months, doing on top of garbage cans, poor health, and all hand tools. Extra Holes, Wrong Bolts, Rust everywhere, and Roach cases. What a PITA!!!

But, for little Alex, it was worth it, and Ill post a Pic later, here is a Childhood toy, Restored after about 100 years, for the next generation!

raylor tot raw (resized).jpgraylor tot raw (resized).jpgtaylor Tot blue (resized).jpgtaylor Tot blue (resized).jpgtaylor Tot blue2 (resized).jpgtaylor Tot blue2 (resized).jpgpurple Taulor Tot Alex (resized).jpgpurple Taulor Tot Alex (resized).jpg
#2320 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Between the Ages of 2 and 3, I played with this, and was pushed around by my Aunt and Cousins.
This was my Aunts old Stroller....I believe from the late 1920s-30s, By Taylor Tot.
Up and down the Driveway, in Far Rockaway, in an Old Victorian Home, that was holding in the 60s, 3 families.
The Houses were all residences, of Politicians, and Prominent New Yorkers, who moved a bit further out from Coney Island,
Fast Forward, 1981, and I am with my wife, we are 21, and Antique Hunting in Reading, PA.
We come across a rusty one, and look at each other, and say this would be good for our Baby, sometime in the future.
By the Time our first child came, I was moving cross country, and never had the chance to restore, as my daughter grew too big.
It hung from the Garage ceiling for 30 years, and with my Granddaughter here, I felt I should restore.
A project that would take a week, with a sandblaster and a bench, took 3 months, doing on top of garbage cans, poor health, and all hand tools. Extra Holes, Wrong Bolts, Rust everywhere, and Roach cases. What a PITA!!!
But, for little Alex, it was worth it, and Ill post a Pic later, here is a Childhood toy, Restored after about 100 years, for the next generation![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I think I remember an episode of American Restoration (back before they axed him and changed show to some stupid and completely different show but pretended they didn't), where Rick's Restorations redid one of those near exact models.

Neat!

#2321 3 years ago
The-King-of-Queens-S05E11-d6e7ba41a7e2d27aafd9a114c49da199-full (resized).jpgThe-King-of-Queens-S05E11-d6e7ba41a7e2d27aafd9a114c49da199-full (resized).jpg
#2322 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Restored after about 100 years, for the next generation!

Very nice job! Did the stroller handle and floorboard get restored too, or decided not to go with them?

#2323 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

But, for little Alex, it was worth it, and Ill post a Pic later, here is a Childhood toy, Restored after about 100 years, for the next generation![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thats just beautiful.

#2324 3 years ago
Quoted from mtn-:

Thats just beautiful.

I restored the handle, but this one didn't have a floor board.
My Grandaughter is ready to scoot.

20201018_162624 (resized).jpg20201018_162624 (resized).jpg
#2325 3 years ago

As young kids, living in a house with a concrete smooth sloped down driveway, we got to play
"roller coaster" with my dads creeper.

#2326 3 years ago

How about Air Pinball from Radio Shack? It worked like an air hockey table. Not much of a game in retrospect, due to the lack of actual scoring, but the artwork is fantastic.

airpinball (resized).jpgairpinball (resized).jpg
#2327 3 years ago

I didn't have the electrical kits, but loved this.
m64898406076_1 (resized).jpgm64898406076_1 (resized).jpg

#2328 3 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

I remember I think a 1973 with everybody's favorite Barbie Benton? I always thought of her as bendable Barbie!

#2329 3 years ago

Still has it!

#2331 3 years ago
#2332 3 years ago

There are so many toys coming up in the thread that I am starting to feel like I got cheated when I was growing up.

#2333 3 years ago
Quoted from mtn-:

Nice one! I would love if you could scan that pinball article and email me.. I dont think I could ever track down a 1972 issue of Playboy in Norway just to read that article.

I just posted snapshots of the whole article over in Dennis' pinball in old magazines thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-articles-in-old-magazines-and-newspapers/page/3#post-5917927

#2334 3 years ago

Im almost done! Some 37 Bins of Toys! Throwing away whats gone, cleaning up, checking batteries.
Its a collection of around 10 kids in my family, they ended up all here when they moved.
Heres one we played all summer!

And My sons Favorite.
Jake the Snake, from (Snake Farm)

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#2335 3 years ago

We used to play 162 game seasons and keep stats for all players growing up.

483684F2-1DF9-4D34-AA84-1F1E797A0904 (resized).jpeg483684F2-1DF9-4D34-AA84-1F1E797A0904 (resized).jpeg
#2336 3 years ago

When I was very young, I had a collection of a couple dozen of these empty Soaky bubble bath bottle toys all crammed onto a window ledge above the family bathtub. I’m sure they’d be worth some money today, since they all got thrown out.

91837811-3DD0-4352-B067-8546D93E5299 (resized).jpeg91837811-3DD0-4352-B067-8546D93E5299 (resized).jpeg
#2337 3 years ago

Screwball Scramble/Run Yourself Ragged/SNAFU, I believe this one is the variant I had. Like Mouse Trap without the board game getting in the way of the action.

snafu-maze-game-1991_1_df79604c1ffb1438356fcf0666a0327f (resized).jpgsnafu-maze-game-1991_1_df79604c1ffb1438356fcf0666a0327f (resized).jpg
#2339 3 years ago
Quoted from VanishingVision:

Screwball Scramble/Run Yourself Ragged/SNAFU, I believe this one is the variant I had. Like Mouse Trap without the board game getting in the way of the action.
[quoted image]

Now we need to find its twin called FUBAR.

#2340 3 years ago

Too much deja vu for me here.
I just pulled Snafu out yesterday, and started cleaning this morning! Here's another in the genre...of course I have more!

#2341 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Too much deja vu for me here.
I just pulled Snafu out yesterday, and started cleaning this morning! Here's another in the genre...of course I have more!
[quoted image]

I am a child of the 50s. All of our toys were still made of metal. Plastics started coming on in the 60s. The dimestores were loaded up with plastic flowers. And then plastics took off and every thing was being made of plastic.

And truth be told , there is no way many of these games would have existed if it were not for plastic.

#2342 3 years ago

So True. My earliest toys were metal hand me downs from the 30s to 50s.
I don't have any left, as they rusted from outdoor play, and tossed.
I do find how different plastics and rubber
have decayed. Some get yellowed, brittle, or gummy, and need to be tossed.
Some metal cameras from the 80s. The rubber is just worthless.
But even Tut had his toys.
Sennet....from 3500ish years ago.

Reminds me of my college days and Bong gammon.

#2343 3 years ago

I got this Toon-A-Vision toy from a Ben Franklin dime store while on vacation in the early Sixties. Looked cool at first, but what a dud! Fun to play with for a few minutes, then... meh.

714C905D-FAEA-434E-BAFF-AB3707D7F8E0 (resized).jpeg714C905D-FAEA-434E-BAFF-AB3707D7F8E0 (resized).jpeg
#2344 3 years ago

I had fun on trips playing Auto Bingo in the car with my sisters. Although, the games would’ve been over a lot faster if we had the “Real Life Travel Bingo” cards back then.

B3D681D8-8483-40B7-B2AB-680075DC9877 (resized).jpegB3D681D8-8483-40B7-B2AB-680075DC9877 (resized).jpeg901634E5-0E56-4635-95B5-DEA0351F74A3 (resized).jpeg901634E5-0E56-4635-95B5-DEA0351F74A3 (resized).jpeg
#2345 3 years ago

My brother's but when he wasn't home he did have better toys than I did.

Hugo Man of 1000 Faces

Stretch Armstrong

Sorry tried adding pictures but when I drag them it takes the whole page for some reason. Years ago it just took the picture.

#2346 3 years ago
image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg
#2347 3 years ago

with segrelles art.

#2348 3 years ago
e17c8f2d-50a3-4aa9-b24a-e2564bc43e0b_1.ae760f9e0c64c1ec5e3fa864a053e488 (resized).jpege17c8f2d-50a3-4aa9-b24a-e2564bc43e0b_1.ae760f9e0c64c1ec5e3fa864a053e488 (resized).jpeg
#2349 3 years ago

Big Loader from Tomy. Quite clever, the chassis would move along and attach/detach itself to the different truck bodies to scoop and dump little black marbles through the chutes. There was a larger set called Big Big Loader as well, and I believe you could connect the two of them.

bigloader (resized).jpgbigloader (resized).jpg
#2350 3 years ago
Quoted from VanishingVision:

Big Loader from Tomy. Quite clever, the chassis would move along and attach/detach itself to the different truck bodies to scoop and dump little black marbles through the chutes. There was a larger set called Big Big Loader as well, and I believe you could connect the two of them.
[quoted image]

I have (Had) this set, it was a hand me down for my daughter. She’s grown out of it so it may have been passed along to the next kid. Only difference is that it’s themed Thomas the train

3C438F0C-75B9-4C89-B9D8-7F58FB6C60E1 (resized).jpeg3C438F0C-75B9-4C89-B9D8-7F58FB6C60E1 (resized).jpeg
There are 9,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 47 of 196.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-were-your-favorite-childhood-toys/page/47?hl=vanishingvision and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.