shot0030 (resized).png
7c12510a8e5f1a58d025bdd0dc5117bc (resized).jpg
Dip+a+flower (resized).jpg
Cap n Crunch sub toy (resized).jpg
diving sub (resized).jpg
Rice Krispies sub toy (resized).jpg
f890af8a42f259126904798df6acb92a (resized).jpg
MD Transformers (resized).jpg

There are 9,736 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 195.
#1701 4 years ago

I was talking with friend on phone saying that I had bought a few bikes lately and was probably going to sell my apple krate. The look from my granddaughter ended that thought. She likes the red apple krate more than the other more rare grey ghost krate. I have a blast riding the grey ghost as its seat was reconditioned by a known restorer while the red one has a new but uncomfortable for me seat. Been living with granddaughter for about 5 years now. Most fun ever. Her and a friend on the bikes.

20191207_081156 (resized).jpg20191207_081156 (resized).jpg20191207_081209 (resized).jpg20191207_081209 (resized).jpg
#1702 4 years ago

Who here is old enough to have had the old metal Tonka trucks?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1703 4 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Who here is old enough to have had the old metal Tonka trucks?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

those, a sand box and a warm summer day equaled many, many day's worth of fun

#1704 4 years ago

Who here is old enough to have had the old metal Tonka trucks?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

My mom has a favorite story she likes to tell about me. When I was 3 or 4 she made a deal with me that I could get one of those steel dump trucks if I used the bathroom consistently. Apparently i was difficult to potty train and had frequent accidents.

I did well, got the truck...and destroyed it within weeks. I loved taking apart toys to see how they worked. She thought the steel would be my match, proved her wrong. They were pissed at me and surprised that I was able to break it.

#1705 4 years ago

My neighbor had one of these when I was a kid. I wasn't allowed to ride it.
Picked one up a few years ago. The seller said "your kid is going to love it"....I said " I don't have a kid. lol"

So, I ride this around the neighborhood. The adults think I'm a dork and the kids think I'm cool.

Z50 (resized).jpgZ50 (resized).jpg
#1706 4 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

You asking about the Game Gear??

Lynx

#1707 4 years ago

I can still mimic heavy construction noise while pushing those around.

#1708 4 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I loved taking apart toys to see how they worked.

...I took everything apart as a kid and rarely reassembled anything. I still owe my father a couple of watches.

#1709 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

My neighbor had one of these when I was a kid. I wasn't allowed to ride it.
Picked one up a few years ago. The seller said "your kid is going to love it"....I said " I don't have a kid. lol"
So, I ride this around the neighborhood. The adults think I'm a dork and the kids think I'm cool.[quoted image]

check out my past posts for my honda SL70 restoration
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-were-your-favorite-childhood-toys/page/24#post-3808076

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-were-your-favorite-childhood-toys/page/25#post-3816563

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-were-your-favorite-childhood-toys/page/25#post-3879105

#1711 4 years ago

I loved my Stingray Bike in the 60s!

However, Ill show my age. I started young on a childs bike like this....It was my uncles, second or third
hand that I found in their basement.

Could you imagine these today on the streets again!?!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1712 4 years ago

Found a closer pic....

#1713 4 years ago

I loved taking apart toys to see how they worked.

Me too... My sister was pissed because I wanted to know how the pull-string mechanisms worked
inside her talking dolls. So... into my dads vice goes the dolls and crunch/snap/pop goes the body and all the little
parts come out all over the place...

#1714 4 years ago

Good times.

! plumbing-mistakes-05-0413-lgn1 (resized).jpg! plumbing-mistakes-05-0413-lgn1 (resized).jpg
#1715 4 years ago

In high school we use to put the tail of the tissue roll into the bowl, flush, and watch the dispenser roll spin.

#1716 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

In high school we use to put the tail of the tissue roll into the bowl, flush, and watch the dispenser roll spin.

I still do that.

#1717 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Good times.[quoted image]

I remember my buddy always tying string to lego figures and flushing....called them all diver dans.

Pretty disgusting to be pulling back out now that I think about it. Lol.

#1718 4 years ago

Dont know if I posted this, but no idea what was in this!!
We did however pour a bit down a toilet, and the bowl glowed in the dark for
like the next 7 years!!!

#1719 4 years ago

I have a scar on my nose from tripping and falling onto my Tonka truck some 45 years ago.

#1720 4 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

I remember my buddy always tying string to lego figures and flushing....called them all diver dans.
Pretty disgusting to be pulling back out now that I think about it. Lol.

I found this on the internet

gi_joe (resized).jpggi_joe (resized).jpg
#1721 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I found this on the internet[quoted image]

Well....probably less embarrassing to wind up being something to explain to a plumber VS a proctologist

#1722 4 years ago

We have a bunch around our yard. Wife likes to buy them at yard sales when they're under $10

20191211_132937.jpg20191211_132937.jpg
#1723 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Could you imagine these today on the streets again!?!

Actually, yes! There's an older gentleman near here who rides one of those things around all the time, I see him at least a few times a week and he's been doing it for decades. Obviously not as old as the bike in your pic but I have no idea how someone his age even gets ON the damn thing.

#1724 4 years ago

I'd bet I'm not the only person in here who was obsessed with these things while growing up in the 70's:

Wizzzer (resized).jpgWizzzer (resized).jpg
#1725 4 years ago
Quoted from Agent57:

the only person in here who was obsessed with these things

Now there’s the truth.

#1726 4 years ago

My mom has a favorite story she likes to tell about me. When I was 3 or 4 she made a deal with me that I could get one of those steel dump trucks if I used the bathroom consistently. Apparently i was difficult to potty train and had frequent accidents.

I did well, got the truck...

My Mother often told how I got my first truck. I was about 2.

My cousin Melvin, a lot older and bigger than me. Had dolls, easy bake oven, all kinds of girl toys. My Grandmother was baby sitting me and when my mother picked me up my Grandmother told her it was pretty soon time to get me a doll.

This is the part where I really love my Mother. She screamed that I'd never have a doll. That I'll have trucks. We stopped on the way home and got me my first truck.

No idea what it was. Or what happened to it. I know if forever endeared me to my Mother.

LTG : )
Disclaimer : When I was about 8 years old I attacked Melvin, who at that time was a lot older and bigger than me. The old man gave me the beating of my life. Seems he had an issue that it was Melvin, he was teaching summer bible school, and it was in church. To this day all I know is that I whaled on his ass and it was worth it.

#1727 4 years ago
Quoted from Agent57:

I'd bet I'm not the only person in here who was obsessed with these things while growing up in the 70's:[quoted image]

Whizzers Meant the World to me!
All the cub scouts in our pack, would battle, trade, collect them!

#1728 4 years ago

one of my favorites

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1729 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Whizzers Meant the World to me!
All the cub scouts in our pack, would battle, trade, collect them!

Thanks for the video, learned something new today. Agent57 nothing by my comment just having a little fun and was obviously wrong.

#1730 4 years ago
Quoted from jamesmc:

1969 Apple Krate that was restored 20 plus years ago. These were fun to ride as a kid. Fun to ride today at Newport and Carlsbad beach bike trails as long as it's a few mile ride. I'm 6'2" but still have fun with it.[quoted image]

Oh did I ever envy my friends that had a Schwinn Sting-Ray bicycle and the 5-speeds with the big shifter knob were the most desired. On a side note you definitely wouldn't want to fall forward onto the shifter knob as that could potentially be very painful.

Whoever restored this did a beautiful job on this Schwinn classic.

https://bikehistory.org/bikes/krates/

Gord

#1731 4 years ago
Quoted from bssbllr:

Thanks for the video, learned something new today. agent57 nothing by my comment just having a little fun and was obviously wrong.

No worries, man, it's all good.

#1732 4 years ago

This has come back....

#1733 4 years ago

Still have at least two of mine in My parents house garage somewhere.

#1734 4 years ago

I did well, got the truck...and destroyed it within weeks. I loved taking apart toys to see how they worked. She thought the steel would be my match, proved her wrong. They were pissed at me and surprised that I was able to break it.

This is the first time I have ever heard about anybody destroying a Tonka truck.

#1735 4 years ago

Had a blast on this thing.

6171AA9B-5BE6-4A9B-8906-160EA699C94C (resized).jpeg6171AA9B-5BE6-4A9B-8906-160EA699C94C (resized).jpeg
#1736 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I loved my Stingray Bike in the 60s!
However, Ill show my age. I started young on a childs bike like this....It was my uncles, second or third
hand that I found in their basement.
Could you imagine these today on the streets again!?![quoted image]

You got me to looking around. Those bikes are called Penny-Farthings. I never knew they had a name. And you can buy them brand spanking new, too. But I think I'll pass.

https://www.unicycle.com/unicycle-com-50-mk4-penny-farthing-black-black/

pennyUDC4BLK__67639.1526481586 (resized).jpgpennyUDC4BLK__67639.1526481586 (resized).jpg

#1737 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

This is the first time I have ever heard about anybody destroying a Tonka truck.

That's what I said. Hell, we used to sit on ours and roll down hills, sometimes two of us at a time on the dump truck. Never even bent an axle lol

#1738 4 years ago

Neighborhood kid where I grew up in Minneapolis had an upside down bike that I use to borrow whenever I could. The bike frame is flipped as you can see in the pictures and it really got a kid high up off the street. You had to jump off when completely stopped and caused a lot of attention from onlookers as you rode by.

Plenty of information on the internet on how to build one from an old abandoned bike if you have interest.
8437a284d6291fe4b0630a10d205fdb1 (resized).jpg8437a284d6291fe4b0630a10d205fdb1 (resized).jpgemlbcywq4a321 (resized).jpgemlbcywq4a321 (resized).jpg

#1739 4 years ago

Tall bikes are great for jousting...

#1740 4 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Tall bikes are great for jousting...

Alcohol may have been involved.

#1741 4 years ago
91DABthhL1L._SX425_ (resized).jpg91DABthhL1L._SX425_ (resized).jpg
#1742 4 years ago

I was born in 78 and have had way to many favorite toys to name them all. In my late 20's I started to collect the toys that I used to have but were long gone, then suddenly it exploded into collecting a little bit of everything like TMNT, He-man, Joe's, Transformers, etc. But there has always been one single toy that was and always will be my favorite, Galoob Micro Machines. I've been obsessed with cars since before I could walk, so almost everything that I played with was toy related, but when 1987 came around that changed everything. Micro Machines debuted and another obsession began, the details, the size, there was nothing else like them. Fast forward to now and I still collect them along with my youngest child who loves them as much as I did at her age. Every once in awhile I'll get down in the floor with her and we'll build a few playsets to make a massive city. We've got hundreds of sealed packs, playsets, and thousands of loose vehicles. You name it we may have it.
20191212_222320 (resized).jpg20191212_222320 (resized).jpg20191212_222340 (resized).jpg20191212_222340 (resized).jpg20191212_222413 (resized).jpg20191212_222413 (resized).jpg20191212_222541 (resized).jpg20191212_222541 (resized).jpg20191212_222617 (resized).jpg20191212_222617 (resized).jpg20191212_222717 (resized).jpg20191212_222717 (resized).jpg20191212_222930 (resized).jpg20191212_222930 (resized).jpg

20191212_223054 (resized).jpg20191212_223054 (resized).jpg20191212_223224 (resized).jpg20191212_223224 (resized).jpg20191212_222210 (resized).jpg20191212_222210 (resized).jpg
#1743 4 years ago

Too bad you can't display all those cool toys. I never got into the toys but loved micro machines on the nes

index.jpgindex.jpg
#1744 4 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

I was born in 78 and have had way to many favorite toys to name them all. In my late 20's I started to collect the toys that I used to have but were long gone, then suddenly it exploded into collecting a little bit of everything like TMNT, He-man, Joe's, Transformers, etc. But there has always been one single toy that was and always will be my favorite, Galoob Micro Machines. I've been obsessed with cars since before I could walk, so almost everything that I played with was toy related, but when 1987 came around that changed everything. Micro Machines debuted and another obsession began, the details, the size, there was nothing else like them. Fast forward to now and I still collect them along with my youngest child who loves them as much as I did at her age. Every once in awhile I'll get down in the floor with her and we'll build a few playsets to make a massive city. We've got hundreds of sealed packs, playsets, and thousands of loose vehicles. You name it we may have it.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I read that Micro Machines are returning in 2020. They're licensed to a new manufacturer, but hopefully they're good. All the ones I had are long lost. I think I could get my daughter into them.

#1745 4 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Too bad you can't display all those cool toys. I never got into the toys but loved micro machines on the nes[quoted image]

Yeah I've been building custom shelving units and buying up old retail display cases because I have a ton more toys in storage. I have that game sealed somewhere, it was a blast. I'd love to see a modern reboot of this original game, the most recent ones weren't very good.

#1746 4 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

I read that Micro Machines are returning in 2020. They're licensed to a new manufacturer, but hopefully they're good. All the ones I had are long lost. I think I could get my daughter into them.

It's true. We'll see what happens this time around. When Hasbro bought the line from Galoob it went downhill from there and they ran it into the ground. That was when I stopped buying them in stores around 1998-99

#1747 4 years ago

Quick old man story about toys.....I love them!

As a child in the 60s, I felt everything revolved around my toys!
I would get hand me downs from older relatives, Id garage sale with my Mother, and Id swap, and sell/buy with friends.
I kept whatever I could that my Mom wouldnt toss.

Fast Forward to my kids being young, and Ebay being only 3 pages long. I worked early on with Pierre and Margaret real early and Ebay was the place to restock my childhood toys and ones I dint get for my children. Early on, everything was only a couple dollars.

The Kids are grown and I have bins of these games, and last year I was getting ready to unload them all.
Then this year, I had my first Grandchild, so they are all staying to share with her!

My Holiday gifts to family, and friends, all adults has always been to share a toy as a gift.
In fact, I ramble on that this Holiday the ONLY presents should be toys to all Adults, and we all take a week off to play with them!!!

#1748 4 years ago

My 1964 Christmas present. Great fun. (Not my photo) Video link:

#1749 4 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

My 1964 Christmas present. Great fun. (Not my photo) Video link:
[quoted image]

That has some awesomeness to it.

#1750 4 years ago

There is a nicely made website called wishbookweb that is compiling scans of the old Sears wish book catalogs. The scan quality is very good. It’s interesting to look through the old stuff and the pages are packed with pictures of the old toys.

http://www.wishbookweb.com/the-catalogs/

There are 9,736 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 195.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-were-your-favorite-childhood-toys/page/35?hl=iamdrunker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.