Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 12.06.58 PM (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
b&d (resized).png
D92DDE8B-051C-45BF-AC31-10E266552B92 (resized).jpeg
624D293A-2B30-4744-B54F-DBA7FF921935 (resized).jpeg
10014CFE-52CC-447C-B683-03A3A2362E6C (resized).jpeg
88c0a5f1-2e92-42dc-84c3-33fd7f3029eb_text.gif
1 8jWq6GW6i1Ickzr7CAmTuA (resized).jpeg

There are 7,695 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 154.
#1401 2 years ago

I was born the same year (1978) and I remember my older brother had one for a short period. Maybe he borrowed it from a buddy. Not sure.
I see a space explorer sold for $57 earlier this month on eBay!

I also picked these up for $1 each at the same sale. Can't wait to play some rocket hockey

20190630_073844.jpg20190630_073852.jpg
#1402 2 years ago

Cox gas powered Sandblaster !!

D70_3485-Edit (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg
#1403 2 years ago

Cap Guns! Remember how much fun they were?
Well, when you ran out of caps, it was awful!!!

This was my favorite! Rolled up strips of Paper, newspaper.....endless Fire Power!

Id love to reintroduce this type of product. They also came in the form of Bang Sticks!

#1404 2 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Picked these up from a yard sale yesterday for $3 each. I've been hunting for a Simon for a while now but this radio shack ARCADE will hold me over and I'm a sucker for handheld arcades. The Tandy Space Explorer is a dig dug clone. Both have empty and clean battery compartments so when I get some C batteries hopefully they still work.
[quoted image]

I'm a sucker for those Simon clones.

We had this one, which was also purchased from Radio Shack

1_fa45a66e7a594be9dbbe16130c310026 (resized).jpg
#1405 2 years ago
Quoted from BigalzPinz:

Cox gas powered Sandblaster !![quoted image][quoted image]

Had one of those. Do not have any clue why my dad bought it. It has a significant flaw, it was not remotely controlled. The front wheels has either 3 or 5 steering positions. On straight, the car would go until it hit something or ran out of fuel, I hated chasing it.

#1406 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Cap Guns! Remember how much fun they were?
Well, when you ran out of caps, it was awful!!!
This was my favorite! Rolled up strips of Paper, newspaper.....endless Fire Power!
Id love to reintroduce this type of product. They also came in the form of Bang Sticks!
[quoted image]

And that smell was incredible! Smelled like a good time! My gun got left out and soaked. All done.

I had Star Wars backup toys and a 10 speed bike, so plenty to keep me busy.

#1407 2 years ago

I had the Cox gas powered van and the P51 Mustang. You were supposed to run them tethered, but yeah, I let mine loose, too. They did not survive my childhood, so I had to find pix on the 'net.

iu (resized).jpegiu-1 (resized).jpeg
#1408 2 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

I had the Cox gas powered van and the P51 Mustang. You were supposed to run them tethered, but yeah, I let mine loose, too. They did not survive my childhood, so I had to find pix on the 'net.[quoted image][quoted image]

My brother had a Cox Stuka. Lasted about 4 seconds after it took off. What kills me is that the fuel would melt the plastic that the plane was made of.

#1409 2 years ago

i recently cleaned out my mom's attic and found a lot of cool stuff!
Mighty Max and Dino-Riders brought back sweet memories, i loved this stuff growing up.
I had some more WWF Superstars, only the Hulkster and Jake The Snake Roberts were left but i found a polaroid from the early nineties, that's me mighty proud with The Snake

B1A4C1D6-AD95-4459-8A6F-402B5F9B63D0 (resized).jpegA75272C1-2099-411C-AFB7-FE58C50B11E2 (resized).jpeg68DD655E-A6D6-4263-AA23-027A5D0E09A5 (resized).jpeg772224D3-64BE-4DF2-8FA8-55B06392B510 (resized).jpeg
#1410 2 years ago

I had several of the cox planes. They were great.

We lived right across from my elementary school and they had a HUGE field/playground right across the street. One night we were eating supper and somebody knocked on the door. It was 2 kids said "can we get our UFO out of your pool?" I had to have one of them after I saw it.

IMG_5299 (resized).JPG
#1411 2 years ago
image (resized).jpeg
#1412 2 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

I had several of the cox planes. They were great.
We lived right across from my elementary school and they had a HUGE field/playground right across the street. One night we were eating supper and somebody knocked on the door. It was 2 kids said "can we get our UFO out of your pool?" I had to have one of them after I saw it.[quoted image]

Older brother had one of those...thing was nuts. I think I still have the engine from it, not sure what happened to the body...

I had a later cox engine type tether plane that was like a jet fighter shape I think it was.

Makes my finger tips hurt just remembering winding that thing.

#1413 2 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

I had the Cox gas powered van and the P51 Mustang. You were supposed to run them tethered, but yeah, I let mine loose, too. They did not survive my childhood, so I had to find pix on the 'net.[quoted image][quoted image]

I got this same Cox gas powered plane by selling greeting cards from an ad in the back of Boys Life mag. A few flights and Kapow!

#1414 2 years ago

I got grounded a few times for playing with these.
zzzz1234 Final (resized).png

#1415 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

[quoted image]

Fun to hit with hammer... like a giant roll of caps all at once

Kids, don't try this at home.
SERIOUSLY, if you did, wear gloves,safety glasses, and HEARING protection!

#1416 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

[quoted image]

My brother would take our dads matches and use some lighter fluid and burn his and mine
plastic car models. I had an Aurora "Witch" model and of course he had to "burn the witch".

#1418 2 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

Quoted from vec-tor:

My brother would take our dads matches and use some lighter fluid and burn his and mine
plastic car models. I had an Aurora "Witch" model and of course he had to "burn the witch".

Well we put lighter fluid on Caps, AND THEN hit them with a Hammer!

#1419 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Well we put lighter fluid on Caps, AND THEN hit them with a Hammer!

While smoking a cig! I knew your profile pic was you as a kid

#1420 2 years ago

Yes, I was a childhood Pyro! I set a few things on fire like my desk, and the bathroom sink.
But Caps, and Fireworks! They were king! Blowing up Models, Oranges, Toys!......

I was selling Fireworks from 16-21. Lots of Trouble!

Happy 4th of July!
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1421 2 years ago
268896cbb00d2f0b44c60669fe0b65af47b85e (resized).jpg
#1422 2 years ago

I remember taking a whole stack of boxes of those snapper things, undoing them, piling it all up together, then twisting it up in a big piece of tissue paper or something!

Did a medium one and it went bang prettt cool....so did a BIG ass one....

As I twisted it together, it went off, numbed finger tips, left black marks on my desk, and I had to check my pants....

Last time I did uncontrolled dumb stuff like that......for a while

#1423 2 years ago

Launching Tin Cans out of the can with water, was always fun.

can (resized).JPG
#1424 2 years ago

I remember my brother had some black plastic 57 Chevy type body car with a cox (or similar) motor on it set up with that straight/left/right kinda steering where it smashed or ran out of fuel....wish I knew what happened to that. Or at least remembered more about it.

Fun toys.....fun danger. Lol

#1425 2 years ago
Quoted from ShinyBall:

Launching Tin Cans out of the can with water, was always fun.[quoted image]

Do tell!

#1426 2 years ago

We made home made tennis ball cannons. Then you fire them off with lighter fluid. They would probably travel a couple hundred feet into the air.

#1427 2 years ago
Quoted from ShinyBall:

Launching Tin Cans out of the can with water, was always fun.[quoted image]

We used to launch tin cans. But I never saw this water trick. I might have to go buy some firecrackers and check this out

#1428 2 years ago

i would cut a 3' long x 3" wide strip of corrugated cardboard, attach it between two stakes.
Load in 144 whistling bottle rockets with report as possible.
Light a sparkler to touch off the fuses.

mmon 002 (resized).JPG
#1429 2 years ago
Quoted from Captainhook:

We made home made tennis ball cannons. Then you fire them off with lighter fluid. They would probably travel a couple hundred feet into the air.

So did we. We called them goose guns.

Gord

#1430 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

We used to launch tin cans. But I never saw this water trick. I might have to go buy some firecrackers and check this out

#1431 2 years ago

OK, So who had bottle Rocket Fights as a Kid around the 4th of July?

#1432 2 years ago

Does anyone remember Jumping Jacks? We used to go down to the dock and light them, wait a second, and throw them into the water. They’d ignite just before going under. Then they would shoot out of the water and bounce several times off of the water’s surface. You never knew if they were going to come right back at you. It was a rush!

#1433 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Oh yea. When they had the paper fuses not the thick green ones like today. We would stick a dozen in a pipe and light em up. The ones shooting out would light the others.

#1434 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

We used to launch the them from a hollow metal broom handle using the broom
Side As the stock of the gun. Thank goodness we didn’t shoot their eyes out.

#1435 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

We eventually progressed to roman candles.

In our late teens my brother used his high school welding skills to makshift a ghetto looking rocket launcher out of some old round stock. Launched mortars a good 100 yards in any pointed direction. I'm sure the neighbors were thrilled.

#1436 2 years ago

I still have this. We used to play with these a lot.

greenbronco (resized).jpg
#1437 2 years ago
Quoted from WolfManCat:

We eventually progressed to roman candles.
In our late teens my brother used his high school welding skills to makshift a ghetto looking rocket launcher out of some old round stock. Launched mortars a good 100 yards in any pointed direction. I'm sure the neighbors were thrilled.

This was not in my child hood and it could probably be classed as a weapon more than a toy, but at a party in the country with lots of space and distant targets (and a few beers) a potato gun can be quite fun. And in some places...illegal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato_cannon

#1438 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

We did. Looking back, firing bottle rockets and throwing dirt clods was great fun. Around construction sites, dirt clods were plentiful, free, and tempting targets were everywhere.

#1439 2 years ago

Anyone remember this little guy, the wind up bowling ball?

1B41375C-0F55-4BFB-8D34-2EA86F72A6A9 (resized).jpegFE578EF9-8A28-4788-BF7C-1E58610C6C1F (resized).jpeg
#1440 2 years ago

I still have a Strolling Bowling....it was a favorite of my father.
Look forward to sharing Bins of old Toys with my Granddaughter.

#1441 2 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

I remember when caps were CAPS. Then all of a sudden they took like half the powder out and they sucked.

#1442 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Boy did we ever, I used my Remco bazooka to launch them. Got a lot of small powder burns on my face. LOL

#1443 2 years ago

This one, Paul? Good choice!

We went from Bottle Rockets, to Roman candles, to Flashing Thunder, until we caught a Car on Fire!
Brooklyn was a War Zone!

Here is another favorite of mine! Time Bomb!
I remember bringing it on our first Plane trip, and playing with it on the Plane.

Think that would work today?

#1444 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

We went from Bottle Rockets, to Roman candles, to Flashing Thunder, until we caught a Car on Fire!
Brooklyn was a War Zone!
I remember bringing it on our first Plane trip, and playing with it on the Plane.
[quoted image]

I had that Remco bazooka and the mortor and a battery operated 50 cal machine gun.

#1445 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

We did. Looking back, firing bottle rockets and throwing dirt clods was great fun. Around construction sites, dirt clods were plentiful, free, and tempting targets were everywhere.

So, you build forts and have dirt clod fights? Sort of like snow balls fights but a little more intense? Didn't cost any money to play. But lucky to be alive. Yeah.

#1446 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Brooklyn was a War Zone!
[quoted image]

I forgot all about Time Bomb.

#1447 2 years ago

It pleases me that this thread is still bouncing along after three plus years and I thank everyone for contributing to it. Fun memories for certain.

Slightly off topic but not too much, is a memory I have of a kid in the 7th grade who shaved his eyebrows off. Last I saw him at the end of the school year, it still had only partially grown back.
Picture stolen from the internet so I guess he wasn't the only one. LOL

zzzzmaxresdefault (resized).jpg
#1448 2 years ago

We also had a neighbor kid that would swallow anything.

zzzz1 SMALL Untitled (resized).png
#1449 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

It pleases me that this thread is still bouncing along after three plus years and I thank everyone for contributing to it. Fun memories for certain.
Slightly off topic but not too much, is a memory I have of a kid in the 7th grade who shaved his eyebrows off. Last I saw him at the end of the school year, it still had only partially grown back.
Picture stolen from the internet so I guess he wasn't the only one. LOL[quoted image]

My grandfather did that to his eyebrows with his Norelco electric razor. He shaved them off half-way, leaving the inner half. They never grew back so he forever had these eyebrows that looked like Hitler's moustashe.

#1450 2 years ago

Game & Watch, Speak & Spell

maxresdefault2 (resized).jpg800px-TI_SpeakSpell_no_shadow (resized).jpg
There are 7,695 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 154.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!