BagofGlass (resized).jpg
434599499_10228561822663909_2493513439072746909_n (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2024-03-30 at 7.43.04 PM (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Big Chief pad (resized).png
stfu.gif
speedy-gonzales-movie-donald-trump (resized).jpg
IMG_4109 (resized).JPG
There are 9,757 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 196.
#1301 6 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

kinda like when I was a kid and we played "chicken" with Lawn Darts!
Yikes! Were we stupid!

So how many people, as kids, shot a arrow up in the air and then rand for it. Stupid yes, but it was fun. Also when I was a kid we never thought about seat belts. I rode on the arm rest that folded down in the front seat and when I was too big for that I would often ride up in the back deck lid. Every time the driver slammed on the breaks I would fly down and hit the back of the front seat. Good times.

#1302 6 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

So how many people, as kids, shot a arrow up in the air and then rand for it. Stupid yes, but it was fun.

Yes to the arrow.

We also used a fairly powerful sling shot with the most point, jagged rocks we could find.

#1303 6 years ago

Funny story. My kids had a water balloon launcher which was a giant slingshot that two people held and one person pulled it back to fire the balloons. We took it to the beach and were launching water balloons on the beach. They went almost further than you could see. I pulled it back and fired and watched in horror as it hit a woman in the face. Then I watched as her husband got up and walked all the way to us and chewed my ass out. I had to stand there and eat it and apologize because I knew that it I was in the wrong.

#1304 6 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

So how many people, as kids, shot a arrow up in the air and then rand for it. Stupid yes, but it was fun. Also when I was a kid we never thought about seat belts. I rode on the arm rest that folded down in the front seat and when I was too big for that I would often ride up in the back deck lid. Every time the driver slammed on the breaks I would fly down and hit the back of the front seat. Good times.

Oh yeah, we put many holes in the shingles of a friends garage.

#1305 6 years ago
Quoted from mac622:

A couple of good ones not mentioned yet:

I had a “Real ghostbusters” version of Which Witch when I was a kid - goes for hundreds on eBay now. We found one called “Haunted Mansion” or something about a year ago. I’m the only one who likes to play it .. lol

#1306 6 years ago

there was a game on kijiji called naked checkers for sale on kijiji recently.

#1307 6 years ago

M-80’s & blockbusters put inside the toys I didn’t like

#1308 6 years ago

We used to put spray cans in a fire then run for cover behind a big tree.

#1309 6 years ago
Quoted from mac622:

A couple of good ones not mentioned yet:

Those rubber drum covers on our Bing Bang Boing didn't last very long.

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Theres even a Homestead Mushroom Growing Kit from the 70s!

I can confirm that kit worked very well!

#1310 6 years ago

Manglors!

manglor-mountain (resized).jpgmanglor-mountain (resized).jpg

#1312 6 years ago

Playing with lawn darts doesn't seem so stupid anymore compared to what kids play with now a days...

29906170001_5708350127001_5708320914001-vs (resized).jpg29906170001_5708350127001_5708320914001-vs (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#1313 6 years ago

And I still collect them to this very day. My kids love them too.

016 (resized).jpg016 (resized).jpg

91jSqhaWEhL._SX355_ (resized).jpg91jSqhaWEhL._SX355_ (resized).jpg

#1314 6 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Used to LOVE this thing...

Had one along with Orange Blossom and the pulling sled

#1315 6 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

And I still collect them to this very day. My kids love them too.

Wow. I remember the ads.

#1316 6 years ago

My childhood was filled with cool toys: (all categorized now as vintage):

Rocking horse with springs

Tricycle with badass vroom motor mounted on handle bars (making it sound like a phony motorcycle)

LiteBrite

Tonka trucks

Etch A Sketch

Army uniform

GI Joe's

Cap guns

Schwinn banana seat with shifter nob and sissy bar (for popping wheelies)

Comics - Archie & Gang, Richie Rich, and war comics like Sgt Rock - later fueling my interest in Mad magazine

S&H greenstamps

Bubblegum monster trading cards

Fire crackers and M-80's

Metal Wilson T2000 - first non-wood racket and it was endorsed by Jimmy Connors

Any frisbee was acceptable as long as it weighted 175 grams

Connelly slalom water skis

Atomic racing skis

Soccer ball

Cannon AE-1 camera

Atari 2600 game cartridges

Peugeot 10-speed bike

Stereo with BIG speakers

Rock concerts

and finally ....Pinball

RockingHorse (resized).jpgRockingHorse (resized).jpg
trike (resized).jpgtrike (resized).jpg
VRoom (resized).jpgVRoom (resized).jpg
LiteBrite (resized).jpgLiteBrite (resized).jpg
TonkaTrucks (resized).jpgTonkaTrucks (resized).jpg
EtchASketch (resized).jpgEtchASketch (resized).jpg
Army (resized).jpgArmy (resized).jpg
GIJoe (resized).jpgGIJoe (resized).jpg
Capgun (resized).jpgCapgun (resized).jpg
Schwinn (resized).jpgSchwinn (resized).jpg
Archie (resized).jpgArchie (resized).jpg
RichieRich (resized).jpgRichieRich (resized).jpg
SgtRock (resized).jpgSgtRock (resized).jpg
Mad (resized).jpgMad (resized).jpg
Greenstamps (resized).jpgGreenstamps (resized).jpg
MonsterCards (resized).jpgMonsterCards (resized).jpg
M-80 (resized).jpgM-80 (resized).jpg
T2000 (resized).jpgT2000 (resized).jpg
ConnellySlalom (resized).jpgConnellySlalom (resized).jpg
AtomicRaceSki (resized).jpgAtomicRaceSki (resized).jpg
Frisbee (resized).jpgFrisbee (resized).jpg
CannonAE-1 (resized).jpgCannonAE-1 (resized).jpg
Atari2600 (resized).pngAtari2600 (resized).png
soccerball (resized).jpgsoccerball (resized).jpg
Peugeot_10speed (resized).jpgPeugeot_10speed (resized).jpg
StereoCabinet (resized).jpgStereoCabinet (resized).jpg
Concerts (resized).jpgConcerts (resized).jpg
Centaur (resized).jpgCentaur (resized).jpg

#1317 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Bubblegum monster trading cards

Those monster trading cards were awesome......and so were the matching iron on t-shirts

#1318 6 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Snowballs made with a rock in the middle and then put into the freezer....

3 months later
#1319 5 years ago

Carefull the toppling toower game, each floor had a maze in it, follow the maze to get your piece out.
The bell on top would give warning, usually it was too late.
My sister would "cheat" by lifting the whole top floor off and remove a part from the third level!

Today we have Jenga

carefull (resized).jpgcarefull (resized).jpgcf2 (resized).jpgcf2 (resized).jpgxf3 (resized).jpgxf3 (resized).jpg
#1320 5 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Carefull the toppling toower game, each floor had a maze in it, follow the maze to get your piece out.
The bell on top would give warning, usually it was too late.
My sister would "cheat" by lifting the whole top floor off and remove a part from the third level!
Today we have Jenga

Ideal made great toys back then, never heard of that one though.

#1321 5 years ago

Vintage tin toys collection, from father and uncles heritage

IMG_0042.JPGIMG_0042.JPGIMG_0047.JPGIMG_0047.JPGIMG_0057.JPGIMG_0057.JPGIMG_0058.JPGIMG_0058.JPGIMG_0068.JPGIMG_0068.JPG
#1322 5 years ago
Quoted from Haggy38:

Vintage tin toys collection, from father and uncles heritage

WOW you have some serious money there. Super nice collection.

1 month later
#1324 5 years ago

So I went to a large collectibles estate auction yesterday. Mostly carnival glass and antique furniture. My 7hrs of standing around was rewarded when some toys came out. Paid $20.00 for all of them. Robie Sr lost a hand but all the battery compartments look clean. Going to hit the dollar store tomorrow for some C and D batteries.20180715_070726.jpg20180715_070726.jpg

Also really like this fireman clown. Made in 1989 by New Bright.20180715_070817.jpg20180715_070817.jpg

#1325 5 years ago

From the same auction. Paid a little too much ($10) but Sly's moobs makes it worth while.

20180715_071008.jpg20180715_071008.jpg20180715_071015.jpg20180715_071015.jpg20180715_071030.jpg20180715_071030.jpg
#1326 5 years ago

Can anyone help me figure out what this Yoda figure is? It has a soft rubber dog toy feel. About 8" tall. Has Lucas film 1981 stamped on it.

20180715_093219.jpg20180715_093219.jpg20180715_093243.jpg20180715_093243.jpg
#1328 5 years ago

The hockey games. Both the wooden paddled and hockey player versions.

They didn't last long as you know how competitive us kids get.

2agAUARjWDWX8whKfrhr0Q-small (resized).jpg2agAUARjWDWX8whKfrhr0Q-small (resized).jpg
#1330 5 years ago

Its a Yoda fleshlight

#1331 5 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Its a Yoda fleshlight

I know... You had to say it.

#1332 5 years ago

LOL for reals. I couldn't resist.

#1333 5 years ago

Yeah, those are fun. but nowhere near as fun as playing with Blue Chip stamps.
7d9f33274108e59613c5408452fd5d21 (resized).jpg7d9f33274108e59613c5408452fd5d21 (resized).jpg

#1334 5 years ago

E.T.s Finger

I don't have a picture..so you put it on/over your finger, press it against a surface, and it lights up.

#1335 5 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

E.T.s Finger
I don't have a picture..so you put it on/over your finger, press it against a surface, and it lights up.

That reminds me of this one, and I'm guessing 27 pages into this thread and it's the first time mentioned.

Put the bulb in your mouth and it magically lights up!

569e55bb424027198542f40b79adb51c-2 (resized).jpg569e55bb424027198542f40b79adb51c-2 (resized).jpg
#1336 5 years ago

We had a poor guy I used to work with years ago that looked just like uncle fester with a bald head and dark circles around his eyes. Guys used to leave light bulbs with his name on it laying around. He threatened to kill people over it and looking back I’m convinced he became depressed so he transferred and the same thing started all over again we heard cause he really did look just like him

#1337 5 years ago

I forgot about this board game: Aquire.

images (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg
images-1 (resized).jpgimages-1 (resized).jpg

#1338 5 years ago

I wonder if any kids ever choked on that metal ring it took to light up the Fester Bulb. I'm guessing none. We ate our iron like men.

#1339 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I forgot about this board game: Aquire.

Best board game ever!

#1340 5 years ago
Quoted from joemagiera:

Best board game ever!

How is it played? Never saw it....

#1341 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

It has been a lot of years.....Up to 6 players can start. You draw and play with tiles marked on a grid. A-1, A-2, D-4, etc You take turns to start laying down tiles in corresponding squares on the board. Tiles make companies. When it gets to the point where there is only one empty grid between two companies you lay down a merging tile and the larger number of tiles take over the smaller number of tiles. This is repeated until only one player is left who has taken everything. Each game will end in 1 hour to 1.5 hours.

And you can have some strange endings where the smallest player at the beginning will wind up taking all. You have to think about what you are doing. A little bit of luck and a lot of strategy.

I'm rusty and have left out a lot of details.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5/acquire

I guess you can play it online. Years ago I played Spades online so I don't see why not.

https://www.google.com/search?q=acquire%20game%20online&ved=0ahUKEwj3m6KDsbDcAhUPQK0KHcuCBx4QsKwBCEIoATAC&biw=1258&bih=903

#1342 5 years ago

Thanks! Sounds like a game I would have played!

#1343 5 years ago

This toy A team gun was a blast. https://goo.gl/images/npHTYT

#1344 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

It's a 2-6 player game, but the 2 player game is kind of lame, I wouldn't recommend it. You need 3-6. Says 90 minute play time, but we typically play in 45 minutes (then again, we are all very familiar with the game). The game has very little luck. There is just enough randomness to change the game from game to game.

In today's modern strategy games, you often have rules "manuals", 10 pages or more, even 20 pages. I play games with friends that have taken 45 minutes or more to just have one player go through the rules to explain to the others. The rules for Acquire are on one single sided page. Many board game people consider Sid Sackson one of the best game designers ever and also feel this was his best game.

The game involves laying tiles (drawn randomly by players) to start, grow, merge, up to 7 hotel chains. Players buy stock shares in any active hotel chain. You have a limited amount of money and have to consider your investment direction, based on how the hotels are growing. Every time a hotel gets bigger, it's worth more money. Every time two (or more) hotels merge, all players owning shares in the the hotel being taken over have three options; cash out, keep shares (in hopes the hotel chain gets started up again), or trade 2-for-1 to the surviving hotel. This is the crucial decision and goes a long way into determining the outcome. When a hotel gets large enough, it can no longer be taken over in a merger and will therefore be there at the end of the game.

You have the choice, based on the tiles you have drawn, which hotels to grow, which to merge, which to start.

What makes the game great is the constantly varying strategy. A decision that is best at one point in the game is a bad decision at another. There are several decision circumstances like that. You have to decide which is best based on the game progress at that time. The pieces you play and decisions you make constantly evolve over the course of the game and likewise, those same decisions other players make impact you and you need to respond properly to have a chance at winning.

There is no one best strategy, no one best right way to play. You have to evaluate each game based on the tiles you and others lay down and how the other players decisions impact your money and stock. Game can end when all hotels on the board are "safe" (can no longer be merged) or when any one hotel reaches a very large presence. That's even another great game item. They player himself determines when to call the end of the game. Just because all hotels are safe, the player on his turn can keep the game going. It's up to the next player if he wants to end the game or not, and so on.

It's a great game, I highly recommend it if you can get at least a 3 player game. It's one of those games this if/when you lose, it's difficult to blame it on luck, so you just get so aggravated that you just want to play again to prove your skill is good. It came out in 1962 by 3M and then by Avalon Hill and still survives today as a great strategy game. It comes in many versions. You can get new ones in the store/internet or on ebay. But I'd highly recommend an older version, anywhere from $10-$30 on ebay. Anything with this format type box:

ebay.com link: Vintage Acquire High Adventure in High Finance Board Game 1962 3M

ebay.com link: 1962 Acquire 3M Bookshelf Board Game Replacement Parts Cards Tiles Incomplete

Give it a try. Way too long of an answer and way too much information, I know.

Joe (joemagiera at ameritech dot net)
[email protected]

#1345 5 years ago

Don't know why they bothered making any other toys after this one was invented.

hoop.jpghoop.jpg
#1346 5 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

So I went to a large collectibles estate auction yesterday. Mostly carnival glass and antique furniture. My 7hrs of standing around was rewarded when some toys came out. Paid $20.00 for all of them. Robie Sr lost a hand but all the battery compartments look clean. Going to hit the dollar store tomorrow for some C and D batteries.
Also really like this fireman clown. Made in 1989 by New Bright.

Oh man, I had that little black robot on the right - "I am the amazing atomic robot. Please give my good wishes to everybody!"" and then it would roll around all crazy.

I have a video of my son at age 2 playing with that thing - he absolutely hated that the robot would drive around, and he picked it up, dropped it... broken. LOL. Had it for about 10 seconds.

#1347 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Oh man, I had that little black robot on the right - "I am the amazing atomic robot. Please give my good wishes to everybody!"" and then it would roll around all crazy.
I have a video of my son at age 2 playing with that thing - he absolutely hated that the robot would drive around, and he picked it up, dropped it... broken. LOL. Had it for about 10 seconds.

I'd say he was a bit to young to play with it.

#1348 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I'd say he was a bit to young to play with it.

You think? Haha

#1350 5 years ago

Best Action Figures ever made!! These are LJN WWF Wrestling Superstars. They were big heavy hunks of solid rubber, and they were awesome.

I'm working on retheming a pinball machine right now as a Wrestling Superstars machine to celebrate these figures.

Cool post here on why they were the best....

http://www.wewantinsanity.com/am2/publish/JGcolumns/10_Reasons_WWF_LJN_Figures_Were_The_Greatest.shtml

100_6336 (resized).JPG100_6336 (resized).JPG
There are 9,757 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 196.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-were-your-favorite-childhood-toys/page/27?hl=canoncitypb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.