BMX (resized).jpg
IMG_8115 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
Rat Tail 1980's (resized).jpg
7-11 1980;s (resized).jpg
7-11 arcade. (resized).jpg
7-11 arcade (resized).jpg
7-11 vintage. (resized).jpg
There are 9,972 posts in this topic. You are on page 199 of 200.
#9901 42 days ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

A couple of decades earlier we had Wacky Packs.
[quoted image]

I really liked the old Wacky Packages packs, but grew up with the garbage pail ones.

Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

I have boxes of unopened boxes of packs from the era I grew up in, the 1980’s

This is a great idea. I might get a couple more boxes of cheap cards to open whenever I have the urge to tear into a pack.

Quoted from Retro4Life:

Your post brought back a lot of memories. My father owned a baseball card shop from 81 to 94. I have opened many a wax pack to build sets before he started buying dealer cases direct from Topps, Fleer, Donruss, Score, etc. It was a great time to be a kid as I ran a comic book store within his shop. It's unfortunate the hobby tanked, but that is what happens when companies crank out ridiculous volume and the people buying them are no longer kids or hobbyists but investors who think their 89 Griffey rookie that had a gazillion printed with nearly every one of them being sleeved and shelved in climate controlled rooms all the while thinking it will be the next Aaron, Mantle, Rose, Ryan, or Seaver rookie card in the next 30 years. Everyone was convinced their retirement was secured.

….what do you mean my 89 Griffey isn’t priceless? Next thing you’ll be telling me is that the 1993 sealed black bag 1st edition copy of Death of Superman comic isn’t worth a mint either….lol. I remember people getting two copies so that they could leave one sealed and read the other.

I’ve been known to buy the occasional box of cards on a whim.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#9902 42 days ago
Quoted from mooch:

What’s your take on pouring milk over Jello?

Quoted from joemagiera:

It’s good, but no where near as good as Jello with half & half.

Quoted from pinheadpierre:

I always associated Jell-O with the Midwest. It crept into multiple meals: lunch, dinner & dessert. Seems like its own food group in some places.

Quoted from mooch:

I was going to post about my favorite Jell-O brand pudding that came frozen in a plastic tub, then I saw it was made by Birds Eye not Jell-O.

Quoted from pinmister:

My mother makes really good Jello and I have been trying to replicate it lately. Nothing like Jello from a Wisconsin mother.

Quoted from pinwiztom:

How many remember having jello dishes with celery, shredded carrot , pineapple pieces, mini marshmallows, raisins and walnuts mixed into the jello?

Quoted from Ballderdash:

Checked the family cook book. We have 3 recipes for Jell-O salads.

Quoted from RichWolfson:

Nothing like Jello from any mother!

I'm seeing lots of posts about Jell-O in this thread.
But, of course . . . there's always room for Jell-O.

#9903 42 days ago
IMG_6178 (resized).jpegIMG_6178 (resized).jpeg
#9904 42 days ago

any plane, boat or car powered by a Cox .049
Love the smell of burning nitro.

#9905 42 days ago
download (1) (resized).jpgdownload (1) (resized).jpg
#9906 42 days ago

Jello with Fruit was a weekly side dish.
My favorite was Lime with Fruit Cocktail or Pineapple chunks.
Ya gotta drain the fruit and dry it with paper towels.

4237cd3b534c515c2fd7a40d2b8777d5 (resized).jpg4237cd3b534c515c2fd7a40d2b8777d5 (resized).jpg8b0bf9bf33cbf77ee654b31a33f7fa49 (resized).jpg8b0bf9bf33cbf77ee654b31a33f7fa49 (resized).jpg
#9907 42 days ago

Aunt Bethany’s cat approves

IMG_3208 (resized).jpegIMG_3208 (resized).jpeg
#9908 42 days ago

All this talk of 60's and 70's jello makes me think of tasting history I just watched on Tang Pie. Anyone had it? He doesn't like Tang so hard to read but it looks like a great dish to "whip" out at an event from the 60's!

#9909 41 days ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

My favorite was Lime with Fruit Cocktail

I did not care for the fruit but I loved the lime with cream added and mini marshmallows on top(my favorite). Jello really is a science and I am going to make some this week(no pineapple) thanks to this thread
Vintage lime jello (resized).jpegVintage lime jello (resized).jpeg

#9910 41 days ago

I think that the acid from pineapple juice inhibits the gelatin from setting up properly

#9912 41 days ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

I think that the acid from pineapple juice inhibits the gelatin from setting up properly

No... it's the extra moisture from canned or wet fresh fruit that can make jello not set.
That's why you pat dry fruit with paper towels.

#9913 41 days ago

From google
Yes, FRESH pineapple juice can prevent Jell-O from setting because it contains an enzyme called bromelain that breaks down collagen, which is a protein that gelatin is derived from. This breakdown prevents the gelatin molecules from forming a three-dimensional array, which is necessary for gelling. However, canned pineapple doesn't have the same effect because the heat from canning inactivates bromelain.

#9914 41 days ago

SCIENCE!!
We were just a boring Canned Pineapple Middle Class family.
Haha!

#9915 41 days ago

I'm gonna make a lime jello mold tonight, I'll post pictures.
... with Canned Pineapple.

#9916 41 days ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

I'm gonna make a lime jello mold tonight, I'll post pictures.
... with Canned Pineapple.

I thought of you!

#9917 41 days ago

At holidays my mother would make a cranberry mold in an ornate bunt cake pan. The second ingredient after cranberries is gelatin.

#9918 41 days ago

Also, my wife makes her grandmother's famous blackberry wine cake. That uses a lot of blackberry gelatin, but Nana swore by Royal rather than Jello brand, so that's what she uses. It's getting hard to find anymore, so when she sees it she stocks up. It freezes quite well.

#9919 41 days ago

What was the difference between gelatins that would give it the “finger jell-o” or “jigglers” designation; where you could eat by hand vs spoon?

#9920 41 days ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

What was the difference between gelatins that would give it the “finger jell-o” or “jigglers” designation; where you could eat by hand vs spoon?

For Jigglers you add extra unflavored gelatin.

#9921 40 days ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Not an acid, but an enzyme that won't allow the gelatin to set. but if you rinse the pineapple good in water, it should take most of the juice off the surface and allow the Jell-O to set normally.

#9922 39 days ago

So I made my mom's old fashion Jello recipe last night. It turned out great and I thought it did not have fruit in it-but it does-just ground up in the blender in small chunks.

Recipe for my mom's old fashion Lime Jello:

Big package of Lime Jello(family size)
Put in Blender
Add 2C. boiling water
Add Philadelphia cream cheese(8oz. package)
Add 15oz. can fruit cocktail(drained a little)
Blend in blender and pour in glass dish
Add mini-marshmallows on top and refrigerate for several hours
DSC02144 (resized).JPGDSC02144 (resized).JPG

#9923 39 days ago
Quoted from pinmister:

So I made my mom's old fashion Jello recipe last night

It was funny when I borrowed my Mom's recipe file box. She was like-'Be careful with that-it is like Gold to me!'

Gold Jerry-Gold!

Seinfeld Gold.gifSeinfeld Gold.gif

#9924 39 days ago

Anyone play with these? I had some of the smaller Shogun Warriors, but I regrettably never owned any of the big boys. They were always on my "wishlist" as a kid but my parents never obliged.

Shogun-Warriors_Robots2 (resized).jpgShogun-Warriors_Robots2 (resized).jpg
#9926 39 days ago

what about Captian Nice

when everyone was trying to jump on the bandwagon with campy superheroes after Batman hit.

#9927 39 days ago
Quoted from Retro4Life:

Anyone play with these? I had some of the smaller Shogun Warriors, but I regrettably never owned any of the big boys. They were always on my "wishlist" as a kid but my parents never obliged.[quoted image]

my brother and I had about 6 of the smaller ones. they were really well crafted, a mixture of die-cast metal and plastic. always ended up losing one or more of the missiles.

#9928 39 days ago

Anyone else remember singing as a kid, "It's about time, it's about space, it's about time I slapped your face"?

I never noticed before that Imogene Coca's character's name "evolved" from "Shag" to "Shad"! Presumably after they heard about the British slang term, not so "shagadelic" for TV in the 60s.

#9929 39 days ago
Quoted from pinmister:

It was funny when I borrowed my Mom's recipe file box. She was like-'Be careful with that-it is like Gold to me!'
Gold Jerry-Gold!
[quoted image]

Your post has caught Parker's attention:
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#9930 39 days ago
Quoted from Retro4Life:Anyone play with these? I had some of the smaller Shogun Warriors, but I regrettably never owned any of the big boys. They were always on my "wishlist" as a kid but my parents never obliged.[quoted image]

Nope, but I do remember melting these guys on a lightbulb when I was young.

IMG_0354 (resized).jpegIMG_0354 (resized).jpeg
#9931 39 days ago

I have my eye on one of those, at franks a guy has about 30 in a bag.
Ultimately though I think all the designs are available for 3d printers. I think that’s what I held off on getting real one. TBC.

#9932 39 days ago
Quoted from Retro4Life:

Anyone play with these? I had some of the smaller Shogun Warriors, but I regrettably never owned any of the big boys. They were always on my "wishlist" as a kid but my parents never obliged.[quoted image]

Grandma bought me a large raideen in 1979.
When got home and opened the box it was mazinger.

I returned it and got a Death Star play set I recall. They did not have anymore large figures. I sure do miss those days with grandma bodak. RIP.

#9933 39 days ago
Quoted from Drain1:

any plane, boat or car powered by a Cox .049
Love the smell of burning nitro.

How about the smell of a 2 cycle dirt bike. Mmm mm. Dad, what's a 2 cycle? Did you really put oil in with the gas? We sure did son. Wow!

#9934 39 days ago
Quoted from Oneironaut:

How about the smell of a 2 cycle dirt bike. Mmm mm. Dad, what's a 2 cycle? Did you really put oil in with the gas? We sure did son. Wow!

I remember 2-cycle motorboats with the boat motors shedding oil onto the water's surface and making that rainbow sheen of colors, like what you see in a Walmart parking lot on a rainy day.

#9935 39 days ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

what about Captian Nice
when everyone was trying to jump on the bandwagon with campy superheroes after Batman hit.

I do remember watching Captain Nice, but not much about it. But seeing your post I just learned it was created by Buck Henry. Now I’ll have to search that to check it out, he was a funny guy. He did after all bring us one of my all time favorites Get Smart (along with Mel Brooks).

#9936 38 days ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

He did after all bring us one of my all time favorites Get Smart

I think I recognize the singer on the theme song being Don Adams

#9937 38 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I remember 2-cycle motorboats with the boat motors shedding oil onto the water's surface and making that rainbow sheen of colors, like what you see in a Walmart parking lot on a rainy day.

Am I the only one that uses a chainsaw? or a gas powered blower? or gas auger or...?

Maybe it's time for me to upgrade all of my tools (I did replace my Stihl pole saw with an electric one)

#9938 38 days ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

I do remember watching Captain Nice, but not much about it. But seeing your post I just learned it was created by Buck Henry. Now I’ll have to search that to check it out, he was a funny guy. He did after all bring us one of my all time favorites Get Smart (along with Mel Brooks).

The Theme Song was written by Vic Mizzy, Known for The Addams Family theme, The Ghost and Mr. Chicken, and Green Acres amongst many other T.V. shows and Movies:https: //www.imdb.com/name/nm0006202/

#9939 38 days ago

The end of the Incredible Hulk

#9940 38 days ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

Am I the only one that uses a chainsaw? or a gas powered blower? or gas auger or...?
Maybe it's time for me to upgrade all of my tools (I did replace my Stihl pole saw with an electric one)

Gas lawn mower. Everything else is electric. But only boat motors leave a sheen of oil on the water's surface

#9941 38 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Gas lawn mower. Everything else is electric. But only boat motors leave a sheen of oil on the water's surface

Still have a gas mower, but the electric trimmer and blower can't be beat.

#9942 38 days ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

At home I have a 55’x155’ lot and everything is electric, mower, whipper blower. At work we look after about 20 acres of manicured lawns and gardens at the one property; everything is gas, 2 riding mowers, 3 push mowers, edger, tiller, 4 whippers, 2 blowers, hedge trimmers, all Stihl or John Deere

#9943 37 days ago

My Ego batteries are getting a little finicky and shorter lived, but I'm still managing to get by with the two for mowing the lawn, I just have to swap them a little more often. It's been a few years, probably longer than I realize...

Still, I looked into the replacements and yikes! They have one now that costs more than the mower did! (the 12Ah, $600!)

The mower came with a 7.5Ah, and I got a 2.5Ah with the string trimmer (or was it the leaf blower?). A new 5Ah battery by itself costs $300, but you can get one along with the 18 inch chainsaw for $400! Been looking for an excuse to get the chainsaw!

#9944 37 days ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

A new 5Ah battery by itself costs $300, but you can get one along with the 18 inch chainsaw for $400!

Going thru same dilemma with my Skil EQ, almost cheaper to buy a new supplement power tool than any new batteries

#9945 37 days ago

In my city we have a company called Interstate Batteries that I’ve heard can rebuild dewalt and ryobi batteries for a fraction of the cost of a new battery. Maybe they can do lawnmower and chainsaws too.

I think they’re a franchise, so they might be all over

#9946 37 days ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

In my city we have a company called Interstate Batteries that I’ve heard can rebuild dewalt and ryobi batteries for a fraction of the cost of a new battery. Maybe they can do lawnmower and chainsaws too.
I think they’re a franchise, so they might be all over

I have an Interstate Battery shop 2 blocks away. I can ask if they rebuild these types of batteries.

From a conversation thread we had 2-3 weeks ago, I do like using the battery powered tools. When you find yourself helping out a friend who has 15 old cars shoveled together, all with flats, a cordless impact driver is real handy.

It is the cost of these batteries, and the fact that each manufacturer has its own proprietary designs is what keeps me from being a full throated proponent of them. Of course, if I were a professional carpenter I would use them.

#9947 35 days ago

I was at the antique mall yesterday bumming around and I had a great flashback that took me back as I sat there for a bit staring at the poster and having some great memories.

The year-1985(magical year)

Me-kid driving his BMX bike up to 7-11 to try and collect them all and then trade with my buddies in the neighborhood. I can vividly remember getting a Slurpee and removing the bottom part of the cup to get the collectable baseball coins. They were super cool holographic cardboard coins and I can remember them like it was yesterday. One of my fond childhood memories and it put a smile on my face.
7-11 baseball coin display (resized).jpg7-11 baseball coin display (resized).jpg7-11 Slurpee coin. (resized).jpg7-11 Slurpee coin. (resized).jpg7-11 Slurpee coin (resized).jpg7-11 Slurpee coin (resized).jpg7-11 slurpee coin.. (resized).jpg7-11 slurpee coin.. (resized).jpg

#9948 35 days ago

Going to get another one of these one day.

IMG_2247 (resized).jpegIMG_2247 (resized).jpeg
#9949 35 days ago
Quoted from pinmister:

driving his BMX bike up to 7-11

So many great memories with our local 7-11

Cruising in my corduroy short shorts and tank top with only a couple bucks in my pocket. The couple of arcade games in the store entertained us for hours on end. Wish they still had arcades in 7-11 stores today. My son drives his bike to 7-11 to get Slurpees just like I did growing up-but he has to come home to play arcade games.

7-11 vintage (resized).jpg7-11 vintage (resized).jpg7-11 arcade (resized).jpg7-11 arcade (resized).jpg7-11 vintage. (resized).jpg7-11 vintage. (resized).jpg

7-11 arcade. (resized).jpg7-11 arcade. (resized).jpg

7-11 1980;s (resized).jpg7-11 1980;s (resized).jpg
#9950 34 days ago

^^^Look at those kids cruising around with no helmets and letting their mullets blow in the wind

I had a rat tail growing up-who remembers 'Rat tails'

Rat Tail 1980's (resized).jpgRat Tail 1980's (resized).jpg
There are 9,972 posts in this topic. You are on page 199 of 200.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.