stfu.gif
speedy-gonzales-movie-donald-trump (resized).jpg
IMG_4109 (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20240319-093421 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240318_220904_Chrome (resized).jpg
Unknown (resized).jpeg
2024-03-18_09-56-44 (resized).jpg
shot0037 (resized).png
There are 9,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 181 of 196.
#9001 11 months ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I had a fun game of throwing a soda can on the roof of the house and see how long I could keep shooting it to keep it from falling off. Whoever worked on that roof years later must of been wondering why there were hundreds of bb's stuck in the shingles lol.

Quoted from jawjaw:

I had a fun game of throwing a soda can on the roof of the house and see how long I could keep shooting it to keep it from falling off. Whoever worked on that roof years later must of been wondering why there were hundreds of bb's stuck in the shingles lol.

That reminds me of another one that I actually just thought about a few days ago. We would walk over to the school which had some sort of pitched roof, then throw a baseball onto it, wait for it to roll down, and catch it with our glove. This could go on for hours if we didn't have enough kids to play a baseball game.

#9002 11 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

there was a poster of an astronaut's foot fixing to step off of the moon lander's ladder. And right where his foot would have landed sat a pile of dog crap Many years later I wish I had bought that poster. I have googled for it but never any luck.

Search for “Moon Crap Poster” on eBay.

IMG_0097 (resized).jpegIMG_0097 (resized).jpeg
#9003 11 months ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

I took out many a tin can and little green army man with one of these.
Only ever brought down 1 wild animal with it during a rebellious phase. Learned basic gun safety from ownership of it too.
It was very accurate for a bb gun, or I was just very accurate with it. Too bad that skill did not translate to "real" firearms in my later life.
Any who, this thing filled hours and hours of time from about the age of 10 +.
One of those things I wish I still had.[quoted image]

All of that. We used to go to these small ponds and shoot baby frogs with dibolical enthusiasm.

#9004 11 months ago
Quoted from mooch:

Search for “Moon Crap Poster” on eBay.
[quoted image]

That's the one ! Thank you for finding that so everyone will know I have not gone daft

It is amazing sometimes what gets lodged in my brain. I only saw that poster one time only. It would have been in 1967. 56 years ago.

1967 is the year that The Beatles Sgt. Peppers album was released. Their uniforms on that album were a big hit. And the local head shop managed to raid a band uniform maker's shop and bought out all the old inventory of band jackets. There were jackets representing schools in a three county area. I bought a band jacket but passed on the moon crap poster.

And at my school, the band jackets were the hot setup for awhile. All the cool boys were wearing them.

#9005 11 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I only saw that poster one time only. It would have been in 1967.

I'm not questioning when you saw it. I didn't know things like that were out a couple years ahead of the moon landing.

I wonder if it was speculation of what they'd find on the moon ? I wonder if there were others with guesses of what they'd find ?

LTG : )

#9006 11 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'm not questioning when you saw it. I didn't know things like that were out a couple years ahead of the moon landing.
I wonder if it was speculation of what they'd find on the moon ? I wonder if there were others with guesses of what they'd find ?

No. Nice catch. Then it had to have been 1969 when I saw this poster while the band jackets were from an earlier time. I visited this shop more than once. My memory is fuzzy.

#9007 11 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

No. Nice catch. Then it had to have been 1969 when I saw this poster while the band jackets were from an earlier time. I visited this shop more than once. My memory is fuzzy.

EDIT: Actually, Lloyd, it could have an earlier date in anticipation of the upcoming moon landing'; sort of like "this is what we might find on the moon"; Once Neil Armstrong stepped out of the room lander, there would have been no real point of the poster.

The poster exists is all I can say.

The guy who owned the head shop made a pile of money and bought a house in the ritzy section of town. And then years later he got popped for dealing drugs from this house.

#9008 11 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

EDIT: Actually, Lloyd, it could have an earlier date in anticipation of the upcoming moon landing'; sort of like "this is what we might find on the moon"; Once Neil Armstrong stepped out of the room lander, there would have been no real point of the poster.

That is what I was wondering. if there were other speculation posters of what was up there. Like cheese ?

#9009 11 months ago

The image actually has a Library of Congress entry with the year 1969.

https://www.loc.gov/item/2017647972/

IMG_0101 (resized).jpegIMG_0101 (resized).jpeg
#9010 11 months ago

This is the first poster that I can remember putting on my bedroom wall.
It came in a MAD magazine. (1968)

IMG_0109 (resized).jpegIMG_0109 (resized).jpegIMG_0110 (resized).jpegIMG_0110 (resized).jpeg
#9011 11 months ago
IMG_0114 (resized).jpegIMG_0114 (resized).jpeg
#9012 11 months ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

......and the cool clear plastic push up stick with disc. It made great accessories when I played star wars figures.

When we were kids, we used to re-purpose all sorts of plastic doo-dads and throw-aways like this into our action figure world. I used to make fortresses for my Micronauts from the oddly shaped styrofoam shipping blocks that TV's and appliances were packed with. They would, of course, all be destroyed by the end of the battle.

Quoted from mooch:

[quoted image]

Sad to hear that Al Jaffee (writer and artist for the Mad rear cover fold-ins) just passed. I have a friend who was an artist for Mad, saw him just a few days before he died.

#9013 11 months ago
Quoted from mooch:

The image actually has a Library of Congress entry with the year 1969.
https://www.loc.gov/item/2017647972/
[quoted image]

How do you find this stuff? I am impressed.

#9014 11 months ago
CIRCLE (resized).jpgCIRCLE (resized).jpg
#9015 11 months ago
TECH (resized).jpgTECH (resized).jpg
#9016 11 months ago
WRONG SHIRT (resized).jpgWRONG SHIRT (resized).jpg
#9017 11 months ago
PLAYLIST (resized).jpgPLAYLIST (resized).jpg
#9018 11 months ago

Anyone else remember visiting this in Florida?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#9019 11 months ago
P57 (resized).jpgP57 (resized).jpgPALIVE (resized).jpgPALIVE (resized).jpgPBLOCKED (resized).jpgPBLOCKED (resized).jpgPLOST (resized).jpgPLOST (resized).jpgPOVER (resized).jpgPOVER (resized).jpgPPAY (resized).jpgPPAY (resized).jpg
#9020 11 months ago
RED SHIRT (resized).jpgRED SHIRT (resized).jpg
#9021 11 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

Quoted from cottonm4:

The poster exists is all I can say.
The guy who owned the head shop made a pile of money and bought a house in the ritzy section of town. And then years later he got popped for dealing drugs from this house.

Quoted from LTG:

That is what I was wondering. if there were other speculation posters of what was up there. Like cheese ?

The more I think about this "crap" poster, it seems like we probably landed on the moon before this poster was produced.

Here is a pic of a moon foot print. We would have had no reference point for the crap poster without first seeing a footprint. I don't think would have registered with the public until we actually got to see Armstrong step off and make that print.

Screen Shot 2023-04-27 at 9.37.08 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2023-04-27 at 9.37.08 AM (resized).png

#9022 11 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The more I think about this "crap" poster, it seems like we probably landed on the moon before this poster was produced.
Here is a pic of a moon foot print. We would have had no reference point for the crap poster without first seeing a footprint. I don't think would have registered with the public until we actually got to see Armstrong step off and make that print.
[quoted image]

We know what the surface of moon looked like at ground level since Since Surveyor III landed on the moon in April 1967:
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

https://www.nasa.gov/content/astronauts-pay-a-visit-to-surveyor-3

#9023 11 months ago

I love the old Out of Order signs in the Arcades when i was a kid. I found one and scanned it in to use when my games goes down. By having it out it also reminds me I need to do something about a game. Here is a .pdf so you can download and print your own. If anyone has another Arcade's please share. I would love to know what Space Port looked like.

20230427_131048 (resized).jpg20230427_131048 (resized).jpgOutofOrder.pdfOutofOrder.pdf
#9024 11 months ago
20230427_200350 (resized).jpg20230427_200350 (resized).jpg20230427_200402 (resized).jpg20230427_200402 (resized).jpg
#9025 11 months ago
IMG_1473 (resized).jpegIMG_1473 (resized).jpeg
#9026 11 months ago

Me and a bunch of my friends started playing D&D at college in 1982. We still all get together once a year (even though we are spread all across the country now), and spend 3-4 days playing.

We've been playing the same "campaign" now for 40 years - though most of our original characters have died and been replaced (at least once).

We'll be getting together again in July for our next session. We have missed out on playing a couple of those years (but not many).

This is my character... Black Dougal

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
#9027 11 months ago

About the most ugly and utilitarian vehicle I ever saw when growing up.

My uncle had one. Cheap transport for a family man trying to feed his family.

Screen Shot 2023-04-29 at 9.21.43 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2023-04-29 at 9.21.43 PM (resized).png

#9028 11 months ago

My parents had a late 50s or early 60s Renault shipped back home when they came back to the States from French Morocco. (My father was stationed in Rabat.) They had gone to North Africa with a '55 Chevy Bel Air, but had a very hard time getting parts or service there. It was before my time, but they used to love to tell the story of when a wheel fell off of the Renault while my dad was driving to base back in Virginia.

#9029 11 months ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

[quoted image]

I Dungeon Mastered “Tomb of Horrors” multiple times, but only in a tournament or one-off adventure scenario. It just didn’t seem fair to inflict it on hard won upper level campaign characters. I never had a party survive. I still have the original ‘78 print run of that module.

#9030 11 months ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

My parents had a late 50s or early 60s Renault shipped back home when they came back to the States from French Morocco. (My father was stationed in Rabat.) They had gone to North Africa with a '55 Chevy Bel Air, but had a very hard time getting parts or service there. It was before my time, but they used to love to tell the story of when a wheel fell off of the Renault while my dad was driving to base back in Virginia.

I now recall my aunt, who was a hefty woman, talk about how it was like riding in a coffee can. That is the only conversation I remember about that car.

#9031 11 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

About the most ugly and utilitarian vehicle I ever saw when growing up.

My uncle had one. Cheap transport for a family man trying to feed his family.

My Mom had one of those, in red...she loved it! It was a Dauphine Gordini, so it had the "hot" engine. Zero to 60 in 30 seconds! The stock Dauphine took 37 seconds to get up to 60.
Somewhere back in this thread I have a picture of her driving our yellow DKW Auto Union station wagon. My parents liked weird cars for some reason. Later on, we had two early Mazda RX-3s, a sedan and a wagon. Both would go well over 100 MPH, as my sisters and I all independently verified when we were teenagers. The sedan would get close to 130. They were total sleepers - boxy looking little things that would dust most cars on the road.
I learned how to tune them up when I was around 16, changing spark plugs in impossible places and setting the points on the dual distributors.

#9032 11 months ago
Quoted from DCP:

it had the "hot" engine. Zero to 60 in 30 seconds!

LOL ! A real neck snapper. I'd be afraid to try to merge on the freeway in heavy traffic.

Quoted from DCP:

back in this thread I have a picture of her driving our yellow DKW Auto Union station wagon.

Your post is where I first saw those VW turn signal doodads. And your mom had that million dollar smile.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-were-your-favorite-childhood-toys?tq=DKW+Auto+Union+&tu=

Quoted from DCP:

Both would go well over 100 MPH, as my sisters and I all independently verified when we were teenagers. The sedan would get close to 130.

The things we do when we are young and immortal

#9033 11 months ago

0 to 60……pack a lunch

#9034 11 months ago

Here’s a few vw’s that I restored in the late 80’s. Two of them have the semaphore turn signals.

8C44335A-4F80-4A28-90F3-D930B5AA1996.jpeg8C44335A-4F80-4A28-90F3-D930B5AA1996.jpegCCAF5634-2AE7-49FC-ADDF-C21674AA220B.jpegCCAF5634-2AE7-49FC-ADDF-C21674AA220B.jpegCDDCA42A-21A8-406C-A92B-A07983DFD1C9.jpegCDDCA42A-21A8-406C-A92B-A07983DFD1C9.jpeg
#9035 11 months ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Me and a bunch of my friends started playing D&D at college in 1982. We still all get together once a year (even though we are spread all across the country now), and spend 3-4 days playing.
We've been playing the same "campaign" now for 40 years - though most of our original characters have died and been replaced (at least once).

By contrast, I was only 7 years old in 1982, and it was the height of Satanic Panic mania. My parents were going through a protracted “born again” phase, and it was just sort of “in the air”; Dungeons and Dragons was *particularly* to be feared. I remember seeing a “Special Report” about the perils of having your kid fall under the sway of this dangerous pastime, how kids would be bound up with demonic forced and kill themselves if their character died in a game. They told us about this stuff in Sunday School all the time, with grisly detail that really makes you wonder at the sadism of some adults. Little kids don’t have the guile to recognize when the adults might be full of it, after all.
I lived with some pretty damn vivid (and 100% baseless) fears through the course of my childhood and adolescence. Eventually some friends of mine took an interest in role playing games (the very phrase itself seemed laden with danger to me at the time), and at a sleepover they “initiated” me into the D&D world. I confided that I had been warned off of such games because of the emphasis on demons and the like, and they were totally confused. My friend said “but that’s who you’re *fighting*!” A bit later his dad checked in on us and made a crack about “you’re not in there sacrificing small animals, are you?” Somehow that night and in that moment the spell of anxiety around a simple game which relies on imagination was broken by a sane adult who recognized the absurdity of the bad rap around those games. Lenny Bruce and George Carlin would be proud.

Anyhow…in a way I kind of enjoy looking back on the ridiculousness of the stuff that scared me as a kid. It sort of made the world more “exciting”, knowing it was all so fraught with danger at every turn. On the other hand, seeking solace and refuge in the suffocating din of the drywall and commercial carpeted church activities available as an alternative didn’t hold too much appeal to me. My older brother was always managing to get horror movies and punk rock albums into the house. That world seemed dangerous to me, but in the way a rollercoaster seems dangerous. Just exciting, really. Church was full of adults who seemed bent on making sure that you only had whatever version of “fun” they set out for you. (Usually something to do with an organized sport activity, group singing of awful songs, and maybe eating some hot dogs.)

My parents’ religious phase cooled off eventually (and just at the time I would have started rebelling against it in a big way); by the time I was a couple years into high school my dad was back to digging on rock and roll and hipped me to Frank Zappa. All’s well that ends well, I guess…

5B6361BD-A545-417A-B6E9-4FF73BD4D5CC (resized).jpeg5B6361BD-A545-417A-B6E9-4FF73BD4D5CC (resized).jpeg
#9036 11 months ago

My mom with the new Camaro. My chopper in the background.

5E29CABC-47A9-42F9-AA3F-AB61352597E9.jpeg5E29CABC-47A9-42F9-AA3F-AB61352597E9.jpeg
#9037 11 months ago
Quoted from onemoresean:

Here’s a few vw’s that I restored in the late 80’s. Two of them have the semaphore turn signals.

Beautiful!
Restoring vintage cars is a skill I really admire. I love the YouTube videos of people demonstrating proper rust repair and repainting work. So cool.

I had a ‘77 Westfalia camper for about 5 years, but I didn’t have the practical skills when I was a kid that I have since learned. These days I would replace the dog leg panels and do a complete overhaul of the interior.
Still, I drove that thing from Baltimore to San Diego and back again with lots of detours, so I feel like I got a lot out of it (it was crazy cheap when I bought it, I can’t believe my memory can be correct but I want to say I paid $1400 for it in 1994.)
I slept in many a truck stop, national park, music festival, took it to drive in theaters across the country, but never once had sex in it, lol. I’d love to have another one at some point but would need a garage for it in the winter. New England is rough on old VWs!

#9038 11 months ago
Quoted from onemoresean:

My mom with the new Camaro. My chopper in the background.

OMG this photo is *everything.*

#9039 11 months ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

On the other hand, seeking solace and refuge in the suffocating din of the drywall and commercial carpeted church activities available as an alternative didn’t hold too much appeal to me.

This is best laugh I have had for a few days. LMAO !

Maybe the whole thing with D & D was publicity stunt. If you can get a few church goers whipped into a stink about something, the press will glom on and it is instant airplay on the 6 O'Clock news. Free publicity. And now many people want to check for their selves. To see what all the hurly-burly is about.

As someone whose mother dragged him off to church on a regular basis, the rest of your post brings back memories

#9040 11 months ago

I found some old Farrells pics from around 1973.

3B0C1D22-AAC8-487F-B75E-795529707379 (resized).jpeg3B0C1D22-AAC8-487F-B75E-795529707379 (resized).jpegE856D2E2-286F-4AE3-A54B-6AEEF99E04BA (resized).jpegE856D2E2-286F-4AE3-A54B-6AEEF99E04BA (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#9041 11 months ago

Random pics potentially already posted.

IMG_1192 (resized).pngIMG_1192 (resized).pngIMG_0567 (resized).jpegIMG_0567 (resized).jpegIMG_0583 (resized).jpegIMG_0583 (resized).jpegIMG_0071 (resized).jpegIMG_0071 (resized).jpegIMG_0070 (resized).jpegIMG_0070 (resized).jpegIMG_0072 (resized).jpegIMG_0072 (resized).jpegIMG_0864 (resized).jpegIMG_0864 (resized).jpegIMG_1123 (resized).pngIMG_1123 (resized).pngIMG_0870 (resized).jpegIMG_0870 (resized).jpegIMG_1147 (resized).jpegIMG_1147 (resized).jpegIMG_1135 (resized).jpegIMG_1135 (resized).jpegIMG_1145 (resized).jpegIMG_1145 (resized).jpegIMG_1554 (resized).jpegIMG_1554 (resized).jpegIMG_1155 (resized).jpegIMG_1155 (resized).jpegIMG_1186 (resized).jpegIMG_1186 (resized).jpegIMG_1258 (resized).jpegIMG_1258 (resized).jpegIMG_0198 (resized).jpegIMG_0198 (resized).jpegIMG_0594 (resized).jpegIMG_0594 (resized).jpegIMG_1346 (resized).pngIMG_1346 (resized).pngIMG_1328 (resized).jpegIMG_1328 (resized).jpegIMG_1371 (resized).jpegIMG_1371 (resized).jpegIMG_1547 (resized).jpegIMG_1547 (resized).jpegIMG_0586 (resized).jpegIMG_0586 (resized).jpegIMG_1539 (resized).jpegIMG_1539 (resized).jpeg
#9042 11 months ago

“Very soft and very clear”

Have a great day!

#9043 11 months ago

Fuzzy Dice for your rearview mirror.

Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 11.31.29 AM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2023-05-08 at 11.31.29 AM (resized).jpg

Steering wheel knob.

c870x524 (resized).jpgc870x524 (resized).jpg

Curb Feelers

curb-feelers-2 (resized).jpgcurb-feelers-2 (resized).jpg

Red Crown valve stem caps

Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 11.35.08 AM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2023-05-08 at 11.35.08 AM (resized).jpg

A pair of Moon eye decals for your fenders.

1947-chevrolet-3100-thriftmaster (resized).jpeg1947-chevrolet-3100-thriftmaster (resized).jpeg

And a surfer barefoot throttle pedal

s-l500 (resized).jpgs-l500 (resized).jpg
#9044 11 months ago

And only Cragar mags will do.

cragar (resized).jpgcragar (resized).jpg

#9045 11 months ago

I saw a lady with a steering wheel knob this morning on my way to work. I’m pretty sure they were outlawed in the 80’s for cars. We have one on the kubota tractor at work, but on a car is wild.

#9046 11 months ago
#9047 11 months ago

Back when vibrators could not look like VIBRATORS

#9048 11 months ago

We played the hell out of this and of course ... RISK !

dt442 (resized).pngdt442 (resized).png
#9049 11 months ago
Quoted from starfighter:

[quoted image]

Never heard of Dark Tower but Risk is a great game.

#9050 11 months ago
Quoted from starfighter:

[quoted image]

Hope it was better than the movie with Idres Elba and Matthew McConaughey.

There are 9,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 181 of 196.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-were-your-favorite-childhood-toys/page/181 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.