BagofGlass (resized).jpg
434599499_10228561822663909_2493513439072746909_n (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2024-03-30 at 7.43.04 PM (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Big Chief pad (resized).png
stfu.gif
speedy-gonzales-movie-donald-trump (resized).jpg
IMG_4109 (resized).JPG
There are 9,755 posts in this topic. You are on page 172 of 196.
#8551 1 year ago
Quoted from DCP:

I still have my first "machine" - I was about 3 when I got it, so it was around 1960.
Picture taken 5 minutes ago.
Unrestored, HUO.
[quoted image]

do you have the documentation to prove that its HUO?

#8552 1 year ago
Quoted from DCP:

I was looking through my scans of my family slides from the 50s and 60s - many great memories.
Here's my Mom in about 1961 or '62, in the family car. We had a DKW Auto Union 1000 station wagon that had a 2-stroke engine. You had to add oil in with the gas. It hauled us around the country a few times. No seat belts, no head rests - the idea in those days was that you were just not supposed to crash! Luckily, we never did.
[quoted image]
Here's a stock photo of an Auto Union - note the weird "suicide door" that opens from the front! Plus the fact that it's a 2-door station wagon. I remember Mom turned on the ignition with the key, and then started the car by pushing a little button on the dash. We thought that was cool!
[quoted image]

I never heard of Auto Union before. Don't recall ever seeing a wagon like this. I see the 4-ring Audi logo and find it preceded Audi. Strange front door.

Get ready for it....Your mom was looking pretty hot with those cats eye sunglasses and that million dollar smile.

#8553 1 year ago

The fun part is I have a closet full, and my granddaughters eyes grow when she visits, and asks to see her mothers closet full of "her" toys!

Bang Box is next!

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#8554 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I never heard of Auto Union before. Don't recall ever seeing a wagon like this.

I consider myself a car guy and also had never heard of this car. When I was young I remember being told some old cars were 2 stroke, but never looked into it before. I think I’m going to see if there’s any good information on YouTube about them. That door is awesome

#8555 1 year ago
Quoted from RichWolfson:

Thanks but unfortunately Industrial Arts will never be back in public high schools. Some private schools have MakerSpaces and some even have great teachers. But those days will never return to the detriment of our children.
///Rich

Perhaps, but the public school Vo-Tech I attended decades ago is still going strong. They still offer all of the following, but I am sorry to see that the Advertising Design/Graphic Design program that I attended is no longer offered. It looks like the Drafting and Computer Science classes are gone, too.

Air Conditioning, Refrigeration, and Heating (HVAC)
Auto Body and Paint Technology
Automotive Service Technology
Carpentry
Construction Technology
Cosmetology
Culinary Arts
Dental Assisting
Early Childhood Education
Electricity
Electronics/Robotics
Landscape Design and Management
Legal Systems Administration
Licensed Practical Nursing
Masonry
Medical Systems Administration
Outdoor Power Equipment
Pharmacy Technician
Plumbing and Heating
Public Safety
Television Communications and Production
Turf Management
Welding

#8556 1 year ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

Perhaps, but the public school Vo-Tech I attended decades ago is still going strong. They still offer all of the following, but I am sorry to see that the Advertising Design/Graphic Design program that I arrended is no longer offered. It looks like the Drafting and Computer Science classes are gone, too.
Air Conditioning, Refrigeration, and Heating (HVAC)
Auto Body and Paint Technology
Automotive Service Technology
Carpentry
Construction Technology
Cosmetology
Culinary Arts
Dental Assisting
Early Childhood Education
Electricity
Electronics/Robotics
Landscape Design and Management
Legal Systems Administration
Licensed Practical Nursing
Masonry
Medical Systems Administration
Outdoor Power Equipment
Pharmacy Technician
Plumbing and Heating
Public Safety
Television Communications and Production
Turf Management
Welding

Nice choice of classes.

The class(es) I wish I had taken would gotten me laughed under the table, but every guy should take a course in Home Economics. Where you learn things on how to sustain life and balance a checkbook---things I had to struggle to figure out when I was out on my own.

#8557 1 year ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

Perhaps, but the public school Vo-Tech I attended decades ago is still going strong.

Now speaking as a university teacher educator who started teaching Industrial Arts in New York City High Schools.

Industrial Arts or "shop" was not a vocational program. It was general education and intended for all kids, boys and girls. As was Home Economics. Some schools did it right and had wonderful teachers many of whom were my mentors teaching me about materials, children and teaching. Others....

Vo-Techs served a different also admirable goal and there are good ones that survived and thrived over the years. And now with the Biden administration supporting Unions the Vo-Techs are getting an influx of cash and apprentice programs.

But, It's the basic skills we have here that are missing in todays youth. Even the geeks and nerds who are into coding, gaming and 3D printing. I had to teach my engineer nephew how to solder and weld. Maker Spaces are wonderful places but, and I am going to go out on a limb here, most of the people there are old white guys like me. I don't know about you. And as hard as we try they are not inviting places for women and girls I am afraid. And turn around and look at us!

Here's a picture of my granddaughter at Maker Faire NY with her friend R2D2 and her trusty marshmallow shooter. There used to be lots of fathers and grandfathers there with their kids, many young girls. l was happy to introduce her to girl makers, But alas, even before the pandemic those faires were struggling. And the pandemic put a real hurt on kids her age. She is 14 now and said something about my teaching her to drive. Not I will not tell my wife or her parents. Or let her drive the M2 but there are lots of other options starting with karts.

///Rich

PS-She did take a road trip with me to Pinfest last spring. She got to control everything like the playlist and coming and going and where we stopped. She was really unaware of how happy that made me!

IMG_0261 (resized).jpegIMG_0261 (resized).jpeg

#8558 1 year ago

I took shop one semester in 9th grade. It was memorable. I was a stupid punk but I still managed to learn a few things.
I also got to attend sixth grade band where I learned to appreciate music but not to play it sadly.

I had home economics with all of my classmates, unlike shop which was elective.

I feel amazingly fortunate to have gone through all of this.
Not far from the school is where I saw jaws and close encounters.

#8559 1 year ago
Quoted from RichWolfson:

Industrial Arts or "shop" was not a vocational program.

I was never aware of this distinction. I always thought they were one and the same.

Quoted from RichWolfson:

It was general education and intended for all kids, boys and girls.

Junior year I took a plastics class. There were two girls that also enrolled in that class. This was in 68 or 69. Females in shop classes were not common.

#8560 1 year ago

When I was very young, my family visited someone’s house that had this “Santa Claus Catcher” next to their Christmas tree. I was horrified by it, wondering why anyone would want to hurt Santa Claus.

949C09D6-5314-4170-9C4A-53C6BC5D0E61 (resized).jpeg949C09D6-5314-4170-9C4A-53C6BC5D0E61 (resized).jpeg9D0292D5-60F6-4742-8672-3C818ADE11B9 (resized).jpeg9D0292D5-60F6-4742-8672-3C818ADE11B9 (resized).jpeg
#8561 1 year ago
Quoted from mooch:

When I was very young, my family visited someone’s house that had this “Santa Claus Catcher” next to their Christmas tree. I was horrified by it, wondering why anyone would want to hurt Santa Claus.
[quoted image][quoted image]

The Real Santa won't be caught, this is for the home invaders during the Christmas season

#8562 1 year ago
Quoted from DCP:

I still have my first "machine" - I was about 3 when I got it, so it was around 1960.
Picture taken 5 minutes ago.
Unrestored, HUO.
[quoted image]

Hey Denny, cant contact you through pinside mail anymore so send me your address if you could. Hope you guys have good holiday!

#8563 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I was never aware of this distinction. I always thought they were one and the same.

That was part of the problem. Schools many times treated these classes as not for those going to collage. Or "the shop teachers can handle him". It certainly made a bad environment for women.

Industrial Arts grew to Technology Education for a variety of reasons but the curriculums were designed to give children things they should know as well as basic hand and power tool skills. And thinking skills. Unfortunately not even all the teachers understood them. And in the late 70s when I was a HS teacher there were no women shop teachers that I remember which is a whole nuther issue.

Quoted from cottonm4:

Junior year I took a plastics class. There were two girls that also enrolled in that class. This was in 68 or 69. Females in shop classes were not common.

The specialty equipment suppliers had nice vacuum formers and rotational molders. And small extruders that teachers couldn't figure out what to do with. <G>But kids got tired of the standard molds. My metal shop had a foundry and kids were mesmerized by the pouring of metal and allowed us to make all sorts of new molds.

But my passion was Auto Shop. We were a large NYC high school so we had LOTS of oil changes, brakes and shocks to do. One teacher once asked if I was going to do the work on her car and said we were not there for her but for the kids. People are weird sometimes. And in those days you could actually fix things and my kids did. Let me try to find the pictures of the Impala we brought to a demolition derby at Islip. A bunch of Brooklyn kids in Suffolk County. My kids were always well behaved as I was not the one they wanted to be angry with them. We lost BTW as a demolition derby is not simply crashing. But we had a great time. Kids families came too and we had a barbecue in the pits. I am sure some of those kids remember now that they are gown up. Maybe one is reading this. <G> And experiences like that could be had in science, english or history. John Dewey had it right!

///Rich

#8564 1 year ago
Quoted from RichWolfson:

Schools many times treated these classes as not for those going to collage.

They had me in mind. I was not interested in going to college

Auto mechanics was a 2 hour-2 credit class. So I got two As on the report card for that. We (classmates were assigned to groups of 4) replaced the door post on a 4-door car and re-hung the doors. And we rebuilt the Borg-Warner 4-speed transmission in my Ford Galaxy; This was an expensive proposition that cost me, a junior in high school, $110.00 in parts!

With auto mechs. I learned how to work with fiberglass and bondo. I learned how to do valve jobs that included knurling the valve guides and performing the 3-angle valve seat grind that that today's engine builders like to trumpet about.

Allow me to bore you with some of my shop stuff.

My mom made this pancake turner when she was in high school. I use it daily. Mom graduated high school in 1937. It blows anything you can buy today out of the water. Stainless steel, .030" thick, with a bakelite handle.

IMG_1962 (resized).jpgIMG_1962 (resized).jpg

This is a cannon I made in 8th grade metals class. The classes were one hour classes and we had only one lathe--and one other classmate made a cannon, too. We battled for lathe time

IMG_1969 (resized).jpgIMG_1969 (resized).jpg

This plastic cube was a happy accident. I made an aluminum box to use as a mold. I would make these resin blocks and get the carving bit set and make roses and other sorts of desktop dust collectors with them.

With this particular block, I added too much catalyst to the resin and it got smoking hot and split open.

Aha, I thought. I grabbed the kit of plastic dye and started dropping different colors of dye in the huge opening. The plan was that the next day, after the resin cured and cooled, I would add more resin and fill the gaps. But the next day, after the block had cooled, it closed back up on itself and I all I had to do was take it to the sanding wheel, sand it into a cube and polish it. After 55 years, some of the dye ink is losing its brilliant colors.

I'm sure that once I am gone that this piece of resin will wind up in the trash

IMG_1967 (resized).jpgIMG_1967 (resized).jpgIMG_1963 (resized).jpgIMG_1963 (resized).jpgIMG_1966 (resized).jpgIMG_1966 (resized).jpg

And I have this pair of nutcrackers. I don't know where they came from. All I know is these lived my my mom's silverware drawer and I used them ( all the time ) when I was a 5 year old kid and not yet sexualized. It was just me, my mom, and my dad. No big deal was ever made of them.

Both my mom and my dad worked in the aircraft factories during WW II. Aluminum is the metal of choice in aircraft and I figure my dad made them or another co-worker made them.

Everybody else had nutcrackers and picks like this.

3bc1c904-15b6-4430-ad5d-7f8fe11464f7 (resized).jpeg3bc1c904-15b6-4430-ad5d-7f8fe11464f7 (resized).jpeg

Not us. I had this pair of nutbusters to use.

I had, and still have, these I inherited when my mom died. I wish I had the story behind them.

IMG_1975 (resized).jpgIMG_1975 (resized).jpg

IMG_1976 (resized).jpgIMG_1976 (resized).jpg

IMG_1977 (resized).jpgIMG_1977 (resized).jpg
IMG_1965 (resized).jpgIMG_1965 (resized).jpg

#8565 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

They had me in mind. I was not interested in going to college....

A lot of the kids that were not interested in college changed their minds. It usually took a good teacher. I made kids read the manuals. They never complained and in those days manufacturers thought manuals were important. Now...

Quoted from cottonm4:

And we rebuilt the Borg-Warner 4-speed transmission in my Ford Galaxy; This was an expensive proposition that cost me, a junior in high school, $110.00 in parts!

I had deals with all the dealers and parts houses. Many time for my "kids" cars, parts were free. What they didn't know was that the profits on the work we did on other teachers cars paid for it all. And once a year GM gave me a flood car. We used to take off all the sheet metal and give it to a local body shop. And then shorten the chassis and we had a car to work on. I had a routine for fluids and it paid for a lot during the year. We got a 427 impala once. That engine paid for an entire year of pizza and then some.

Quoted from cottonm4:

Allow me to bore you with some of my shop stuff.

Are you kidding? Not bored here!

Quoted from cottonm4:

This is a cannon I made in 8th grade metals class.

I drew the line at making cannon. And when a kid brought in a knife and brought it to a grinding wheel, I made them spend hours getting it right on a stone. But clearly, times are different now.

OTOH, I did have a big bang cannon in the shop. It was how I introduced Acetylene welding.

Quoted from cottonm4:

I'm sure that once I am gone that this piece of resin will wind up in the trash

I have shown all the things that are important to me to my kids and grandkids. But am resigned that dead is dead and at some point it won't matter to me. But I can only hope that now they pay me lip service.

Quoted from cottonm4:

And I have this pair of nutcrackers. ...I figure my dad made them or another co-worker made them. ...I had, and still have, these I inherited when my mom died. I wish I had the story behind them.

I have seen those many times before. Check Etsy. You can get new ones in Brass if you like.

Trust me your father didn't make them. It was a popular item back then.

Merry Christmas everyone!

///Rich

#8566 1 year ago
Quoted from RichWolfson:

But I can only hope that now they pay me lip service.

7th grade sheet metal… Mr. Timmings

7th grade woodworking… Mr. Miller.

8th grade printing….Mr.Miller.

8th grade Basic Electricity…Mr. Clifton

8th grade general metals….Mr. Clifton

And there was Mr. Emmit—-who had a butt hurting swing with his paddle.

High school metals, plastics, and welding….Mr. Van de Veer.

And auto mechanics….Mr. Lance. He taught us the difference between being good mechanics and slip-shod mechanics and to take pride in our work.

I’m willing to bet your students remember you.

#8567 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

... And I have this pair of nutcrackers. I don't know where they came from. All I know is these lived my my mom's silverware drawer and I used them ( all the time ) when I was a 5 year old kid and not yet sexualized. It was just me, my mom, and my dad. No big deal was ever made of them.
Both my mom and my dad worked in the aircraft factories during WW II. Aluminum is the metal of choice in aircraft and I figure my dad made them or another co-worker made them.
Everybody else had nutcrackers and picks like this.
[quoted image]
Not us. I had this pair of nutbusters to use.
I had, and still have, these I inherited when my mom died. I wish I had the story behind them.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Yup. My parents had the same set of Nut Cracker and Picks. I always remember them being around.
I still have the nut cracker but the picks and the box they came in are gone though:
DSC00315 (resized).JPGDSC00315 (resized).JPG

Edit: I just noticed something. On my set the letters "HMO" is stamped on the top piece inside a circle.

#8568 1 year ago

I would find that nutcracker in my parents bedroom, around 8 or 9. I thought it was a sex toy.
Education courtesy Playboy.

#8569 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I’m willing to bet your students remember you.

Thank you. That is a nice Christmas present.

///Rich

#8570 1 year ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I would find that nutcracker in my parents bedroom, around 8 or 9. I thought it was a sex toy.
Education courtesy Playboy.

They don't tell parents that kids will be in every drawer in the house when no one is around. My mom and dad had special toys too. And my dad had a magazine collection. How could they not know we, my brother and I, knew.

No surprise that you found everything in your parents bedroom. And still have them in the garage.

///Me

#8571 1 year ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Edit: I just noticed something. On my set the letters "HMO" is stamped on the top piece inside a circle.

Etsy https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/1106275969/vintage-hmo-nutcracker-and-tools

Get them while they're hot. As if there are not still millions of these out there.

But, check it may actually be HMQ.

///Rich

#8572 1 year ago

I recall 7th grade Industrial Arts with curly-haired Mr Schindhelm, who (at the time, inexplicably) always wore a pink dress shirt, and wood shop with the ancient, how-is-he-not-retired Mr Vogt. Wow, I just remembered jigsawing the end of my finger in class, I had completely forgotten about it! I can still just barely make out the scar on my ring finger.

#8573 1 year ago

I cant believe at 13, with minimal safety training, all the power tools we were allowed to use in school!

#8574 1 year ago
Quoted from RichWolfson:

I have seen those many times before. Check Etsy. You can get new ones in Brass if you like.

Well, I'll be go to hell. I looked. I can buy them by the dozens. And here I thought I was covered up with something original

#8575 1 year ago

I have lots of toy bagatelles in my collection, but this one from my childhood was the must-own.

PXL_20221226_005409324~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20221226_005409324~2 (resized).jpg
#8576 1 year ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I cant believe at 13, with minimal safety training, all the power tools we were allowed to use in school!

Yeah. Amazing how cavalier we were about safety back then.

In 7th grade we had to/got to watch these tool safety movies. They were cartoon movies, starring Primitive Pete (who was drawn as a cave man).

But we did not have safety anything. No gloves. No safety glasses. No ear protectors. But it was drilled into us that there would be no loose clothing when working with power tools and machine tools. No long sleeves. No neck ties. No jewelry.

In auto shop, where we were learning bondo and fiberglass, we had a high speed 90 degree angle sander/ buffer tool. It had a switch lock mechanism so you could squeeze the trigger and the sander would stay on. But there was no safety override switch. My 3 other teammates and i were getting ready to start our work. I plugged the sander in and did not know to check the switch. It was locked into on position. When I plugged in, that sander took off like a rocket.

One of the team mates had on a brand new pair of shoes. That sander must have had an 80 grit sanding disk on. The sander sanded a hole into the top of one of the guy's brand new pair of shoes and ruined the pair. Luckily it did not take his toe nail.

It was his little Ford Falcon we hung the doors on. We had them all fixed up and working good and had them in primer. And then one day he was driving in the shopping mall lot and someone backed out of their slot and caved those doors in (sigh).

#8577 1 year ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Most of what you did was not very dangerous. It's hard to cut off your finger with a jig saw rather than an bandsaw or table saw. I never allowed a radial arm saw as what could be more dangerous as a spinning moving blade even with a good guard.

The fact is that those teachers had an acute sense of sound. Aside from hearing multiple conversations we also knew what sound to be concerned with and where to be watching at any given time. Sort of like your mother whom I have never met but we probably passed each other at some point at the Dime Savings Bank!

And of course you had to have functioning guards and no trip hazards.

Do you have your old Pump Lamp in the garage?

///Rich

PS-Note on one student ever made a Pump Lamp in my shop. He begged me to let him as his father made one before him. We did and made sure the new one was way better.

#8578 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

It may have been you were casual but I suspect your teachers were much more concerned.

Quoted from cottonm4:

In 7th grade we had to/got to watch these tool safety movies. They were cartoon movies, starring Primitive Pete (who was drawn as a cave man).

The ABCs of Hand Tools. Done for GM by Walt Disney in 1945. 77 years ago.

I remember the first time I saw it in JHS. I was probably 13 and I remember it like yesterday even though I was known to show it later in life at times. In part two there is a description why open end wrenches are offset at 15° and how to work in a tight space. If you have not seen the movies, or if you did, here are Parts 1 and 2. The the wrench use starts at 1:42 in Part 2.

Part 1

Part 2

Quoted from cottonm4:

Maybe that is the attitude on the part of some teachers that doomed the programs? And I say that as someone who was a very proud Shop teacher.

Anyway we all work with tools in this forum. This movie is great and a classic. If you have never seen it or even if you have, I bet everyone learns something.

And there was a book that came with the movie. We teachers got boxes for free from GM. Here's a copy in the Internet Archive.

https://archive.org/details/abcs-of-hand-tools/page/12/mode/2up

I am sure it's posted elsewhere as well.

///Rich

#8579 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

starring Primitive Pete (who was drawn as a cave man).

I loved him.

When ever I'm using a tool that I shouldn't be using, I think fondly of him and then keep going.

LTG : )

#8580 1 year ago
Quoted from RichWolfson:

Industrial Arts or "shop" was not a vocational program.

Quoted from cottonm4:

There were two girls that also enrolled in that class. This was in 68 or 69. Females in shop classes were not common.

I dropped my college prep classes and took welding, small engine repair and big engine repair my senior year of high school. Loved those classes, true life long skills acquired. But the class that I got the most use out of to this day was typing. Mostly girls in that class and I use it every single day (right now of course!). Went into the Army right out of high school, then to college, but it was typing and the vocational classes that stuck with me from high school.

#8581 1 year ago

drafting classes with Mr. Stafford at charlotte high school for 2 years and his teachers aide for my senior year. Got my first drafting job right out of high school while getting my associate degree. Been drawing pictures and engineering since 1977 as my career.

#8582 1 year ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I have lots of toy bagatelles in my collection, but this one from my childhood was the must-own.
[quoted image]

I did find a short article on the Wolverine Toy Company:
https://historicpittsburgh.org/islandora/object/pitt%3AUS-QQS-mss716/viewer

#8583 1 year ago

Primitive Pete !! My friends and I still call idiots.. mostly ourselves, when we've screwed up...Primitive Pete.

#8584 1 year ago

I just found some of the pocket knives that I collected in the 70’s-80’s

2E03308E-631D-4392-A516-F7F365053F45 (resized).jpeg2E03308E-631D-4392-A516-F7F365053F45 (resized).jpeg
#8585 1 year ago

Daisy C02 Pistol and I Still have it

dasiy (resized).jpgdasiy (resized).jpgdasy (resized).jpgdasy (resized).jpg
#8586 1 year ago

I took drafting 10-12th grade in high school. I remember in my senior year that we were all working on a project that we had a month or so to complete.
the class was one where lunch was half-way through it and many of us were already done so we planned a trip to the local ihop on a friday.

come the next monday our instructor, mr. anderson, sent all of us that [skipped] to the vice principal's office. when asked where we went and being berated for leaving the school grounds (even though most of us had our driver's licenses and drove to school) and as the self-chosen spokesperson for the group, I explained that we informed our instructor that we weren't going to be there, where we were going and even invited him. the vice-principle just looked us and dismissed us (without even a warning) back to class.

that was also the year that the school received brand new, shiny water based fire extinguishers. on my last day of finals, I paid off another student to watch the hallway. man, we had fun with that thing that summer

#8587 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Your Daisy reminds me a lot of my old Colt Woodsman .22 Long Rifle. It's loads of fun to shoot.

Colt Woodsman (resized).pngColt Woodsman (resized).png

#8588 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Quoted from zombywoof:

Your Daisy reminds me a lot of my old Colt Woodsman, .22 Long Rifle. It's loads of fun to shoot.
[quoted image]

Both of those guns look real enough that the cops would freak out .

#8589 1 year ago

Just thinking the same thing

#8590 1 year ago

To be fair, the Colt is a real gun, just very small caliber.

#8591 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Both of those guns look real enough that the cops would freak out .

Both were discontinued in the ‘70s, so I think we are largely safe there. These were target pistols.

#8592 1 year ago

Has anyone been down-voted on this thread?

#8593 1 year ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Yup. My parents had the same set of Nut Cracker and Picks. I always remember them being around.
I still have the nut cracker but the picks and the box they came in are gone though:
[quoted image]

We still have them and use them for our crab fests. I have the nut bowl,as well with the set

#8594 1 year ago

When I was a kid, I got to see some things that most other kids didn't get to see. My Dad worked in the Astronomy Department at Northwestern University, and I used to love visiting the buildings there.
Here's a photo from the web of Dearborn Observatory, the first place Dad worked at Northwestern. I'm pretty sure he was living in the basement of this observatory when he first met my mother!
dearborn (resized).jpgdearborn (resized).jpg
In 1966, Northwestern built a new observatory on the landfill that projected out into Lake Michigan. It was called Lindheimer Astronomical Research Center, or LARC for short. Dad worked at LARC until about 1973. I got to visit it numerous times, and often brought my friend Chris, who enjoyed exploring the domes, the machine shop, and the labs with me, and climbing around on the catwalks high above the ground.
Here are a couple of pics of LARC from the web:
lindheimer (resized).jpglindheimer (resized).jpg
LARClakefront (resized).jpgLARClakefront (resized).jpg

A friend of Dad's got a job at the new Kitt Peak Solar Observatory near Tucson in the early 60s when the McMath Solar Telescope was first built. We visited there one summer on a long road trip with the family.
Here's a picture of me in front of one of the heliostats at the top of the McMath Solar Telescope around 1966.
DennyAtTopOfMcMathSolarObservatoryimg06282017_320 (resized).jpgDennyAtTopOfMcMathSolarObservatoryimg06282017_320 (resized).jpg
Here are some other pics of the telescope from this site (many more great pics and info there): https://noirlab.edu/public/images/archive/search/page/1/?adv=&subject_name=McMath-Pierce+Solar+Telescope
The aerial view shows the catwalk at the top where I had my picture taken. It was over 100 feet up.
KittPeakAerialnoao-04624 (resized).jpgKittPeakAerialnoao-04624 (resized).jpg
McMathnoirlab-05768 (resized).jpgMcMathnoirlab-05768 (resized).jpg
I got to take a ride all the way down to the bottom of the diagonal tube on a cart that rode on the rails that hold the telescope mirrors. Somewhere, I have a picture of me on the cart, but I can't find it now.
Quite an unforgettable experience for a curious 9 year old.
Here are a couple of pics from the website that show a view looking up the tube:
McMathTelescopeShaftAndHeliostat (resized).jpgMcMathTelescopeShaftAndHeliostat (resized).jpg
noao-mcmathpierceInterior1-5000x3333 (resized).jpgnoao-mcmathpierceInterior1-5000x3333 (resized).jpg

#8595 1 year ago
Quoted from DCP:

I got to take a ride all the way down to the bottom of the diagonal tube on a cart that rode on the rails.

It had a good run, but I knew this thread was going down the tubes sooner or later.

#8596 1 year ago

I love you, tubes! - Slow Donnie on Just Shoot Me

#8597 1 year ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Are you asking for one?

#8598 1 year ago
Quoted from DCP:

When I was a kid, I got to see some things that most other kids didn't get to see. My Dad worked in the Astronomy Department at Northwestern University, and I used to love visiting the buildings there.

Did you end up as a scientist? Engineer? Machinist? Builder?

///Rich

#8599 1 year ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

YES! YOU !!!!

#8600 1 year ago

My Cousen Joey in 1979. I have the red shirt. Joey let me listen to his 45s when I was about six.

It was wipe out and satisfaction by the stones. Is it me or is that a bong and a small stack of cash?

Ah the 70s were something to grow up in!

10991F26-4DE9-4F35-8C1A-F5BC819D05B8 (resized).jpeg10991F26-4DE9-4F35-8C1A-F5BC819D05B8 (resized).jpeg
There are 9,755 posts in this topic. You are on page 172 of 196.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-were-your-favorite-childhood-toys/page/172?hl=rezdog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.