20220919_081554.jpg
Screenshot_20220917-190955~2 (resized).png
DC344E39-AADE-4DD1-82FB-3394BD24BA05 (resized).jpeg
E8A8A5FA-5ECF-49A9-9A1D-C0A99D810DA4 (resized).jpeg
0B2804CA-A213-4190-8814-EF9A63F377EB (resized).jpeg
F3AFAF42-975D-422E-9FEA-9E76F59A8B1B (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
47BC4E3C-96B4-4574-82C4-3787BCBE1576 (resized).png

There are 8,244 posts in this topic. You are on page 165 of 165.
#8201 8 days ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

This was my first record player growing up in the 50's. Obviously played only 45's and was connected to a GE clock radio for the speaker. Worked pretty well.
I still have some of the 45's including Bill Haley and the Comets "See You Later Alligator and "Shake, Rattle and Roll".[quoted image]

This the clock radio that was used for the speaker. And listening to KXOK AM 630.

pasted_image (resized).png
#8202 8 days ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

I remember it well, they played that song constantly on the radio, all day long, over and over.
A year later in 71, Chick-a-Boom.
A few years later in 72, it was Brandy by Looking Glass.

So awesome in 72 I was five but I remember it clearly.

#8203 8 days ago

Remember Birdwell Beach Britches?

Birdwell (resized).png

And Hang Ten shirts?

Hang Ten (resized).png

#8204 8 days ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

This was my first record player growing up in the 50's. Obviously played only 45's and was connected to a GE clock radio for the speaker. Worked pretty well.
I still have some of the 45's including Bill Haley and the Comets "See You Later Alligator and "Shake, Rattle and Roll".[quoted image]

Got one just like it in my gameroom.

#8205 8 days ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

That was before my day.

My sister had one of those ubiquitous "suitcase" record players from the late 50s. The kind that used those plastic inserts to make the big hole smaller since it played 33s as well as 45s.

#8206 8 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I loved that stuff.

With 10% real fruit juice------and 60% sugar, and 30% water

Back in the late 80’s as a teenager we drank Hawaiian Punch mixed with this!

The label clearly states “ extremely flammable”, “overconsumption may endanger your health”.

22D4F17E-0934-4B89-8B00-7F8D527FBC5C (resized).jpeg
#8207 8 days ago

Another summer song from 1980
Big Hit in California/West Coast.
Heard it all summer long, that and Foreigner's "Urgent"
Memories of that time
when my college buddies and I rented a house boat for a week
and cruised the delta waterways between Stockton and Sacramento
drinking cases and cases of beer.

Diesel : Sausalito Summernights

#8208 8 days ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

The label clearly states “ extremely flammable”, “overconsumption may endanger your health”.

Ah, Everclear. I remember it being higher proof (180) back in the 80s. Maybe it’s a regional thing. Around here we called it grain punch and had grain parties. My wife knew it as PGA punch. You could always tell who had the party the night before by all of the red Solo cups littering that block.

#8209 8 days ago

[quoted image]

I’ll just leave this here.

02E8D64F-DDE2-4C60-80D1-0D7D55147C02 (resized).jpeg
#8210 8 days ago

I never tried Ripple, but in 9th grade one of my friends lifted a bottle of this from Safeway. It was warm, too. Never again.

47BC4E3C-96B4-4574-82C4-3787BCBE1576 (resized).png

#8211 8 days ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

I never tried Ripple, but in 9th grade one of my friends lifted a bottle of this from Safeway. It was warm, too. Never again.
[quoted image]

The Mad Dog was for the serious drinkers.

#8212 8 days ago

I had 3 teachers in High School that kept Mad Dog going all day from their desk drawer.
No one complained, as a case in your cars rear window in the parking lot, meant you were cutting class, and going to the beach!

#8213 7 days ago

image (resized).jpeg

#8214 7 days ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

Ah, Everclear. I remember it being higher proof (180) back in the 80s. Maybe it’s a regional thing. Around here we called it grain punch and had grain parties. My wife knew it as PGA punch. You could always tell who had the party the night before by all of the red Solo cups littering that block.

I didn’t even notice that it’s not 180 proof anymore. Other than that I think the current label I posted is almost identical to what was on it back then. One bottle went a long way because it was so damn strong.
In the late 1980’s we were in the Spectrum parking lot at a Grateful Dead show tailgating. As was usual many people were selling something. “Beer a buck ….What the Fuck” , “ ice cold cigarettes…Yum Yum!” type of thing.

My buddy and I were sitting on my trucks tailgate enjoying the scene and he jokingly started to call out “ Grain and Hawaiian Punch cocktails… $1.” A non concert goer/ Philadelphian local was cutting thru the parking lot and stopped when he heard my buddy. He said I’ll take one.

My buddy started to make him a drink in a solo cup. He was slowly pouring the Grain into the cup and stopped to add the Punch. The guy said I want a bigger pour so I get my dollars worth and I don’t want any Punch added. We warned him it was 180 proof but he didn’t want to hear it. He slammed down what was a double or almost triple shot and almost fell over.

We still laugh about it today. “ be generous with that pour…I WANT my dollars worth!!”

0B2804CA-A213-4190-8814-EF9A63F377EB (resized).jpegE8A8A5FA-5ECF-49A9-9A1D-C0A99D810DA4 (resized).jpegF3AFAF42-975D-422E-9FEA-9E76F59A8B1B (resized).jpeg
#8215 7 days ago

Old models that I am going to get again!

DC344E39-AADE-4DD1-82FB-3394BD24BA05 (resized).jpeg
#8216 7 days ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Old models that I am going to get again!
[quoted image]

I remember that one!

Along w all the old Aurora ones!

#8217 7 days ago

Growing up in a town with the Navy’s east coast master jet base, the air show was an annual ritual for me growing up. NAS Oceana has the show going on this weekend. My wife and I were treated to the Blue Angels this afternoon while having a late lunch at a nearby brewery.

#8218 7 days ago

I've been picking up a few G1 Transformers
Screenshot_20220917-190955~2 (resized).png

#8219 6 days ago

https://www.museumofplay.org/toys/pinball/

Was mentioned indirectly about a year ago,
but they never noted that Pinball was inducted in 2018

One can now vote on what new toys will be added to Toy Hall of Fame

https://www.museumofplay.org/exhibits/toy-hall-of-fame/2022-finalists/

#8220 5 days ago

Here's one I remember playing when I was a kid

20220919_081554.jpg
#8221 5 days ago

I didn’t even notice that it’s not 180 proof anymore.

It's not a matter of it not being "180 proof anymore," different states simply have different maximum allowed alcohol contents.

It was, and still is, bottled at 60%, 75.5%, 94.5% and 95% alcohol by volume (120, 151, 189, and 190 U.S. proof respectively).

According to Wikipedia, anyway. Doesn't even say anything about 180 being an option. *shrug*

Interesting, I didn't know 200 proof was not possible to make, as distillation stops working past a certain concentration of alcohol to water.

#8222 5 days ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

It's not a matter of it not being "180 proof anymore," different states simply have different maximum allowed alcohol contents.
It was, and still is, bottled at 60%, 75.5%, 94.5% and 95% alcohol by volume (120, 151, 189, and 190 U.S. proof respectively).
According to Wikipedia, anyway. Doesn't even say anything about 180 being an option. *shrug*
Interesting, I didn't know 200 proof was not possible to make, as distillation stops working past a certain concentration of alcohol to water.

Thanks for posting this info. I’ll have to look next time I stop by the liquor store to see which is currently sold in PA. Bacardi 151 proof Rum and Everclear were the only liquor I was aware of that was available in Pa. That were over 100 proof back in the 1980’s.

#8223 5 days ago

Some time ago I introduced my granddaughter to the joys of balsa flyers. (I'll let her discover how fun it can be to blow them up on her own.)

balsa planes (resized).png

#8224 5 days ago

Bacardi 151 proof Rum

151 is no more. Bacardi quit making it.

#8225 5 days ago
pasted_image (resized).png
#8226 5 days ago

One of my favorite Cheech & Chong tracks was only released as a single. A hilarious bit about a shark at the beach. Came out in 1975 during the “Jaws” movie craze.

#8227 4 days ago

Wow, man, I don't think I ever heard that one, man.

They had one earlier non-album single which I had memorized at one time, "Santa Claus and his Old Lady."

"Magic dust?"
"Yeah, magic dust, man! He'd give a little bit to the reindeer, a little bit for Santa Claus, a little bit more for Santa Claus, a little bit more for Santa Claus..."

#8228 2 days ago
Quoted from mooch:

One of my favorite Cheech & Chong tracks was only released as a single. A hilarious bit about a shark at the beach. Came out in 1975 during the “Jaws” movie craze.

Basketball jones and earache my eye!

#8230 2 days ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Wow, man, I don't think I ever heard that one, man.
They had one earlier non-album single which I had memorized at one time, "Santa Claus and his Old Lady."
"Magic dust?"
"Yeah, magic dust, man! He'd give a little bit to the reindeer, a little bit for Santa Claus, a little bit more for Santa Claus, a little bit more for Santa Claus..."

#8231 2 days ago

Cheech and Chong are quite talented.

#8232 2 days ago
306493397_14384680 (resized).jpg
#8233 2 days ago

3463882B-ECC7-4891-AE1B-44B40723B6B0 (resized).jpeg

Sometimes history repeats itself.

#8234 2 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

For the dog lovers.

And there was Gravy Train.
[quoted image]
And Gaineburgers
[quoted image]
My dad bought Gaines dry food for his dogs. They were small red pellets.
[quoted image]
And then there was Alpo dog food. In the early 70s, the country was experiencing a period of high inflation, just like today. And there were stories in the papers and the TV news about some poor grandmas eating Alpo or horse meat because beef, including hamburger, was getting too expensive.
[quoted image]

Always remember the Chuck Wagon commercials.

#8235 2 days ago

Not exactly a youthful memory, but in 1994, I was cleaning up and painting a rental property for a guy I worked for. My employer said he had bought this duplex 20 years previous. The unit was already rented out and my employer said, " I have never met the renter. He paid his rent every month so there was no need. "

But the renter got old and his family took him away. But he/they left 20-30 years worth of trash behind. This is where I came in . The duplex had a basement and an upstairs. We had a 20 foot dumpster dropped in the driveway.

I found this letter. I found it interesting and written in an entertaining way. So I kept it. It was not written as history, but it was written in 1949 so there is now some history here. I was born in 1952. This letter is 3 years older than me.

I have always wondered what brought someone from Mississippi to Kansas.

A father is writing to his son on his son's birthday.

The mother was throwing snowballs and chasing around the house the day before she gave birth. The couple had no car, which was not unusual in 1949. And you can figure she was 16 when this couple got married. The writer of the letter would have been born in 1880. And I don't know what a shanghai house is.

You will find it interesting, or you won't.

Stern QS prints 2 (resized).jpeg

Stern QS prints 4 (resized).jpeg

#8236 2 days ago

Cool stuff. What caught my eye is he had to type it all out on a typewriter, and it is all without errors or mistakes, except one small one toward the end with the word my. You don't get any do-overs when you type like this. I doubt if half the USA could produce something similar today even with all the computer power they have.

#8237 2 days ago

I found this guy on Find A Grave, who could be the writer of the letter. But no mention on the site of a son born in 1903.

E78DBF92-07C7-4E79-A058-FDCEE577D562 (resized).jpeg
#8238 2 days ago

OK, found John Lee Bazzel born in 1903.

566D2C9B-0352-47D8-BA44-4DA68F5B8654 (resized).jpeg
#8239 20 hours ago

A little bit of history:

40 years ago. 7 people died from ingesting poisoned Tylenol.

"The Tylenol poisonings are the reason there’s now tamper-proof packaging on many medicines and foods, but the case that once panicked the country has faded from the spotlight."

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2022/09/us/tylenol-murders-cnnphotos/

Before the Tylenol poisonings, any container of pills, such as vitamins, came in a bottle that when opened, the first thing you did was to remove a wad of cotton and then proceed to pour out the pills you were going to take.

A jar of mayonnaise, when opened, it was the mayo at you were looking at.

None of what you bought came in a tamper proof container. Almost anything you put in your mouth did not come with a tamperproof container.

About the only item I can think of today that does not come in a tamperproof container is a loaf of bread with its wire wrapper.

That was the way it was. And why, today, some containers are built like Ft. Knox.

Anybody over 50 should remember the Tylenol poisoning scare.

#8240 19 hours ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

A little bit of history:
"The Tylenol poisonings are the reason there’s now tamper-proof packaging on many medicines and foods, but the case that once panicked the country has faded from the spotlight."
https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2022/09/us/tylenol-murders-cnnphotos/
Before the Tylenol poisonings, any container of pills, such as vitamins, came in a bottle that when opened, the first thing you did was to remove a wad of cotton and then proceed to pour out the pills you were going to take.
A jar of mayonnaise, when opened, it was the mayo at you were looking at.
None of what you bought came in a tamper proof container. Almost anything you put in your mouth did not come with a tamperproof container.
About the only item I can think of today that does not come in a tamperproof container is a loaf of bread with its wire wrapper.
That was the way it was. And why, today, some containers are built like Ft. Knox.
Anybody over 50 should remember the Tylenol poisoning scare.

I remember it well. This story has just hit the news again. That lowlife James Lewis was never tried or convicted for murder, only extortion. But it looks like they are considering new charges.

In a twisted way I guess we can be thankful that this triggered the current technology of sealed containers due to the fact that the world is full of sick psychopaths who would be more than happy to do similar things, so this at least slows them down. But he should rot in hell for killing those people. He has denied anything to do with the actual crime for the last 40 years, while admitting to the extortion attempt. But apparently they saved the various bottles and such from way back then. Its sounding like they may have been able to use current technology to identify his DNA on something. I would love to see him pay for his crimes finally.

#8241 17 hours ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

I remember it well. This story has just hit the news again. That lowlife James Lewis was never tried or convicted for murder, only extortion. But it looks like they are considering new charges.

I was busy working 7 nights a week, going to college, and taking care of my mother who was ill. I was mostly a headline reader at that time. I never knew the name of this guy James Lewis, until now.

I do remember that a young airline stewardess, named Paula Prince, was one of those who died. I have no idea why her name stays in my memory.

#8242 17 hours ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

A little bit of history:

It really messed up Halloween too. I used to give out 500 or so candy bars at my business. That year none.

Around here it's never been the same since. I don't even bother with decorations or give out candy any more.

And I used to love that holiday. Decorations all over. Three big pumpkins, three little ones. I scored the inside top of one and sprinkled cinnamon and nutmeg on it so as the candle burned it smelled like pumpkin pie in here. Witch hanging from a string flying around.

The good old days.

LTG : )

#8243 10 hours ago

I had more adults 20-40 year olds come to my front door than kids last year! After about the 7th adult came up I shut my lights off I might only give to the neighbours kids this year and not even turn the lights on.

Quoted from LTG:It really messed up Halloween too. I used to give out 500 or so candy bars at my business. That year none.
Around here it's never been the same since. I don't even bother with decorations or give out candy any more.
And I used to love that holiday. Decorations all over. Three big pumpkins, three little ones. I scored the inside top of one and sprinkled cinnamon and nutmeg on it so as the candle burned it smelled like pumpkin pie in here. Witch hanging from a string flying around.
The good old days.
LTG : )

#8244 1 hour ago

I love Halloween. Never dress up but I get 4 or 5 bags of different chocolate bars and candies and 100 little Halloween bags and make up little pouches for the trick or treaters. Always carve at least 2 pumpkins. Hang strings of pumpkin lights up. We have three reserves around us so as long as it's not bitter cold we average between 70 and 100 kids. And tradition for us is when we turn the lights out around 8pm we watch JC's Haloween

There are 8,244 posts in this topic. You are on page 165 of 165.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!