BagofGlass (resized).jpg
434599499_10228561822663909_2493513439072746909_n (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2024-03-30 at 7.43.04 PM (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Big Chief pad (resized).png
stfu.gif
speedy-gonzales-movie-donald-trump (resized).jpg
IMG_4109 (resized).JPG
There are 9,757 posts in this topic. You are on page 149 of 196.
#7401 2 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I remember a few big hurricanes ripping through when I was younger. As a kid, I had no worries

Did you or your neighbors tape X's on the windows and then not untape them for months years to come?
I know in my neighborhood taped windows after Alicia were around for years and years. Usually until owners sold and had to fix up the place.

#7402 2 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I remember a few big hurricanes ripping through when I was younger. As a kid, I had no worries. I slept through one even though the winds were violently thrashing the house. Only thing on my mind was excitement of missing a day or two of school.

When I went into military boot camp and started meeting guys from all over the states, the Florida boys talked about how they were terrified of tornadoes; They would rather ride the hurricane. I was like F U. I'll take my chances with a tornado since it is more localized and can be outran and does not last for days on end.

#7403 2 years ago

Here are a few pics of what Hurricane Isabel did to a couple of scrawny pine trees at my previous house. We lost both of those and half of a wax myrtle out back, and another pine and a maple out front. There was pretty significant flooding a few hours after these images were captured. The pier and part of the bulkhead at my mother's house were simply swept away. We lost power for a week. Ironically, I have a camp stove and could have at least made hot coffee, but all we had were whole beans, with no way to grind it.

Isabel trees 2 (resized).pngIsabel trees 2 (resized).png

Isabel trees 1 (resized).pngIsabel trees 1 (resized).png

Isabel trees 3 (resized).pngIsabel trees 3 (resized).png

#7404 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Bozo the Clown Lived in Farmington MI, or one of the many, did a local TV show

My uncle was friends with that bozo. He came to the house without makeup at times. I learned about disguises.
My uncle was big in the Shriners at the time.
He was the guy who kept all of the toys for children at his house.

He knew that bozo, I guess I did too.

#7406 2 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

My uncle was friends with that bozo.

I can top that.

Many years ago on a New Year's Day morning I was at the Shriner's breakfast at the hotel Sofitel in Bloomington, MN

Seated next to me, was. The head rat inspector for Minneapolis. Not just any rat inspector. The head of all the rat inspectors. What a day.

LTG : )

#7407 2 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Did you or your neighbors tape X's on the windows and then not untape them for months years to come?
I know in my neighborhood taped windows after Alicia were around for years and years. Usually until owners sold and had to fix up the place.

lol yeah. Love the idea that a little tape on your window is somehow going to make things better if trees and lawn chairs are blowing through your house.

Not sure what is worse - tornados or hurricanes. At least with hurricanes you can see them coming. When my kids were little, I was getting ready for work when all of a sudden the wind outside went crazy. I don't think it was even raining/storming but a tornado came over the house. I was just about ready to grab the kids when the winds suddenly stopped. Only damage it did was blow down a fence but still pretty scary.

#7408 2 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Not sure what is worse - tornados or hurricanes.

I'd rather have an earthquake!

#7409 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

The head of all the rat inspectors.

Did he by chance mention his brother-in-law's name

#7410 2 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

I'd rather have an earthquake!

Earthquakes are usually over in a couple of seconds. At least the one I was in lasted about 5 seconds but it felt like forever.

There is a fault line in Kansas. And there also is the New Madrid Fault in Missouri and Illinois. New Madrid was very active in the 1800s.

That was a wild ride I had in 2011. GF and I were sitting on the couch. All of a sudden things start moving around. I'm thinking where did this instant high wind come from? But when I took a good look out the front door, my maple tree was undisturbed. Instantly, I realize it is my house (small 2 bedroom) rolling around like it is small boat at sea in high winds.

It was over in 5-10 seconds, or so. It happened fast and was over just as fast; There was no time to get scared GF used to live in Cali and experienced earthquakes. In a calm voice she said, "We just had an earthquake." I just sat there in dumbfounded amazement.

I still have 3 cracks in my drywall that are hidden by furniture.

That was my first earthquake. But it was not my last. I suppose I experienced anther 10-15 quakes over the next 3-4 years. But none of the others matched the intensity on Number 1. My GF's plate glass window softly rattled for about 3 minutes one night;That was strange;I could not feel a thing.

Source of the quakes: This is my home. All my life. I never knew an earthquake and now they start happening with concerning regularity.

There is an oil drilling company in Oklahoma that, with the Oklahoma Interior Secretary's blessing, started doing deep well injection of drilling waste water. The problem is that pumping all of that water under pressure was starting to act like lubricant flowing between surfaces of the underground. This caused the different surfaces to move around.

There were damaged buildings in areas. Some people had their houses destroyed. But they did not have earthquake insurance. Around here ,you insure for floods, hail, and tornadoes; Not quakes.

Once the politics was sorted and the oil driller was not allowed to continue with deep water injections the quakes slowly went away.

#7411 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Earthquakes are usually over in a couple of seconds.

Yeah, I grew up in California and experienced quakes every fews years so it seemed. We thought they were fun, or at least, a strange experience. Then I moved to the midwest...experienced tornado warnings and everyone was scared. It always amused me that those midwesterners I met were terrified of earthquakes (having never experienced one). I didn't like the tornado warnings...give me another earthquake please. Reminds me of my childhood (that's what this thread is about).

#7412 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Earthquakes are usually over in a couple of seconds.

Yeah, no.
I remember when the Landers Quake hit in June of1992, It lasted a few minutes. It was a 7.3 . I live about 100 miles west of the epicenter. It didn't feel that strong at first, but it kept going on and on. I lied in bed for the first 15 or so seconds, and was able to get up, turn on a light and get my pants on before it stopped and the electricity went out.

And a few hours later the Big Bear quake hit (6.3). That one did shake hard. it lasted close to a minute.
Also experienced the Northridge quake in 94. It was a short one (only about 20 seconds) but it did a lot more damage. Had a friend who lived in Sherman Oaks that had his apartment knocked partially off its foundation and several buildings in his neighborhood destroyed including a new apartment complex that had opened two months earlier.

And just for perspective: The Alaska Earthquake in 1964 (9.2) lasted four minutes,
https://earthquake.alaska.edu/earthquakes/notable/1964-m92-great-alaskan-earthquake
The 2011 Sendai (Tohuku) earthquake (8.9) Lasted Six minutes,
https://www.livescience.com/39110-japan-2011-earthquake-tsunami-facts.html#:~:text=Amazing%20facts%201%20The%20earthquake%20shifted%20Earth%20on,according%20to%20the%20U.S.%20...%20More%20items...%20
The 1960 Valdivia Chile Earthquake 1960 (the most powerful recorded earthquake in history), Ten minutes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1960_Valdivia_earthquake

They rarely last a couple of seconds.

#7413 2 years ago

When I was a kid, or young man, it was National Geographic that brought me pictures of people in distant lands. They were just pictures of people with no names. And how they lived. You look at the picture, perhaps read the caption, and turn the page. By the time you get to read this material, six months have gone by. You history lesson in other cultures done for the day, you get ready for bed.

Screen Shot 2022-03-12 at 4.22.09 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-03-12 at 4.22.09 PM (resized).png

chief (resized).jpgchief (resized).jpg

egyptianstudents1954 (resized).jpgegyptianstudents1954 (resized).jpg

Documentaries brought these:

d-day-june-6-1944-normandy (resized).jpgd-day-june-6-1944-normandy (resized).jpg

01.1_Adolf_Hitler_with_the_Eiffel_Tower_Bundesarchiv-CC (resized).jpg01.1_Adolf_Hitler_with_the_Eiffel_Tower_Bundesarchiv-CC (resized).jpg

And now, with satellites and internet, it is all in realtime. This is not history and you can feel the pain. It is still raw.

#7414 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

When I was a kid, or young man, it was National Geographic that brought me pictures of people in distant lands.

Now that you mention it, I remember in junior high school finding a National Geographic showing bare breasted African tribal women. I was grateful for National Geographic at the time!

#7415 2 years ago

Heres a more recent photo, of the cover girl.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#7416 2 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Now that you mention it, I remember in junior high school finding a National Geographic showing bare breasted African tribal women. I was grateful for National Geographic at the time!

Let me jog your memory a little bit more

I saw it on TV.

1200px-Mursi_Lip_Plate,_Ethiopia_(11886606444) (resized).jpg1200px-Mursi_Lip_Plate,_Ethiopia_(11886606444) (resized).jpg
152178736268 (resized).jpg152178736268 (resized).jpg
EzetYugXsAAiDO2 (resized).jpgEzetYugXsAAiDO2 (resized).jpg

#7417 2 years ago

I used to watch Marlin Perkins religiously. I like watching the other guy jump in the water and wrestle with the big snakes.

71312480_1170629436456551_1791488437493170176_n (resized).jpg71312480_1170629436456551_1791488437493170176_n (resized).jpg

Harold Ensley, Gone Fishin' instead of just a wishin'. Out in that "red Ford Country Sedan".

harold_ensley200-711ce2f6b1adbb55b5a26603a4561512a5743148-s300-c85 (resized).jpgharold_ensley200-711ce2f6b1adbb55b5a26603a4561512a5743148-s300-c85 (resized).jpg

s-l400 (resized).jpgs-l400 (resized).jpg

Harold-Ensley-Autograph-KCMO-TV-5-Ford-Show-Sports (resized).jpgHarold-Ensley-Autograph-KCMO-TV-5-Ford-Show-Sports (resized).jpg

#7418 2 years ago

Sunday Night was Mutual of Omahas Wild Kingdom, and then Disney.
Dinner was Swanson Metal on a TV tray.

This was like yesterday!

#7419 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

When I was a kid, or young man, it was National Geographic that brought me pictures of people in distant lands. They were just pictures of people with no names. And how they lived. You look at the picture, perhaps read the caption, and turn the page. By the time you get to read this material, six months have gone by. You history lesson in other cultures done for the day, you get ready for bed.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Documentaries brought these:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
And now, with satellites and internet, it is all in realtime. This is not history and you can feel the pain. It is still raw.

My dad had a subscription from 1978 to the early 90s. There was a huge stack in a downstairs closet. When my parents sold that house in 02 we took them all to the dump. Kinda wish i would have boxed them up and kept them.

#7420 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Awesome memory! Same for us. Family night. Popcorn and Pepsi. One of the rare times we got to drink soda. 16 oz bottle, split in two.

pepsi (resized).jpgpepsi (resized).jpgpopcorn-metal-circle-bowl-93345156 (resized).jpgpopcorn-metal-circle-bowl-93345156 (resized).jpg
#7421 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Dinner was Swanson Metal on a TV tray.
This was like yesterday!

[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I used to love those Swanson fried chicken TV dinners. I remember that every bite tasted good. Even the instant mashed potatoes went down well.

Screen Shot 2022-03-13 at 9.45.40 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-03-13 at 9.45.40 AM (resized).png

Back in September- October I got onto a frozen dinner diet, starting out with some of the Stouffer's frozen offerings. They were OK, just OK, at first. But after filling my freezer a 2nd time, the new wore off.

I did try 3 of these Hungry Man chicken dinners. At #3, I had to start choking it down. The fried chicken was mostly smaller leftover chunks of chicken, just one step away for going down the dog food chute. And like lots of food items today, you got more breading than meat.

Screen Shot 2022-03-13 at 9.44.12 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-03-13 at 9.44.12 AM (resized).png

I do not think I will ever eat another TV/frozen dinner without someone putting a gun to my head.

I do miss the Swanson TV dinners. They were good.

#7422 2 years ago

Im sorry to say, I hated TV dinners. Well maybe not the dessert.

I found the Aluminum tasted better!
(pic is stock)

Speaking of Memories, Ive been helping my 85 year old Mom.
One of the things that made her smile the most, was a Free Colorize app, that works on old BW
photos.....family memories brought back to life!

A great day down memory lane for us!

(My Father is like 15, in the photo, my grandmother, and the young boy, is my cousin, a retired 45 year career in Nuclear Fusion, and Nobel Nominee)

dzgxflzd7950 (resized).jpgdzgxflzd7950 (resized).jpg20220217_171227 (resized).jpg20220217_171227 (resized).jpg

#7423 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Im sorry to say, I hated TV dinners. Well maybe not the dessert.
I found the Aluminum tasted better!
(pic is stock)
[quoted image]
Speaking of Memories, Ive been helping my 85 year old Mom.
One of the things that made her smile the most, was a Free Colorize app, that works on old BW
photos.....family memories brought back to life!
A great day down memory lane for us!
(My Father is like 15, in the photo, my grandmother, and the young boy, is my cousin, a retired 45 year career in Nuclear Fusion, and Nobel Nominee)
[quoted image][quoted image]

A family of 4. Sitting in the living room eating their TV dinners. But the TV is not turned on.

Where do I get this colorize app at? That looks cool. I want to try it on some of my phamily fotos

#7424 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I used to watch Marlin Perkins religiously. I like watching the other guy jump in the water and wrestle with the big snakes.

Marlin voiceover - We returned to camp, while Jim wrestled the alligator.

#7425 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

A family of 4. Sitting in the living room eating their TV dinners. But the TV is not turned on.
Where do I get this colorize app at? That looks cool. I want to try it on some of my phamily fotos

Google play store. Several free choices under colorize photos....

#7426 2 years ago
FDC92589-8CED-448B-BDDE-00F81DB3CA83 (resized).pngFDC92589-8CED-448B-BDDE-00F81DB3CA83 (resized).png
#7427 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Google play store. Several free choices under colorize photos....

Thanks

I have an iPhone and a couple of Macs. Don't think I can do Google play. I will try, though. There is probably something similar at the Apple site.

#7428 2 years ago

I used to love playing The Game of Life.
The board had an awesome spinner. My friends and I would spin it so hard that it would fly off the board.

1373DECE-AFC7-4E0E-84CE-6190C5686CFB (resized).jpeg1373DECE-AFC7-4E0E-84CE-6190C5686CFB (resized).jpeg
#7429 2 years ago
Quoted from ghostbc:

Does anyone remember 45 records on the back of cereal boxes? I remember cutting them out and trying to get it to lay flat enough to track correctly on my crappy little phonograph player . Sorry no pic.

Yes I remember the Archie's. I think the song was Sugar, Sugar!

Added: I remember my grandmother having TV trays to bad you can't find them now. As for TV dinners Morton's was the brand we bought all the time.

#7430 2 years ago

Did you say, "Sugar Sugar?"

5th Grade, Im playing Trumpet at Steele School in Baldwin NY.
We hat a Small Band. "Sugar Sugar" was our debut, at a school Assembly.

Somewhere I have a cassette tape of the that. We sounded Awful!

#7431 2 years ago

When I was growing up, there was a place in Hampton, Virginia called Rice's Fossil Pit. I went there a few times as a kid, with a field biology class, the Boy Scouts, etc. Now, you were not going to dig up a T-Rex at Rice's. Millions of years ago, most of Virginia east of the Blue Ridge mountains was under water.

I have had these fossilized clams for most of my life. I also have several chunks of sea floor, larger than a football, that have more of these still visibly embedded, as well as cavities where others once were.

Numerous megalodon teeth were recovered from the same level as these clams, so that dates them to roughly 3.6 to 28 Million years ago. I suppose I am just their caretaker, rather than the owner.

Clams (resized).pngClams (resized).png

Rice Fossil Pit 2 (resized).jpegRice Fossil Pit 2 (resized).jpeg

Rice Fossil Pit 1 (resized).jpegRice Fossil Pit 1 (resized).jpeg

#7432 2 years ago

This cheesy cardboard record of the “Chicken Delight Twist” showed up in a takeout bag of fried chicken when I was a kid. I immediately confiscated it and still have it somewhere.

EC96DD8B-8BE8-495C-9A12-CD1D18A1A97E (resized).jpegEC96DD8B-8BE8-495C-9A12-CD1D18A1A97E (resized).jpeg
#7433 2 years ago

cool pinball theme?

#7434 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Cool pinball theme?

That red ramp must have been designed by Dennis Nordman.

#7435 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

cool pinball theme?

Don’t confuse your Thing-A-Ma-Jig with your What-Cha-Ma-Call-It.

E0E97532-009C-4CD5-94B5-82750804ADC4 (resized).jpegE0E97532-009C-4CD5-94B5-82750804ADC4 (resized).jpeg
#7436 2 years ago

An old schoolyard song I just remembered.

98A51ACA-4E19-4FC2-8B21-672B0AA6B1A6 (resized).jpeg98A51ACA-4E19-4FC2-8B21-672B0AA6B1A6 (resized).jpeg

#7437 2 years ago

Here's my Comet/youth memory. Went to a new school for my grade 9 year. First week of school we're hanging out at the convenience store across the street from the school when some kid throws some bread for the pigeons hanging around. Him and his buddy are laughing. He put some Comet on the bread and poisoned/killed two birds. I immediately got in his face, he pushed me back and I one punched him. Broke his nose and got suspended for a week. Totally worth it. What a loser. Great introduction to my new classmates!

#7438 2 years ago

Major score. My grandfather had my old Atari in his old junk

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#7439 2 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

An old schoolyard song I just remembered.
[quoted image]

Sorry. I could not resist.

b3e42fbb-48a9-41be-84b9-b32cda170350.979552bb07bfbcf92d7ca5674e39ca43 (resized).jpegb3e42fbb-48a9-41be-84b9-b32cda170350.979552bb07bfbcf92d7ca5674e39ca43 (resized).jpeg

Beans Beans.

The magical fruit

The more you eat the more you toot.

The more you toot the better you feel.

You should have beans with every meal.

#7440 2 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Great introduction to my new classmates!

Yeah. "Don't fuck with the new guy !"

#7441 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Sorry. I could not resist.

Great green gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts.
Mutilated monkey meat.
Little birdies’ dirty feet.
French fried eyeballs swimming in a pool of blood.
Oh, I forgot my spoon.

3F95EC4A-7711-4F8C-AB56-6D370814C986 (resized).jpeg3F95EC4A-7711-4F8C-AB56-6D370814C986 (resized).jpeg

#7442 2 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Major score. My grandfather had my old Atari in his old junk

Cool! I used to have fun playing that Circus Atari game.
Never heard of Sky Skipper.
Was that a good game?

C2329313-B303-4921-8517-34F4ABC27C44.gifC2329313-B303-4921-8517-34F4ABC27C44.gif
#7443 2 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

Cool! I used to have fun playing that Circus Atari game.
Never heard of Sky Skipper.
Was that a good game?
[quoted image]

I have no idea. I called a place that sells old consoles and was told that it’s pretty much impossible to make it play on the new tellys so I guess it’s trash.

#7444 2 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:Here's my Comet/youth memory. Went to a new school for my grade 9 year. First week of school we're hanging out at the convenience store across the street from the school when some kid throws some bread for the pigeons hanging around. Him and his buddy are laughing. He put some Comet on the bread and poisoned/killed two birds. I immediately got in his face, he pushed me back and I one punched him. Broke his nose and got suspended for a week. Totally worth it. What a loser. Great introduction to my new classmates!

Here's one from my High School.
Dude A is dating a girl. She breaks up with him and starts dating Dude B.
Shortly after, Dude B's pickup truck completely dies, unexpectedly.
Motor is completely dead, no oil pressure, no compression.
He checks it out and finds Comet spilled on the top of the motor, near the oil fill cap.
No way to prove Dude A did it, but we all knew. Loser.
And no, it didn't last for Dude B either. He ended up marying a nice girl from California.

#7445 2 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:I have no idea. I called a place that sells old consoles and was told that it’s pretty much impossible to make it play on the new tellys so I guess it’s trash.

No.
It’s not trash. There is a way to get the 2600 to operate on a new television. Hopefully, someone smarter than me can tell you how to do it.

#7446 2 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I have no idea. I called a place that sells old consoles and was told that it’s pretty much impossible to make it play on the new tellys so I guess it’s trash.

Oh man, you’re right.
That Atari 2600 has an old RF antenna output that a modern digital TV can’t use.
Here’s a video of a guy who seems to have found a solution.
I might get one of these to try and hook up my old Colecovision.

#7447 2 years ago

OK, I just ordered one from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VQHZNNL

Plus an adapter from eBay.

ebay.com link: itm

The bad reviews on Amazon seem to be from people who had no PAL to RCA adapter.
I’ll report on how it well it works when it all gets here.
Now off to the garage to dig out old video games.

#7448 2 years ago

I used to keep a old 36" tube TV around to play old consoles on. I got so tired of moving that 60lbs, awkward beast around I finally thru it out. Also sold all my old consoles as I can get most of the games I actually want to play from Atari, Coleco and intellivision on modern consoles.

#7449 2 years ago

If you kept a VCR around to play old tapes on, you can run your Atari through that.

#7450 2 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

If you kept a VCR around to play old tapes on, you can run your Atari through that.

Yeah- that way would work.
I might dig out my old decrepit VCR if the new gizmo doesn’t work.
I haven’t played a VHS tape in 15 years.

There are 9,757 posts in this topic. You are on page 149 of 196.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-were-your-favorite-childhood-toys/page/149?hl=jethrop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.