BagofGlass (resized).jpg
434599499_10228561822663909_2493513439072746909_n (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2024-03-30 at 7.43.04 PM (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Big Chief pad (resized).png
stfu.gif
speedy-gonzales-movie-donald-trump (resized).jpg
IMG_4109 (resized).JPG
There are 9,755 posts in this topic. You are on page 147 of 196.
#7301 2 years ago

Little Black Fly from Ontario. Awesome Canadian Folk song. Saw it on PBS when I was a kid.

#7302 2 years ago

Saturday morning tv was the stuff of legend. From the seventies right on through the 80s.

So much gold in those Saturday mornings. From Scooby doo to wrestling to peewee Herman. As a 17year old we would follow up Saturday morning with a creature feature. This was the late 80s now. VHS heaven.

07258AF2-4C1D-42A0-8ED1-4ABA94801BDF (resized).jpeg07258AF2-4C1D-42A0-8ED1-4ABA94801BDF (resized).jpeg
#7303 2 years ago

Also as a side note, I feel Scooby doo original is a dream theme for me done properly.

#7304 2 years ago

Was this from the movie Hackers? It's been years since I've seen it, but god was it influential on me!

Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Few items from today's auction. Never was good at yo yos
[quoted image][quoted image]

So, it's so weird, but yoyos never died, they just went underground (kinda like the pinball community), and youtube kinda revolutionized it, as you could now upload and learn other people's tricks. In a lot of ways, new yoyos are very different than those old ones, but still a heck of a lot of fun. Those old ones are still a massive collector's item, though).

I may have been obsessed with them for a while. This was a wall I had in my old place (maybe represents a tenth of the ones I actually own...)

qFE1GBu (resized).jpgqFE1GBu (resized).jpg
#7305 2 years ago
Quoted from thekiyote:

Was this from the movie Hackers?

Yes it was!

#7306 2 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Also as a side note, I feel Scooby doo original is a dream theme for me done properly.

Yeah, but that wasn't the music, or sound, used in the first few broadcasts:

All the earliest episodes later had the song added on later.

#7307 2 years ago

One show I always looked forward to in the mid 1970's (well, the first two seasons that is):
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Okay, the effects were cheap, the costumes and many of the sets were kind of cheesy, But even now if you go back and watch this show, you'll find it was pretty well written.

#7308 2 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

I doubt anyone would have dared to bring and play Frank Zappa's Dinah Mo Humm!

...and of course brown shoes don't make it. Like if you get it.

#7309 2 years ago

When we were a bit older, my buddy and I would go out on Sunday mornings to the pet store to get feeder fish for his aquarium.

We'd get baked on the way there, then go to Chuck E Cheese next door and play some video games then order a pitcher of beer and a pizza and watch the animatronic show.

V46OLML34RGJDMYYIYJH2WUGDM (resized).jpgV46OLML34RGJDMYYIYJH2WUGDM (resized).jpg
#7310 2 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Okay, the effects were cheap, the costumes and many of the sets were kind of cheesy,

But only the richest had a large screen TV. For us mere mortals peering at a 24" or 32" screen, the cheapness of the effects would be hard to see.

#7311 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

But only the richest had a large screen TV.

I was friends for a short time with one of the rich kids in the next neighborhood over, they were the only ones I knew of that had this "monster".
We had a 19" Zenith.

FIXRiZzP9QxaUnrGFsjH8rRJJfK3YImxYTQxIHhNTXc (resized).jpgFIXRiZzP9QxaUnrGFsjH8rRJJfK3YImxYTQxIHhNTXc (resized).jpg
#7312 2 years ago

We didn't even have color TV until 1979 when Dad bought a 19" Zenith.

#7313 2 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

We didn't even have color TV until 1979 when Dad bought a 19" Zenith.

Since we are talking TVs, the newsies kept talking about the new high res TV that were going to be coming to market. I was like "What for ?. I don't need to be able to see the zit on some actor's nose. And then I got a high res Viseo from Walmart. When it crapped out, I bought a 65" 4K LG TV from a real TV store.

And then I had a chance to see a TV from around 10 years ago at Goodwill. And I found myself wondering how I even managed to watch that thing. I like seeing the zits on the actors' noses.

#7314 2 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

I was friends for a short time with one of the rich kids in the next neighborhood over, they were the only ones I knew of that had this "monster".

Too funny. We did have two t.v.s growing up but the "big tv" I think was 27". The basement "kids" tv was 19" and we broke the channel knob arguing over which of the 13 stations were we going to watch. From then on out, it was vice grips for turning stations

tv (resized).jpgtv (resized).jpg
#7315 2 years ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

The basement "kids" tv was 19" and we broke the channel knob arguing over which of the 13 stations were we going to watch. From then on out, it was vice grips for turning stations

LMAO !

#7316 2 years ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

Too funny. We did have two t.v.s growing up but the "big tv" I think was 27". The basement "kids" tv was 19" and we broke the channel knob arguing over which of the 13 stations were we going to watch. From then on out, it was vice grips for turning stations
[quoted image]

Our 2nd tv was black and white when I was real young, and we were lucky to get 6 channels off of the antenna if the rotor was turned the right way. Ours had lines marking the best spot for each station.
3B4295E2-DBEC-40A2-B5B2-D990FF6EE6D6 (resized).jpeg3B4295E2-DBEC-40A2-B5B2-D990FF6EE6D6 (resized).jpeg

One of my favourite memories was Dec ‘87. I got Legend of Zelda for the NES, for my birthday, and a 19 inch colour tv for Christmas, so we didn’t have to use the big tv in the living room to play games.

#7317 2 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Our 2nd tv was black and white when I was real young, and we were lucky to get 6 channels off of the antenna if the rotor was turned the right way. Ours had lines marking the best spot for each station.
[quoted image]
One of my favourite memories was Dec ‘87. I got Legend of Zelda for the NES, for my birthday, and a 19 inch colour tv for Christmas, so we didn’t have to use the big tv in the living room to play games.

My grandparents lived on the farm with well water, party line telephones, and one of these antenna rotators. On Saturday night, gramps would turn that rotator dial to the southeast for Saturday Night wrestling in St. Joseph Missouri. And then on Monday, he turned the dial to the north for wrestling in Omaha Nebraska. And the rotator would make these click click click sounds as it headed for the new setting.

That was in the 60s. To this day, I have never seen another rotator. Until the pic of yours.

Did your rotator make clicking sounds?

#7318 2 years ago
Quoted from thekiyote:

So, it's so weird, but yoyos never died, they just went underground (kinda like the pinball community), and youtube kinda revolutionized it, as you could now upload and learn other people's tricks. In a lot of ways, new yoyos are very different than those old ones, but still a heck of a lot of fun. Those old ones are still a massive collector's item, though).
I may have been obsessed with them for a while. This was a wall I had in my old place (maybe represents a tenth of the ones I actually own...)[quoted image]

Coca colas sold for $30 cdn and the Mickey mouse lot sold for $10.

44327534_1m.jpg44327534_1m.jpg44372257_1m.jpg44372257_1m.jpg
#7319 2 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I loved collecting concert and gig posters. Lost my collection in a flood 20 years ago. Here's a couple at a local collectors auction next week. Check out the opening act for Zappa.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I was in a pawn shop yesterday and saw this concert poster. Hendrix is the opener.

IMG_9119 (resized).JPGIMG_9119 (resized).JPG

And this concert and poster are the real deal.

https://rockandrollroadmap.com/places/where-they-played/other-rock-music-venues/jacksonville-coliseum/

Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 6.56.11 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-03-03 at 6.56.11 PM (resized).png

#7320 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I was in a pawn shop yesterday.

Does that pawn shop sell any individual chess pieces?

#7321 2 years ago

Since I brought The Monkees up, I did not know Michael Nesmith died a couple of months ago. I knew Peter Tork died but not Nesmith.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Nesmith

Anyway, history lesson: Nesmith died a rich bastard because of White Out/Liquid Paper.

https://theweek.com/music/1008001/5-heady-facts-about-late-monkees-singer-songwriter-michael-nesmith

1. Nesmith's mom invented whiteout.
Nesmith was raised in Dallas by his mother, Bette Nesmith Graham, who invented the first correction fluid in 1956 while working as a typist. She turned her whiteout, Liquid Paper, into an office staple, selling the company to Gillette in 1979 for $47.5 million plus royalties. When Graham died in 1980, Nesmith inherited an estimated $50 million.

( Me: She concocted the white out at the kitchen table. It is considered the last of the great kitchen inventions. )

https://moviecultists.com/when-was-whiteout-invented

#7322 2 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

then go to Chuck E Cheese next door and play some video games then order a pitcher of beer and a pizza and watch the animatronic show.
[quoted image]

You're in luck (if you have the space and money) - you can purchase your own slightly used chuck e cheese animatronic show - haha

www.craigslist.org link

#7323 2 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Does that pawn shop sell any individual chess pieces?

At closing time, the knights come alive.

#7324 2 years ago

As a 6 Year Old this was my Inspiration into Sci Fi. Star Trek Came Next.

#7325 2 years ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

[quoted image]

Current picture. Working 12" B&W in the spare bedroom. Nothing but class, baby!

20220303_201635 (resized).jpg20220303_201635 (resized).jpg
#7326 2 years ago
Quoted from ClarkGriswold:

You're in luck (if you have the space and money) - you can purchase your own slightly used chuck e cheese animatronic show - haha
www.craigslist.org link

We have a sometime Pinsider, that Bought a whole setup like this and restored it!

My wife's First boyfriend went on to Design some of the Original Chuck E Puppets in '78...He later did the Small Aliens, on MIB.

His Prototype Moon, Hangs in our House.

20220303_202203 (resized).jpg20220303_202203 (resized).jpgpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#7327 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

My grandparents lived on the farm with well water, part line telephones, and one of these antenna rotators. On Saturday night, gramps would turn that rotator dial to the southeast for Saturday Night wrestling in St. Joseph Missouri. And then on Monday, he turned the dial to the north for wrestling in Omaha Nebraska. And the rotator would make these click click click sounds as it headed for the new setting.
That was in the 60s. To this day, I have never seen another rotator. Until the pic of yours.
Did your rotator make clicking sounds?

Yeah. I don’t remember if it was a click or a grind, but i clearly remember it making noise as you waited for it to turn. We also had well water a party phone line (one ring was for us, two short rings was for them) with the next farm up the road and free tv over the air. I only watched cable tv on rare occasions when we went to a friends place in the city. We used a rotor and antenna until the late 90’s or early 2000’s, then we had a mini dish with 100 channels or more.

#7328 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Since we are talking TVs, the newsies kept talking about the new high res TV that were going to be coming to market. I was like "What for ?. I don't need to be able to see the zit on some actor's nose. And then I got a high res Viseo from Walmart. When it crapped out, I bought a 65" 4K LG TV from a real TV store.
And then I had a chance to see a TV from around 10 years ago at Goodwill. And I found myself wondering how I even managed to watch that thing. I like seeing the zits on the actors' noses.

I just got a "new" T.V from a Good Will store in Downey CA. a few weeks back. It was a new old stock model (XBR-55X810c) still in the box unit 4K with 4HDMI inputs and it still has Component and composite video inputs as well. It fit my needs better than most newer sets. Out the door price: $499 ... no sales tax!
A friend loaned me a 4K HDR Blu Ray player to try on it. It's amazing how much detail there is (there's even a notable difference in cable and over the air viewing).

I think back to my first HDTV from 2008 (a Samsung) and wonder how I managed to watch that!

#7329 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Since I brought The Monkees up, I did not know Michael Nesmith died a couple of months ago. I knew Peter Tork died but not Nesmith.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Nesmith
Anyway, history lesson: Nesmith died a rich bastard because of White Out/Liquid Paper.
https://theweek.com/music/1008001/5-heady-facts-about-late-monkees-singer-songwriter-michael-nesmith
1. Nesmith's mom invented whiteout.
Nesmith was raised in Dallas by his mother, Bette Nesmith Graham, who invented the first correction fluid in 1956 while working as a typist. She turned her whiteout, Liquid Paper, into an office staple, selling the company to Gillette in 1979 for $47.5 million plus royalties. When Graham died in 1980, Nesmith inherited an estimated $50 million.
( Me: She concocted the white out at the kitchen table. It is considered the last of the great kitchen inventions. )
https://moviecultists.com/when-was-whiteout-invented

Mike Nesmith won a Grammy for 1981 for a comedy album. It was a video album:

#7330 2 years ago

I met my wife at a Monkeys concert at Astroworld. I’m still buthurt that they tore it down.

#7331 2 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I met my wife at a Monkeys concert at Astroworld. I’m still buthurt that they tore it down.

The Monkeys tore down Astroworld...Wow

#7332 2 years ago

Nooooo, I met my wife at a Monkeys concert at Astroworld so the park meant a lot to us. We took our kids there for years and years and about 10-15 years later the park closed and they tore it down. Why, because whomever owned the property the park was on thought they could get tons of money for it. It is still a vacant lot and Houston still has no amusement park.

Does that clear things up for you?

#7333 2 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Does that clear things up for you?

Picky picky picky

#7334 2 years ago

The internet has replaced me spending money at the newsstand.

0A22EEE8-7A9E-43DF-84E5-68B72A058EA1 (resized).jpeg0A22EEE8-7A9E-43DF-84E5-68B72A058EA1 (resized).jpeg
#7335 2 years ago

I never bought these, but always wanted them....as advertised on the back cover of my childhood comics.

Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 8.12.24 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-03-04 at 8.12.24 PM (resized).png
#7336 2 years ago

Another poster up for sale today.

44310089_2.jpg44310089_2.jpg
#7337 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

The Monkeys tore down Astroworld...Wow

MLP Rimshot.gifMLP Rimshot.gif

#7338 2 years ago

Where it all started

20220305_133643.jpg20220305_133643.jpg
#7339 2 years ago

That’s awesome!

Quoted from dirkdiggler:Where it all started
[quoted image]

#7340 2 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Where it all started
[quoted image]

Wait! Is tat a "Heavy Sixer" 2600?

Edit: Oops, on closer inspection it's not. but at least it's a model with all six switches on the front.

#7341 2 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Another poster up for sale today.
[quoted image]

Reserved seats: $5.00.

And then Ticketmaster got into the game

#7342 2 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:Wait! Is tat a "Heavy Sixer" 2600?

Edit: Oops, on closer inspection it's not. but at least it's a model with all six switches on the front.

Christmas 82. Still haven't found the box shot. Think it had frogger on it.

Christmas 84 we got a C64. My dad had a associate in the States and when he travel on business the guy would burn floppy disc's full of games. We had every Atari, Coleco, Intelivision, arcade game released.

20220305_140644.jpg20220305_140644.jpg20220305_140707.jpg20220305_140707.jpg
#7343 2 years ago

Favorite childhood toy: a stick and some gravel. How far can you hit it? Batting rocks with sticks never got old. Low overhead and maintenance on that game unless you were stupid enough to do it anywhere near something you could damage.

#7344 2 years ago

Me and my lil Bro'
Boys 'n the Hood
Original OGs from 1960.
20220305_143102 (resized).jpg20220305_143102 (resized).jpg

My brother has since mended his ways
and is now a priest.

#7345 2 years ago

Found this bundle of hand held games. I played one or two of them as a kid. Takes me right back to the 80s. Good times!
The space invaders and asteroids are new retro remakes.

564E69C3-0738-4114-A432-62FDA7AAAD46 (resized).jpeg564E69C3-0738-4114-A432-62FDA7AAAD46 (resized).jpeg
#7346 2 years ago

5th Bday. I loved Pitfall. One of the first games you could scroll left or right.

20220305_134126.jpg20220305_134126.jpg

#7347 2 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

5th Bday. I loved Pitfall. One of the first games you could scroll left or right.
[quoted image]

D52423BE-BC41-473D-A402-22F35AB577CC (resized).jpegD52423BE-BC41-473D-A402-22F35AB577CC (resized).jpeg
#7348 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:I was in a pawn shop yesterday and saw this concert poster. Hendrix is the opener.
[quoted image]
And this concert and poster are the real deal.
https://rockandrollroadmap.com/places/where-they-played/other-rock-music-venues/jacksonville-coliseum/
[quoted image]

Lol! My wife's Dad took her and some of her friends to that concert in Charlotte. She said he lasted about one song before he went out into the concourse to have a smoke and talk to the security guy. She didn't see him again until it was over. Interestingly, she said the Monkees was worse with all the girls screaming non-stop.

I've always told her if people start talking about what concerts they've been to, she should say Hendricks no need to mention the Monkees.

#7349 2 years ago

I always thought the monkeys were kind of a joke band.

#7350 2 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Back in the early '90s, I worked with David Crane, who was the creator of Pitfall. He'd be happy to know that you still remember it fondly.

There are 9,755 posts in this topic. You are on page 147 of 196.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-were-your-favorite-childhood-toys/page/147 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.