BagofGlass (resized).jpg
434599499_10228561822663909_2493513439072746909_n (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2024-03-30 at 7.43.04 PM (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Big Chief pad (resized).png
stfu.gif
speedy-gonzales-movie-donald-trump (resized).jpg
IMG_4109 (resized).JPG
There are 9,757 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 196.
#651 8 years ago
Quoted from electricsquirrel:

I can remember my mother telling me that Super Balls were filled with high pressure oil.
If you broke one open, the oil would squirt out and you could lose an eye!
Oh yeah, golf balls too.
Where do they hear these things?

At one time golf balls actually did have a liquid center, did they not?

#652 8 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I cut open many golf balls as a kid. The ones I saw in the seventies had some rubber-band-sh kind of stuff.
Now that I think about it... I cut open just about everything

No liquid.
faz

#653 8 years ago

A couple of my favorites!

swring_(resized).JPGswring_(resized).JPG

operation_x_500_(resized).jpgoperation_x_500_(resized).jpg

#654 8 years ago

Oh man, that Siren Whistle... I loved mine.

#655 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

A couple of my favorites!

swring_(resized).JPGoperation_x_500_(resized).jpg

Operation X-500? I find it interesting how in the picture the missiles are aimed near the kid's eyes.

#656 8 years ago

Indeed! I shot them at my brother all the time!

On this toy...they Hurt!!!

A couple more...the sad part is I have bins of my old games still.....

hands_(resized).jpghands_(resized).jpg

Vac-u-form_(resized).jpgVac-u-form_(resized).jpg

frustration_(resized).jpgfrustration_(resized).jpg

#657 8 years ago

I was in high school but still sort of a toy:
OriginalHackySack_(resized).jpgOriginalHackySack_(resized).jpg

#658 8 years ago

Nerf mini basketball hoop. The one I had was a metal hoop and mounted on the top of the bedroom door.

51BwmRlE9GL._SY300_QL70__(resized).jpg51BwmRlE9GL._SY300_QL70__(resized).jpg

#659 8 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Quoted from pinball_faz:

I cut open many golf balls as a kid. The ones I saw in the seventies had some rubber-band-sh kind of stuff.
No liquid.
faz

Well, apparently SOME did:

Both Callaway and Titleist both made / make them.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1132/does-the-center-of-a-golf-ball-contain-a-deadly-poison

#660 8 years ago

Two more I remember.
I had the "Show and Tell". It was pretty lame.

shown_(resized).jpgshown_(resized).jpg

johnny-astro_(resized).jpgjohnny-astro_(resized).jpg

#661 8 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Well, apparently SOME did:

THAT'S THE STUFF!!!! Just like a ball of rubber bands!

Hmmm, I don't remember the liquid, but perhaps the balls I was cutting into were so old and dried out there was nothing in left.

I know what I'm doing this weekend
faz

#662 8 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Yes, some of the old golf balls had liquid centers. Some also had steel centers.

#663 8 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

No liquid.
faz

In the early 60s I cut several golf balls open. Most were just continued wrappings of rubber band like material until you got to a steel core. But…there was one that had a squishy rubber core. I poked it with a knife and this white mayonnaise textured goop shot out and onto my face. I don't recall cutting any more golf balls open after that.

#664 8 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

In the early 60s I cut several golf balls open. Most were just continued wrappings of rubber band like material until you got to a steel core. But…there was one that had a squishy rubber core. I poked it with a knife and this white mayonnaise textured goop shot out and onto my face. I don't recall cutting any more golf balls open after that.

I guess my mom was right, then.

E

#665 8 years ago

I guess my mom was right, then.
E

My mom was wrong ... I'm still not blind and don't have hairy palms

#666 8 years ago
Quoted from pinworthy:

I'm pretty sure the OP didn't mean THAT favorite childhood toy.

#667 8 years ago

That reminds me. My favorite game was playing Doctor.

#668 8 years ago

Great thread. So many childhood memories refreshed by seeing some of these old toys.

#669 8 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

No liquid.
faz

you're not old enough then
inside the rubber bands, some balls had a rubber ball. some of those rubber balls were solid, others contained a liquid (not quite sure exactly what it was)

as kids we would cut the plastic "cover" off of a golf ball, rub one side of the exposed rubber bands on the concrete to cut through some of them, then throw the ball to watch it bounce and shoot off in various directions as the rubber bands unwound. good times

#670 8 years ago
Quoted from pinworthy:

So... guess you didn't cut your balls then, huh?

#671 8 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

Some of my favorite times, were riding my Western Flyer bike 5 miles across town to
Christmas Hill Park and Miller's creek
and find and dig up yellow jacket nests and ant hills
and catching bullfrog polliwogs and then dissecting them.
We weren't sadistic, just curious.

#672 8 years ago

Two more I remember.
I had the "Show and Tell". It was pretty lame.

shown_(resized).jpgjohnny-astro_(resized).jpg

Ah yes. Johhny Astro. i had both versions. I had the one pictured, and the hand held one as well.

Johnny_Astro.jpgJohnny_Astro.jpg

#673 8 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Here is an old Sam Snead golf ball.

vintage-sam-snead-100-signature-logo-golf-ball-liquid-center-cadwell-cover-3-5c046c278e13237810f42649cf546495_(resized).jpgvintage-sam-snead-100-signature-logo-golf-ball-liquid-center-cadwell-cover-3-5c046c278e13237810f42649cf546495_(resized).jpg

#674 8 years ago

I never had either one but I sure lusted after that dashboard for a few days.

tumblr_o245wqOE7B1v6k3wbo1_1280_(resized).jpgtumblr_o245wqOE7B1v6k3wbo1_1280_(resized).jpg
monmag_(resized).JPGmonmag_(resized).JPG

#675 8 years ago

81cvTnICIpL._SX425__(resized).jpg81cvTnICIpL._SX425__(resized).jpg

#676 8 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

My first train set was an American Flyer HO set with an engine just like this.

Mine was a 1970 New York Central....my parents saved all my toys for me, and a few years ago I suspended a track in my game-room for it. I still have the original box it came in, and every car had its own individual Styrofoam holder in the shape of a building when you turn them upside-down. I think they are worth more than the whole train!

DSCN1667_(resized).JPGDSCN1667_(resized).JPG

DSCN1666_(resized).JPGDSCN1666_(resized).JPG

DSCN1670_(resized).JPGDSCN1670_(resized).JPG

#677 8 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

tumblr_o245wqOE7B1v6k3wbo1_1280_(resized).jpg
monmag_(resized).JPG

I remember those dashboards!

I wonder what they cost? I'm sure they weren't cheap.

#678 8 years ago

I burned a nice hole in my carpet in my bedroom with a wood burner. I also hit my finger with it once. The edge of the burner was threaded to accept many tip designs. When it hit my finger it left a thread pattern in my skin. Lasted for months since the skin was not really burned just scorched. The "threads" in my finger had to wear off like normal skin layers.
faz

#679 8 years ago

This is not a childhood toy, but after see some of you post pics of your made trains it got me to thinking about the model airplane airport in Germany and I think all you toy lovers would be jazzed by this link and the video in it. There are several videos on youtube about this place if you want to see how they did it.

http://singularityhub.com/2011/05/11/worlds-largest-model-airport-completed-in-hamburg-germany-150-square-meters-costing-4-8-million/

Now, so I can say this post was about toys, I spent a lot of dimes and quarters on these balsa wood gliders. They didn't last long. They were cheap. And I bought a lot of them.

c5c27f8ba9864357b87cae6f8c4e33ba_(resized).jpgc5c27f8ba9864357b87cae6f8c4e33ba_(resized).jpg

#680 8 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

This is not a childhood toy, but after see some of you post pics of your made trains it got me to thinking about the model airplane airport in Germany and I think all you toy lovers would be jazzed by this link and the video in it. There are several videos on youtube about this place if you want to see how they did it.
http://singularityhub.com/2011/05/11/worlds-largest-model-airport-completed-in-hamburg-germany-150-square-meters-costing-4-8-million/
Now, so I can say this post was about toys, I spent a lot of dimes and quarters on these balsa wood gliders. They didn't last long. They were cheap. And I bought a lot of them.
c5c27f8ba9864357b87cae6f8c4e33ba_(resized).jpg

Oh yeah we had those planes too but we would buy 2 and would replace the big front wing with another small back wing. They would really zip around then.

#681 8 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I loved that as a kid!! What was it called??....damn...back to Ebay AGAIN!!!

Found it: 60's Playmobile Dashboard by Deluxe Reading

#682 8 years ago

...and Jimmy Jet by Deluxe Reading 1960's!!! GAD!...I played this forever!!!!

Man!!!!....Can't even find it on Ebay!!!

#683 8 years ago

130705065estes-model-rockets-sum_(resized).jpg130705065estes-model-rockets-sum_(resized).jpg

#684 8 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

That reminds me. My favorite game was playing Doctor.

I learned everything I needed to know
About women from this......no wonder I'm a failure!

The monster magnet, I have mine from when I was 8. I lost it for 10 years, at a relatives, and found again when I was 18.
I keep it stuck to a pin leg today, and use it to pick up dropped screws in the cabinet! My family thinks I am crazy!

#685 8 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

c5c27f8ba9864357b87cae6f8c4e33ba_(resized).jpg

I went and visited Miniature Wunderland and saw it. It just defies description and the imagination. Here is a photo I took of the other side of the airport.

MW_airport_taxis_(resized).jpgMW_airport_taxis_(resized).jpg

This is the control center where they monitor all of the trains.

MW_controlcenter_(resized).jpgMW_controlcenter_(resized).jpg

#686 8 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

I went and visited Miniature Wunderland and saw it. It just defies description and the imagination. Here is a photo I took of the other side of the airport.
MW_airport_taxis_(resized).jpg
This is the control center where the monitor all of the trains.
MW_controlcenter_(resized).jpg

WOW!!!

#687 8 years ago

My wife has always been a big fan of the Thorne rooms at the Chicago Art Institute. We probably visit twice a year. They are cool. Kinda like 'eye spy'

#689 7 years ago

THIS THREAD IS AWESOME!!! So many memories....

You can really see the generations on here by what toys they loved.

Myself, I loved the helicopter on the end of the rod that spun around and went up and down. I see some of the older versions, but I had a newish version with a circular tarp that laid down under it with terrain on it. I used to LOVE using it with my legos. Build a city and have missons! So fun!

I also loved this weird game that I cant find pics of. It was a hiking expedition or something and you moved players along a cliff face to the top of the mountain. The mountain would wake up and eat your pieces or something, I just remember the mountain guy being awesome.

Good times!

#690 7 years ago

jarts01-2vs1lo0kpiuq7tp9bk7abu_(resized).pngjarts01-2vs1lo0kpiuq7tp9bk7abu_(resized).png

#691 7 years ago

My son and I have been treasure hunting in the crawl spaces of the house today......found the old toys of mine from 70's.

20160428_140014_(resized).jpg20160428_140014_(resized).jpg

20160428_140220_(resized).jpg20160428_140220_(resized).jpg

20160428_140053_(resized).jpg20160428_140053_(resized).jpg

20160428_140132_(resized).jpg20160428_140132_(resized).jpg

#692 7 years ago

Not really a toy, but this little am transistor radio kept me company for many hours when I was a kid. I used to hang it from the front reflector of my schwinn and ride around for hours. At night I would put it under my pillow, and listen to old radio shows, when my parents thought I was sleeping.

20160428_141250_(resized).jpg20160428_141250_(resized).jpg

#693 7 years ago

I had that Realtone!

#694 7 years ago
Quoted from hooch333:

My son and I have been treasure hunting in the crawl spaces of the house today......found the old toys of mine from 70's.

20160428_140014_(resized).jpg20160428_140220_(resized).jpg20160428_140053_(resized).jpg20160428_140132_(resized).jpg

Fort Apache was so cool!

And I still have my fully working Lamborghini Countach remote control car just like yours Pontiac Trans Am (my box is in much better conditions)!

#695 7 years ago

This is the kind of thread that I wish Pinside could display just the images from, Google Image style.

Here's another one I remember having:

astrobase_(resized).jpgastrobase_(resized).jpg

#696 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Fort Apache was so cool!

Yeah,....this is going to find new life on the wall of my Western arcade.

#697 7 years ago

It is a shame we don't have more ladies on here posting about their favorite childhood toys. I am sure some additional iconic toys would be posted.

#698 7 years ago

Whenever we went to my grandma/pa's house;
they had a Fort Apache or something similar,
Loved playing Cowboys and Indians,
riding their little horses, with separate saddles.
Prefered the indians, with bows&arrows.

#699 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

It is a shame we don't have more ladies on here posting about their favorite childhood toys. I am sure some additional iconic toys would be posted.

Not that we didn't all try them..

hula_hoopa_(resized).jpghula_hoopa_(resized).jpg

#700 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Not that we didn't all try them..

hula_hoopa_(resized).jpg

No, I did not.

There are 9,757 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 196.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-were-your-favorite-childhood-toys/page/14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.