shot0030 (resized).png
7c12510a8e5f1a58d025bdd0dc5117bc (resized).jpg
Dip+a+flower (resized).jpg
Cap n Crunch sub toy (resized).jpg
diving sub (resized).jpg
Rice Krispies sub toy (resized).jpg
f890af8a42f259126904798df6acb92a (resized).jpg
MD Transformers (resized).jpg

There are 9,736 posts in this topic. You are on page 137 of 195.
#6801 2 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I don't remember liking JCpenny or Macys -- perhaps they had no toy dept's...

I do not recall Penny's or Macy's selling toys. I camped out with a Sears Catalog and had wish lists a mile long.

#6802 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Had not heard this. Back in the 70s the PBA tour on ABC on Saturdays was must watch TV in our house. Roth came from Brooklyn like my Dad so he was a big fan. Both my parents were in leagues back then. Most people don't realize how big bowling was back in the 60s and 70s, guys like Roth and Earl Anthony were making twice as much as the top NFL guys. In 1964 Don Carter was the first athlete to get a million dollar endorsement deal.

Johnny Petraglia was around too. Sort of like Poker, the cash matches were legend! And even way back in the 60's with oiled lanes and old tech for balls, Mark's hook was unreal.

///Rich

#6803 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I have not had an Orange Julius for years. I'd like to have one now.

3F73B233-10EE-413A-931D-481080DD8240 (resized).jpeg3F73B233-10EE-413A-931D-481080DD8240 (resized).jpeg
#6804 2 years ago

I remember playing this Whitman “Who Is The Thief?” card game when I was a kid.

06D463DE-E5FE-4A20-99E8-EED047CA822E (resized).jpeg06D463DE-E5FE-4A20-99E8-EED047CA822E (resized).jpeg90C241E3-99D1-448A-B8F7-2179542DA6BF (resized).jpeg90C241E3-99D1-448A-B8F7-2179542DA6BF (resized).jpeg
#6805 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Heres the May CO at the Whittier Quad and the 87 Earthquake damage to the 3 level parking structure.
My friends and I toured uptown the next day on our bikes.
Unfortunately our Comic Book store the Fortune Bookie was condemned and torn down, as well as the XXX pussycat theatre next door.
Whittier lost some real character in the Quake.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The Pussycat Theatre wasn't torn down (Formerly the Wardman), It was repaired and became the Whittier Village Cinemas. I remember seeing the theatre a few weeks after the earthquake with the Pussycat marquee on the ground and the original Wardman Marquee in view.

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/3211#:~:text=The%20October%201%2C%201987%20Whittier%20Narrows%20earthquake%20nearly,building%20an%20annex%2C%20reopening%20on%20August%2024%2C%201990.

The Whittier theatre (Whittier at Hadley) did not fare as well. It sat in disrepair for several years, and was eventually torn down and replaced with a Walgreens (across the street from McNees park). I only saw two movies there around 1983/1984. The interior was very ornate with facades that looked like balconys and building exteriors.
https://losangelestheatres.blogspot.com/2020/09/whittier-theatre.html

#6806 2 years ago

Oddly enough, The only two movies I remember seeing at the Whittier Village Cinemas were these two:
Parenthood Problem Child (resized).jpgParenthood Problem Child (resized).jpg

#6807 2 years ago

My old hometown became urban exploration capitol of the world.

I was able to see a bit of it before I left in 1990.
One of my old friends has been doing urban spelunking off the radar there his whole life. I later found out. He went to many if not all of these places.

#6808 2 years ago

This abandoned mental institution is where we went to after the midnight movie was over.

https://northville-tunnels.com/

#6809 2 years ago

The mall where we watched the midnight movie…. It would be closed as we walked around waiting for the movie avoiding the security guard.

C8D0141E-A0A8-401C-8149-9B9064C5D037 (resized).jpegC8D0141E-A0A8-401C-8149-9B9064C5D037 (resized).jpeg
#6810 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Now wonder they all went under. Every store was busy eating the other stores up. Not even California has enough population to support all of those malls
I have not had an Orange Julius for years. I'd like to have one now.

I always had one with an egg.

#6811 2 years ago
Quoted from DarthPaul:

Me too, it seems strange now to contemplate that, getting that cold drink with a raw egg in it. But it was sure good as I recall.

#6812 2 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

The mall where we watched the midnight movie…. It would be closed as we walked around waiting for the movie avoiding the security guard.
[quoted image]

The UA Twin located Outside of Los ceritos Mall used to be my go-to place to see movies in the 70's and early 80's:
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

It was the building in the lower left of the picture near the freeway. (this picture has to be somewhere between 1975 and 1978 in it's timeline)

Saw a lot of great movies there (and a few bad ones).
Saw Star Wars there for the first time, saw Superman, Bukaroo Banzi, Island at the top of the World And Battle Beyond the Stars.

#6813 2 years ago

The Whittier theater was great, we went there for midnight movies.
Was it at Hadley and Whittier? I'd forgotten exactly where it was, that was near the juvenal hall?

Mostly we saw midnight Rock movies.
We saw The Who's the Kids are alright Documentary multiple times.
Zepplins The Song Remains the Same.
Woodstock
Niel Youngs, Live Rust? Movie.
And The Thing a year after it came out,
As well as other classic Horror movie revivals.

#6814 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

The Whittier theater was great, we went there for midnight movies.
... Was it at Hadley and Whittier? I'd forgotten exactly where it was, ...

Yup.
And you can see McNees Park to the right of the Theatre.

#6815 2 years ago

And here's a classic theater Pacific Cinemas ruined.
https://www.incinerama.com/lakewoodcenter.htm
Originally had one big Cinerama theater, three smaller theaters were added in the 70's, and then they cut up the Cinerama theater into several smaller ones.

Now Closed down due to Pacific closing down for business.

#6816 2 years ago

Yep yep, just looked it up, another unnecessary victim of the earthquake.
It was fixable, but the owner wanted to redevelop, now it's a shitty Walgreens.

Whittier-AmClassic-CA2751 (resized).jpgWhittier-AmClassic-CA2751 (resized).jpgWhittier-LOC-19 (resized).jpgWhittier-LOC-19 (resized).jpgWhittier-LOC-23 (resized).jpgWhittier-LOC-23 (resized).jpgWhittier-LOC-39-D-R (resized).jpgWhittier-LOC-39-D-R (resized).jpgWhittier-Spero-84 (resized).jpgWhittier-Spero-84 (resized).jpglarge (resized).jpglarge (resized).jpg
#6817 2 years ago

Thank you. I don't get out to the mall much anymore. I did not know there was an OJ there.

The Orange Julius tasted good; I forgot about the ice cream headaches it can bring on .

Thanks your search time.

This is in Towne ( gotta have the "e") East Mall. It seems to do OK. Town West on the other side of town does not get much action anymore.

IMG_8598 (resized).JPGIMG_8598 (resized).JPG

Quoted from DarthPaul:

Raw eggs and oysters on the half-shell are not any way a part of my diet

#6818 2 years ago

Yes, the Lakewood Pacific, and Big Newport were the two Premier giant screens in our area, both were Ruined.

I guess the last movie I will ever see at Lakewood was Star Wars Rouge One. Not a bad one to end an era.

#6819 2 years ago

Watched many a flick during the summers at this venue.

Theatre_Twins (1) (resized).jpgTheatre_Twins (1) (resized).jpga9d3601fb18dc1f27238ff8d8f321bc3--theatres-island-life (resized).jpga9d3601fb18dc1f27238ff8d8f321bc3--theatres-island-life (resized).jpg
#6820 2 years ago

Hey an old theatre that survived!
It's a miracle.
What Town?

#6821 2 years ago

I worked as an usher at the Baseline Drive-In in San Bernardino a few summers, including 1975 for the premier of Jaws. Jaws was really something, there was never anything like it before and probably since. We filled up the theater twice a night something like 10 days in a row, apparently before that it had never been filled to capacity for 2 showings.

I don't know how it is now, but back then even if you were a lowly usher at a drive-in you were sort of part of the movie industry. Maybe we were even in a union, I'm not sure. But if I recall right I had an ID card and it allowed you to get into any theater and watch a movie for free.

large (resized).jpglarge (resized).jpg

#6822 2 years ago

Vashon Island, WA

Cozy little place, has 1 screen.

#6823 2 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Jaws was really something

I stood in line for 4 hours to see Jaws. People were wrapped all the way around the building. That is the only time I ever stood in line for a movie.

#6824 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I stood in line for 4 hours to see Jaws. People were wrapped all the way around the building. That is the only time I ever stood in line for a movie.

Wow, only once?
We always went opening night, usually fridays in 80-89, I stood in a hundred lines for movies.
The biggest crazy fun lines i remember were for Star Trek Motion picture, Return Of the Jedi, Full Metal Jacket, Blue Thunder, Batman, Color of Money, Body Double, Big Trouble in Little China, and Star Trek the Voyage Home.

Not all big hits, but sold out opening night, with great fun audiences.

#6825 2 years ago

Back to catalogs... JC Penney did have toys in their Christmas catalogs. I don't remember whether the stores had a toy department; they very well may have, but we had no money so Mom would have steered us clear if they did. My home town had a Penney's and no Sears, so Penney's was the Xmas catalog we pored over every year.

Here's a link to their 1969 catalog.

https://christmas.musetechnical.com/ShowCatalog/1969-JCPenney-Christmas-Book

This site has a lot of old catalogs. Dunno if it's been pointed out before, but clicking their Home button will give you quite a list!

#6826 2 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

. JC Penney did have toys in their Christmas catalogs. I don't remember whether the stores had a toy department; they very well may have,

They did at one point. I've found Lineol and Elastolin toy German soldiers with JC Penny price stickers on the bottom. We quit trading with Germany in 1938. So that would have been about that time frame.

LTG : )

#6827 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

It was June, the show started when it got dark around 8. We thought the manager was nuts when he told us to show up at 4 on opening night. I got there a little before 4:00 and I could not believe my eyes that there was already a dual line up of cars. By the time we started letting them in they were completely around the block going both ways and blocking all traffic. It was complete insanity.

I watched Jaws around 70 times that summer.

#6828 2 years ago

When this opened in 1978, I stood in line at the Syosset Movie theater for hours.

The Movie was a bit tough to hear and see, as the weed smoke overfilled the entire evening show in the
theater.

#6829 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Wow, only once?
We always went opening night, usually fridays in 80-89, I stood in a hundred lines for movies.
The biggest crazy fun lines i remember were for Star Trek Motion picture, Return Of the Jedi, Full Metal Jacket, Blue Thunder, Batman, Color of Money, Body Double, Big Trouble in Little China, and Star Trek the Voyage Home.
Not all big hits, but sold out opening night, with great fun audiences.

I really was never big on movies. I was usually on the streets spreading hate and discontent. Those only movie I saw 3 times was in 1971 at the military base I was stationed at. Giant with Rock Hudson and Liz Taylor was showing. I did not have a car so I sat through it 3 times.

Once I got my car, I was bar hopping and heading over to my friends to toke up.

My GF and I have been together for 15 years now. She is a movie maven. I have watched more movies (DVDs) in the last 14 years than all the other years of my life.

We have our favorites: Read Window, Thelma and Louise, Hoffa, The Client, The Right Stuff, Erin Brockovich, My Cousin Vinny, 12 Angry Men, Road House, and Jaws.

I like Hunt for Red October and Das Boot.

#6830 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

When this opened in 1978, I stood in line at the Syosset Movie theater for hours.
The Movie was a bit tough to hear and see, as the weed smoke overfilled the entire evening show in the
theater.[quoted image]

And I liked Animal House. My favorite actor was the red Corvette.

This is way back. When Vettes were still cheap. I bought this '59 for $900.00.

img032 (resized).jpgimg032 (resized).jpg

#6831 2 years ago

2 amazing relics from northeast Ohio
Circa late 80s early 90s

Hot dog on a stick
Great corn dogs and lemonade

Next childrens palace
What a great toy store!

82673cf76a14c44afc4ec9096c4ebaca--palaces-toys-r-us (resized).jpg82673cf76a14c44afc4ec9096c4ebaca--palaces-toys-r-us (resized).jpghotdogstick (resized).jpghotdogstick (resized).jpg
#6832 2 years ago

First movie I waited in line for was Batman and T2 was the last.

#6833 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

theater.[quoted image]

I saw it as my first rated r film. It was a double bill with gong show movie.

We wandered in, I was 11.

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/2609/photos

The theater is gone. All good I live in California now.

#6835 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Here's a highlight list of Movies I saw at La Mirada 6. My brother was 9 years older, and I got to tag along starting in 79, when he got his 1970 Mach 1.
Otherwise no way I would have seen so many cool movies from 1980-1985.
A Bridge to Far.
The Fog
Alien
Bear Island.
Star Trek the Motion Picture.x2
The Empire Strikes Back.
Blow Out.
The Big Red One.
Raiders lost Ark.x2
Escape From New York.
Thief.
The Mother Load. X2
The Thing.x2
Conan The Barbarian.
Tron.
Cat People.
Altered States.
Looker.
American Werewolf in London.
Das Boot x2
Blade Runner.x2
Wrath of Khan.
Outland.x2
Dragonslayer.
The Verdict.
A Passage To India.
Starman.
Gandhi.
Trading Places.
Gorky Park.
Body Double.
Blue Thunder.x3
Halloween 3.
The Mean Season
Return of the Jedi .x2
The Terminator.
Rocky 4
Against all Odds.
Star Trek, Voyage Home
Into The Night.
Godzilla 1985.
Miracle Mile.
To Live and Die in L.A.x2
Manhunter.
The Color of Money x3
The Last Emperor.
Empire of the Sun.
The Mission.
Top Gun.
A View to a Kill.
Big Trouble in Little China .x2
At Close Range .
The Untouchables.
Aliens.x2
52 Pickup x2
Platoon .
Ferris Bueller.
Enemy Mine.
Mad Max, Beyond Thunderdome. X2
Full metal Jacket.x2
Something Wild.
The Blob.
The Serpent and the Rainbow.
Prince of Darkness.
The Presideo.
Less than Zero.
Bill and Ted's. X8? our stupid high school movie, god knows how many times we all went.
We saw it at least 5 different locations.
Pet Cemetary was the last film I saw at the La Mirada Mall.
Even though the mall was obviously dying it was still a shock when they locked the doors for good.
[quoted image]

They should take old malls and make schools out of them.

#6836 2 years ago

in holland michigan they did just that......the jc pennys end of the mall is now grand rapids community college

#6837 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Yes, the Lakewood Pacific, and Big Newport were the two Premier giant screens in our area, both were Ruined.
I guess the last movie I will ever see at Lakewood was Star Wars Rouge One. Not a bad one to end an era.

First three movies I saw at Lakewood Pacific Theater were Alien, Star Trek (When the 70mm version came out in early 1980) and The Empire Strikes Back.

#6838 2 years ago

Empire Strikes Back was the Cinedome in Orange for us. But a funny memory - I can say for sure that we got our tickets to go see it in advance, probably on opening day or maybe the next day. What I can't recall is how we did that exactly. There was no internet then! What was the process? Call in and order it, and get them in the mail? I can't remember. How did we do it with no internet? How did we survive???

cinedome (resized).jpgcinedome (resized).jpg

#6839 2 years ago

You drove to the theatre and bought advance tickets at the box office.
You can still do it today.
They used to announce when tickets were available for sale.
We bought lots of advance tickets for movies.
We camped out for Phamtom Menace tickets at Lakewood, there were about a hundred of us waiting.

#6840 2 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Empire Strikes Back was the Cinedome in Orange for us. But a funny memory - I can say for sure that we got our tickets to go see it in advance, probably on opening day or maybe the next day. What I can't recall is how we did that exactly. There was no internet then! What was the process? Call in and order it, and get them in the mail? I can't remember. How did we do it with no internet? How did we survive???
[quoted image]

Ah, yes. The Cinedome. Saw Return of the Jedi there on opening day (eem like it was around 8 A.M. in the morning when I saw it). saw a lot of great movies there in the 1980's. Superman II, Raiders of the lost Ark, Gandhi, Aliens... All in one of the big domes. Also got to see a preview of The Last Starfighter there about a month before it officially opened.

#6841 2 years ago

Do you think Chuck Barris of The Gong Show was a CIA agent?

#6842 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

This is way back. When Vettes were still cheap.

What a hick!
And I say that with much Love.

#6843 2 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

What a hick!

Also like the Cragar mags on the Vette.

#6844 2 years ago

Super Shops baby !!

#6845 2 years ago

Two of many knives I used to own as a boy.
I was even able to get on airplanes with that buck knife.
Those were the days.

Screenshot_20211210-205200_eBay (resized).jpgScreenshot_20211210-205200_eBay (resized).jpgVintage-80S-Taiwan-Rambo-Hunting-Survival-Bowie-Knife (resized).jpgVintage-80S-Taiwan-Rambo-Hunting-Survival-Bowie-Knife (resized).jpg
#6846 2 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

What a hick!

It was 1971. I was in the military. This is the barracks parking lot. I was young---with an attitude . Back when the style was the guys with their hair down to their ass, and barefoot hippies running around, I was stuck with short hair so I tried to non-conform as much as possible The Navy allowed us to grow beards in early 70s;I took advantage of it.

Eventually, the Corvette moved on, and a '54 Harley Panhead started pinching my pocket book.

I wish I still had them both.

#6847 2 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Those were the days.
[quoted image][quoted image]

That dredged up another childhood memory, playing mumblypeg. Man if our moms knew what we were up to….

#6848 2 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Those were the days.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I’m 50 years old and can’t remember when I got this Buck knife. I also have the same exact one you do that I keep in the console of my Landcruiser. Approx when did you get yours? Late 1980’s early 1990’s?

D6DFBD7C-6AB8-423A-B6DA-C13825BD51C9 (resized).jpegD6DFBD7C-6AB8-423A-B6DA-C13825BD51C9 (resized).jpeg
#6849 2 years ago

I grew up with uncles that are 10 years older than I am. My grandparents kept Everything they had. They watched me all the time so I played with things from the 60’s and 70’s plus the toys I had from the 80’s. Wish I still had them (both grandparents and toys).
Just to keep with the theme going now, The first movie I went to see on my own was Star Wars Empire Strikes Back.

#6850 2 years ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

I’m 50 years old and can’t remember when I got this Buck knife. I also have the same exact one you do that I keep in the console of my Landcruiser. Approx when did you get yours? Late 1980’s early 1990’s?

You and I are only 1 year apart and I wish I still had that one. Image was care of ebay.
Best of my recollection it was the mid 80s.
Sadly don't recall where I even got it, but my guess is an Oshmans Sporting Goods store in the local mall.

There are 9,736 posts in this topic. You are on page 137 of 195.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-were-your-favorite-childhood-toys/page/137 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.