stfu.gif
speedy-gonzales-movie-donald-trump (resized).jpg
IMG_4109 (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20240319-093421 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240318_220904_Chrome (resized).jpg
Unknown (resized).jpeg
2024-03-18_09-56-44 (resized).jpg
shot0037 (resized).png
There are 9,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 135 of 196.
#6701 2 years ago

My Mom had these low-budget pilgrim and turkey candles that she set around on side tables in the living room for Thanksgiving. They never got lit though. Are you supposed to sit and watch the pilgrim’s head melt off? They basically gathered dust for a month then got put away for another year.

CC17754E-D670-4018-BAF0-EB87C12805E3 (resized).jpegCC17754E-D670-4018-BAF0-EB87C12805E3 (resized).jpeg
#6702 2 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

My Mom had these low-budget pilgrim and turkey candles that she set around on side tables in the living room for Thanksgiving. They never got lit though. Are you supposed to sit and watch the pilgrim’s head melt off? They basically gathered dust for a month then got put away for another year.
[quoted image]

I had a turkey candle like that. Don’t remember where it came from or where it went

#6703 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I had a turkey candle like that. Don’t remember where it came from or where it went.

We had a turkey like that one year. I didn't like it. It tasted like wax.

#6704 2 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

[quoted image]

Hilarious. The things we do.

#6705 2 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

We had a turkey like that one year. I didn't like it. It tasted like wax.

What does wax taste like? I have never tried it.

#6706 2 years ago
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#6707 2 years ago

Extremely offensive or super rare 30s cool? We really like it but not sure if kosher to own as white people. Wife asked how'd we'd explain it. Thoughts?

43673004_1.jpg43673004_1.jpg
#6708 2 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Extremely offensive or super rare 30s cool? We really like it but not sure if kosher to own as white people. Wife asked how'd we'd explain it. Thoughts?
[quoted image]

Well, if you should feel COMPELLED to explain it, you can say that was manufactured long ago and people didn't wake up looking to be offended each and every day. That should shut them down. Don't play into it.

#6709 2 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

[quoted image]

Falls under the category of Black Americana. Stereotypical caricature type items with sinister purposes of putting down on an entire race of people. Offensive to many. And some pieces are quite valuable as collector items.

#6710 2 years ago
Quoted from CubeSnake:

and people didn't wake up looking to be offended each and every day.

Of which people do you speak?

#6711 2 years ago

Anyone remember this? Looks like a early version of hungry hungry hippos

43672907_1.jpg43672907_1.jpg
#6712 2 years ago

Way different then the pedal cars I remember but still pretty cool. German made. I'm currently the high bidder at $15

43672516_2.jpg43672516_2.jpg
#6713 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Stereotypical caricature type items with sinister purposes of putting down on an entire race of people. Offensive to many.

Last year my niece was playing my Frontiersman. She is one of the few family members that always enjoys playing a few games over the holidays. She's like 63% Native American. I pointed out the drunken Indian on the backglass and ask if she was offended? She just laughed and said hell no, kept playing away. Of course she had a few drinks in her at that point so maybe she wasn't thinking critically.

Edit: Not trying to make statement with this post, just thought it was funny and ironic.

#6714 2 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Last year my niece was playing my Frontiersman. She is one of the few family members that always enjoys playing a few games over the holidays. She's like 63% Native American. I pointed out the drunken Indian on the backglass and ask if she was offended? She just laughed and said hell no, kept playing away. Of course she had a few drinks in her at that point so maybe she wasn't thinking critically.

Things like that can be funny---unless it is you being made fun of. Once you start looking through history in all of its ugliness the funny part goes away.

Try these. They are relevant to dirkdiggler's post.

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/how-america-bought-and-sold-racism/

https://www.ferris.edu/HTMLS/news/jimcrow/collect.htm

#6715 2 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Edit: Not trying to make statement with this post, just thought it was funny and ironic.

Props to your niece! She has common sense, which sadly isn't so common anymore.

#6716 2 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

[quoted image]

There was an interesting PBS documentary on this topic a couple of years ago. It is called "Black Memorobilia". It explored questions such as "When are objects immoral, and when is it right or wrong to possess them? Does historic value supersede offensiveness?"

https://www.pbs.org/independentlens/documentaries/black-memorabilia/

In a similar vein, professor David Brody looks at visual imagery and Orientalism in his book "Visualizing American Empire: Orientalism and Imperialism in the Philippines". It is well researched and provides numerous illustrations and examples.

https://www.amazon.com/Visualizing-American-Empire-Orientalism-Imperialism/dp/0226075346/

We call this our "racist lamp." It came from my parent's estate, and I did not have the heart to part with it. It definitely skirts the line between kitsch and offensiveness.

50s Kitsch (resized).png50s Kitsch (resized).png

#6717 2 years ago

Humor based on stereotyping is uncreative at best and harmful at worst. Still...

Quoted from zombywoof:

We call this our "racist lamp."

Which one? The lava lamp, which obviously makes light of the danger of volcanoes and of the resulting tribulations of people near them?

What could be the problem with the other one? Do far eastern people not exist? The eyes are a tad exaggerated, big whoop. I wonder where it was made.

#6718 2 years ago

Yes, the lamp is a mild example, and yes, it was indeed made overseas (for the American market). Read Brody's book if you are interested in a well researched exploration of what I find are interesting questions about visualization and race.

#6719 2 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

In a similar vein, professor David Brody looks at visual imagery and Orientalism in his book "Visualizing American Empire: Orientalism and Imperialism in the Philippines". It is well researched and provides numerous illustrations and examples.

Thanks for this link. Amazon unloaded the introduction. It looks like it will be quite interesting. I think I am going to have to buy it.

#6720 2 years ago

Sounds interesting. I'll add it to the pile!

#6721 2 years ago

Anyone remember Skelly Truck Stops? They were all along the interstates in the late 1960’s. My dad would stop at these during family vacation road trips. Kind of a fuzzy memory for me. Just remembered the name “Skelly” after a few beers tonight.

6854F24F-0431-4087-8A12-AA0FABA4A6D6 (resized).jpeg6854F24F-0431-4087-8A12-AA0FABA4A6D6 (resized).jpeg7CE99E36-7292-4F1D-90B1-BC3276AE6C5C (resized).jpeg7CE99E36-7292-4F1D-90B1-BC3276AE6C5C (resized).jpeg
#6722 2 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

Anyone remember Skelly Truck Stops?

I remember Stuckey's - we use to argue how it was pronounced (long U or short U - it's long, rhymes with lucky). Still in business selling candy and their name evidently (https://stuckeys.com/)

This one in Springfield Illinois is now a cool restaurant called Motorhead's that has been under constant improvement since it opened. May go there today now that I think about it, pretty good food and a great slice of auto Americana.

stuckey's (resized).jpgstuckey's (resized).jpgmotorheads-springfield-il-800x601 (resized).jpgmotorheads-springfield-il-800x601 (resized).jpgMotorheads-1200x676 (resized).jpgMotorheads-1200x676 (resized).jpg
#6723 2 years ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

I remember Stuckey's - we use to argue how it was pronounced (long U or short U - it's long, rhymes with lucky). Still in business selling candy and their name evidently (https://stuckeys.com/)
This one in Springfield Illinois is now a cool restaurant called Motorhead's that has been under constant improvement since it opened. May go there today now that I think about it, pretty good food and a great slice of auto Americana.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I would not have imagined that plain looking building had a killer ceiling.

#6724 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I would not have imagined that plain looking building had a killer ceiling.

Yes, the ceiling is beautiful. The first time we walked into the place they had just opened, didn't even have a full menu, the parking lot was still gravel, not nearly as much memorabilia, no sign - the place still looked pretty dumpy from the outside, then you came in and saw that ceiling and understood the attraction of the site. (Oh, it is right at an exit on I-55, location helps )

Since that sign picture they have built a big music/party hall and done even more to the outside.

#6725 2 years ago

Now thinking I should have put this here instead of starting a new thread (that no one has visited… boo-hoo).

Anyway, someone here is bound to know what I am talking about!

And here’s the Cinnamon Bear!

Anyone else listening?

Mom grew up counting down the days to Christmas with her family while listening to Cinnamon Bear on the radio. Many years later, she played it on cassettes for me and my brothers when we were little.

No binge listening this time though… I will do an episode a day between now and Dec. 24th!

I’m listening on Prime Music, but it’s also on YouTube, a bunch of other places, and freely downloadable at:

https://www.oldtimeradiodownloads.com/kids/the-cinnamon-bear

#6726 2 years ago

Yum!

Stuckeys Candies (resized).jpegStuckeys Candies (resized).jpeg

#6727 2 years ago

Road trips before GPS lol
That took me back to the early 2000s
Printed out directions way early mapquest

On way to NY umm where’s page 7?

I don’t know dude…..

#6728 2 years ago

75322622_10158234314535476_4082125596031713280_n (resized).jpg75322622_10158234314535476_4082125596031713280_n (resized).jpg

Snopes says it is true. and gives a nice write up about the article.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/cellphone-prediction-from-1953/

The title of the article is " There'll no escape in the future from telephones".

Uhhh , wait, Hang on a minute. OK? I gotta take this call.

#6729 2 years ago
Quoted from rollinover:

Road trips before GPS lol
That took me back to the early 2000s
Printed out directions way early mapquest

That took me back to the mid 1970s, road trips before cell phones, GPS, and the internet. Bring your Rand McNally Road Atlas, and pick up local maps at gas stations as you travel. You didn't always know your exact route before you left the house, you'd navigate as you went along. You might stop at a pay phone when you're close to your destination to let the people know you will get there soon. But otherwise no phone calls along the route (too expensive).
In the 80s and 90s, I started using the DeLorme Atlas and Gazetteer map books. They are still great! They show every dirt road, footpath, and other features in addition to detailed road maps. I went many places in Colorado, Wyoming, Arizona, and Utah using those maps and no other navigation system.
In the 90s, I liked hiking unmarked routes in Colorado using topo maps and a compass (orienteering). It's a great survival skill - don't need no stinking GPS! But it does help to be able to get up high enough to see some distant landmarks. Not always possible in heavily wooded areas.

ColoradoGazetteer (resized).pngColoradoGazetteer (resized).png
#6730 2 years ago
Quoted from DCP:

That took me back to the mid 1970s, road trips before cell phones, GPS, and the internet. Bring your Rand McNally Road Atlas, and pick up local maps at gas stations as you travel. You didn't always know your exact route before you left the house, you'd navigate as you went along. You might stop at a pay phone when you're close to your destination to let the people know you will get there soon. But otherwise no phone calls along the route (too expensive).
In the 80s and 90s, I started using the DeLorme Atlas and Gazetteer map books. They are still great! They show every dirt road, footpath, and other features in addition to detailed road maps. I went many places in Colorado, Wyoming, Arizona, and Utah using those maps and no other navigation system.
In the 90s, I liked hiking unmarked routes in Colorado using topo maps and a compass (orienteering). It's a great survival skill - don't need no stinking GPS! But it does help to be able to get up high enough to see some distant landmarks. Not always possible in heavily wooded areas.
[quoted image]

One real nice thing about road maps as opposed to maps on the cellphone: They don't need cell phone connection in the middle of nowhere.

#6731 2 years ago

What old time musicians are still around?

Jerry Lee Lewis is the last one left of his contemporaries...................................................................86 years old. Still out there touring.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Lee_Lewis

Willie Nelson was recording back then and writing songs for others before he made it big in the 70s.........88 years old ( must be from smoking all of that Willie's Reserve )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Nelson

Loretta Lynn made her first record in 1960. She is still living but had stroke in 2017 and no longer tours.......89 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loretta_Lynn

Dolly Parton got here start on the Porter Wagoner show in 1967. She is still out there working...................75 years

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolly_Parton

Tony Bennett made it big in 1962 with " I left my heart in San Fransisco" in 1962........................................95 years

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Bennett

At 95, he is retiring.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/28/entertainment/tony-bennett-lady-gaga-concert/index.html

Have I missed anybody?

#6732 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Have I missed anybody?

How about the Queen of Rockabilly, Wanda Jackson. She's been performing since the early 50s and just cut a new record this year with Joan Jett as producer.

https://www.wandajacksonmusic.com

#6733 2 years ago

Paul McCartney is 79, Mick Jagger 78

#6734 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Paul McCartney is 79, Mick Jagger 78

I did not count the rockers. But, yes, they both are still going strong. Is Ringo still promoting his All Star Band?

#6735 2 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

How about the Queen of Rockabilly, Wanda Jackson. She's been performing since the early 50s and just cut a new record this year with Joan Jett as producer.
https://www.wandajacksonmusic.com

Thank you, I forgot all about Wanda Jackson. I did not know she was still around.

#6736 2 years ago

Then there's Connie Smith. She got her start in '63 and just released her 54th!!! album this year.

Connie Smith (resized).jpegConnie Smith (resized).jpeg

#6737 2 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

Then there's Connie Smith. She got her start in '63 and just released her 54th!!! album this year.
[quoted image]

I thought she had died. I guess I was thinking about Lynn Anderson.

#6738 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

What old time musicians are still around? Have I missed anybody?

As reported by Vicky Mitchell:
"We were eating at Fuddruckers in Houston, Texas on Saturday, October 9, 2021 and my nieces sat by Elvis!"
(Several other people have also reported seeing mister Presley at various places earlier this year.)

#6739 2 years ago

Harry Belafonte is 94, as mooch reported in this very thread back in March.

#6740 2 years ago

How about a tribute to a great one we just lost recently. Graeme Edge, drummer for The Moody Blues.

4D7712A1-9171-4668-BBAC-84052FE1D972 (resized).jpeg4D7712A1-9171-4668-BBAC-84052FE1D972 (resized).jpeg

#6741 2 years ago

I was a big He-Man fan when I was young and pleased to see it getting a reboot

20211130_100241.jpg20211130_100241.jpg
#6742 2 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I was a big He-Man fan when I was young and pleased to see it getting a reboot
[quoted image]

Don't you mean ANOTHER reboot?
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3129484/

#6743 2 years ago

My wife told me that she has never played Jenga! It was so popular- How did she never play it? I played it so many times in the 90’s before I met her. So I bought a Jenga game today and we had a blast with it. It’s funny how introducing someone to something new for them makes it fun again for you.

479F2FA2-053E-4642-B284-05955DAE5B25 (resized).jpeg479F2FA2-053E-4642-B284-05955DAE5B25 (resized).jpeg
#6744 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Have I missed anybody?

You forgot Pat Boone (activate since 1954)

Sorry, i do not know how to mark this post as
not suitable for kids or office viewing.

#6745 2 years ago

How many of you , sometime in the early 70s, remember when The Beatles started to be referred to in discussions as The Early Beatles and The Late Beatles? And people had their preferences.

And then sometime in the 90s, teenagers started asking their parents if Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings?

And now The Beatles are a pinball machine. Early Beatles. The music is still as fresh to me today as it was the day I first heard it in 1964.

#6746 2 years ago

My first exposure to the Beatles was early 45s from my older sisters. My first album exposure was the White Album from the younger of those two sisters. I like the narrative of a group that plays their own instruments learning their chops in the bars of postwar Hamburg (sorry, Pete Best). To be honest, I may like their covers from the early period best. For albums, I would rather listen to Rubber Soul and later.

#6747 2 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

My first album exposure was the White Album

Great album, but I wore the grooves off of Abbey Road.

#6748 2 years ago

Got back yet?

Disney+ Beatles doc clocks in at 8 hours….and it’s too short
Watched it over thanksgiving holiday and it has stuck with me all week. Enough so that I just finished rewatching part 1 this morning. Watched the VHS tape many many years ago and have offer wondered what would have been my reaction if I was a dude walking the streets of 69 London and hearing the sound coming from the rooftops. Had to be incredible if you were there.
Anyway …the new film brought back a nearly 25 year old forgotten memory. So let me take you down cause I was going to get gas and while I was filling up I noticed a crowd of maybe 30 people starting to gather across the street in a newly opened strip mall parking lot. Was a nice early spring day and had nothing going on so figured what the hell I’ll go check it out. Parked the car and walked over to join the small crowd that I now see is surrounding a stacked group of tractor trailer shipping containers in a newly paved lot. Had no idea what the hell was going but within minutes I think I see an overweight John Lennon, a too tall Paul McCartney, a too young George and a too handsome Ringo climb up behind and then on top of one of the encircled containers. Not and instrument or mic in sight so still not sure what it is I’m seeing. Guys were dressed in Abbey Road album cover clothes with proper wigs and facial hair to match. Cool? I guess. John said something to the crowd in a horrible Liverpudlian accent and told the boys to get down. He sent Ringo to open the doors on the lower container and they all quickly disappeared inside.
Huh? What the hell just happened? We’re they done? No. 5 minutes later the now larger crowd hear the muffled opening riff to Revolution coming from inside the closed trailer. Soon the whole band joins in and sound like a A.M. radio submerged in a bucket of dog shit. Us outsiders hear…it’s gonna be allriggght , you know it’s gonna be allllriight. Then nothing. Next we hear the bass line to Get Back as the doors of the trailer open and a forklift pulls the small stage and the still performing band out into the crowd. Free from the enclosure they now sounded incredible. The real Beatles would have been ashamed of them selves for not thinking to open a show like that. It truly was surreal.
A surprise afternoon concert was not what I was expecting, ok maybe coming across a random show featuring your local bar band is common but the mother fucking Beatles being pulled out of a tractor trailer is a rare sight. A group of rusted shipping containers isn’t exactly a swinging London rooftop and a Beatle cover band is not a John Paul George or Ringo. But the band was good. 2 hour set from 64-70. Kinda embarrassed to admit how much I enjoyed that day. (Even more embarrassed that I forgot about it) No I didn’t see the real rooftop concert. But damn if the feeling wasn’t there. Really give me more of an appreciation of what the Beatles (and music in general) can do. I’ve gone to hundreds of concerts but I have never had one come to me.
CB735232-DFEB-4FF4-B4EC-BCC8D3C396A6 (resized).jpegCB735232-DFEB-4FF4-B4EC-BCC8D3C396A6 (resized).jpeg

#6749 2 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

Disney+ Beatles doc clocks in at 8 hours….and it’s too short
Watched it over thanksgiving holiday and it has stuck with me all week. Enough so that I just finished rewatching part 1 this morning.

I told someone on another thread that I was not interested in seeing the rehash. And then I changed my mind and took out a Disney subscription and watched all three episodes. And now I am watching them again.

Here are a couple of things I got from it.

1) Their reverence for the late manager, Brian Epstein. They referred to him as Mr. Epstein. Not as Brian, but as Mr. Epstein. That surprised me.

2) They were toying around and singing something about Pakistani. Pakistan immigrants. England was having an immigration problems at the time in 1969. But there was a young immigrant from Zanzibar who immigrated to England, and then founded a super group in 1970. I'm sure you all have heard of Freddy Mercury and Queen.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/pathways/citizenship/brave_new_world/immigration.htm

3) In my young boy's mind in the 60s, I thought these guys had it made. Everybody was screaming. Everybody wanted a piece of you. You are on top of the world. My friends and I were all about The Beatles The Beatles The Beatles. That sort of stuff.

And with this Get Back session, I see the hard work and the drudgery of coming up with new music. I see 4 guys stuck together for days on end. They have to get along. And maybe, just maybe Pete Best did not fit in and Ringo was the better guy to live with.

#6750 2 years ago

How many of you remember the granny glasses fad?

8213678478242fefafd9c64272bc028f--roger-mcguinn-clarence-white (resized).jpg8213678478242fefafd9c64272bc028f--roger-mcguinn-clarence-white (resized).jpg

images (resized).jpegimages (resized).jpeg

images-1 (resized).jpegimages-1 (resized).jpeg

There are 9,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 135 of 196.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-were-your-favorite-childhood-toys/page/135 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.