stfu.gif
speedy-gonzales-movie-donald-trump (resized).jpg
IMG_4109 (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20240319-093421 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240318_220904_Chrome (resized).jpg
Unknown (resized).jpeg
2024-03-18_09-56-44 (resized).jpg
shot0037 (resized).png
There are 9,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 129 of 196.
#6401 2 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Growing up, we were 15 miles from what was rumored to be the third largest stockpile of nuclear weapons in the US.
KI Sawyer air base in Michigan's Upper Peninsula was not that far from the Soviet Union if you fly straight over the North Pole.
They had B-52's and fighters that we would see flying over once in a while.
A B-52 flying low for practice is pretty impressive.
We always figured that if things went bad, we would just be vaporized and wouldn't even know what happened.[quoted image][quoted image]

Quoted from DCP:

I grew up less than a mile from Nike missile site C-93. It was active until I was a junior in high school, 1974. We would occasionally see the missiles as we drove by on the highway when they had them lifted up out of their bunkers.
It's crazy that they actually had nuclear warheads, ready to launch, stored right next to suburban neighborhoods.
This did have a big effect on the worldview of many of us who grew up in those days.

You are talking M.A.D. Mutually Assured Destruction. The guarantee was if you launch your missiles then we will launch ours and we all die. It was insane foreign policy.

I saw one of those old cartoon type educational movies put out by the Dept. of Defense ( I wish I could find it on you tube). The U.S maintained 3 Air Force bases along our northern border. I think Minot North Dakota was one base. The other was in Washington state. And the 3rd might have been your base in Michigan, but not sure.

Anyway, all 3 bases had 3 B-52s in the air at all times. They flew in a counter clockwise circle over Canada and to the edge of the Soviet Union from over the North Pole. Within this 3-base 9-plane rotation, there was always one B-52 in position to launch its nuclear missiles at a moments notice.

As soon as Michigan's ( I'll say MI) B-52 rolled out of the Soviet orbit, a North Dakota B-52 would roll into position. As soon as the 2nd B-52 rolled out, the B-52 from Washington state rolled into position.

It has been several years since I saw this military "cartoon", but I believe this is what the U.S practiced for years. Always 9 B-52s in the air. Just the amount of jet fuel consumed for this Cold War action boggles one's mind.

There were missile silos all around Wichita's surrounding areas. The reason was to protect McConnell AFB which was a Strategic Air Command (SAC) base.

Here are just a few. Everybody loved Uncle Sugar keeping them in jobs building enough weaponry to blow us all up.

52d3cfe269b9ccb3a734b9fc950f66c4--bunker-missle-silo (resized).jpg52d3cfe269b9ccb3a734b9fc950f66c4--bunker-missle-silo (resized).jpg

R.81dd68dd0aceee7a442ab768a989551f (resized).jpegR.81dd68dd0aceee7a442ab768a989551f (resized).jpeg

R.da63e913c1fff93b924a6c6231cff245 (resized).jpegR.da63e913c1fff93b924a6c6231cff245 (resized).jpeg

card00324_fr (resized).jpgcard00324_fr (resized).jpg

#6402 2 years ago

I was told there was a NIKE missile base just 3 miles down the road from the house I grew up in. I remember yellow buildings and the driveway with some kind of military base sign. It was fenced in. But a search on missile bases in Michigan did not confirm. but there was one about 10-15 miles away...my search found this:

Michael Willie is a Vietnam veteran, and he also served at a Nike missile base in the Detroit area from 1968-69.

Willie served at the Union Lake Nike Base in Commerce Township. That base is now not much more than a large, overgrown field with some dirt and concrete pathways. The “H” of a helicopter landing pad seems to be the only nod to what began here in the mid-1950s.

Nike bases were split into two areas - an Integrated Fire Control (IFC) site with radar detection and a missile launch site where the weapons were stored.

Willie ran the launch control.

“I was making sure good communication happened between the missile silos and the radar area,” he said. “I was basically a glorified telephone operator, but I had the capability to light the candle.”

Meaning he had the capability to fire a missile. But no missiles were ever fired from here. The Cold War was called the Cold War for a reason, after all.

Willie spent each day in the presence of these sleeping giants, which were housed in large silos.

“The silos are a great big rectangular room made out of concrete down in the ground. On the top is steel grating with steel doors that opened up.”

Inside, the missiles sat on rails that enabled them to slide back and forth. An elevator raised them up in preparation for a launch or servicing. The missiles Willie worked with had four booster engines strapped to them. This brought each weapon to about 40 feet long, six feet wide and more than 10,000 pounds – roughly the weight of three cars.

#6403 2 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

Here’s a shot of the box from a 1980s release of Pass the Pigs. A buddy of mine used to have this game.
[quoted image]

That's not the Makin' Bacon position I remember!

#6404 2 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Do we need to be discussing your reprobate mind

#6405 2 years ago
0E29FB2D-7BA4-4C10-A0F7-7A2C2A98E146 (resized).jpeg0E29FB2D-7BA4-4C10-A0F7-7A2C2A98E146 (resized).jpeg
#6406 2 years ago

Quoted from cottonm4:

Do we need to be discussing your reprobate mind

I mean there was a different position shown on the game instructions!

#6407 2 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Growing up, we were 15 miles from what was rumored to be the third largest stockpile of nuclear weapons in the US.
KI Sawyer air base in Michigan's Upper Peninsula was not that far from the Soviet Union if you fly straight over the North Pole.
They had B-52's and fighters that we would see flying over once in a while.
A B-52 flying low for practice is pretty impressive.
We always figured that if things went bad, we would just be vaporized and wouldn't even know what happened.[quoted image][quoted image]

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2019/03/07/lake-michigan-ufo-sightings/3078683002/

I was thinking there must be some activity after I read your post.

#6408 2 years ago

I thought you all might find this interesting.

My late grandfather invented the milk spout. I was told this only once or twice in my life. He died in 64 or 65 and I was born in 67.

But he invented that folding thing we all know and love.

After my stroke and three brain surgeries, I wrote a book and this is a small part of it. Figuring out what happened and if it was true.

The chapter is called “hidden figures of bodak”.

He was given like 75 grand and a nice new car. ( a convertible, I’m told). This was the early sixties, so he was compensated well. The company had patented it.

I have pictures of my grandfather posing with the first automated folding device.

It’s kind of cool. Maybe some of his grey matter is in my head, too. We shall see.

I will post the photos when I find them again. Also there is a picture of him and his relatives in like Coney Island or somewhere, I swear it looks like scene out of reservoir dogs. There are four of them walking.

The immigrants from Hungary.

Also there is a bodak violin maker; but that milk spout- That is a masterpiece grandpa!

#6409 2 years ago

I mean there was a different position shown on the game instructions!

If you say so

#6410 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

If you say so

Well, as it turns out, my memory has failed me again. Big surprise!

The confusion was due to the renaming of Makin' Bacon to Oinker, for any time the two pigs touch. I thought the original name made more sense than it turns out it did. I'm pretty sure actual pigs need to touch in a particular way to be makin' the bacon!

I did learn however that the original 1970s game was called Pig Mania.

#6411 2 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

...The company had patented it....

You should look for the patent application and I think you can find them online. Patents can only be in the name of a person. The inventor if you will. Persons can assign the rights to a company but his name should be on the application somewhere.

My father always talked about his uncle I.D. Wolfson who invented the clip on bow-tie. Turns out it was not the clip-on we knew but something he called the Adjusto in 1922 that was an adjustable band on a regular bow tie. But it is a family story that is fun and you should look for the original documents as having them is part of our family histories.

///Rich

PS-Likely the company paid for the patent lawyers and the work to prepare an application. But again, if he invented it his name should be on the documents

#6412 2 years ago
Quoted from RichWolfson:

You should look for the patent application and I think you can find them online. Patents can only be in the name of a person. The inventor if you will. Persons can assign the rights to a company but his name should be on the application somewhere.
My father always talked about his uncle I.D. Wolfson who invented the clip on bow-tie. Turns out it was not the clip-on we knew but something he called the Adjusto in 1922 that was an adjustable band on a regular bow tie. But it is a family story that is fun and you should look for the original documents as having them is part of our family histories.
///Rich
PS-Likely the company paid for the patent lawyers and the work to prepare an application. But again, if he invented it his name should be on the documents

Thanks for the info. I have considered pursuing this in some way. You never know. I got to deeper now I will find the pictures and the patent online.

It might be interesting if it became a windfall. You never know. I have some very interesting luck. I would not trade it to anyone.

Thanks again.

#6413 2 years ago
Quoted from RichWolfson:You should look for the patent application and I think you can find them online. Patents can only be in the name of a person. The inventor if you will. Persons can assign the rights to a company but his name should be on the application somewhere.
///Rich

My brother has copies of my fathers and grandfathers patents hanging on the wall in his office, which is pretty cool. It is a nice conversation piece when customers come in to visit. Once in a while I'll give him grief that he does not have a copy of one of mine, but since they are not related to his business, like the others, I let him off the hook. I also consider my Dad and Grandfathers patents far more interesting, since they are about creating/manipulating physical things vs being software process/methods line mine.

#6414 2 years ago

My Grandfather too, came from roots in Hungary/Poland Austria. He Invented and patented a Watch Cleaning Machine.
Overseas, he created Cigarette Vending Machines.

Ill take credit for creating things, no patents. Wasnt smart enough.

Sadly, he received his Patent within a couple weeks of the stock market crash.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#6415 2 years ago

I'm pretty sure actual pigs need to touch in a particular way to be makin' the bacon!

Maybe you were thinking of this old poster?
A record shop near where I grew up sold this particular one in the early 70s.

50D2F5A4-6700-429E-B87E-A4B82D47722F (resized).jpeg50D2F5A4-6700-429E-B87E-A4B82D47722F (resized).jpeg

#6416 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

My Grandfather too, came from roots in Hungary/Poland Austria. He Invented and patented a Watch Cleaning Machine.
Overseas, he created Cigarette Vending Machines.
Ill take credit for creating things, no patents. Wasnt smart enough.
Sadly, he received his Patent within a couple weeks of the stock market crash.
[quoted image][quoted image]

This whole thing is unclear. About my gramps. There are multiple things going on and far back.

He certainly was rewarded for creating something but the actual details are a little sketchy.

I like a mystery though, especially when I might have skin in the game. A plaque on the wall will be more than I ever had before. We shall see.

#6417 2 years ago

I remember being embarrassed once by going into the wrong restroom at a German restaurant. If you were a kid who knew zero German, which door would you choose? The one for da-MEN? Or the one for HER-ren?

D12D2F76-EDC4-4D04-872E-7EBF21A6C688 (resized).jpegD12D2F76-EDC4-4D04-872E-7EBF21A6C688 (resized).jpeg
#6418 2 years ago

Da Men gets you in trouble. It ain't for men.

LTG : )

#6419 2 years ago

These are the bathroom doors at a bar in my town called, The Darkhorse. Intentionally misleading and your only clue is the pointing fingers.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#6420 2 years ago

Outback Steakhouse also makes you think twice before choosing which door to enter. A full bladder doesn’t have time for puzzles!

E0A1F1FF-7970-4EB0-8A7E-A9A476C75CFC (resized).jpegE0A1F1FF-7970-4EB0-8A7E-A9A476C75CFC (resized).jpeg
#6421 2 years ago

At the GOAT FARM TAVERN in Novi Michigan (1980s) the doors were marked "Billies" and "Nannies"

#6422 2 years ago

On the subject of toilets. not a memory, a very rare private toilet was found thats 2700 years old!
(No signs or door found)

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/2700-year-old-toilet-found-in-jerusalem-180978813/

#6423 2 years ago

I have not seen one of these in a long while. Ebay sellers are pricing them at $10.00 !

IMG_7895 (resized).jpgIMG_7895 (resized).jpg

IMG_7894 (resized).jpgIMG_7894 (resized).jpg

Have not seen these for some time, either. I remember the Sucrets made for a real good candy substitute

IMG_7899 (resized).jpgIMG_7899 (resized).jpg

#6424 2 years ago

Anacin = aspirin + caffein. It's pretty effective against headaches. They still sell it, but like you, I haven't seen those little tins in years. I used to buy them at the counter of my local full-service gas station.

#6425 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I have not seen one of these in a long while. Ebay sellers are pricing them at $10.00 !
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Have not seen these for some time, either. I remember the Sucrets made for a real good candy substitute
[quoted image]

The Sucrets bring back my young memories. I also said I had a throat problem so I could eat them like candy.

#6426 2 years ago

Sucrets Tins! Boy did you bring back memories!

I gave a bracelet as a gift, to a girl in First grade, gift wrapped in a Sucrets Tin.
By 3rd grade, Sucrets tins held my firecrackers. They were very precious.
By 4th Grade, it held my change, either a slice of pizza, a comic, but always a few games of pinball.
By the end of 6th Grade, they held Magic Tricks.
By 8th they held condoms.
By High School, My Sucrets Boxes held my weed.

Oh, and they held my Sucrets too!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#6427 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Sucrets Tins! Boy did you bring back memories!
I gave a bracelet as a gift, to a girl in First grade, gift wrapped in a Sucrets Tin.
By 3rd grade, Sucrets tins held my firecrackers. They were very precious.
By 4th Grade, it held my change, either a slice of pizza, a comic, but always a few games of pinball.
By the end of 6th Grade, they held Magic Tricks.
By High School, My Sucrets Boxes held my weed.
Oh, and they held my Sucrets too![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

lmao !

#6428 2 years ago

On the subject of bathroom door signs in our northern state of Queensland where mangos grow plentifully there is a cafe with the doors labelled "Mangos" and "Nomangos".

#6429 2 years ago

Was and still am curious of what process was producing the springy metallic sounds coming from behind the knobs. Each pull would start a unseen Rube Goldbergian process that always ended with a satisfying thump.

Kool

B4EAFF1E-B0D2-4F35-A475-B46A38EF1C81 (resized).jpegB4EAFF1E-B0D2-4F35-A475-B46A38EF1C81 (resized).jpeg
#6430 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

What is it about 8th grade? My friend, in 8th grade, found this empty plastic container in some parking lot, put it in his pocket, and went home. And he forgot about what he had in his pocket. I guess his mom found it when she was doing laundry because my friend said his dad backed him into a corner and started giving him the parental lecture about messing around with girls.

This container is for sale on Ebay. It is amazing what has survived thru the years.

Screen Shot 2021-10-09 at 7.02.15 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-10-09 at 7.02.15 AM (resized).png

#6431 2 years ago

Now a days kids mod game emulators into those little tins. What ever happened to keeping your stash hidden in them?
392928C5-9EAC-4AA1-B6F4-24F2948EEF03 (resized).jpeg392928C5-9EAC-4AA1-B6F4-24F2948EEF03 (resized).jpeg8F2CEA1E-04B5-4B84-9D24-324BBB8906F1 (resized).jpeg8F2CEA1E-04B5-4B84-9D24-324BBB8906F1 (resized).jpeg

#6432 2 years ago

Candy substitutes:

Hey, they were always sitting right next to the candy counter.

These were "specifically medicated", whatever that meant.

Screen Shot 2021-10-09 at 7.14.48 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-10-09 at 7.14.48 AM (resized).png

I really liked the black Smith Bros. cough drops. Active ingredients: "Anise and licorice in a sugar base." If there was any ingredient that had some sort of medical value it did not get added to the label

vintage-smith-brothers-cough-drop-box-unopened_3_f533a2f34fe76cb18c5a4d1dcd903932 (resized).jpgvintage-smith-brothers-cough-drop-box-unopened_3_f533a2f34fe76cb18c5a4d1dcd903932 (resized).jpg

When I was in boot camp we were allowed one trip per week to the small exchange for boot camp recruits.

These were allowed. But they had to last a whole week.

Screen Shot 2021-10-09 at 7.25.05 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-10-09 at 7.25.05 AM (resized).png

Some Vicks.

5799020_1_x (resized).jpg5799020_1_x (resized).jpg

and Ludens were "medicated".

m51908689469_1 (resized).jpgm51908689469_1 (resized).jpg

And these. My favorite in the cough drops as surrogate candy.

Screen Shot 2021-10-09 at 7.13.50 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-10-09 at 7.13.50 AM (resized).png

#6433 2 years ago

After a long time of searching just to prove I was not crazy I found the RC truck I remember vividly as a kid. It is in the 1985 Sears catalog.

Top Right 6-Wheeler

Now its just a matter of finding a physical one. Anyone got any better thoughts than browsing eBay?

page0454 (resized).jpgpage0454 (resized).jpg

#6434 2 years ago
Quoted from orangestorm87:

After a long time of searching just to prove I was not crazy I found the RC truck I remember vididly in the 1985 Sears catalog.
Top Right 6-Wheeler
Now its just a matter of finding a physical one. Anyone got any better thoughts than browsing eBay?
[quoted image]

Sort of On topic.

There is a popular six wheeler made in the nineties. That isn’t yours though, just showing they were popular well into the 2000s or so. Maybe still so.

082B1011-2C74-40AE-B0CC-09D6C3B22720 (resized).jpeg082B1011-2C74-40AE-B0CC-09D6C3B22720 (resized).jpeg
#6435 2 years ago

Ya I've discovered its by Bachmann Taiyo and called Off Road Monster. Ebay has only two sold listing in the last six months. So looks like I'll be waiting awhile for one to pop up.

But I've been searching for years, so whats a few more.

What threw me off for so long was thinking it was from Radio Shack.

#6436 2 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Sort of On topic.
There is a popular six wheeler made in the nineties. That isn’t yours though, just showing they were popular well into the 2000s or so. Maybe still so.[quoted image]

Speaking of Six Wheel drive, who remembers the Amphicat?
They were made from the Late 1960's to the Mid 1970's. There were some rethemed as "Moon Buggies" in Space 1999:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphicat

#6437 2 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Speaking of Six Wheel drive, who remembers the Amphicat?
[quoted image]
They were made from the Late 1960's to the Mid 1970's. There were some rethemed as "Moon Buggies" in Space 1999:
[quoted image]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphicat

It the 70s my cousin had his own business that provided him with money to burn. He lived 7 miles from the lake and had one of those, or something similar. Regretfully, I never got to go for a ride.

#6438 2 years ago

My Dad sold them in his dealership before I was born. There were other brands too but Amphicat is what he sold. I think some guys still like them for ice fishing because they float.

#6439 2 years ago

This Mars attack book is a treasure to me.

8CFDA479-04DF-4D58-B771-D716B2292FD4 (resized).jpeg8CFDA479-04DF-4D58-B771-D716B2292FD4 (resized).jpeg
#6440 2 years ago

There is a similar book for these cards, buts it’s soft cover and I have not seen that one in person, so I can’t recommend it.

54E077DF-CB77-42AB-9BBF-23AADBC54C22 (resized).jpeg54E077DF-CB77-42AB-9BBF-23AADBC54C22 (resized).jpeg
#6441 2 years ago
Quoted from orangestorm87:

After a long time of searching just to prove I was not crazy I found the RC truck I remember vividly as a kid. It is in the 1985 Sears catalog.
Top Right 6-Wheeler

After much searching online, I found a couple of Far East cousins of your monster truck. Unfortunately, none currently for sale. The name of the Japanese one translates to “Wild Monster 6WD.”

BCA50FEB-30D9-4F18-872D-7F5B9B82401D (resized).jpegBCA50FEB-30D9-4F18-872D-7F5B9B82401D (resized).jpegEB87339E-42DD-4265-863A-B2D4EB68BD2E (resized).jpegEB87339E-42DD-4265-863A-B2D4EB68BD2E (resized).jpeg7188D649-D351-42C7-BA17-B14720E672B0 (resized).jpeg7188D649-D351-42C7-BA17-B14720E672B0 (resized).jpegED65C1E3-C2DE-4864-BA67-C9EFA3DD6244 (resized).jpegED65C1E3-C2DE-4864-BA67-C9EFA3DD6244 (resized).jpeg
#6442 2 years ago

My Dad was a big fan of White Castle hamburgers, so I ate there often as a kid. We usually ate them at the restaurant rather than bring them home. In the 60s and 70s, I remember they had racks mounted on the wall near each door filled with the latest issue of the White Castle corporate “House Organ” magazine. These magazines had interesting stories about the company’s history, photos of their newest locations, salutes to their top employees, neat info about their burgers, etc. It’s interesting that a corporate magazine was given out freely to customers. Reading this magazine while I ate there was a big highlight of my meal. Of course, one day the magazines were gone and never appeared again. I doubt that they were missed much since I never saw anyone else reading one. I could only find one photo online that shows what looks like one of those racks by the door. (St. Louis, Missouri 1958)

36A70808-8E0C-4CFB-A989-A3C23F79B5A1 (resized).jpeg36A70808-8E0C-4CFB-A989-A3C23F79B5A1 (resized).jpeg902B564F-6374-4F93-A28D-20B1F312EB07 (resized).jpeg902B564F-6374-4F93-A28D-20B1F312EB07 (resized).jpeg
#6443 2 years ago

Here are a few random items my parents had around the house in the late 60s/early 70s. The big orange glass ashtray must’ve been for decoration only because I never saw a cigarette in it. They used a tiny round ashtray for all their butts. The Big Brown Jug was a cookie jar that was perched high atop our refrigerator. My Mom hid money in it. I swear I never took any!

6C6838B1-447D-417C-B479-8BA1F277E498 (resized).jpeg6C6838B1-447D-417C-B479-8BA1F277E498 (resized).jpeg939B14B0-28B3-4FDD-B355-0F5C954B7F0A (resized).jpeg939B14B0-28B3-4FDD-B355-0F5C954B7F0A (resized).jpegD66AF3EE-E8BC-457F-9B60-505C57679CEF (resized).jpegD66AF3EE-E8BC-457F-9B60-505C57679CEF (resized).jpeg5DE762E5-B5CC-45D5-85BC-1711E7013067 (resized).jpeg5DE762E5-B5CC-45D5-85BC-1711E7013067 (resized).jpeg27F151C2-5A14-40C3-8AAF-55359A418FF3 (resized).jpeg27F151C2-5A14-40C3-8AAF-55359A418FF3 (resized).jpeg16613A0A-3CD2-4144-A1E7-50769FF637DD (resized).jpeg16613A0A-3CD2-4144-A1E7-50769FF637DD (resized).jpeg
#6444 2 years ago

My parents had a hand lettered sign, with black letters on a silver background, hanging at the peak of their garage which puzzled us as kids, with the legend

LIMBO A GO-GO

They never gave us a satisfactory explanation to us as to its meaning when we were young, and dang it, it never occured to me to ask again later once we were grown. Googling now is no help, either, other than a finding out it's the name of a song from 1986 by a group I have never heard of, the lyrics of which do not seem pertinent to why my parents would put it on a sign in the 60s. I don't even have any idea whether it had to do with the Catholic dogma or dancing under a stick!

#6445 2 years ago

My parents had a hand lettered sign, with black letters on a silver background, hanging at the peak of their garage which puzzled us as kids, with the legend
LIMBO A GO-GO

Could it be a sign they got from a luau party?
Maybe one of them won the Limbo Contest!

9EA4905D-DA6E-4AEF-8D0C-D531D2A2F6DD (resized).jpeg9EA4905D-DA6E-4AEF-8D0C-D531D2A2F6DD (resized).jpeg

#6446 2 years ago

Just up the highway they build these 6 wheel argo’s. They float and can go just about anywhere.
933E9619-3BB8-4C94-A43C-3317679E9DF6 (resized).jpeg933E9619-3BB8-4C94-A43C-3317679E9DF6 (resized).jpeg

As for remote controlled multi-wheel cars; I had the front section of this bad boy. I always wanted the extension pieces but never seen them in store.
759F0A42-22B3-4A36-8E2D-6E433EF3D98A (resized).jpeg759F0A42-22B3-4A36-8E2D-6E433EF3D98A (resized).jpeg

#6447 2 years ago

LIMBO A GO-GO
They never gave us a satisfactory explanation to us as to its meaning when we were young, and dang it, it never occured to me to ask again later once we were grown. Googling now is no help, either, other than a finding out it's the name of a song from 1986 by a group I have never heard of, the lyrics of which do not seem pertinent to why my parents would put it on a sign in the 60s. I don't even have any idea whether it had to do with the Catholic dogma or dancing under a stick!

I googled Limbo a go-go and this link popped up.

Some Danish band named Fate recorded a song called Limbo a Go-Go.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fate_(band)

#6448 2 years ago

Oh the socks! Also sold as a Footsie!

This also had many names....

#6449 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I googled Limbo a go-go and this link popped up.
Some Danish band named Fate recorded a song called Limbo a Go-Go.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fate_(band)

Um, thanks?

Googling now is no help, either, other than a finding out it's the name of a song from 1986 by a group I have never heard of, the lyrics of which do not seem pertinent to why my parents would put it on a sign in the 60s.

Quoted from mooch:

Could it be a sign they got from a luau party?

I'm pretty sure my dad made it himself, but yeah, it probably had to do with partying on the shores of tropical Lake Winnebago.

#6450 2 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

I remember being embarrassed by going into the wrong restroom at a German restaurant.
Outback Steakhouse also makes you think twice before choosing which door to enter.

Norman Drabble (resized).jpgNorman Drabble (resized).jpg

There are 9,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 129 of 196.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-were-your-favorite-childhood-toys/page/129 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.