clock (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
26390821-028A-466E-B71D-8BA12C2EBC26 (resized).jpeg
D9C305EA-7B46-4B4B-B6B6-E1935CDDFD9E (resized).jpeg
C32ED287-1547-4AAB-AB5E-68AAA38F404A (resized).jpeg

There are 6325 posts in this topic. You are on page 126 of 127.
#6251 6 days ago

I miss lightning bugs. Maybe you call them fireflies. As a kid growing up in the Midwest, I loved watching them flicker on and off on a warm summer night. Since moving out to Nevada, I haven’t seen a single one.

76554B54-E288-4E83-AA7C-9F3E05AC6708.jpegAA77432C-C98E-48E4-965C-F4A2C703A6CD.gif
#6252 5 days ago
Quoted from mooch:

I miss lightning bugs. Maybe you call them fireflies. As a kid growing up in the Midwest, I loved watching them flicker on and off on a warm summer night. Since moving out to Nevada, I haven’t seen a single one.
[quoted image][quoted image]

There were some in my girlfriend's backyard, but they do not seem as plentiful as they use to be.

#6253 5 days ago

I'm thinking about redecorating my house. I'm thinking about going early '70s college-kid-retro

images (resized).jpeg

milkcrates21 (resized).jpg

Although the metal crates are getting scarce in this day when everything is plastic.

#6254 5 days ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Here’s kind of a sad youthful memory. I was 13 or 14, visiting my aunt in Wisconsin. Totally clueless about girls. Well, she played matchmaker and had me go to her friend’s house to meet her daughter, who was my age. We’re in her bedroom and she says: “I think one of my boobs is bigger than the other one, what do you think?” I completely missed this obvious opening, and said “what do you think happens when we die?”.

Quoted from mooch:

I have a similar story. I was also about 13 or 14, at a girl’s house in the basement alone with her. We were just friends, playing records or something. Then she says “Can you lay on top of me on the couch? I want to see where our bodies line up.” So I said sure and laid on top of her face to face. Huh, our eyes are here, our waists are here, and our feet are there. I asked her why we did this. She said “Oh nothing, I just wondered.” I was clueless. CLUELESS.

Been there, done that.
In our defense - it was all pre-internet. We just didn't know what was possible.

#6255 5 days ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Been there, done that.
In our defense - it was all pre-internet. We just didn't know what was possible.

It was drilled into me fairly early on that babies were a possibility

#6256 5 days ago

Practice making-out with a pillow was an adolescent waste of time.

#6257 5 days ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Here’s kind of a sad youthful memory. I was 13 or 14, visiting my aunt in Wisconsin. Totally clueless about girls. Well, she played matchmaker and had me go to her friend’s house to meet her daughter, who was my age. We’re in her bedroom and she says: “I think one of my boobs is bigger than the other one, what do you think?” I completely missed this obvious opening, and said “what do you think happens when we die?”.

These stories are too funny, I think we all had similar situations like these. A remember a few them looking back, so clueless lol

#6258 5 days ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

it was all pre-internet.

When I was in 7th grade, a friend's older brother in 9th grade had a picture that he brought to school. It was black and white and wallet size. We got our eyes full. And still did not know really what we were looking at. But it was beyond Playboy interesting.

#6259 5 days ago

Foods at fairs and such used to be really good. We used to go to the Renaissance Festival every year, its the biggest in the country, but the food has just become a bunch of prepackaged store bought shit that isnt worth eating. We just drink mead till we cant stand up and look at tits.

#6260 5 days ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Foods at fairs and such used to be really good. We used to go to the Renaissance Festival every year, its the biggest in the country, but the food has just become a bunch of prepackaged store bought shit that isnt worth eating. We just drink mead till we cant stand up and look at tits.

$5.00 for a turkey leg I could do. They were $5 one year and $9 the next year. I said no way to that and have not had turkey leg since. And I love turkey legs.

#6261 5 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

They were $5 one year and $9 the next year.

I don't go to our state fair anymore. I heard Pronto Pups were $6 this year.

That and the Renaissance, I found I was going out of habit. Not that I enjoyed it anymore.

LTG : )

#6262 5 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

There were some in my girlfriend's backyard, but they do not seem as plentiful as they use to be.

A lot of stuff gets them. Mosquito spray, fertilizers, their food source. They are fragile.

LTG : (

#6263 5 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

$5.00 for a turkey leg I could do. They were $5 one year and $9 the next year. I said no way to that and have not had turkey leg since. And I love turkey legs.

They are like 12 now and they are just prepackaged and warmed up at the location. Not worth it, but nothing is anymore. I paid 3K for a fridge yesterday because mine took a shit. Had to go to 3 stores to find one in stock.

#6264 5 days ago
Quoted from mooch:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Lightning bugs were everywhere when I was growing up here in St. Louis. I only live a few miles from where I grew up and there are very few now. Same thing with June Bugs and rabbits.

#6265 5 days ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I paid 3K for a fridge yesterday because mine took a shit. Had to go to 3 stores to find one in stock.

I have my mom's fridge that she bought new in 1984. That's 37 years. You new fridge will not last that long.

#6266 5 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I have my mom's fridge that she bought new in 1984. That's 37 years. You new fridge will not last that long.

Nope, it wont. Yours will still be alive when my new one is dead. There is one good thing though, the country and life as we know it is going to end soon so I probably wont need to worry about buying another one

#6267 5 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I'm thinking about redecorating my house. I'm thinking about going early '70s college-kid-retro

05F78A9D-F16E-40FB-B8C2-6F9CE113CEB3 (resized).png
#6268 5 days ago
Quoted from mooch:

I miss lightning bugs. Maybe you call them fireflies. As a kid growing up in the Midwest, I loved watching them flicker on and off on a warm summer night

Yes, I always loved fireflies, too! After growing up in Illinois with them, I lived in Colorado for almost 30 years without seeing them.
Now I have them again here in West Virginia. It's very heavily wooded around here and there are quite a few kinds of plants, bugs, and critters. Some pretty wild and wooly 2-legged critters, too!

#6269 5 days ago
Quoted from zr11990:

going to end soon

Define "soon". And if you are citing just this "country" you are citing the wrong thing.

I grew up listening to that in the 60s. All my elders spoke continuously about it. I read Hal Lindsay's books about it. They all thought it would happen in their lifetime. It didn't. Way back, way way back, those people thought it would happen in their lifetime. It didn't.

We still have to cut down every tree, pollute the last drop of water, and burn the last drop of hydro-carbon before before "soon" happens IMO.

So, keep your powder dry.

#6270 5 days ago

Do you guys remember that book in the 70's, The Jupiter Effect? In it they predicted that an alignment of the planets of our Solar System would create a number of worldwide catastrophes on March 10, 1982. Earthquakes, floods and spin our planet out of orbit, all of that crazy shit.
I didn't give it much thought at the time but many of my friends did.

I used that as an example when my daughter was all freaked out about the Y2K computer crash ending the world.

Wow, Y2K was 21, almost 22 years ago now...

#6271 5 days ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I used that as an example when my daughter was all freaked out about the Y2K computer crash ending the world.

I liked how many people thought that there wouldn't be any food in the stores on January 1st, 2000.

Millions of trucks running all over the country emptying them ? And where would they get rid of all of it ?

Or how many women suddenly had Arab boyfriends after 9/11 that told them not to fly anywhere on that date ?

Unbelievable what people think sometimes.

#6272 5 days ago
Quoted from mooch:

[quoted image]

Back when what you owned was just cheap shit and you could party hard and not worry about breaking anything

I like his cinder block idea

#6273 5 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Back when what you owned was just cheap shit and you could party hard and not worry about breaking anything

Jeff Foxworthy said single people throw the best parties. Because if their place gets trashed. They can redecorate for $50

#6274 5 days ago
Quoted from zr11990:

the country and life as we know it is going to end soon

What the hell are you talking about?

If you can't say, then keep stupid comments like this off of Pinside!

#6275 5 days ago
Quoted from zr11990:

the country and life as we know it is going to end soon

I call dibs on your pins when life as we know it ends!

#6276 5 days ago
Quoted from zr11990:

There is one good thing though, the country and life as we know it is going to end soon so I probably wont need to worry about buying another one

Y2K ?

#6277 5 days ago
Quoted from zr11990:

life as we know it is going to end soon

C8F14FDF-AC86-4531-82C2-1142645C71B1 (resized).jpeg
#6278 5 days ago
9E4C6C8B-0FA0-42AE-B84F-DCC9FC772C18.png
#6284 4 days ago

It’s a what?!

(I think this is a repeat, just trying to get us back on track)

#6285 4 days ago

Can you still perform this classic childhood feat of finger dexterity?

9C0A1A1D-D262-49E8-AA74-C4D60B42F972.gif
#6286 4 days ago
Quoted from mooch:

Can you still perform this classic childhood feat of finger dexterity?

No, but I got your nose!

#6287 4 days ago

Anyone remember the old grass blade whistle?

A3CC5ECF-9EF1-4CA2-BAA7-49D5989DA753 (resized).jpegB4FEECCF-933A-4D1F-B7D0-4D7148AB8277 (resized).jpeg
#6288 4 days ago

When I was a young kid horsing around with other kids, sometimes we’d lie on our backs and pedal against each other’s feet like riding a bicycle. We’d pedal faster and faster until one of our feet slid off, then laugh and try again.
I couldn’t find any image of this online. The closest one was this position for a yoga exercise, but you wouldn’t hold hands for the pedaling thing.

282FFC1D-8130-4902-B538-52D2B3EEEE45 (resized).jpeg
#6289 4 days ago
Quoted from bssbllr:

Anyone remember the old grass blade whistle?

That reminds me of the 2-cent “Swiss Warbler” bird whistles they used to sell at a penny candy shop near my school in the 60s. I never understood the instructions, so I would just blow on the tiny cellophane reed to make sounds, much like a grass blade.

AC64EE1F-2661-4424-B862-1CC3DED4ECEE (resized).jpeg
#6290 4 days ago
Quoted from mooch:

That reminds me of the 2-cent “Swiss Warbler” bird whistles they used to sell at a penny candy shop near my school in the 60s. I never understood the instructions, so I would just blow on the tiny cellophane reed to make sounds, much like a grass blade.
[quoted image]

Speaking of bird sounds, Remember when these came out forty some odd years ago?

Somewhere I have an old Forrest J. Mims book from Radio shack that has a circuit diagram on how to build your own.

#6291 3 days ago

I woke up at 5 AM dreaming a childhood dream.
Likely close to my thoughts of the day, I was remembering my first trip
to the Circus.
Every Kid HAD to get this flashlight on a Lanyard!
We would swing them around when they were lit, and hold them up, like our
first Lighter at a concert.

Anyone else remember these?

#6292 3 days ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

to the Circus.
Anyone else remember these?[quoted image]

No. Never saw one. I can probably count the top entertainment concerts I have been to on both hands. In 1971-72, I went to see "Yes" in Dallas. The house lights went down, the doobies ( not the band ) appeared and the lighters started flickering. It was pleasant surprise. And a tradition was born.

The next concert I went to was in 1977; I went to see The Eagles. The house lights went down and the Bic Lighter "we love you" salute lit the place back up. What a difference 6 years makes. There were no doobies this time ( I think everybody had already toked up in the parking lot ).

So, any time you watch a NASCAR race, understand that NASCAR was birthed by the boot leggers running illegal booze. And kids, realize that your Bic lighter salute grew from your grandpa lighting up a joint at a concert put on by his favorite band.

And then the marketing types glommed on and said, "Hey, we can make a mini flashlight for spectator shows. We will sell millions of them". .

#6293 3 days ago

The 70s had some interesting Drug Paraphernalia ads.

In Roosevelt Field Shopping Mall, we had 4 Stores selling stuff.
Changed pretty quickly though.

Today, the collectible side of it is through the roof!

Ahh...the 70s! Used Pins were $50-$100 Working, Free if they werent!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#6294 3 days ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

The 70s had some interesting Drug Paraphernalia ads.
In Roosevelt Field Shopping Mall, we had 4 Stores selling stuff.
Changed pretty quickly though.
Today, the collectible side of it is through the roof!
Ahh...the 70s! Used Pins were $50-$100 Working, Free if they werent![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I remember seeing coke spoons in the mall kiosks. Even Dillards got in on the act and was selling gold plated fake razor blades; I was at one arena when some straight laced looking gal walked by wearing a gold plated razor blade. She was clueless for what its purpose was, as was most of the country back then.

There were several head shops in my town selling paraphernalia until the city shut them down. Now, the paraphernalia is being sold for "smoking tobacco" and there are 3-4 head shops in town; one is in the mall.

It never crossed my mind that this stuff would become collectable. " Hey Joe, you remember that Corvette you could not afford to buy when you were in high school. Well, you still can't afford a Vette, but you get get this classy Bong for a few dollars".

#6295 3 days ago

Funny here in Florida. I just received my License.
All the weed I want to buy, 1 mile away, but the Paraphernalia is still somewhat illegal.

180 degree change from the past.
Who would have ever thought?

Strange where 37 states approve, and 18 rec.

Anyway...childhood memories....

I remember bringing my fathers Playboy Magazine into school for show and tell in 2nd grade! 7 years old!

Boy did i get MY ASS in Trouble!

#6296 3 days ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I remember bringing my fathers Playboy Magazine into school for show and tell in 2nd grade! 7 years old!

LMAO !

#6297 3 days ago

Then this toy followed up with the girls......

#6298 3 days ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

to the Circus.
Anyone else remember these?[quoted image]

I also remember my first trip to the circus. Probably around 1960. The old Madison Square Garden on 50th and 8th Avenue. My uncle and 6 kids in the Chevrolet. Belts? Not an option. I remember the sideshow with all the usual suspects and we bought a ring from the giant. But my uncle was given strict orders not to bring any salamanders home.

The show was a transformative experience sort of like seeing the Lion King on Broadway. But alas I never had the pleasure of bringing my grandchildren to the circus. "Don't you know they treat the elephants badly". And now it is no more.

But I did take them to the Bear show at Clarks in New Hampshire. I told them we were going to see the Wolfman and Casa Loca and left the parents at home. They LOVED it. As did I remembering the elephants, lions and tigers at the Garden.

And I may actually have one of those flashlights around here. Probably full of battery acid. <G>

///Rich

PS-If you have never been to Clarks, you should go before that is a memory. Casa Loca is a shooting gallery but the train still runs on steam.

#6299 3 days ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

[quoted image]

My younger brother had a picture in his wallet or notebook and my mother found it. She asked where he got it and I said probably from dads Playboy collection in his office downstairs. Mom got rid of them all before he came home. Taught me not to rat out my dad ever again as we all suffered.

Ah. Barbi Benton...

///Rich

#6300 3 days ago

Who could forget Barbi?.....

There are 6325 posts in this topic. You are on page 126 of 127.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside