WRONG THREAD (resized).jpg
s-l300 (resized).jpg
d (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
92457158-22AB-46F5-B833-547BE701D340 (resized).jpeg
0F34FF55-27C5-4843-9D2F-C944928DBD0E (resized).jpeg
416DD88B-2AFE-4A8D-9F06-2DAB2664C599 (resized).jpeg

There are 5888 posts in this topic. You are on page 116 of 118.
#5751 13 days ago
E702EDBB-3468-48D0-8C93-66860806BBA3 (resized).jpeg
#5752 13 days ago

This is another favorite thread for me - so many 'memory flashbacks' prompted by your pictures and posts. Thanks!

I've lurked enough - here's a few captures from my dads old 8mm films.

Christmas 1964. I was born, and only days into my life I'm being traumatized by my brother.
009 (resized).jpg

And here's some toys and memories from the 1960's

014 (resized).jpg019 (resized).jpg023 (resized).jpg042 (resized).jpg043 (resized).jpg046 (resized).jpg047 (resized).jpg
#5753 13 days ago

I had this ceramic piggy bank when I was a kid. I lost the rubber plug so the hole in the bottom was covered up with electrical tape. There was never more than a few cents inside it, since I quickly spent every penny I could get my hands on.

3C2CC53A-772C-4780-BE02-E978F5350FD4 (resized).jpeg
#5754 13 days ago

Christmas 1962 - two years before I was born. My parents spoiled my older brother. Hey - we're in Texas - so it's a tractor and a gun for you!

048 (resized).jpg049 (resized).jpg050 (resized).jpg
#5755 12 days ago
Quoted from aFineMoose:

back in the 90’s

Back in the 90s? Have the 90s already reach the "back in the..." phase? This was just 20 years ago. Now, back in the 70s my friend had that Train Wreck book. Disasters have always gotten my attention and I looked at every picture in that book more than once.

#5756 12 days ago

Corky Pig. Circa 1957. I had a green one like this one. My cousin's had pink ones and blue ones. While I like all of these memories we share around here, I like money, too. . Mine turned into Ebay bait in 2002 when I saw what they were selling for.

image (resized).jpeg

#5757 12 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Back in the 90s? Have the 90s already reach the "back in the..." phase? This was just 20 years ago. Now, back in the 70s
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"00053a783ad2fd9140c3fba947c970278ef5828e-1626763107-1800"};
//]]>

my friend had that Train Wreck book. Disasters have always gotten my attention and I looked at every picture in that book more than once.

My grandpa told me that ‘soak it’ meant GTFO off the train. Don’t look where you’re jumping: you don’t have time. Just bail.

One time the train became a runaway, and someone yelled, “SOAK IT!!!” My grandpa’s buddy was sound asleep, yet somehow became the first one off the train.

#5758 12 days ago

I used to enjoy playing with myself

929B735C-69B5-4AF1-9FE1-5A79577D5963 (resized).jpeg

guess I’m lucky that I still can : )

#5759 12 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Back in the 90s? Have the 90s already reach the "back in the..." phase? This was just 20 years ago.

Some would say that the ‘90’s were 30 years ago. I still feel like the ‘70’s was 30 years ago

#5760 12 days ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Some would say that the ‘90’s were 30 years ago. I still feel like the ‘70’s was 30 years ago

Really old people dropping their canes and walkers in vids or commercials, and dancing, were Greasers in the 50s.
That freaks me out!

Elvis would be 86!

#5761 12 days ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Really old people dropping their canes and walkers in vids or commercials, and dancing, were Greasers in the 50s.
That freaks me out!
Elvis would be 86!

Elvis and The Greasers. That has a nice ring to it

Is anybody trying relive their past and pretend grandpa and grandma are still around and you all sit down and watch Lawrence Welk together.

#5762 12 days ago
#5763 12 days ago

My Grandfather was involved with a youth boxing club back in the 50's & 60's and he had one of these boxer figurines. It clashed with Grandma's glass fish collection, so I'm guessing it got pitched after he passed away. It was a Rat Fink type character that I spent years looking in antique malls for. Until I discovered ebay and Nutty Mads.

Made in 1963 by Marx, "Rocco the Boxer" was his name, and I was able to finally get one, same color & everything. There's a series of Nutty Mads and the similar Weird-oh's. I've got a few of them, but this guy is my favorite.

IMG_0479 (resized).jpg
#5764 12 days ago

It was easy to tell where the action was in my neighborhood by the amount of bikes “parked” in someones front yard. I would have no idea what was going on but man I couldn’t wait to get there to find out. Rarely was I disappointed. The more bikes could only mean more fun.

Good times

033E9ACE-0893-4756-ABEB-8715CFB1FD0A (resized).jpeg
#5765 12 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Is anybody trying relive their past and pretend grandpa and grandma are still around and you all sit down and watch Lawrence Welk together.

Lawrence welk Is Great and I enjoy watching the shows, thx for uploading.

#5766 12 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

This is sissy and Bobby’s first show?

#5767 12 days ago
Quoted from tullster:

My Grandfather was involved with a youth boxing club back in the 50's & 60's and he had one of these boxer figurines. It clashed with Grandma's glass fish collection, so I'm guessing it got pitched after he passed away. It was a Rat Fink type character that I spent years looking in antique malls for. Until I discovered ebay and Nutty Mads.
Made in 1963 by Marx, "Rocco the Boxer" was his name, and I was able to finally get one, same color & everything. There's a series of Nutty Mads and the similar Weird-oh's. I've got a few of them, but this guy is my favorite.
[quoted image]

Good you found it. Looks like Sparky in MET by the way.

#5768 12 days ago

basil wolverton or Robert A Kraus?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#5769 12 days ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

It was easy to tell where the action was in my neighborhood by the amount of bikes “parked” in someones front yard. I would have no idea what was going on but man I couldn’t wait to get there to find out. Rarely was I disappointed. The more bikes could only mean more fun.
Good times
[quoted image]

So, as you got older and got your driver's license you knew how to spot the bars where the action was at

#5770 12 days ago

With my birthday being Christmas EVE I couldn’t wait for December to come every year .

BCDCBEA5-962F-4A3F-A61E-1B31BA7CC134 (resized).jpeg
#5771 12 days ago

Wish i had that bike around still .Bad Mo Fo.

#5772 12 days ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

With my birthday being Christmas EVE I couldn’t wait for December to come every year .

You'll shoot your eye out.

LTG : )

#5773 12 days ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

[quoted image]

Did you get combo Birthday-Christmas gifts then? I had some friends who always felt like they got jobbed because their birthday was right around Christmas. Although on the bright side if you were to get a combo gift it would likely be a more expensive gift.

Gord

#5774 12 days ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

I had some friends who always felt like they got jobbed because their birthday was right around Christmas.

My Mother's was January 2nd. So she got one present for Christmas and birthday. All the other siblings got for Christmas and their birthdays.

LTG : (

#5775 12 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

My Mother's was January 2nd. So she got one present for Christmas and birthday. All the other siblings got for Christmas and their birthdays.
LTG : (

That’s very sad.

#5776 12 days ago

I had some those same multi-color vertical stripped jeans in the late 60s

#5777 11 days ago
Quoted from dmacy:

That’s very sad.

It was. Her Father died when she was 8 years old. She was the baby and his favorite. After his death, they pretty much treated her like dirt. Yet any time they needed her, she was there for them.

A good example : Her mother was sick and contacted her to come help her. My Mother didn't have the nickel for the street car. So she walked from Minneapolis to Chaska, 26+ miles. Took care of her mother for two weeks. When her mother was better. She asked her mother to borrow a nickel to take the street car back home. Her mother said she didn't have it. So my mother walked back home. The next day her mother bought her son Dick, a new car.

This was just one instance. Late in my Mother's life I asked why she put up with it ? She said family, and she loved them. Of course nice guy I am I pointed out don't cry about it then. You tolerated it.

Most of them were worthless. One Aunt and Uncle were super, sadly died in a car accident in the early 1960's. And one of her Daughters and her husband were nice. That was it.

One cousin by marriage and another cousin came into my business in the early 1980's with some of the grand kids and their friends. Timing was fishing for graduation presents coming up. For my Mother's sake I was polite. Treated them to pop and games. The kids asked the bitch, I mean cousin by marriage, why I was being so nice to them ? She said I was trying to buy my way back into the family.

For my mother's sake I didn't say a word. I didn't want to stir up trouble. They left. I did tell my Mother, and told her I'd never allow any of them in my business again. I didn't know how to contact the cousin by marriage. I was able to call the other cousin. I asked her to please relay a message to Lita for me. I was born into the family. I wasn't a hooker that Jimmy dragged home and had to marry.

That took care of it. They kept clear of me.

#5778 11 days ago

Mine lost a bit of liquid and now it can’t predict the current weather.

image (resized).jpg
#5779 11 days ago

That thingamajig inside the Magic 8-Ball has 20 sides!

05456706-B566-4A45-B3F1-6D3DD82E6120 (resized).png
#5780 11 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

It was. Her Father died when she was 8 years old. She was the baby and his favorite. After his death, they pretty much treated her like dirt. Yet any time they needed her, she was there for them.
A good example : Her mother was sick and contacted her to come help her. My Mother didn't have the nickel for the street car. So she walked from Minneapolis to Chaska, 26+ miles. Took care of her mother for two weeks. When her mother was better. She asked her mother to borrow a nickel to take the street car back home. Her mother said she didn't have it. So my mother walked back home. The next day her mother bought her son Dick, a new car.
This was just one instance. Late in my Mother's life I asked why she put up with it ? She said family, and she loved them. Of course nice guy I am I pointed out don't cry about it then. You tolerated it.
Most of them were worthless. One Aunt and Uncle were super, sadly died in a car accident in the early 1960's. And one of her Daughters and her husband were nice. That was it.
One cousin by marriage and another cousin came into my business in the early 1980's with some of the grand kids and their friends. Timing was fishing for graduation presents coming up. For my Mother's sake I was polite. Treated them to pop and games. The kids asked the bitch, I mean cousin by marriage, why I was being so nice to them ? She said I was trying to buy my way back into the family.
For my mother's sake I didn't say a word. I didn't want to stir up trouble. They left. I did tell my Mother, and told her I'd never allow any of them in my business again. I didn't know how to contact the cousin by marriage. I was able to call the other cousin. I asked her to please relay a message to Lita for me. I was born into the family. I wasn't a hooker that Jimmy dragged home and had to marry.
That took care of it. They kept clear of me.

Sorry to hear Lloyd .Unfortunatly in life theres a lot more “takers” than “givers “.It’s too bad,but the most important thing is to stay true to who you are .Things sort out in the end i’m sure

#5781 11 days ago

Would anyone know what cool vehicle this was ? I don’t remember it and with my parents being gone I don’t have anyone to ask about it .

180D3044-A3ED-4CEC-9938-F32617530E0A (resized).jpeg
#5782 11 days ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

Good times
[quoted image]

That reminds of the time(1982?) my neighbor found his older brothers VHS copy of Naughty Nurses under the family room sofa. There were quite a few BMX bikes in the front yard that day!
Our preteen minds were blown because “back in the good old days” adult entertainment wasn’t as easy as a quick internet search. Until that time the raciest thing we had been exposed to were stacks of old playboy magazines in some of our basements or R rated movies on CATV. I think the price sticker on the box was $79 or $89 which was a lot of money back then.

FE0C3365-DF4C-43D9-8ED7-8225DDD709F1 (resized).jpeg
#5783 11 days ago

The first time I had sex, I was really scared...
I was all alone!

--Rodney Dangerfield

#5784 11 days ago

While we did not have one of these when I was doing the lawn as a yute, two of my neighbors did. Always thought they were so weird with the staggered wheel!

#5785 11 days ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

While we did not have one of these when I was doing the lawn as a yute, two of my neighbors did. Always thought they were so weird with the staggered wheel![quoted image]

Worst invention ever. My dad finally gave up on ours and returned it.

#5786 11 days ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

Wind up starter. Worst invention ever.

But almost all starters pitch from a wind-up. Relievers pitch from the stretch if a man is on base.

#5787 11 days ago

Going to my uncle's house was always fun in the basement there was a pool table and dart board.
And in the bathroom hung a Playboy calendar and under the sink was a stack of Playboy magazines.
My cousin thought it was funny because you could see the women's butts,
yet topless pictures he said nothing of... late 60s-70s era.

pb (resized).jpg
#5788 11 days ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Would anyone know what cool vehicle this was ? I don’t remember it and with my parents being gone I don’t have anyone to ask about it .
[quoted image]

Looks like a lotus pedal car from the 60’s

B65385F9-EC3D-4B5B-90DD-BC290214ACB2 (resized).png
#5789 11 days ago
Quoted from bob_e:

And in the bathroom hung a Playboy calendar and under the sink was a stack of Playboy magazines.

Playboy were masters at showing just the right amount of titillating nudity on the covers to bait your curiosity to see more.

+ an excellent Al Michaels interview to boot(y)

#5790 11 days ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

While we did not have one of these when I was doing the lawn as a yute, two of my neighbors did. Always thought they were so weird with the staggered wheel![quoted image]

We used those along with the Jacobsen reel type mowers for the high end yards. I used to do the lawns that were the same as putting greens in the wealthy neighborhoods back in the 80s. They put out a great pattern. I used to do designs in the lawns like a stadium.

#5791 10 days ago

This is making me hungry for a quarter-pounder. I haven’t had McDonalds in a long time.

014092FA-EBB9-4712-BFE6-05673A583BD5 (resized).jpeg

#5792 10 days ago

I remember the first time I saw a Big Mac in a big red box at McDonalds in the 70s. Before then, all the burgers I ever got there came wrapped in paper. It made the Big Mac look like a Big Deal.

F10CB329-AA96-4B71-A8A8-B5AFEE927D7A (resized).jpeg
#5793 10 days ago
Quoted from mooch:

I remember the first time I saw a Big Mac in a big red box at McDonalds in the 70s. Before then, all the burgers I ever got there came wrapped in paper. It made the Big Mac look like a Big Deal.
[quoted image]

When I was a kid in the early 80s McDonald's came in Styrofoam containers. I remember always dumping my fries out in the lid side. Good times

NMAH-AHB2010q73258.jpg
#5794 10 days ago
Quoted from JayDee:

Looks like a lotus pedal car from the 60’s
[quoted image]

Thank you .I’ll look into it .

#5795 10 days ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

When I was a kid in the early 80s McDonald's came in Styrofoam containers. I remember always dumping my fries out in the lid side. Good times

They took a lot of crap for those foam polystyrene containers from environmentalists, even though they were more recyclable that the coated paperboard they were using prior to it. Kept your burger warmer longer. I wrote a paper against them in college (aahh, the innocence of youth). Burger clamshells were phase out by 1990 I think.

waste (resized).jpg
#5796 10 days ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

They took a lot of crap for those foam polystyrene containers from environmentalists, even though they were more recyclable that the coated paperboard they were using prior to it.

This is the first time I have heard of styrofoam being recyclable.

https://www.wm.com/us/en/support/faqs/do-you-recycle-polystyrene-foam-plastic

"Polystyrene foam plastic (like foam packing peanuts) is not recyclable,"

" Note: Those foam cups and trays that many of us refer to as Styrofoam„¢ is a trademarked name that actually refers to a unique kind of polystyrene. "

https://www.scarsdale.com/DocumentCenter/View/4016/CAC-Sustainability-Articles---Recycling-Part-II-Paper-and-Cardboard---Dec-2018

"NON-ACCEPTED ITEMS AND HOW TO DISPOSE OF THEM:"

▪ Coated paper take-out containers (e.g., take-out boxes with metal handles for rice): Trash

Sounds like McDonalds traded one environmental beast for another with none of it being recyclable.

#5797 10 days ago

I'm processing and recycling some McDonald's right now.

#5798 10 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

This is the first time I have heard of styrofoam being recyclable.

The question isn't whether it is recyclable (it is - https://www.intcorecycling.com/How-To-Recycle-Polystyrene.html ), but what the cost to do it is (even today much of what is considered recyclable and sent to recycling centers gets thrown away due to contamination - too costly to recycle.)

At the time, McDonald's was generating about 2% of the polystyrene packaging waste in the country and had a recycling program underway that went away when they stopped the clamshells.

And to steer this back to childhood memories, in 1980 it went to the National Scout Jamboree at Fort A.P. Hill in Virginia and on the way there and back by bus, we would stop at McDonald's and everyone got the same thing - Big Mac, fries and a coke. I never liked them before and now it is pretty much the only thing I order at McDonald's (now I only have to remember "Number one with a Coke" )

Image-769 1981NJ Patch.jpg
#5799 10 days ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

the National Scout Jamboree at Fort A.P. Hill in Virginia

I was at that Jamboree! Troop 474.

#5800 10 days ago

Third Rebound I've picked up this year. Cool slant sided box on this one

20210722_153123.jpg20210722_153625.jpg
There are 5888 posts in this topic. You are on page 116 of 118.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside