stfu.gif
speedy-gonzales-movie-donald-trump (resized).jpg
IMG_4109 (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20240319-093421 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240318_220904_Chrome (resized).jpg
Unknown (resized).jpeg
2024-03-18_09-56-44 (resized).jpg
shot0037 (resized).png
There are 9,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 114 of 196.
#5651 2 years ago

The calendar is new to me but your post reminded me of the coveted nudie pen!

#5652 2 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

The calendar is new to me but your post reminded me of the coveted nudie pen!

I had one of those. Occasionally, you can find new ones to buy. Online.

#5653 2 years ago

I have not had any of these for years. They still around. Except not in the cube form I remember them as.

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 7.52.07 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-07-14 at 7.52.07 AM (resized).png

#5654 2 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Before there was NRG stadium, we had Astroworld. I remember when it closed, we were told the land had become too valuable for amusement.
Yet, much of it still sits empty!
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Home to Greezed Lightnin', Texas Cyclone and my fav, the Ultra Twister.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

No kidding. They tore it down for nothing but the useless Astrodome across the street still sits. Sucks. It would of been nice to take my kids to Astroworld once in a while. Can't do jack with the stupid Astrodome. My first job was at Astroworld in 1988 so good memories.

#5655 2 years ago

Used to enjoy driving to different neighborhoods just to check out the local mom and pop VHS rental scene. Practically every store was unique before the big 3 took over. Different selection, different posters and even different smells. Visited a lot of shit hole stores but surprisingly that never dampened my enthusiasm in finding the perfect store.

20D47312-201E-43A3-96F5-89B221CCDB06.jpeg20D47312-201E-43A3-96F5-89B221CCDB06.jpegAEFFE5B0-4929-4515-8C08-73D284C3D593.jpegAEFFE5B0-4929-4515-8C08-73D284C3D593.jpeg

#5656 2 years ago

Is that Quentin Tarantino in the above photo?

#5657 2 years ago

I had fonder memories of all the independent or small chains of record stores
that were generally a combination head shop, record store and poster and hippy decor stores.
You could also buy tickets to certain concerts there, if I remember correctly.
Easily kill an hour there twice a week, flipping thru the LPs.

My favorite in So Cal (Orange County), in the 70s & 80s was Licorice Pizza,
They always had a big glass jar or fish bowl of small circular brass screens,
on the counter by the register, that were free for the taking,
I would always grab a handful for my various pipes and bongs.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

They were eventually bought out by the Sam Goody/ Musicland group in the mid 80s.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#5658 2 years ago

Another memory was anxiously waiting for the weekend edition of the LA Times Calender section,
which would advertize all the upcoming rock shows in the area and just as important the ads for all the local hi-fi audio stores.
Like Pacific Stereo, University Stereo, Cal Stereo, Leo's Stereo, Roger Sound Labs, Adray's, the Federated, even Radio Shack,
I am sure there were others but that is all i can recall at the moment.

#5659 2 years ago

Ours in O town, was the Infinite Mushroom. Music, head shop, lounge, and then adult store.
Who could forget this time!?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#5660 2 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Another memory was anxiously waiting for the weekend edition of the LA Times Calender section,
which would advertize all the upcoming rock shows in the area and just as important the ads for all the local hi-fi audio stores.
Like Pacific Stereo, University Stereo, Cal Stereo, Leo's Stereo, Roger Sound Labs, Adray's, the Federated, even Radio Shack,
I am sure there were others but that is all i can recall at the moment.

Ah, yes. Who can forget The Federated Group and their commercials with Shado Stevens?

#5661 2 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

No kidding. They tore it down for nothing but the useless Astrodome across the street still sits. Sucks. It would of been nice to take my kids to Astroworld once in a while. Can't do jack with the stupid Astrodome. My first job was at Astroworld in 1988 so good memories.

We had a worthless football team that couldn't win a game and cried because they didn't have the latest and greatest stadium. The dome was awesome, the 8th wonder of the world. Then years later they built that monstrosity, Reliant Stadium, for another loser football team at taxpayer expense. Normal people can’t afford to go there the tickets are so high

#5662 2 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

anxiously waiting for the weekend edition of the LA Times Calender section,
which would advertize all the upcoming rock shows

Remember doing the same thing in Baltimore no less. The city paper would hit every Tuesday and I would instantly flip to the back pages to see what bands were coming to the DC/Baltimore area. I’m envious of you being able to do the same thing in L.A. I can’t imagine seeing a young Van Halen at the Whiskey in late 70s. I’ve walked the strip once a decade ago. Way past it’s prime. But I guess so was I : )

And yes that’s a young Q.T. behind the counter

#5663 2 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

for another loser football team

Perhaps if they had a few spare Astro trash cans on the sidelines would’ve helped

Couldn’t help myself: )
guess I’m still a bitter Dodger fan

#5664 2 years ago

have not seen the Classic no batteries needed ETCH-A-SKETCH

etch (resized).jpgetch (resized).jpg
#5665 2 years ago

This was no from my generation from 1998 and the NSA banned employees from bringing them into the office
The interactive toy with a microprocessor FURBY

furby (resized).jpgfurby (resized).jpg
#5666 2 years ago

They were idiots for banning them. Contrary to their fears, it did not record anything. New words were unlocked with continued play.

#5668 2 years ago

I am sure others are in the thread as well, but this kept us busy for a long time and helped us create independent projects using what we learned! It may have been the last time for me... unfortunately.

s-l1600 (1) (resized).jpgs-l1600 (1) (resized).jpg
#5669 2 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Cedar point amusement park in the 1980s. I would have been roughly twelve, had I been there that day.

And Cedar Point circa this past Sunday.........it's changed since 1983..........mostly the haircuts.

20210711_134343 (resized).jpg20210711_134343 (resized).jpg
#5670 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I have not had any of these for years. They still around. Except not in the cube form I remember them as.
[quoted image]

Yesterday I posted this picture of the Brach candies.

5e2a0e74ab701a1fc1d44f8f97b71f2f8f09982d (resized).png5e2a0e74ab701a1fc1d44f8f97b71f2f8f09982d (resized).png

I was doing a Google search for Brach candy and this website called Nuts.com showed up with an image search. All I did was get this picture. I did nothing else at this website. In, look around a little bit, and back out.

https://nuts.com

This morning I get an email from PayPal. I am not happy. Somehow, my surfing, that I thought was anonymous, has turned into an offer at my PP account.

How is this happening? Anybody enough of a computer/internet whiz to tell me what is going on?

Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 7.21.54 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-07-15 at 7.21.54 AM (resized).png

#5671 2 years ago

That’s nuts!

Cotton if just a google image search now leads to bullshit scam purchases, then this thread is gonna get expensive fast.

That sucks but it looks like this is a timed offer and due to expire July 19. I would suggest either to ignore it or risk clicking on the “ I Don’t Like It “ option at the bottom of the offer.
Sounds like pay pal is exploring new avenues to “suggest” purchases for you. Bullshit I know but maybe the I don’t like option is a way to opt out of future suggestions???

Bottom line the Net is getting scarier every day

#5672 2 years ago

I can vouge that if a subject amongst someone that isn't something that I'd normally talk about (say tampons lol!), all of the sudden adds for said subjects show up on my phone. Wish I could ditch the cell phone but it's become a necessity these days.

#5673 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

This morning I get an email from PayPal. I am not happy. Somehow, my surfing, that I thought was anonymous, has turned into an offer at my PP account.

How is this happening? Anybody enough of a computer/internet whiz to tell me what is going on?

I search for any product on Amazon and immediately after my Facebook is spamming me with those same product ads.
It happens all of the time and unfortunately I'm becoming somewhat numb about it all.

I'm pretty sure there is a privacy or anonymous setting in Chrome but I've been too lazy to research it.

#5674 2 years ago

Where have you guys been. They know everything you do and every click you make on you phone or computer. Google, yahoo, Facebook, Twitter and the likes are the worst. They collect your info and use it as they please. Now they( cough feds cough) will be monitoring your emails to make sure you don’t give out any info they don’t like. Don’t believe me? Research it but go to a search engine that doesn’t sensor the available info to suit their agenda.

#5675 2 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Where have you guys been. They know everything you do and every click you make on you phone or computer. Google, yahoo, Facebook, Twitter and the likes are the worst. They collect your info and use it as they please. Now they( cough feds cough) will be monitoring your emails to make sure you don’t give out any info they don’t like. Don’t believe me? Research it but go to a search engine that doesn’t sensor the available info to suit their agenda.

Don't forget Alexa and Siri are always listening too!

#5676 2 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

We talked about bathroom remodeling, yesterday with Google Home listening, and this morning I was bombarded with Ads.
Even a Google Ad, on a News/portal site, NOT in side Bar, masquerading as a News/info story.
This bothers me to no end.

We will try tonight to see if a discussion on "Sex Toys" produces the same results!

#5677 2 years ago

Don't use Google Chrome if this stuff bothers you!

Look into DuckDuckGo, their browser tries to block all traffic with Google servers.

Myself, I don't really care, I'm good at ignoring ads anyway. Ads are evil. They are ruining the internet. They are also why we have opposing news networks and so much division. And they waste sooooo much time.

I think there ought to be a huge excise tax on all advertising, just to discourage it. Put the money into improving your damn product, or lower the price. Word of mouth has always been the most effective advertising, and it's free!

#5678 2 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

About 2 years ago, the wife phoned me (she has an Iphone) to ask if I made reservations to our favorite spot one Friday night.
She said when she got in her car to come home from work that day, her maps opened up and said xx minutes until you arrive at the place we spoke about.

She decided after that she would learn how to disable Siri!

#5679 2 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Look into DuckDuckGo, their browser tries to block all traffic with Google servers.

Thanks Dan!

#5680 2 years ago

I use Firefox with UBlock Origin installed. I hardly ever see any ads. It works on Android Firefox, too. I think it blocks a lot of those "eavesdropping" ads, and it lets you watch videos on news sites with no commercials.
Go into "Addons" in Firefox and you can install it.

#5681 2 years ago
61912873-B0EA-439E-A3A7-83A6A416586E (resized).jpeg61912873-B0EA-439E-A3A7-83A6A416586E (resized).jpeg
#5682 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

have not seen the Classic no batteries needed ETCH-A-SKETCH
[quoted image]

It's interesting that they made the message look as if it is written on an ETCH-A-SKETCH by adding a connecting line to the letter outlines, but what they show would be impossible. The interior holes in the letters would have to be connected as well... False advertising!

#5683 2 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

mostly the haircuts.

This is a random 1983 yearbook senior photo I took off the net - but pretty much exactly like mine - haircuts, poses, outfits ...

1983-Yearbook-4 (resized).jpeg1983-Yearbook-4 (resized).jpeg
#5684 2 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

go to a search engine that doesn’t sensor the available info to suit their agenda.

If you want to see how much censorship goes on web search engines, do a search on any controversial subject with Google, Bing, Duck Duck Go, Yippy, Dogpile, Yahoo. You may be surprised to see how much censorship goes on, either by completely omitting certain websites/pages, or by placing them many pages back (almost 95% of web searches never go beyond the first page.)

#5685 2 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

[quoted image]

If Hal was Alexa:

#5686 2 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Been using Duck Duck Go as my primary for years, and Firefox as my browser.

#5687 2 years ago

I just say F it - try and sell me all the crap you want

#5688 2 years ago

Safari has built in tracker blocking.

Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 4.19.20 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-07-15 at 4.19.20 PM (resized).png

Way to go Pinside!

Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 4.18.22 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-07-15 at 4.18.22 PM (resized).png

#5689 2 years ago

This did not happen to me, but to a good buddy.
He said he was at the outdoor mall, and just stepped into a store for a few moments and did not buy anything
and soon after he was receiving info , ads, relating to the brief step inside that store.

#5690 2 years ago

I buy something on amazon or basically any online marketplace,
then for weeks after i am bombarded with ads for the product that I just bought,
why would I want to buy another?!?!

#5691 2 years ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

This is a random 1983 yearbook senior photo I took off the net - but pretty much exactly like mine - haircuts, poses, outfits ...

Color yearbook? Fancy. Mine is in black and white. Guys were all photographed in black tie, the girls in dark, off-the-shoulder gowns.
(I'm an 80s graduate, too, just like your example.)

#5692 2 years ago

Class of 1973
Gilroy High
Go Mustangs!
Class Valedictorian
Still straight as an arrow

oh forgot to add
virgin
pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg

when i still had some dark hair
after 36yrs in the oil field,
now that is a face you can trust
pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg

#5693 2 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

I buy something on Amazon then for weeks I am bombarded with ads for the product that I just bought.
Why would I want to buy another?

thank you (resized).jpgthank you (resized).jpg

#5694 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

We will try tonight to see if a discussion on "Sex Toys" produces the same results!

I read a story about Amazon and Bezos several years ago. Seems Amazon has an Adult Section somewhere. Some low level Amazon wonk set an email fo guy about his purchase and Bezos called several to the carpet. The short answer is that you do not compromise any Amazon customer with an email they would rather their significant other not see.

Search for candles or screw drivers. Something like that.

#5695 2 years ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

[quoted image]

Wow. Color pictures in a yearbook. All of mine were black and white.

#5696 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Wow. Color pictures in a yearbook. All of mine were black and white

Only the senior photos in mine - rest were black and white.

#5697 2 years ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:Only the senior photos in mine - rest were black and white.

Same here

#5698 2 years ago

Anyone have this toy?

It scared the crap out of me as a little kid.

#5699 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Anyone have this toy?

Looks like Mr68 without glasses.

LTG : )

#5700 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Looks like Mr68 without glasses.
LTG : )

Glasses off, Lloyd and I'm scarier.
(EEG brain wave testing)

There are 9,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 114 of 196.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-were-your-favorite-childhood-toys/page/114?hl=littlecammi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.