Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Rarehero
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I'm new to this forum as of yesterday, and I keep reading about Gomez's "broken promises" related to TF. What exactly are these "broken promises"? If there were broken promises, it reminds me of the promo videos for Pinball 2000. Gomez was so boastful of that product and flop, flop, flop. Is he delusional, a sheister, or was he just doing as his corporate master, Gary Stern, told him? Thanks.

#2 11 years ago

The promo said it's fun?? I think that is a broken promise

#3 11 years ago
    Quoted from JDub1006:

The promo said it's fun?? I think that is a broken promise

Lame... The game actually is pretty fun.

I guess there was supposed to be a transforming toy, a rotating all spark, a lit led red eyed megaton. I guess some folks actually preordered and paid based off this list. I think what we got was decent but if that other list of promises is what made me order I'd be really pissed.

#4 11 years ago

A little dramatic me thinks.

That being said, I did get the impression there would be some type of transforming toy. I think the game is cool looking. I haven't really played one more than 5-10 times.

#5 11 years ago

On the transforming toy (which would seem to be in the "must do" category if thinking about making a TF pin) they even showed Gomez fiddling with some sort of mockup in a slick promotional video. That made it particularly painful when it wasn't there!

Still, I think it's a really nice pin - Ironhide mini pf aside, the sounds, lighting, and callouts are particularly well done I think...

#6 11 years ago

Oi i wont get started.

#8 11 years ago

Jump to about 56 seconds in..

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Lame... The game actually is pretty fun.

Transformers (Premium/LE)

Stern, 2011 – 76 ratings – 30 comments– rate it!

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from JDub1006:

Transformers (Premium/LE)
    Stern, 2011 – 76 ratings – 30 comments– rate it!

Right. And the game is actually pretty fun. Another game that's actually pretty fun is avatar, ranked at 120. The rankings often reflect first impressions or big disappointments rather than actual fun factor.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Right. And the game is actually pretty fun. Another game that's actually pretty fun is Avatar, ranked at 120. The rankings often reflect first impressions or big disappointments rather than actual fun factor

Hmmmm.....nope still think TF stinks. However, I agree Avatar is uber fun.

#12 11 years ago

Did they really say transforming toy? I can't even remember.

#13 11 years ago

I have a friend that bought in after seeing Sterns infomercial. What a joke. Really soured him on the hobby.

#14 11 years ago

No, they never said transforming toy in the features list but many felt it was implied in the marketing video. I question why they put that in an otherwise very well-done clip if they weren't putting it in the game. The spinning cube was on the original features list but they apparently had trouble getting it to work and ditched it. I suspect they've learned from this as there wasn't any pre-hype of features on Xmen until it was basically in production.

#15 11 years ago

I just want to know how hard is it to make a cube spin in a circle? I mean, they can make a long ass ramp swing across the playfield, a disk spin super fast etc... but they can't find a motor to spin a box on a stick? Heck, Star Wars had a spinning Deathstar and R2D2 head. I think it was a cost issue. A motor costs about $25-$50. No motor costs nothing.

#16 11 years ago

Rarehero made the case pretty well on another thread as he ordered based on the promises. They were:

Quoted from Rarehero:

So there ya go, Mark...this was the official features list that most of us saw when we ordered the game.
    There was no second spinner, rotating All-Spark, or animating Megatron with illumnated eyes. Yeah, Megaton slightly moves but I'd hardly call that animating. We all saw the TF teaser video where Gomez was messing with a fully animating figure...we assumed it would be that.

#17 11 years ago

I never assumed a transforming toy from that video at all. Never assume right?

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Rarehero made the case pretty well on another thread as he ordered based on the promises. They were:

Thanks Mark, saves me the trouble of retyping this stuff again lol...I shall now cut and paste myself from the other thread as well:

*paste*
    All those things were on the feature list that sold us on the game....not to mention other things that Gomez discussed at PPE such as "orange" (DMD) QR codes, seamless transition between custom movie voices & fake voices, transforming upper playfield, date specific Easter Eggs, a secret "robot dance party", etc...

#19 11 years ago

I see.

#20 11 years ago

There are often things that don't make it to the production versions of games. However, we tend to have access to more information during design and pre-production phases now more than ever before. So, if they are going to show or imply certain features and then accept pre-orders by customers that use these marketing videos as part of their decision making tools, then they better deliver. Otherwise, that is what is called "bait and switch".

#21 11 years ago

If TF actually transformed in a robot, I'd be all over it. Glad I saved my money.

#22 11 years ago

It's too bad this title isn't a lot better, it's a childhood face of mine and I like the look of the game, but it's very clunky to play. That being said I do like it enough to get one down the road.

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

If TF actually transformed in a robot, I'd be all over it. Glad I saved my money.

Does it transform into a car maaaan? No? It'd be a lot cooler if it diiid.

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from playboywillis:

Does it transform into a car maaaan? No? It'd be a lot cooler if it diiid.

ROFL. Nice reference. Wonder how many people get that one?

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

ROFL. Nice reference. Wonder how many people get that one?

I was laughing thinking the 20 year old I quoted probably wouldn't get it.

#27 11 years ago

I actually missed all the Teasers etc, and brought it when it was released,
    So I missed nothing.
    Just would like to see another code
    (At least I know one is coming)

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Dazed and Confused

Yep.

Quoted from playboywillis:

I was laughing thinking the 20 year old I quoted probably wouldn't get it.

The irony....

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from coasterguy:

I never assumed a transforming toy from that video at all. Never assume right?

I didn't either. To me, the toy he is playing with looks like Megatron on the LE, where he "rises up" when you start multiball. It doesn't look like that toy is transforming, just getting up on one knee.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

I didn't either. To me, the toy he is playing with looks like Megatron on the LE, where he "rises up" when you start multiball. It doesn't look like that toy is transforming, just getting up on one knee.

He's playing with an original custom figure that actually looks like Optimus...perhaps originally it was Optimus who was going to shoot the balls. The final Optimus and Megatron in the game are just Hasbro toys...there's nothing custom in there.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-were-the-broken-promises-of-tf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.