(Topic ID: 96943)

What were the best deals that you ever got? I've gotten a few.

By pinaholic

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

After my first purchase, a NIB TSPP in Dec 05that I bought for $4200+ , while awaiting delivery, I stumbled upon a very nice Top Card at a thrift store near my apartment in a Manhattan for $200, a very good deal. A fuse later and I had my first working pin. A few weeks later my college sweetheart, now and then living in Montana saw an add for 2 pinball machines in the classified section of a Helena newspaper for $200 each but the ad didn't mention the titles. They were Checkpoint and Comet, but the newspaper made a mistake on the price, they were $250 each. Shipping to NYC was like $460.
    That was the beginning of my hoarding and complete obsession that thankfully replaced a horse racing problem I was immersed in for decades. The next deal came when I went to a NASCAR even in the Poconos. I wasn't a NASCAR fan, but my UPS driver was and of course I knew my UPS driver, in fact I often would stalk him out waiting for a delivery from Pinball Resousce, Pinball Life, Marco Specialties and other pinball parts dealers. It was a Sunday and someone in the parking lot was handing out the local Sunday paper. I found an add in the classifieds for a 1K pinball machine. Turned out the seller had 4 pins, FH, TZ, FT, and Mario Andretti. I scored all 4 for $4800.
    My next big score and possibly the best was when I bought out a small Brooklyn route operator who sold me his 14 or so pinballs and a few videos and a couple megatouches, for $11,500 including a LOTR, Champion Pub, Sopranos and some other desirable titles(all DMD).
    A couple of years later, i got a phone call from a bartender's fiend who was selling a pinball machine for a wealthy couple. It was the nicest LOTR with zero flipper button wear for $1500.
    I think I'm just about due for the next lucky find. I can't wait to see what it might be. Be patient and keep,your fingers crossed, deals do come around.
    Allen

#2 9 years ago

Where to start?

5 free EM's (Sky Kings, Hollywood, Knight Rider, Twin Win, Captain Fantastic)
    Another free Captain Fantastic
    $50 Gottlieb 2001
    $200 Twilight Zone Fully working
    $600 Funhouse
    $900 Indiana Jones
    $1100 Tales of the Arabian Nights
    $1100 Star Trek TNG
    Tons more, but that is just off the top of my head. I have a written chart someplace.

#3 9 years ago

Just curious to know the methodology in today's market for finding bargains. Obviously classified ads are getting rarer and craigslist is camped by flippers(i.e. I buy pinball machine ads etc..). Any insight on how to find that sweet deal?

#4 9 years ago

Working on a killer deal right now...should complete transaction tomorrow...if everything goes as planned I will post details tomorrow

UPDATE 7-11-14:

Just scored a nice No Fear for $205... details here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-i-turned-205-into-a-very-nice-no-fear

#5 9 years ago

Just be aware, on a thread like this, you'll get skunked every time by people that were "in the biz" back in the 80s or 90s, when used games were quite literally dirt cheap.

#6 9 years ago

My friend was moving out of his home and his father told him to take all his stuff.
    Best free Bally Wizard! I ever got.

#7 9 years ago

There should be a category for bragging and then I could uncheck that category so I don't subject myself to threads like this.

#8 9 years ago

$500.00 for my Dirty Harry. Lady said it was "broke" and it turned out it had a ball jammed up in the back of the PF from being moved (balls weren't removed) Cleaned, shopped and now it's like brand new. virtually no wear, it had tons of burned out lights, original rubber and was dirty (Harry) as hell

#9 9 years ago

Time Warp for 17$

#10 9 years ago

Keep in mind, this is a story of a DIFFERENT TIME. Back when getting deals on games was commonplace, and there were still lots of games floating around.

Years and years ago, I was sitting at work on a Friday, scouring eBay for pinball deals, and saw an ad for coin op manuals for $125. A whole file cabinet worth. And the guy was an hour away from me! I hit the buy it now, and sent the guy a note to arrange pick up, to see if maybe I can run up the next day to pick them up.

He replies that he was a 'business', and was open Monday-Friday, 8-5. He sees I am selling some pinball stuff on eBay, and suggests that he might have a few things I might be interested in, he has a bunch of project games that he'd be glad to get $100 or so for each. Turns out, his family owns a number of watering holes around Indy, as well as operates coin op, and the coin op biz is closing, and they need out of their warehouse..

A little bit of schedule re-arranging, and I'm at his door the following Monday bright and early.

I discussed the deal with my then close pinball buddies, and thought that for the price, for sure, I'm gonna walk into a bunch of old blown out games. But, *maybe*, if I get lucky, I could find something old and on my want list, like a Solar Fire.

Monday comes, and I'm in his warehouse. I'm trying to act cool, as a bit of a noob, and also knowing that it's his place, and he pretty much determines whether or not we can make a deal.

So, I'm walking through the place, looking around, and I see a Road Show. And a FT. And a TAF. And an IJ, Shadow, and a ST:TNG.... and I'm trying to keep my cool, because he said $100 per machine! Then, I get to the back part of the warehouse, a Who Dunnit, GTB Circus, Genie and a SOLAR FIRE!

A few others came up, and I ended up at 12 pins. But I didn't have much money, because I'm prepared for 8-10 games at $100 apiece.

So, I'm trying to play it cool. I know I can't afford *all* these games. And my gears are spinning, how can I get MORE money, and how do I choose *what* I want?

So, I'm thinking, and he says he might have some parts I'm interested in, let's go look at them! So, I walk through a room, and there are boards on shelves. A couple new DMD displays. Transformers, rubber rings, switches, parts from parted out games, bumper caps, plastics, all sorts of parts. He says $200 for all. SOLD!

So, we go back and forth on the games again, and I'm behind the 8 ball. I want these games - as many of them as I can get. But, I know I can't afford them all, and I don't want to make him mad, because then I get nothing! So, he finally comes back to me, and says 'How does $2000 sound for everything, not including the Addams?'

So... I tried to not sh*t my pants, tried to not look too green, and calmly say, 'I can do $2000'. Turns out, he wants the Addams for his own home, because of all the games he has had on route, if he had *one* game, Addams would be it.

I told him I would need to call Penske to get a truck, and he offered to use his business' truck, and charge me mileage. But told me I'd need to bring help to load the truck. DEAL!

On the way out, I saw an old generic JAMMA cab sitting in a dumpster. I looked inside it, and I had no clue what game it was, but the board had a couple EPROMS in it, so I reached in, and grabbed the board. The guy says 'do you have interest in JAMMA boards?'. I told him I had interest in EPROMs, not so much boards. He takes me in a room, and it's full of boards from games he's kitted out. I asked him for a price, and he said 'just take them all! Get them out of here!'

So, I thought I'd list a few of the boards on eBay, just to see if they had more value than the EPROMs that I'd be harvesting from them. And they DID.

A few days later, I'm loading the truck with one of his techs, who would be driving the truck, and a long time friend, the only person I could find to help load games. I decided to buy his tech lunch, before we hit the road. Word to the wise - any time you get a chance to buy a career arcade tech lunch, DO IT. The stories alone are worth the price of lunch. His tech was a nice guy, told many great stories about games of yesteryear, and mentioned to me that if I wanted the TAF, just be patient, it had problems and the owner would NEVER be able to figure out how to fix it.

He called me a month later. Had some more games. Nothing of high value, but stuff I knew I could find homes, and probably make a few bucks on. He sold me an old dodge ram with a liftgate at the same time. 6 games, $600, or 6 games and a truck, $1000. The 6 games brought in 2 grand, and I got a free pickup out of it. While the truck was ugly as hell, and rusty, I kept it for about 5 years, and all I put in it besides gas and oil was a battery and 4 new tires. When I was done with the truck, I sold it on Craigslist for $400, needing brakes and having about a million mud daubers living in it from sitting most of the time. The day the truck sold, I went outside to start the truck, and it wouldn't start. I popped the hood, and the neighbors cat was sitting on the front of the engine, half his body laying inside one of the drive belts. If it'd started, I'd have surely killed his cat. Damn lucky cat! Jump started it, and drove it onto the flatbed when the new owner showed up.

The op called me about a year later. Guess who got the TAF? Yep! No, it wasn't as good a deal as the previous games.. but it was a good deal! At that point, I'd already bought myself a TAF from another retired operator, so I just resold this one.

The other TAF came in a lot from another retired coin operator. Seems the guy had operated illegal gambling machines in the early 90s. He bought a few pins, vids and jukeboxes to make his locations seem 'legitimate'. They never got much play. I got a DE Simpsons, Teed Off, Funhouse and TAF from him for 2 grand. Sounds like a good deal at first, no?

Well..... he told me they were in his 'shed'. And the directions to his property included 'turn off the paved road'. So, I made sure we were packing heat when we went after these games! And his shed.. turned out to be a condemned house next to his that he was using as a storage building. He was getting ready to throw them in a sinkhole on his property, before knocking the building down. And they were bad. Squirrels, Mice or *something* had lived in them all at one point.

So, sometimes, the 'deals' are not all that they were cut out to be.. I still did OK on the 2nd lot, don't get me wrong... but I also had to pull ticks off my skin, spray games down with lysol and raid, etc...

The TAF had to have pretty much all of its playfield hardware replaced, including posts. Seems mouse urine is corrosive. Who knew?

#11 9 years ago

Traded a cannondale bicycle I bought for $140 to get a 2003 Chevy z71 truck the other day. Found a 1972 Blythe doll in a garbage pile and sold it for $1200 on ebay. Probably my favorite hobby buying low selling high. Right behind mountains biking. It doesn't always work out though. Mainly with pins.

#12 9 years ago

Got a free Stern Cheetah. Then proceeded to probably spend way more than it was worth to bring it back from the dead. So I always tell people that, even though I got it for free, I overpaid for it.

Recently got a Star Gazer for $250. The guy I bought it from got it for $100 and didn't want it because he doesn't collect pinball machines.

#13 9 years ago

Okay, I'll share mine.

I was walking down the street when I saw this building full of pinball machines and washing machines!? Crazy, so I walk in. The owner is there and I can tell because he's doing his laundry (they're his machines right?). He tries to sell me all the pinball machines for $8.75, but then he reveals, no keys to the coin doors!? I show him how much locks are on ebay for 10 machines, so we agree that he will pay me $3.50 to take the machines. He gave me the cash and helped me load all 10 machines into the back of my honda civic.

I flipped all the machines on eBay and made a cool 50k. I used that money to buy a laundromat and wouldn't you know, a couple years later, some scumbag stole all my machines! What a world...

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

Years and years ago, I was sitting at work on a Friday...

Holy crap John! It must have taken you an hour to write all that. I had to take my ADHD medicine to read it all. Great stories.

That last one reminded me of an Op around here who, like yours, was into illegal gambling. Man those guys are greedy SOBs. He was in poor health and wanted to clear out his warehouse that he had left abandoned for 10 years. The roof had collapsed on the upper level and needless to say, you can imagine what condition the games were in. He also had trailers full of games outside that were safe from the elements, but they were all vids and most were crap nobody wanted. He had one gem in there, though -- an EDOT. But it was in such sad shape and missing parts that it would cost well over what it's worth to fix it. And he wanted $600 for it. Ha.

The only pins I was interested in were a couple of Big Guns. Looked decent, but assumed non-working. No electricity in the building so no way to test. $750 each....pass. All of the other pins had water damage to the point where the backglasses had completely delaminated, cabinets were swollen and all the playfields, if lucky enough to be covered with glass, were overgrown with mold. I thought for $50 maybe I could cherry pick a couple of them to hopefully save. If not, I could at least sell some parts. I don't remember what he wanted for them, but I walked away in complete disgust.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Recently got a Star Gazer for $250. The guy I bought it from got it for $100 and didn't want it because he doesn't collect pinball machines.

That story makes me sick and reminds me of the Star Gazer I missed in KC for $450. Missed it by a day. This one was bought by someone who didn't care either, but was happy to sell it to someone who did for 3x. I'm still looking for mine. Congrats on yours, that was a fantastic deal.

I always stop in Amini's when I'm in KC. Guy asks what game I'm looking for, says they are sure to find it. I tell him Star Gazer and give him my email and phone. Never heard from him again.

#16 9 years ago

Best ever were...

Free Gottlieb Atlantis in amazing condition last year.
    $1,100 STTNG about 3-4 years ago
    $1,000 WH2O about 3-4 years ago
    $250 Shaq Attaq about 3 years ago

#17 9 years ago

My best from my time at Greater Southern :

PinBot - 150
    Funhouse - 300 (and a NOS wms pf, for $180)
    Medieval - 2000

Non-Greater Southern :

SafeCracker - 800 (Namco)
    Marble Madness (Video) - made $25 (Namco; bought as road runner, installed MM kit, sold RR kit)

2 months later
    #18 9 years ago

My best deals were:

1985 I bought a Tempest for $75 and got an Atari Football (x's and o's) thrown in for free.

1995ish I bought a Fan-Tas-Tic not working for $75. I got it working properly and sold it to my brother-in-law for $200. A year or so later he wanted to sell it and said as long as I got his $200 back out of it for him I could have a nice 4x8 trailer with leaf suspension. I got the trailer.

1996ish I bought a Stern Freefall dead at an auction for $175. I was into skydiving so it was very cool. I got it working and kept it for a little over a year, that is when the owner of a drop zone contacted me and made an offer. I told him it wasn't for sale. He kept raising his offer until I couldn't refuse.
    I bought a Lectronamo dead at auction for $75. Got it working minus sound and sold it for $200.

I bought a working Arkanoid for $25 because it was in an orange Taito cabinet (Crazy Climber). Just after that I saw a Firepower for sale fairly close to home. I called the guy and asked if he would trade his non working pinball for a working arcade game (Arkanoid). He traded. I traded the Firepower for a non working Star Trek cockpit arcade. I traded the Star Trek for a nice working Tempest and a working Space Duel in decent shape.

1997ish I went to buy arcade machines from a bar owner. While waiting at the bar the bartender asked if I ever heard of Crazy Climber (one of my faves), I said no. He said he had one that you could hear play but the monitor was messed up. He wanted $50 for it. I told him I had to hang on to my cash for the deal with the bar owner. He said he would take $25, so I said OK. He called his wife and said I was coming for the machine. When she opened the garage door I was stunned. I expected a common taito cc, but it was a Nichibutsu Deluxe Crazy Climber. It had over $20 in the coin box too. I traded it to a collector that had been looking for a few years. He was in the PC business. He traded me $1400 worth of computer equipment for it. Back to the bar... the owner shows up and I followed him to a putt putt golf place that had been closed since the eighties. Inside were 2 nice, but dead Donkey Kongs. I got them for $50 each. Both just needed fuses in the monitors (older nintendo monitors had sound go through them). They were sold for a total of around $1500.

1998 I bought a Marilyn Taxi at auction for $500. Just needed minor repairs

2014 I bought a Stern Sea Witch and a Bally Evel Knievel SS with no backglass for $100. I swapped a ram from the EK into the Sea Witch and it was fixed.

#19 9 years ago

My best deals were:

1985 I bought a Tempest for $75 and got an Atari Football (x's and o's) thrown in for free.

1995ish I bought a Fan-Tas-Tic not working for $75. I got it working properly and sold it to my brother-in-law for $200. A year or so later he wanted to sell it and said as long as I got his $200 back out of it for him I could have a nice 4x8 trailer with leaf suspension. I got the trailer.

1996ish I bought a Stern Freefall dead at an auction for $175. I was into skydiving so it was very cool. I got it working and kept it for a little over a year, that is when the owner of a drop zone contacted me and made an offer. I told him it wasn't for sale. He kept raising his offer until I couldn't refuse.
    I bought a Lectronamo dead at auction for $75. Got it working minus sound and sold it for $200.

I bought a working Arkanoid for $25 because it was in an orange Taito cabinet (Crazy Climber). Just after that I saw a Firepower for sale fairly close to home. I called the guy and asked if he would trade his non working pinball for a working arcade game (Arkanoid). He traded. I traded the Firepower for a non working Star Trek cockpit arcade. I traded the Star Trek for a nice working Tempest and a working Space Duel in decent shape.

1997ish I went to buy arcade machines from a bar owner. While waiting at the bar the bartender asked if I ever heard of Crazy Climber (one of my faves), I said no. He said he had one that you could hear play but the monitor was messed up. He wanted $50 for it. I told him I had to hang on to my cash for the deal with the bar owner. He said he would take $25, so I said OK. He called his wife and said I was coming for the machine. When she opened the garage door I was stunned. I expected a common taito cc, but it was a Nichibutsu Deluxe Crazy Climber. It had over $20 in the coin box too. I traded it to a collector that had been looking for a few years. He was in the PC business. He traded me $1400 worth of computer equipment for it. Back to the bar... the owner shows up and I followed him to a putt putt golf place that had been closed since the eighties. Inside were 2 nice, but dead Donkey Kongs. I got them for $50 each. Both just needed fuses in the monitors (older nintendo monitors had sound go through them). They were sold for a total of around $1500.

2014 I bought a Stern Sea Witch and a Bally Evel Knievel SS with no backglass for $100. I swapped a ram from the EK into the Sea Witch and it was fixed.

#20 9 years ago

My best deals were:

#21 9 years ago

Oh, I forgot about Tempest ... bought that one, put it on its side to load it up, heard all kinds of crashing tinkling sounds inside ... was horrified the picture tube might have broken loose.

Nope. Cash came out of the cash box. Was 3/4ths full.

#22 9 years ago

You guys make me sick.........

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-were-the-best-deals-that-you-ever-got-ive-gotten-a-few and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.