(Topic ID: 311166)

What Wedgehead is better on 3 ball setting then 5?

By tscottn

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

I know for most wedgehead junkies its all about the 5 ball game.. but I'm curious as to what others think is a better game for a wedgie on 3 ball than 5? For me its my Kingpin. I love the roaming5k spot and the replay special that 3 ball offers. My only grip is that its just 3 balls and not 5 so the fun just doesn't last as long.

However I modified my kingpin to play 5 balls with the 3 ball ruleset and I just love it. The only thing I needed to change was the replay values since 3 ball will score higher in general so I needed to way up the replay score adjustment to compensate. But honestly I just think its a better game. So what other wedgeheads do you think are better on 3 balls then 5?

#2 2 years ago
    Quoted from tscottn:

I know for most wedgehead junkies its all about the 5 ball game.. but I'm curious as to what others think is a better game for a wedgie on 3 ball than 5? For me its my King pin. I love the roaming5k spot and the replay special that 3 ball offers. My only grip is that its just 3 balls and not 5 so the fun just doesn't last as long.
    However I modified my king pin to play 5 balls with the 3 ball ruleset and I just love it. The only thing I needed to change was the replay values since 3 ball will score higher in general so I needed to way up the replay score adjustment to compensate. But honestly I just think its a better game. So what other wedgeheads do you think are better on 3 balls then 5?

#3 2 years ago

I keep all my wedgeheads on 5 ball, but Volley on 3 ball has an interesting gameplay. Machine spots you a random color to start the game, lit pops are 1,000, and both specials are lit when the targets are all down. Same 5,000 targets for completed colors and I think more lanes are lit for 5,000. Not bad but do prefer 5 balls

#4 2 years ago

There isn’t a single one.

The games are designed to be played over the course of 5 balls.

#5 2 years ago

I prefer 5 ball on them. It seems more authentic to the original.

#6 2 years ago

5 balls all the way. Back in the day, I never dropped a coin in any machine if it only gave 3 balls!

#7 2 years ago

I like Neptune in Novelty mode with 3 balls. Fun game

#8 2 years ago

Please don't crucify me for this, but I keep all my wedgeheads on 3 ball play. Really, just because when guests play, they expect the same 3 ball convention that all my other games are set on.

That being said! I jumper the 3/5 ball play jones plugs so that they have 5 ball rules. Seems like a good compromise, even if they're tough as nails to "complete."

Agree though. Every wedgehead is made for a 5 ball experience.

#9 2 years ago

3-ball EM games can be *brutal*.

I love seeing an EM set on 3 balls in a tourney bank with some of the modern pins and the TD saying the EM is set on 3 balls to keep the lines moving (rolling eyes).

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

That being said! I jumper the 3/5 ball play jones plugs so that they have 5 ball rules. Seems like a good compromise, even if they're tough as nails to "complete."

IMO, this is the worst of both worlds, as now you only get 3 balls, but you get the tougher rule set associated with 5 balls. It really makes some of the special features on some games completely out of reach. Say Jacks Open - you will probably never get to shoot for the royal flush.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from Vintage-Pinball:

5 balls all the way. Back in the day, I never dropped a coin in any machine if it only gave 3 balls!

2 games per quarter, 5 balls a game.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-wedgehead-is-better-on-3-ball-setting-then-5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.