Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

#1 7 years ago

Hey all,

I just got a new computer a MacBook Pro. I know it's overpriced for its specs but discounting price it just feels great. I had tried out a Windows 10 laptop but the darn thing while brand new was having all those annoying MS issues like periodic drivers not working or programs locking up. Anyway I still own a MS desktop am used to IE but I want to start to use an all new web browser that can be used for both Windows and Mac OS.

I know Chrome is the leading browser but I've read that reviews like PC magazine recommend Firefox and Opera gets some positive reviews.

Any recommendations?

#2 7 years ago

Is it really overpriced? Or are other computers underpriced?

Okay, here are my two cents:

Pinside is developed under Chrome, so my vote goes to Chrome. It's cross-platform and really great If you dislike its Google attachment, you can opt for any webkit running on webkit (Chromium, for example), but you'll miss the Google Extensions

That said, the underlying browser engine (webkit) is also at the core of Safari, so Safari should be just as good (and for some reasons always feels a bit faster to me).

Firefox is a great browser but I've always felt it to be a bit more resource hungry and slower ("laggy?").

I would avoid Opera and other smaller browsers for your main browsing, developers (myself include) don't test their websites as thoroughly as on the more popular platforms. You might run into a lot of unexpected issues.

#3 7 years ago

I was reading the opposite that is, they say Chrome uses the resources more than Firefox, they call Chrome the laptop killer because it tends to use more battery and CPU cycles and ram etc.. However it seems like browsers are updated very often so maybe in the past Firefox was more of a resourse hog than now.

But that being said my computer has 16G of ram so it likely wouldn't be an issue.

#4 7 years ago

I use both firefox and chrome, depending on what computer or device I'm using. Either one is a good choice. Chrome would probably be a bit more user friendly if you're not a power user.

Years ago, I was a big opera supporter, but eventually I got frustrated with websites that didn't render or operate correctly, so I gave up on it. But, since then, they switched to the browser engine that powers Chrome, so I imagine things improved. However, now it's owned by a group of Chinese investors, so I'm a bit wary of it.

#5 7 years ago

They say Chrome is good plus it's got the Google ecosystem.

I own a lot of Google stock so I like the idea of going that way but I don't want to be like a sheep just get the same thing every one else is getting I like to be a maverick if there is something better

I don't want to take the time to learn both so I want to pick something now-ish and learn the ins and outs

Is there a good tutorial for Chrome or Firefox or a video that I can watch to get an idea of the features ?

#7 7 years ago

Also, I'd recommend installing the add-ons "uBlock Origin" and "Ghostery" to help block ads and browser trackers.

#8 7 years ago

I just run macs, and safari is real slow and was advised by one of the tech moderators here to go firefox and real happy, runs fast and hassle free

#9 7 years ago

I like Opera, as stripped down as possible with just an ad blocker installed. I use it all day everyday and have very few problems with it. It's very fast too. There isn't much penalty for having others installed so I have Firefox loaded with various add-ons in case I need them, and Chrome and Edge as backups in case I need them for the occasional website that won't work on Opera.

I don't like to be overly tied to anyone's "ecosystem" and do whatever I can to minimize the tentacles of Microsoft, Apple and Google. But that's just me. I also have a tinfoil hat to wear while surfing.

#10 7 years ago

I use both Firefox and Chrome equally.

A good addon I recommend that is compatible with both is Stylish which can enhance your browsing experience by both customising individual websites and blocking obtrusive ads that you have no interest in.

#11 7 years ago

Chome easy for me. It performs well and you can sign in to the browser so it works pretty seamlessly across your devices.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I know it's overpriced for its specs

Not necessarily. Spec for Spec, Macs are surprisingly price competitive when you get to higher end PCs. I've been using a Macbook Pro for years and here's what I've noticed about their browsers.

Safari: Definitely has the upper hand when it comes to power efficiency. Apple really seemed to build their browser with power usage in mind. It'll shut gifs off, and will prioritize loading of certain tabs and windows if they're not in view. Another benefit to using safari is that if you have an iphone or ipad logged in with the same Apple ID, you can "hand off" web pages between your devices seamlessly. (ie, reading a pinside thread on your mac, but decide to switch to your ipad, it'll automatically load pinside on your ipad.)

Chrome: Absolutely universal, fast, and loaded with features. I love Chrome extensions, and I love it's customizability. I've found that web pages are usually displayed more accurately under chrome than any other browser I use, thus Chrome is my default, go-to browser.

#13 7 years ago

I don't want to sound like an Apple fanboy 'it just works' etc,, but I've used PCs since DOS + Win 3.1 and now just bought my first Mac. Just seems like MS seems to need more patience and putting up with crashes and snags.

I was reading that IT professionals prefer Mac as they spend less downtime and last longer (your results may vary).

IBM reported that Macs cost $500/year less to maintain, something like 40% of PC users needed tech support and only 5% of Mac computer users.

http://www.imore.com/macs-are-543-cheaper-windows-pcs-says-ibm

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I don't want to sound like an Apple fanboy 'it just works' etc,, but I've used PCs since DOS + Win 3.1 and now just bought my first Mac. Just seems like MS seems to need more patience and putting up with crashes and snags.
I was reading that IT professionals prefer Mac as they spend less downtime and last longer (your results may vary).
IBM reported that Macs cost $500/year less to maintain, something like 40% of PC users needed tech support and only 5% of Mac computer users.
http://www.imore.com/macs-are-543-cheaper-windows-pcs-says-ibm

That's basically an apple fan boy site. I wouldn't depend on for an unbiased comparison.

There is no concensus among IT professionals. It's basically the same as the Ford vs Chevy argument.

#15 7 years ago

I use microsoft/pc at work and macs at home and so many things are just easier and more user friendly to use (on a mac), don't have to buy virus software and great with photo storage & sorting etc and can confirm the imacs last a long time and still work fast in years later. yes a little dearer but their specs are a little higher on purchase hence the price but worth it.

Macs also run windows faster in parallels than it runs on a pc.

#16 7 years ago

If you ever intend on visiting China (bringing your laptop) FORGET Chrome - anything Google is blocked here and you would have no end of trouble trying to use it here.

Firefox works fine for me.

#17 7 years ago

I mostly use firefox, and chrome on my phone

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

don't have to buy virus software

Common misconception. There are plenty of nasty viruses, trojans, and malware for Apple's mobile and desktop platforms.

Quoted from swinks:

can confirm the imacs last a long time and still work fast in years later

This is no different than with any other hardware, as long as you don't get the cheap $300 no-name walmart stuff.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-web-browser-should-i-switch-to and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.