(Topic ID: 243998)

What we've learned from our homebrews

By Gornkleschnitzer

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_127187.gif
    image_127195 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190310_123551319 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190510_200636176 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190410_223505807_BURST001 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170819_192223585 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180607_221313262_LL (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TopMoose.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 4 years ago

Agreed - don't give yourself a deadline. Also, be conscious of costs, but don't set a strict budget (things will go wrong and parts will have to be re-bought or re-made. Don't let it get you down).

I re-purposed a cabinet and playfield, which saved probably a year of work and shaved at least $1000 off the supply budget.

Most importantly, start with the end in mind. Before starting anything, visualize how you want the game to look, feel and sound. Write out lists and draw diagrams of how the game modes should work and progress. Sketch some artwork. Think about what you do and don't like on existing games.

Lastly, before you begin, identify people who can help with electrical and programming issues and with artwork and printing. I could not have made Queen without the P-ROC and MPF online forums.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gornkleschnitzer:

Undertale was originally going to be driven by a Raspberry Pi until it proved underpowered

I started with a RasPi B+ and quickly discovered that the processing power is way too slow for pinball. I ended up with an Asus Tinkerboard - same footprint, twice the power and speed.

Quoted from Gornkleschnitzer:

-Wire access hole(s). Make them big enough.

Along the same lines, give yourself more cable than you think you need leading from the playfield to the backbox. 6' is barely enough - give it 8 or 12 to be safe. You don't want to keep yanking the connections out every time you lift the playfield. Being stingy with wire is one of my regrets on Queen.

Quoted from TopMoose:

Most importantly, start with the end in mind.

Since my project used an existing playfield, I had to think up a use for every insert - I had to use all of them and couldn't drill any new ones. For example, my concept didn't include bonus scoring, so the bonus lights became a mode progress meter and the two bonus multiplier inserts became playfield scoring multiplier indicators. A row of three inserts on the right side are only used like runway lights, directing the player to lock the ball.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Were you "rpi is too slow" people using mpf? I'm curious since otherwise I can't fathom a Pi being too slow. My last build used an 80MHz arm processor, I'd been assuming a Pi would have tons of extra oomf :/

I used MPF and P-ROC hardware and a Raspberry Pi 3 was too slow. Even without elaborate display graphics, there's a ton of stuff all going on at once - sounds stack up and a game can run a dozen or more sub-routines and timers all at the same time. It gets more complicated than you may suspect.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TopMoose.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-we-ve-learned-from-our-homebrews?tu=TopMoose and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.