(Topic ID: 64146)

What was your latest dumb a@@ move? Fess up...

By Foo

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 55 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by btw75
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7of9.jpg
    apronnew.jpg
    100_3870.JPG
    There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

I'll start...

I just finished putting the final touches on a Dr. Dude I just picked up. All I had to do was put in the coin box inside the cabinet. Power on... metal coin box... box gets snagged on a wire... touches something on one of the flippers under the pf... sparks fly. Fired it up and luckily only the left flipper was dead. Luckier yet... just a fuse. Dumb a@@.

#2 10 years ago

Getting involved in a pissing match with PoMC

#3 10 years ago

I had a piece of pinball glass that had a sharp edge on it....soooo I took it over to my buddys windshield shop to use his belt sander on it (I know bad idea right its tempered) i touch the sander to it and all is good, I smooth it out and go for 1 last pass... then boom the glass explodes in my hands What a mess!

#4 10 years ago

Sliced my hand on a DMD glass. Damnit.

#5 10 years ago

Cleaned my Mermaid playfield with Goof Off.

Just kidding!! Don't own the game, and know better.

#6 10 years ago

I put a little mylar circle protector where the ball drops down out of the Tortuga on POTC, then reassembled the game, which is a few layers. THEN I realized that I forgot to peel off the paper backing.

And now that I think of it the most recent thing was tonight: I went to a local restorer's house and when offered to play his A list row I first declined since I don't want to like them and then "have to" own one - but then I gave in a played MM anyway. So yes. Its going on to my wish list. what a dumba$$.

#7 10 years ago

Sold my sweet ass HUO LOTR.

#8 10 years ago

Changed the batteries in my fast break took the back glass off and put it back on with the game on now something is fried.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

F'n idiot!

Is that a personal attack? No, it's a comment designed to build your character & wisdom!

#10 10 years ago

Bought a WOZ for 10K

#11 10 years ago

Traded a BSD for a GL and Cue Ball Wizard.....never trade QUALITY for QUANTITY...."lesson learned". I miss my BSD !!!

#12 10 years ago

I lost that switch adjustment tool. AGAIN!!!

#13 10 years ago

I opened this thread

#14 10 years ago

I trusted a fart earlier today. We're no longer on friendly terms.

#15 10 years ago

Had a flipper get stuck in the up position - troubleshot it for over an hour; pouring through the manual, studying schematics, measuring voltages... then spotted a small broken piece in the cabinet - problem was a cracked opto interrupter.

#16 10 years ago

I traded a whirlwind for a f14 tomcat. I don't even know what I was thinking.

#17 10 years ago

Even with the pinflation of the past year or two, I broke even on my CSI. I'm ok with that.

#18 10 years ago

Overpaid when I first got in the hobby, 13 years ago........Still hurting........

Recently passed on $800 for a decent Apollo 13, didn't want to haul it up out of the basement, up the steps, etc.....Too tired, and too many pins.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinstor12:

Overpaid when I first got in the hobby, 13 years ago........Still hurting........
    Recently passed on $800 for a decent Apollo 13, didn't want to haul it up out of the basement, up the steps, etc.....Too tired, and too many pins.

Why can't I find deals like that to pass on??

#20 10 years ago

Spent about half an hour trying to diagnose a GI issue before I realised my meter was set to DC instead of AC.

#21 10 years ago

Accidentally left the balls in when lifting the playfield on my WCS while showing it to a fellow pinsider. Luckily no damage was done.

Fried a transistor when I put LEDs in my BSD, luckily I was able to replace it on my own, never used a soldering owning before owning pins.

#22 10 years ago

Reading about the Aussie WOZ deal.
    The deal that went south ironically south of the border....

When your money goes down the toilet it swirls in a counter clockwise (anti clockwise) direction.

#23 10 years ago

Ruined the apron pain on Quicksilver trying to remove some nasty operators labels. Had my local printer make a label for $37 but they misunderstood the description I gave. Instead of printing a clear label they printed it on white, claim they can't do a "blackout" label on clear. I was stuck hand cutting the label print out with an x-acto knife. I guess it looks just o.k., was not really the results I was looking for.

100_3870.JPG100_3870.JPG apronnew.jpgapronnew.jpg

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from Ronnie1114:

I traded a Whirlwind for a f14 tomcat. I don't even know what I was thinking.

IMO both titles are evenly matched. While a trade is even, the best option if you have either is to add the other . I have the Tomcat, would like to find a Whirlwind - but no way would I trade my F-14 for it.

#25 10 years ago

I was putting LED's in a machine with the power on.
    I saw that a socket was really close to a coil lug.
    Thought I had better turn the power off before I started moving the socket around to get the old bulb out.
    I didn't.
    Pop, poof, coil stuck on.

One new transistor later, and the game was back to normal. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from Triumvirat73:

I trusted a fart earlier today. We're no longer on friendly terms.

#27 10 years ago

Swapped out a bulb w/ machine on and wedding ring on... Tapped a coil w/ ring bzzzz! Yep won't do that again

#28 10 years ago

zapped myself (more than once ) implementing the "fonz mod" because i was too dense to insulate the new start switch from the door...

#29 10 years ago

Snapped off the screws trying to change a flipper bushing on my Taxi. Great......................

#30 10 years ago

while replacing an eos switch I burnt myself on the soldering iron. I have a nice little blister on the tip of my finger.

#31 10 years ago

I wish I took a pic! Bought a real nice...low play HUO Elvis Gold lthis past weekend. I was only moving it up 2 steps into my house so I thought I try out my nice new Escalera stair climbing dolly. What could possibly go wrong?

Never using the dolly before..I now know there's a very weird balance point when going up the stairs...way more angle that I thought. Of course I was already exhaust from getting the game out of the owners basement (with a regular dolly). I started up the first step at almost a 90 degree angle and the game completely flipped over on the head (folded up). So basically the game was laying upside down on it's head..with the dolly still strapped to the bottom..which was now the top. Kinda looked like a turtle that was flipped over..and could get back on it's feet.

Luckily I shrink wrapped the hell out of the game when I picked it up and it landed on the grass...I couldn't find a single mark on it when I finally got it sunny side up.

It was pretty entertaining...

#32 10 years ago

Believing that someone's word is worth more than their money. L...O....L.

#33 10 years ago

Getting into this hobby buying a pin and saying "sure, I will just have one"

#34 10 years ago

buying game number five when i know that four is ok and five makes dave go crazy.

#35 10 years ago

I bought PDI glass for just one of my games. Now I "need" it on all of them!

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

Bought a WOZ for 10K

?

#37 10 years ago

I should of paid $4200 instead of $3600 for my huo ac/dc pro. I could of prevented the crash with $600

#39 10 years ago

Dumb Move Awards

#40 10 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

while replacing an eos switch I burnt myself on the soldering iron. I have a nice little blister on the tip of my finger.

This happens every time I Solder something...LOL...

#41 10 years ago

I wasn't paying attention when I was soldering a diode back on a sling coil and reversed it. Fired up the game and cooked the transitor. Luckily that was the extent of the damage.
    Live and learn.

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Ditto......but actually I'm okay with it.

#43 10 years ago

Fixing the playfield hinge/slider assemblies on my only pin (The Getaway). Had the playfield propped straight up for JUST A SECOND while I went across the room to get a tool. Heard a noise and then the CRASH before I could turn back around. :-/

Luckily it only took a pair of new brackets and some straightening of the locking bar to bring it back to health.

#44 10 years ago

Reversed the flipper coil on a flipper rebuild and matched the pictures exactly.
    Oops the pictures were from the way it was originally installed. (ZZZZZZ smoke, dead flipper, fuses blown.)
    I've done this 2x now. Wondering when I'll learn.

I eventually stop feeling like $hit about it, and remind myself I do 20 awesome things for each machine between $hitty mistakes... !

-mof

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

IMO both titles are evenly matched. While a trade is even, the best option if you have either is to add the other . I have the Tomcat, would like to find a Whirlwind - but no way would I trade my F-14 for it.

Yeah, but this one has acid damage.....

#46 10 years ago

I pre-ordered STLE even though I previously said that I wouldn't buy another pin before playing it, and despite the fact that 90% of Pinside is crapping on it.

#47 10 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I pre-ordered STLE even though I previously said that I wouldn't buy another pin before playing it, and despite the fact that 90% of Pinside is crapping on it.

you KNEW you'd pre-order it, resistance was futile...

still a lot cheaper than pre-ordering the latest greatest projector sight unseen...

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from Ronnie1114:

Yeah, but this one has acid damage.....

I see. Yeah that would suck.

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Yea but the upside is you will likely not wait years to get it.
    YMMV

#50 10 years ago

resistance was futile...

Resistance is futile all right... nom nom nom

7of9.jpg7of9.jpg

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-was-your-latest-dumb-a-move-fess-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.