(Topic ID: 264875)

What was YOUR last Enlightenment regarding flipper skills?

By ABE_FLIPS

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200404_143346 (resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

The title says it all, insight in depth.

#2 4 years ago

My best live catches are done when drunk.

#3 4 years ago

tap passes aren't that hard, and very useful!

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from WolfManCat:

My best live catches are done when drunk.

because your reactiontime are some millisecond slower.
    think about that when you play sober next time

#5 4 years ago

I have always used my middle fingers to flip.

And I always marvel how one's brain can rewire to use thumbs on a tablet for flipping, with no extra effort required.

Anyway, the other day, just for the hell of it, I tried forcing myself to put both my index and middle fingers on the flippers, wondering if the concentration required would help me stay concentrated on playing, not letting my mind wander.

Early impressions were seemingly positive, but it's too soon to draw any conclusions.

#6 4 years ago

Dupe, I'm a dope

#7 4 years ago

Sometimes it's okay to panic flip. Especially on older Bally games, it's easy to try and do too much.

#8 4 years ago

What i learned is the potential of drop catches:
    Depending on the timing, angle and spin of the ball you can controll how much the ball rolls back, up the inlane or even jumps back to the other flipper.
    You really can learn and understand the physics by practicing this technique. I sometimes still get cheap drains down the middle, because the ball has a spin to it after the catch, and speeds down the center. Until now i didnt find a way to predict the ballspin, if you could help me out there?

Another thing was to make it a habbit to use the opposite flipper right after a single slap save. This saved so much balls for me.
    Right now im learning to predict if a second slap is even needed.

#9 4 years ago

I've always been a fan of drop catches or traping and its a staple on my collection...
    Until the other day when I got a Captain Fantastic.
    The left double flipper set up will swallow balls alot when using main flipper. Will take so getting used too

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I have always used my middle fingers to flip.
    And I always marvel how one's brain can rewire to use thumbs on a tablet for flipping, with no extra effort required.
    Anyway, the other day, just for the hell of it, I tried forcing myself to put both my index and middle fingers on the flippers, wondering if the concentration required would help me stay concentrated on playing, not letting my mind wander.
    Early impressions were seemingly positive, but it's too soon to draw any conclusions.

Right hand -> index finger
    Left hand -> middle finger

Not sure how that happened...

I've tried both index and both middle.
    Just doesn't feel right and always go back "to normal" sometime during play and don't even realize it.

1 week later
    #11 3 years ago

When I learned that I could bump nudge even the tightest tables, without tilting.

#12 3 years ago

I'm finding that my shots have more power when using my middle fingers. I swap to middle when my thumbs are tired from resting on the side rails when using my index fingers. I have better accuracy with the index fingers since they are what I usually use but when playing IMDN my middle finger shots feel more true and fly around the ramps. I get excited and swap to middle fingers for a few games but eventually subconsciously revert back to index.

#13 3 years ago

I learn new stuff every time I play since I'm still terrible and learning the basics. I only recently started using dead flips and saw a huge improvement with that. Trying to do drop catches, but it seems impossible right now. They look like a magic trick when done right.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from stavio:

I've always been a fan of drop catches or traping and its a staple on my collection...
    Until the other day when I got a Captain Fantastic.
    The left double flipper set up will swallow balls alot when using main flipper. Will take so getting used too

Case in point...
    There's no good outcome from this lol

20200404_143346 (resized).jpg20200404_143346 (resized).jpg
    #15 3 years ago

It was about 40 years ago in college, they had a student union with 6 or 8 SS pinballs in there. This big guy is in there playing and I watch him doing all kinds of tricks I never thought of. But I'm pretty damn lazy when I'm playing so not much of it rubbed off on me. Just letting the ball bounce off one flipper so I can hit it with the other instead is a relatively huge act of pinball wizardry on my part.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

What was your last enlightenment regarding flipper skills?

Seeing guys who have already received their R&M pins try to make a couple thousand or so profit by selling them.

Or is that not the kind of flipper skills you meant?

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

What i learned is the potential of drop catches:
    Depending on the timing, angle and spin of the ball you can controll how much the ball rolls back, up the inlane or even jumps back to the other flipper.
    You really can learn and understand the physics by practicing this technique. I sometimes still get cheap drains down the middle, because the ball has a spin to it after the catch, and speeds down the center. Until now i didnt find a way to predict the ballspin, if you could help me out there?
    Another thing was to make it a habbit to use the opposite flipper right after a single slap save. This saved so much balls for me.
    Right now im learning to predict if a second slap is even needed.

Great point... sometimes a single very quick tap save leads to a better shot from the bounce, as opposed to a double tap save, not knowing where the ball will be speeding towards... on the flip side, there are times when that single tap save attempt leads to the ball draining when perhaps a dual tap save might have ended up differently... that's what's so great about pinball... deciding on the fly what type of save will lead to the next best shot!

1 week later
    #18 3 years ago

Tap pass on modern machines, not just EMs and early solid states.

#19 3 years ago

The Karl catch. Karl DeAngelo does this thing in multiball where if he already has one ball cradled and another heads for the same flipper, he taps the flipper just enough to bobble the trapped ball up the inlane a hair, which makes room for the second ball and deadens its momentum, trapping them both. Kinda like a weak/aborted post pass. Sorry I don’t have a clip to post.

1 week later
    #20 3 years ago

Been practising my rudimentary multiball skills since Aerosmith hit the house.
    Trapping one or two on each flipper, juggling from one flipper to another etc. It's 50% showing off and 50% needed strategy i spose, but it's good practice on a six ball multi.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-was-your-last-enlightenment-regarding-flipper-skills?hl=snappahead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.