Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 204 posts
  • 160 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Jakers
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What was your first pin and do you still have it ”

• Do you still have your first 155 votes
      66%
    • Did you sell your first 56 votes
      24%
    • Did you sell and miss your first 25 votes
      11%

(Multiple choice - 236 votes by 229 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

53B507E1-04C1-4403-8789-87AFC3E322A6.jpeg
    106FE6D1-DF74-4904-88DD-BB1B8A197836.jpeg
    download (resized).jpeg
    E6374A95-9D52-46AD-B884-69795E98CD3C (resized).jpeg
    5D7D75C3-658E-4174-AAFC-387F816DBCD8 (resized).jpeg
    8907EE5F-B6C9-4F10-8E31-4B98D244055D (resized).jpeg
    B81B0F87-96D1-455F-82E3-54FE965AC6BA (resized).jpeg
    77F77F18-9032-49CB-8CEC-ECDFBCABAE76 (resized).jpeg
    85F10953-602B-4A8F-875E-91C5AA82B0E4 (resized).jpeg
    B71F87F5-B4C7-4D38-AE5A-B59936DD66F0 (resized).jpeg
    F96DE334-C8F8-4B56-9C80-4FC9AF2ADA5E (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    A0C1F281-E67E-488A-A0B1-0499ED674966 (resized).jpeg
    1 best (resized).JPG
    6 (resized).JPG
    DEBAEF3E-16CC-4B88-8F48-99F8E2DB32A1 (resized).jpeg
    There are 204 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
    #151 2 years ago

My goal is to get to a 4th page so let’s help a pinhead out .I guess I can keep sending posts myself

#152 2 years ago
    C3FC8C86-2E87-486C-A019-39E39804CD1F (resized).jpegC3FC8C86-2E87-486C-A019-39E39804CD1F (resized).jpeg
    #153 2 years ago

My first was a RFM and I liked it a lot, great theme and really funny callouts. Added LEDs, the missing slingshot spotlights and removed everything and cleaned to get it in good shape.

I did sell it after a few years though but that wasn't because I was bored of it but rather that the pin2k form factor made the game stand out and look awkward in my wpc/95 collection.

#154 2 years ago

My first pin was a roached out space shuttle… I did my best to get it fixed up .. but half the playfield was missing .. I eventually found a better example and bought that one .. space shuttle is bolted to the ground but always in search of a perfect one

DEBAEF3E-16CC-4B88-8F48-99F8E2DB32A1 (resized).jpegDEBAEF3E-16CC-4B88-8F48-99F8E2DB32A1 (resized).jpeg
    #155 2 years ago
    Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

My first was a RFM and I liked it a lot, great theme and really funny callouts. Added LEDs and the missing slingshot spotlights to get it in good shape.
    I did sell it after a few years though but that wasn't because I was bored of it but rather that the pin2k form factor made the game stand out and look awkward in my wpc/95 collection.

I have not seen that one out anywhere yet .They have the SWE1 at a restaurant we go to but they tell me it hasn’t worked in years.Such a shame just sitting there doing nothing .

#156 2 years ago
    Quoted from spikelou2:

My first pin was a roached out space shuttle… I did my best to get it fixed up .. but half the playfield was missing .. I eventually found a better example and bought that one .. space shuttle is bolted to the ground but always in search of a perfect one
    [quoted image]

Looks pretty solid from the pic .I’ve only played that one on the Williams app and seems like a fun game .I’d like to play a real one .STTNG is another one I’ve been looking to play I hear a lot of good things about .There’s not many location places in my area .I’ve been hunting around here and there .I need to start looking more at Ground Zero (Chi Town).At some point I need to trade off something I have for a pre LCD era pin but just not now .

#157 2 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

Looks pretty solid from the pic .I’ve only played that one on the Williams app and seems like a fun game .I’d like to play a real one .STTNG is another one I’ve been looking to play I hear a lot of good things about .There’s not many location places in my area .I’ve been hunting around here and there .I need to start looking more at Ground Zero (Chi Town).At some point I need to trade off something I have for a pre LCD era pin but just not now .

You played Space Station in the Williams app. Space Shuttle is the original. I find it very fun for its era. Way more enjoyable than others around that time.

#158 2 years ago

First pin was a TSPP my dad got us for Christmas. I was in high school at the time. Still have it; never getting rid of it.

Hoping a Futurama pin drops sometime. Would be great next to a Simpsons pin.

#159 2 years ago

Class of 1812, miss it

#160 2 years ago

My first pin was Bally Atlantis in early 2018 for $2000.

When purchased, it looked neglected and needing some tlc: dusty, unwaxed, plastics loose, all original incandescent lighting, unplugged in the living room with stuff piled on it. Everything worked though, many new uninstalled parts, no battery damage or hacks, factory playfield mylar, with cabinet and translite both 9/10.

A working diamond in the rough, just what I was looking for in a first pin!

Turns out its' first two years were in a Montreal arcade, was coveted by a local player who purchased it and moved to Vancouver where it spent many years HUO, explaining the very good condition it was in. After cleaning it up, installing leds, a playfield protector, art blades, a new 3D printed sub and Fathom bumper caps, it has given me no issues or breakdowns.

I was lucky to acquire such a beautiful, reliable, unmolested pin for my first. This is a major reason for fueling my continued enthusiasm and quickly acquiring five more pins.

After giving me such a great, reliable and fun start to the hobby, Atlantis is never leaving!

1 best (resized).JPG1 best (resized).JPG6 (resized).JPG6 (resized).JPG
    #161 2 years ago
    Quoted from ManyQuarters:

My first pin was Bally Atlantis in early 2018 for $2000.
    When purchased, it looked neglected and needing some tlc: dusty, unwaxed, plastics loose, all original incandescent lighting, unplugged in the living room with stuff piled on it. Everything worked though, many new uninstalled parts, no battery damage or hacks, factory playfield mylar, with cabinet and translite both 9/10.
    A working diamond in the rough, just what I was looking for in a first pin!
    Turns out its' first two years were in a Montreal arcade, was coveted by a local player who purchased it and moved to Vancouver where it spent many years HUO, explaining the very good condition it was in. After cleaning it up, installing leds, a playfield protector, art blades, a new 3D printed sub and Fathom bumper caps, it has given me no issues or breakdowns.
    I was lucky to acquire such a beautiful, reliable, unmolested pin for my first. This is a major reason for fueling my continued enthusiasm and quickly acquiring five more pins.
    After giving me such a great, reliable and fun start to the hobby, Atlantis is never leaving! [quoted image][quoted image]

Real nice !

#162 2 years ago

Monday Night Football.
    Still have it. Still love it. Likely on its way out though, out of space in the basement and it just doesn't get played that much. Fun, simple game that always appeals to non pinball guests.

#163 2 years ago

My 1st game is gone and got Black Hole in it's place.

#164 2 years ago

Rescued a Hurricane from a storage facility years ago. No one would touch it. Players condition. Learned a lot, fixed it up, played it a while, then a board went. Traded it and some cash for a Fish Tales. Fought with the reel opto forever and my wife didn't like it at all. Sold it when I moved in 2013. We do miss Hurricane. But won't pay over 3k for one now..

3 weeks later
    #165 2 years ago

First pin was a Black Knight my parents bought for the family in the early/mid 1980s. I wanted the Haunted House we saw at the shop because it had three levels! But BK won out. My folks still have it.

First pin I bought was a CV I got from a local dealer. Wasn’t in great shape, but I didn’t know any better. It recently came back from HEP, so it’s in pretty good shape now…and not leaving.

A0C1F281-E67E-488A-A0B1-0499ED674966 (resized).jpegA0C1F281-E67E-488A-A0B1-0499ED674966 (resized).jpeg

4 months later
    #166 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jack8765:

First pin was a Black Knight my parents bought for the family in the early/mid 1980s. I wanted the Haunted House we saw at the shop because it had three levels! But BK won out. My folks still have it.
    First pin I bought was a CV I got from a local dealer. Wasn’t in great shape, but I didn’t know any better. It recently came back from HEP, so it’s in pretty good shape now…and not leaving.
    [quoted image]

Wow ,that is a beauty !

#167 1 year ago

The Addams Family and Theatre of Magic: I got a good deal on buying them together. I did not know much about working on machines or what to check and the learning curve was steep. Both had been heavily routed. TAF was incredibly dirty. Neither worked properly and needed a fair bit of work. I did manage a more or less completel restore on both including full LEDs, rebuilding all the flippers, slings and pops. Every coil was resleeved. New rubber, new playfield glass and any damaged or broken plastic replaced. The rubber on TAF had totally perished. I posted the MPU board on the "worst hack/repair you ever saw" topic list. To this day it has to be in the top ten. The saving grace was that both playfield were in good condition. I still have both and they are in good shape.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#168 1 year ago

Pinball Magic bought 20 years ago, and still here! My kids grew up playing it and I am forbidden from selling it. May be my favorite game of all anyhow, so no problem!

#169 1 year ago

Bone Busters that I picked up in 1999 for either $395 or $695…hmmm. But yeah, still have that game and it’s hard to imagine letting her go even though she doesn’t get much play these days!

#170 1 year ago

I actually sold our WOZRR and my wife won’t let me forget it Once we got a couple others it never got played so I figured best to get it to someone who would .

#171 1 year ago

Rollergames was my first. Bought it off of ebay from a (sort of) local operator for $850 back in 2003. Never letting it go!

#172 1 year ago

Bought a Gottlieb Genesis in 2011 for $100. I was living in college dorms at the time, but couldn't pass up the deal knowing I'd never see another $100 solid state machine. Put it in storage for 7 years while I bounced around university housing and a couple "townie" apartments until my then-fiance and I could buy a house. Once we got the house, I moved Genesis out of storage and got to work. Cleaned up some hacks, did the usual ground mods, and it ran great until literally yesterday - right flipper ain't flipping at the moment. I'm sure it's an easy fix.

The guy I bought it from is the dad of one of my still-close college buds. I wound up buying his Gorgar about a year and a half ago too. Gorgar is fixed up and working, but it would probably go first if I had to pick between Genesis and it! Genesis isn't going anywhere any time soon!

#173 1 year ago

My first was Meteor. Have owned about 7 of them since then, but the current one isn't going anywhere. Still my favorite game.

Examples I've owned the longest continuously are Black Knight (12-26-89) and Earthshaker (sometime in 1991). Damn, I've had Black Knight 33 years?!?!?

#174 1 year ago

TZ was first about 9 years ago, followed closely by TAF a few months later. Still have them and have no reason to sell. They're both great restoration candidates so they'll probably never leave. On a side note, I've never actually sold a pin.

#175 1 year ago

My first was DE Guns n Roses in 2007 and I still have it because I’m a massive fan of the band and I have memories playing it in 1994
    I now have 22 machines and been restoring them but waited until I was satisfied with my abilities until touching my GNR
    I now have and here are some pics

5D7D75C3-658E-4174-AAFC-387F816DBCD8 (resized).jpeg5D7D75C3-658E-4174-AAFC-387F816DBCD8 (resized).jpeg77F77F18-9032-49CB-8CEC-ECDFBCABAE76 (resized).jpeg77F77F18-9032-49CB-8CEC-ECDFBCABAE76 (resized).jpeg85F10953-602B-4A8F-875E-91C5AA82B0E4 (resized).jpeg85F10953-602B-4A8F-875E-91C5AA82B0E4 (resized).jpeg8907EE5F-B6C9-4F10-8E31-4B98D244055D (resized).jpeg8907EE5F-B6C9-4F10-8E31-4B98D244055D (resized).jpegB71F87F5-B4C7-4D38-AE5A-B59936DD66F0 (resized).jpegB71F87F5-B4C7-4D38-AE5A-B59936DD66F0 (resized).jpegB81B0F87-96D1-455F-82E3-54FE965AC6BA (resized).jpegB81B0F87-96D1-455F-82E3-54FE965AC6BA (resized).jpegE6374A95-9D52-46AD-B884-69795E98CD3C (resized).jpegE6374A95-9D52-46AD-B884-69795E98CD3C (resized).jpegF96DE334-C8F8-4B56-9C80-4FC9AF2ADA5E (resized).jpegF96DE334-C8F8-4B56-9C80-4FC9AF2ADA5E (resized).jpeg
    #176 1 year ago

My first game was deadpool premium. I traded it when I had less space but then got it back again last year when I expanded. Started my obsession. Now have 10 pins with 2 more coming.

#177 1 year ago

EBD. Long gone.

#178 1 year ago
    Quoted from allsportdvd:

My first was DE Guns n Roses in 2007 and I still have it because I’m a massive fan of the band and I have memories playing it in 1994
    I now have 22 machines and been restoring them but waited until I was satisfied with my abilities until touching my GNR
    I now have and here are some pics[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Very nice job !

#179 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbrave77:

My first game was deadpool premium. I traded it when I had less space but then got it back again last year when I expanded. Started my obsession. Now have 10 pins with 2 more coming.

I’m sick I sold mine .I really need to stop selling pins

#180 1 year ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

I’m sick I sold mine .I really need to stop selling pins

It can set you free to sell a machine. I sold my huo, first owner WOZECLE last year. I really, really tried to love this game. I waited forever to get it and......from the get go lots of issues. I did get them figured out. It was always a machine I did not want to work on. I could never connect with this pinball inspite of all the hype. With led board issue, well, that was the final straw. I sold it locally and the person who bought it got a screaming deal considering what they go for at present time. No regrets from my end. It just felt so.....liberating to let it go. I should also add that this was the first pinball tat I had ever sold. I have a great Judge Dredd that I will likely sell. Anyone interested?

1 month later
    #181 1 year ago

Pretty crazy to see 2/3rds still have they’re first

#182 1 year ago

My first pin I bought was Twilight Zone in Oct 2008 thru Ebay. I still have it.

#183 1 year ago
    Quoted from woody76:

DE JP, do not miss it at all

How come, just curious?

#184 1 year ago

My first pin was SF2. I just traded it for a better condition F-14. I think I got a better deal…mine still had incandescents, needed new rails (rust), and the scoop holes took a beating over the years.

Sure, F-14 is more shallow, but it’s like playing a blockbuster movie versus a decent but slow indie movie.

8 months later
    #185 1 year ago

Bump ! I like hearing these stories and if you want , jump in and tell the story of what happened to your first

#186 1 year ago

My first was Gottlieb Torch. It was a real mess that I bought at a garage sale broken. My girlfriend called and told me about it. We were living apart at the time. I drove the hour to get it and met her at work before I drove home with it in my pick-up. It took a lot of money to fix it that I will never recover. My Zip-a-doo and my Torch are two pins that I will never part with. The memories that come with them are something that I am not willing to part with.

#187 1 year ago

I bought my 1st pin about 7 years ago, an old gottlieb wedgehead em for 450 off CL. I knew nothing about pins at the time. The head had better days, as it had globs of Pl, or some kind of glue on the lower part, but I didn’t care. The game played fine, and I was happy to bring her home. I eventually sold it, but always kept the guys # in case he wanted to sell. I did but it back, and firmly believe that she’s found a forever home in my garage..

#188 1 year ago

White Water. Never leaving. Will restore it one day but it’s my most played pin so don’t mind beating it up still.

#189 1 year ago

My first pin purchase was two at once. I bought them off of ebay in 2006. My wife was not happy to see two pinball machines come in the house unannounced. They were Doctor Who and Rollergames. I still have the Doctor Who, and the wife.

#190 1 year ago

Star Pool - still have it.
    Traded a Sears Ted Williams Gamefisher boat with a 4hp Johnson outboard. Cute little motor that folded in half and stuffed in a suitcase.

download (resized).jpegdownload (resized).jpeg
    #191 1 year ago

First brand new machine I ever bought. Gottlieb Pinball Pool. February 1979.

Still have it. Ran it here about eleven years. Retired it. Brought it back in for my 30th anniversary party. It went dead in the water half way through the day. Retired it again.

Brought it back some years back and put a new power supply in it and MPU. Set up for quarter play and you can't win games on it. That way parents that don't want to stick their kid in front of a dollar game, can let their kid have a blast on it. Yet great players aren't on it all day for a quarter.

LTG : )

#192 1 year ago

First pin was Taxi. Got it for my wife X-mas of 1993. Was being routed at an Al-Anon in Costa Mesa Ca. I saved it then and we still have it.

#193 1 year ago

I bought a broken, routed, Fish Tales as my first pin...got it working 100% and really liked it, lightning flippers and all. Learnt alot about pins with my FT. Would love to own a nice example one day...I'm a bit shocked with the poll results and how few votes the third option has (sold n miss).

Sold FT alongside my other two B/W pins (Dredd and Demo Man) with a plan/dream to buy a NIB spiderman comic that was coming...Stern jacked up the prices, way higher than what I was expecting, so I sadly passed on it. Remained pinless for years until I bought an AIQ LE...now waiting for it's mate to turn up to keep it company, a GZprem.

Wished I'd bought the nice Black spiderman someone was selling at the time I sold my pins but waited for the comic version and the rest is as above...damn.

#194 1 year ago

DE Batman…still have it because it’s my wife’s game and she says it’s not for sale EVAR!

#195 1 year ago

My first pin, a F-14 Tomcat and still have it....
    Bought it for $700 in 2014 in the desert area of Hesperia, Calif.

#196 1 year ago

My first pin was a williams scorpion. I had it for 2 years before I sold it. It was a good first pin to learn the basics on. I put a lot of work into it, but I got bored with it when other pins came in. I sold it to a local guy as his first pin. Circle of life continues. I don't miss it.

A side note, my first pin I was going to buy was a williams firepower. It was the pin I really wanted when I first got into the hobby. I found one for sale 4hrs away and made a deal with the guy to pick it up the next day. He ended up selling it out from under me just a few hours after we made the deal. Total dick move. Anyway, I finally bought one almost 3 years later, it works but needs a lot of love. I'm currently fixing it up but I don't plan on letting it go anytime soon.

#197 1 year ago

First Pin is the pin I remembered from my Childhood - Aladdin's Castle. Still have it of course, and I picked up an extra, and an extra BG too.

#198 1 year ago

I bought an Eight Ball Deluxe over 10 years ago and it will never leave.

I played EBD at Aladdin's Castle at the mall when I was a teen.
    I played EBD at the UofL student center while in college.
    I played EBD at my favorite pub in my 20's and 30's.

I've played that pin more than any other pin ever made.

I bought the pin. Restored it and started my collection.
    Still have the pin. The collection continues to grow.

#199 1 year ago

Data East Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I don't think it lasted more than 2 months, I just didn't think it was a fun game and a local operator asked me if I ever wanted to sell it. Made a deal that afternoon.

#200 1 year ago

Bought a Williams Big Deal in 1982. I was not able to hold on to it.

There are 204 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-was-your-first-pin-and-do-you-still-have-it-/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.