(Topic ID: 25993)

What was your best deal you bought and your biggest mistake selling?

By mcclad

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by HELLODEADCITY
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

Many years ago I bought 9 machinces from a Pizza place for $1000.00.
    Space invaders
    Embryon
    Firepower
    Silverball Mania
    Haunted House
    Mr. & Mrs Pac Man
    Gorgar
    Devil's Dare
    Black Knight

Not bad to get them for $111.00 a piece. And they all worked. (A couple needed minor fixing.)Still have the HH.

I also bought a mint condition T Zone from a friend for $700.00 but did not have the room for it at the time. It was stored for me untill pick up. A long time went by and my friend needed to get it out of his shop so I sold it back to him for the same price so he could sell it to someone else. Which he did and the new buyer still has it and I am still kicking myself for my extreme stupidity. If I had only known.

#3 8 years ago

Best deal.
    Captain Fantastic, Twin Win, Sky Kings and Night Rider for free.

Next best.
    Twilight Zone for $200

Still sorry for selling my Pinball Magic, Theatre of Magic, Tales of the Arabian Nights and Creature from the black lagoon. But I certainly mastered them all during the years they spent with me.

#4 8 years ago

MM. Not sure if you can call it a deal or not, but bought one back in 1998 for a pretty good price at the time (think it was around $4,800, which for up in Canada wasn't too bad). It had been on route for about 4 months and hardly looked like it had been played. Sold it in 2002 and by 2007 I realized what I had done and subsequently went out and bought another one (which we still have).

Safe to say the one we have now won't be leaving anytime soon.

#5 8 years ago

I haven't found any great deals, just "ok" ones. Bought an I500 in really nice shape for $1500 last year. Stuck a couple hundred into a new DMD and target LED board and sold 6 mos later for $2200. When you account for my gas and the hotel room that I needed to get it I barely broke even. Wish I hadn't sold - it was a fun pin.

I also picked up a HUO TSPP for $3600 earlier this year, which due to pinflation is already a great deal. Not selling it any time soon, if ever.

#6 8 years ago

Many moons ago, I picked up a minty IJ for $1450. Sold it stupid me.

#7 8 years ago

Can't pick one best deal. I've bought many MMs for under $2000 in the past, but back then they were only worth $4000 or so. Bought a Spiderman for under $2000 about 4 months ago. I rarely find deals like that these days.

A recent regret is definitely selling a HUO TOTAN, not because I sold it too cheap but because it -- along with some other really nice machines -- went to an amusement park.

#8 8 years ago

Picked up my 1st pin...TAF, 3 years ago for 2600. Aside from routine maintenance she's been rock solid, barely anything more than an bad coil so far. Biggest mistake..... hopefully not the pretty penny I just shelled out for my WH20 that's on it's way.

#9 8 years ago

$200 for T2
    $1k for four pins (HS, LW, SecServ, RK)

Those are the ones I've sold....Won't tell ya what I paid for my current ones, as I don't want to spoil their future value

#10 8 years ago

Picked up a AFM and MB for 2400 for the pair...The mistake...selling them to Bryan Kelly for the same thing

#11 8 years ago

Once got a nice Mousin' Around for free!

Bought a 100% working, very nice Getaway for $700.

Sold the MA for $650, and the Getaway ( 3 days after I bought it) for $1200. Miss them both.

Chris

#12 8 years ago

BSD - $500
    TZ - $1800

#13 8 years ago

A month or so ago picked up a Tom in amazing shape for 500.00
    TZ for 2000.00
    The one I regret selling is my popeye saves the earth for 1200.00 I know not a great machine but I should have kept it for a little while. It was so clean

#14 8 years ago

I don't even feel like I'm qualified to post on this thread...this is pretty humiliating after what's already posted...

Pinbot - 200....no topper, working.
    STTNG - 1400 fully working, stuff broke down fast and got fixed very fast, minty playfield, head decal damage, no wood damage.

3 months later
    #15 8 years ago

Picked up a '83 Royal Flush Deluxe for $25. Also picked up a '69 road Race wedgehead for $100. Lastly, a '68 MIBS wedgehead for $160. All needed a little bit of work/refurbishing. Ultimately, $285 for 3 pins, two of them being wedgeheads mind you!

#16 8 years ago

Easy..............worst mistake. Sold Medieval Madness 3 years ago for $4,000 and Monster Bash for $3,500. I needed money to get through the summer slow down so the pins had to go. I hate that I had to let go of that Monster Bash. I have a beat on who currently owns it as I'm sure it got flipped several times for a profit. I tracked down the current owner and they simply said..........its not for sale.

#17 8 years ago

:doh:Tron le at presale price and sold it two weeks later.

#18 8 years ago

From a percentage standpoint, my best deals are my older pins. They're worth multiples of the original prices paid.

Regrets: selling a beautiful restored Whirlwind, an Earthshaker, and my first pin: a minty Hurricane that the family loved.

#19 8 years ago

RBION huo mint 11 months ago for $2200. Since then everything I have bought from EABundy. Deals I see now make it really difficult to buy another NIB. You can fill a gameroom with pins for the price of one NIB now.

#20 8 years ago

Also got a routed LOTR but in decent shape for $2600.

Chris

#21 8 years ago

STTNG for $600-needed new trough boards.
    Sold for $2400 a few years back and now I am looking for one again.

#22 8 years ago

Overall very nice F-14 Tomcat for $700. The previous owner had already stripped the playfield mylar, leveled the inserts and polished the playfield. All I had to do was finish the reassembly. Came with new Pinscore display and Rottendog power supply too. This one is a keeper (at least for a while)

#23 8 years ago

Biggest mistake selling - Gave my nice Gulfstream to a friend when I graduated from college and moved. Don't know where it went when he gradutated. Would have been worth it to make the extra trip to move it.

#24 8 years ago

I guess I can only comment on the 1 I sold. Bought my Paragon for $425 sold it a week later for $700. Didnt want to ,but the deal was too sweet to pass up.

I....just....wasnt....done...playing....it.

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

$200 for T2
    $1k for four pins (HS, LW, SecServ, RK)
    Those are the ones I've sold....Won't tell ya what I paid for my current ones, as I don't want to spoil their future value

I don't get this thinking. Anybody who expects you to sell them for what you paid for them is an idiot.

I paid $7800 for my MM 2 years ago. The guy I bought it from paid $500 for it at an auction 5 years before. I didn't feel buyers remorse. I felt good for him. Now I feel good for me. It is worth about 12K if I sold it today. But it is not going anywhere.

#26 8 years ago

I wish I could report some great finds on this thread, but sadly, I think I overpaid on everything......

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from roc-noc:

I don't get this thinking. Anybody who expects you to sell them for what you paid for them is an idiot.
    I paid $7800 for my MM 2 years ago. The guy I bought it from paid $500 for it at an auction 5 years before. I didn't feel buyers remorse. I felt good for him. Now I feel good for me. It is worth about 12K if I sold it today. But it is not going anywhere.

Agree 100%, unfortunately there are a lot of idiots in this hobby though.

It is amazing how much people change when money is involved in their decision making process.

My best deal? Not financial at all- picking up a completely dead LW3 in 1999 off of Ebay for $300.... That was my first pin, and it took me 6 months to even get it to boot (it had major problems with every single board). I can still remember getting that thing to come to life and the rush I felt....

As far as remorse....None.... It's only pinball...

#29 8 years ago

A routed MM I bought two years ago at the going price has turned out to be a bargain...at least until the pinball market crashes at some point. The last two Bally's I bought for restores I paid about $500 over what they were worth as I was looking for winter projects and didn't want to wait to find better deals.

#30 8 years ago

I started buying right before the most recent uptick in prices. A few of the deals I got didn't seem great at the time, but are pretty good in retrospect.

This was only over the past six months, too..

#31 8 years ago

Picked up a Pinball Magic for 700.00. Traded it for a Rollergames and 500.00.

#32 8 years ago

25 pins for $2500 - mostly working from a distributor that repossessed equipment from a retailer that owed them money. Sold 3 the same day for $2400 to route operators.

Side story - I had 9 on a rental truck when my wife got home from work. She wasn't happy and asked where I was going to put all of these machines. I replied - It's not these 9 you need to worry about, it's the other 16 I bought today. I listened while she let me have it for a few minutes before I gave her the receipts and bank slips.

Special thanks to J.W. and "Hutch" for providing the warehouse space for a few weeks while I unloaded the bulk of the purchase.

Frank -

#33 8 years ago

Having only been in the hobby for a couple of years, my best find was just a few months ago..a STTNG for $1600. Guy I bought it from paid $2000 for it a few years ago, and knew nothing about upkeep. Too intimidating for him to fix the issues it had, he sold it instead. Got it home, and nothing terribly major it's turned into a favorite at my place.

#35 8 years ago

A funhouse for $150
    Two theatre of Magics for $1400
    One Indiana Jones for $600

Cleaned up one Tom and sold it for $2200

That paid for the other 3 pins

Worst regret. Selling a MM for $3300 (years ago)

#36 8 years ago

I am still hoping for my 'best deal' but I think I got into the hobby too late for the amazing prices that some of you are quoting. ;(

#37 8 years ago

Best deal was a huo shadow for 600.00. Actually no it was a jurrasic park,funhouse, Elvira and the pm, and attack from mars all 4 for 3500.00. Still have all but the afm!!!!!! My ex wife sold that one last year when we where getting divorced. That bitch!!! . The biggest mistake was a mint Popeye I bough from a guy for 900.00 what a pos. took forever to sell that turd. I will never buy a hurricane, South Park or Popeye ever again

#38 8 years ago

Data East Batman: Bought for $700... Sold 2 weeks later: $1800

I was pleasantly confused about this.

#39 8 years ago

Picked up a ToM that was in a fire in very decent shape for $500 today

#40 8 years ago

got a free high speed. an operator wanted to put a bunch of machines in my pool hall i owned at the time. told him he gets in if he gets me a decent pinball machine.

#41 8 years ago

Hmmm, guess I'm the odd man out.

No great deals and no regretted sales.....not even the HUO LOTR.

#42 8 years ago

Im im: A Whirlwind minty fresh for $600, Big Hurt $200, Earthshaker $200, Grand Lizard $225, but also got a HS and BoP for free for fixing a Comet. Chris Hutchins bought the PF out of BOP as it was a rare diamonplated version. Also bought my beloved Al, Garage Band for $500 and a Strange Science for $300. Those days are mostly gone now. Regretted selling a nice Cyclone but even at a loss, it was an xmas gift for a guys brother who returned from the war in Irac, so it was worth it to me.~ SpOoKs

#43 8 years ago

Best deals: sample TZ - 1150 (1998-9) and AFM - 2800 (2011).

Selling regrets, yes unfortunately. The first two wedgeheads I had were sure shot and royal flush. I would buy those two back in a heart beat. No regrets over departed SSs, well, probably FH since I did it twice and both were beautiful.

Dan

#44 8 years ago

HUO MINT LOTR - $3000 in 2010
    HUO MINT TSPP - $2800 in 2010
    Spiderman - $2400 (routed) - 2011

Sold them all..so sad

#45 8 years ago

every machine I sold out of my collection feels like a mistake. but I won't know for sure, until I get a new house and try to buy everything back.

#46 8 years ago

Oh yea, also traded my CTBL for a South Park in 2009. Wow..dumb.

#47 8 years ago

I scored a Nice Roadshow for $800 3 years ago and will never sell it . I also Got a Jurassic Park for free for exchanging some pin work and shop jobs for a few of his pins. Had to put about $250 into it but sold it for $2200 . i also just got a Really nice Champion Pub for $2200 just a few months back . After reading this im going to shut up before i jinx myself.

#48 8 years ago

Best = TZ for $1000

Worst = Selling AFM for $3500 a few years ago.

#49 8 years ago

Use to re-import pins from Germany years ago with a friend. Once initial investment was paid back was left with an early production TZ and IJ (stainless POA rails). Had lots of others but sold them off, did not really keep them for myself. Needed the cash at the time. So I guess both were free, sold the TZ in 2000 and IJ in 2005 for $2200.

WW before it was known as WH2O. Bought it for $600 and sold it for $1300 in 1999.

Just got back into this a year ago and have 2 of the 3 back, just need to pick up an IJ.

#50 8 years ago
    Quoted from Drew13:

Oh yea, also traded my CTBL for a South Park in 2009. Wow..dumb.

Man, that might be the worst thing I have ever heard given my strong Creech bias. Some things best left unsaid... Why did that make sense at the time?

Dan

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.00
    Apparel - Men
    Pinside Shop
    $ 27.50
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 14.95
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    ArcadeArts
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 16.50
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 26.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 32.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 4.00
    Electronics
    Z-connector (24 pin) Out of stock
    Professor Pinball
    $ 4.95
    $ 1,200.00
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 125.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 22.50
    There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside