Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Rick471
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

They are a few guys on Pinside that can probably answer this pretty accurately...some guys have been in this game a long time (owning and operating).

I was wondering on what price you operators paid for the games when they came in the mid 80's and early 90's.... i am not talking about blowout prices i am just trying to figure out the average price of pins when they originally came out..

Some of the names i hand in mind were:

Comet
    Pinbot
    High Speed
    Space Station
    Cyclone
    BOP
    FH
    STTNG
    T2
    FT
    TAF
    TFTC
    GNR

I am not super interested in what happened to the late 90's games since we are all pretty aware of the price appreciation in MM, AFM, MB, and CC ...but if someone want to share an interesting story, please feel free to share!

#2 11 years ago

High Speed about $2400, TAF about $3200.

LTG

#3 11 years ago

thanks Lloyd...that's definitely alot of coin for back then.

They were earners so i guess you made the money back!

#4 11 years ago

Just goes to show you that the relative price of a pin hasn't gone up by much in the past 20 years.

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Just goes to show you that the relative price of a pin hasn't gone up by much in the past 20 years.

i'm not sure that's accurate. just going by those two figures posted, pin prices have more than doubled in the past 20-30 years. hell, if you compare them to a title like WOZ, the prices have tripled.

are salaries doubling and tripling across the board?

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from pudluther:

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics inflation calculator, $2400 in 1985 is the same as $5,125 now. $3,200 in 1990 would be $5,625 now.
    So, yeah, hopefully salaries have just over doubled since 1985 and are about 1.75 times 1990 to keep up to inflation.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from pudluther:

It's a widely accepted standard that inflation between 2 and 3 percent per year. (not always, but on average) Meaning that something that cost $1.00 last year costs $1.02-1.03 this year. This also applies to wages and pinballs. Granted, some things have NOT follow this standard (i.e. gas prices-above inflation, personal computers-below inflation).

A simple calculation shows that in 25 years, a 2.5% average annual inflation rate results in an 85.4% increase in price. Thus, if a pinball has increased in price by > 85% in that time, it could be deemed to have outpaced inflation.

NOTE: this formula IGNORES the cost of wear and tear on an item. (Meaning, pins from 25 years ago are no longer in mint condition, thus reducing the value.)

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics inflation calculator, $2400 in 1985 is the same as $5,125 now. $3,200 in 1990 would be $5,625 now.
    So, yeah, hopefully salaries have just over doubled since 1985 and are about 1.75 times 1990 to keep up to inflation.

+1. Better stated than me.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from tonymiddendorf:

It's a widely accepted standard that inflation between 2 and 3 percent per year. (not always, but on average) Meaning that something that cost $1.00 last year costs $1.02-1.03 this year. This also applies to wages and pinballs. Granted, some things have NOT follow this standard (i.e. gas prices-above inflation, personal computers-below inflation).

this is kind of what i am getting at....prices have gone up and down over the years depending on consumers appetite. but in general the prices have trended along nicely...and most those old title remain near levels of original cost...which is a steal IMO...because most that you get now a days especially from pinsiders are kept in players quality or slightly above ..which is a bargain to me....

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from islandpinball:

...prices have gone up and down over the years depending on consumers appetite. but in general the prices have trended along nicely...

BOOM!

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

High Speed about $2400, TAF about $3200.
    LTG

An old Williams operator who lives out by me, said when he was operating he bought several High Speeds NIB and there was all sorts of problems with the Williams pins from the start. The mylar was not factory installed, it was up the the purchaser to install themselves. Playfields were about $100 and Backglasses were like $50 operators discount. He bought several High Speeds back then and has 2 still today. One is still NIB, The other is set up in his office at home that never gets played and has the original rubber still installed (he's not a pinball player). High Speed NIB can you imagine? He said he only paid $1200 for each High Speed to and they were his best money makers over any other title!! He has no plans on selling the NIB HS. I already asked him. Oh and i asked about the batteries and he said he told them at Williams to pull the batteries before shipping, so there should not be any issues of that, it was my first thought when he told me.

#12 11 years ago

An operator friend here said in its peak, it was not uncommon for a machine to bring in over 200 bucks in a week.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-was-the-price-for-mid-80s-and-early-90-titles-at-the-time-they-came-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.