Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by paulace
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2018-12-25 22.42.42 (resized).jpg
    2018-12-25 22.42.38 (resized).jpg
    Countdown.png
    2F840842-836E-46C5-8C03-7F8DBF901887 (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

Back in the early 70's I was in my early teens and a pinball fan. The local campgrounds had a concession building with a few games so the town kids would hang out there to swim, ping pong and pinball. There was a machine I really enjoyed playing but have no idea what it was called and I'd like to find one. The game was all about 4 sets of drop targets, each set was a different color. I think they were yellow, green, red and blue. The playfield was symmetrical with 2 sets of drop targets up high and 2 sets more mid field. They were symmetrical left and right as well. I think it was the challenge of hitting the targets that I enjoyed so much. Does anyone have any idea what the name of that game might have been? Sorry I can't remember anymore about it.

#2 3 years ago

Single player? Two player?

I'm sure this will be solved here, and welcome!

#3 3 years ago

Edit: nevermind, Count-Down doesn't fit your "early '70s" criteria.

Maybe Gottlieb 2001 / Dimension?

#4 3 years ago

Spectrum ?
    Edit didn't see 70s mentioned as I scanned through.

#5 3 years ago

My Guess is Gottlieb’s 1973 High Hand/Capt Card but it only has 2 colors for the 4 sets of drops although 4 different suits.

2F840842-836E-46C5-8C03-7F8DBF901887 (resized).jpeg2F840842-836E-46C5-8C03-7F8DBF901887 (resized).jpeg
    #6 3 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Edit: nevermind, Count-Down doesn't fit your "early '70s" criteria.
    Maybe Gottlieb 2001 / Dimension?

This sounds like the only option. Two sets of drops on each side. Wish I could find a Dimension for myself.

#7 3 years ago

Another vote for Spectrum

#8 3 years ago

Spectrum's too new - '82. Gotta be 2001/Dimension.

#9 3 years ago

Thank you to everyone who replied. I think the machine that best matches my memory is High Hand. That is the target bank layout that I remember only I would have swore the targets just had round circles on them and they were 4 different colors. That was a couple of years back so it is possible my memory is skewed so unless someone else mentions a different game I am going to assume my memory was skewed and High Hand was it. Anyway High Hand looks like a fun game for someone who likes the drop targets like I do. I'll start watching for one. Thanks Sea_Wolf.

#10 3 years ago

Sounded like Volley to me except that came out in the mid 70's

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from ChuckR:

I would have swore the targets just had round circles on them and they were 4 different colors.

Count-Down was my first thought and matches your description perfectly, except for the early '70s part. It's from 1979.
    Countdown.pngCountdown.png

#12 3 years ago

Hi ChuckR
    here https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?mfgid=410&yr=1970-72&ft=bank+drop+target&sortby=date&searchtype=advanced
    is the search for "Gottlieb Pins, 1970-72, as "Notable Feature(s)": bank drop target , sorted by date --- You may want to change the years - maybe the manufacturer ? When You are sure "Your pin" was an electromechanical (EM) pin: You can alter the search - looking only for EM-Pins. Greetings Rolf

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from ChuckR:

Thank you to everyone who replied. I think the machine that best matches my memory is High Hand. That is the target bank layout that I remember only I would have swore the targets just had round circles on them and they were 4 different colors. That was a couple of years back so it is possible my memory is skewed so unless someone else mentions a different game I am going to assume my memory was skewed and High Hand was it. Anyway High Hand looks like a fun game for someone who likes the drop targets like I do. I'll start watching for one. Thanks Sea_Wolf.

Just remember that most people on here prefer Capt Card, the add a ball version to High Hand because the drop targets reset on Capt Card after they all go down. On High Hand they do not reset.

It’s much harder to find the Capt Card due to low production. Still, I’d love to have a High Hand too for the right price.
    Hope you find one.

#14 3 years ago

Ebay has a High Hand now for $900. A bit high but it's there.

Pickup only. Pipe Creek, TX. Not sure where you are though.

#15 3 years ago

Are you sure it was drop targets? The color scheme and age sounds a little like 4 Square. Which was my go to game at that time.

2018-12-25 22.42.38 (resized).jpg2018-12-25 22.42.38 (resized).jpg2018-12-25 22.42.42 (resized).jpg2018-12-25 22.42.42 (resized).jpg
    #16 3 years ago

4 Square is a favorite of mine as well - had a bunch of non-pinball people over for a party and asked them after they played a while on all the games (era 1966-1995) - how do you play this game? Most had no clue - but 4 Square, they all said "get 1-2-3-4 to light more stuff".

Gotta love it.

#17 3 years ago

You guys "Rock". Obviously I have 2 different memories intertwined because Yancy's submission of Count-Down is definitely the machine that I was thinking of or perhaps the EM version Space Walk. I'm not sure if I should be happy that I now know the name of the machine or sad to know my memory isn't what I would hope? Screw it, I choose happy because I have several Pins I can go play! Thanks to all. In addition to getting the name I wanted, I got more machine names that I might be interested in. I also learned that I should look a little harder at the search features on IPDB.org, thanks Rolf. By the way I'm located in south-west Indiana, about half way between Indianapolis and Evansville. I'm a recently retired Electronics tech and when I get some more of my honey-do's caught up I'll come here more often and see if I can give back.
    Thanks,
    Chuck

#18 3 years ago

You better look for a machine other than "Space Walk" - those things are haaard to find! They only made 217 of them. If you don't mind the 4-player SS version, there are "Count-Down"s that show up for sale now and then. Fun game!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-was-the-name-of-that-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.