(Topic ID: 11140)

What was the first wizard mode?

By Atomicboy

12 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

I'm guessing the answer will vary and be somewhat vague, given there are likely many early machines displaying some sort of wizard'ish accomplishment.

My guess would be Pinbot with reaching the sun?

#2 12 years ago

I could be wrong but I'd go with Mega Door Bonus on Whirlwind. Of course your right that it all depends on how you define wizard mode.

#3 12 years ago

Well if you're going to count reaching the sun on Pinbot, you could count any number of things back in the EM days too... Say getting to royal flush on Jacks Open or anything else with that playfield. Heck Dodge City kinda has a "wizard" award too with the 100x shot. Probably games earlier than that even.

The first game with "modes" that had a special award after doing all of them was probably Lights Camera Action. The award, though, was just a Mystery Pick that would go on to become somewhat more common later on. The game that really shoved the whole "collect everything for something special at the end" into your face was Whirlwind and its Mega Door bonus, even though you wouldn't really call any of those modes, just mystery awards. BK2K of course has RANSOM, but that's a game-to-game feature that you're building up to. I'd probably call it a wizard mode, but it doesn't quite follow the same path that things nowadays do. The first wizard actual mode that follows completing a bunch of previous things is probably Super Frenzy on Funhouse. TAF is probably the game that really blew it open with its heavily mode-based gameplay (even though not all awards were modes, most of them were) and a specific bigtime award at the end.

There can be other categories too... First "battle" wizard mode was probably WCS, first wizard mode "ladder" was NF, etc.

#4 12 years ago

It's generally accepted to be BK2K from what I have heard. you CAN build ransom in one game. It's tough, but you can.

#5 12 years ago

Yeah I guess you guys are right depends on the definition of mode .
    Then we are talking early 90's games , with true modes

#6 12 years ago

I think that would be accurate. Addams Family "Tour The Mansion" comes to mind. That was my first and only wizard mode, and I got that last year!

#7 12 years ago

Steve Ritchie claims credit for the first wizard mode with High Speed, though I can't think of a wizard mode in the game.

http://steveritchiepinball.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=38

#8 12 years ago

I know pinbot was a stretch, but I thought of it as it is hard to do, and isn’t really the normal game play, given the lighting the targets, and loading the balls for MB. The payoff for the sun has a bonus point award, and is saved through the entire play of the game, not just per ball.

I knew that as for as actual “mode” based games, FH was the first there, but playing pinbot got me thinking of this, as I couldn’t think of anything this intricate before pinbot having this type of game feature.

The Highspeed post is interesting. I just read SR’s site, and I am confused of this, as that game is all load the balls, and get the MB payoff, and I don’t think anyone would agree that is a “wizard mode” per say.

#9 12 years ago

Before PinBot there was Stern's Galaxy which had that kind of advance-the-planets feature.
    High Speed had a wizard mode? I don't think you could lock balls during multiball, so re-locking all three balls during multiball wouldn't be the thing. I will ask around tonight at the Aquarius Pinball Party and the Seattle Pinball League's tournament tomorrow. Third year, first tournament! There are some serious Williams pinheads who would know if anyone else did.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-was-the-first-wazard-mode and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.