New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 130841)

What was the first pinball machine you ever played?

By sevenrites

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 130 posts
  • 116 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by DaWezl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Did the first pinball game you played get you hooked?”

• No, I played it and forgot about pinball for awhile. 36 votes
    31%
  • I didn't get hooked, but I started playing them when I came across them in the wild or at a friend's. 29 votes
    25%
  • After the first time I played, I knew I was going to be hooked. 26 votes
    22%
  • You can't possibly play one and not enjoy it. Now I own one or more. 25 votes
    22%

(116 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Playfield.jpg
Backglass.jpg

There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 5 years ago

1941 Spot Pool - My dad bought it in the late 40's.

3 weeks later
#103 5 years ago

40 years or so ago Played Lawman and I believe Sure Shot at Disney heliport & golf clubhouse both long gone for hotels also played Royal Flush ,Hot Shot , and many others at the Brunwick Wonderbowl bowling alley now a Disneyland parking lot

#104 5 years ago

Count-Down

3 months later
#105 4 years ago

Gorgar.

#107 4 years ago

Big Shot, 1973, at a nearby bowling alley. Hooked ever since.

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=271&picno=259

Backglass.jpg
Playfield.jpg

#108 4 years ago

1965 Gottlieb Dodge City......my uncle had one in his basement (in the mid-late 70's) and my brother and I would go down there and play that thing the whole time we were visiting.

Soon as I bought my first home I remembered those visits and new I had to get a pinball machine for my own basement. Unfortunately my own kids have not taken to them........maybe someday.

#109 4 years ago

Centaur for me.

#110 4 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

Big Shot, 1973, at a nearby bowling alley. Hooked ever since.
http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=271&picno=259
Backglass.jpg
Playfield.jpg

Never seen it before, but I'm liking the back glass.

#111 4 years ago

the first pinball machine i ever played was actually in my best friend's basement in fourth grade. i was astounded that his father actually had one in his home. this would have been the early 80s. i can't remember any details about the game itself, unfortunately.

#113 4 years ago

Spot Pool (flipperless)-My dad bought it after the flipper was invented making it obsolete and cheap ($15) almost overnight.

#114 4 years ago

Bally Flicker at age 11. Funny since my sister took me to the arcade and she worked (and still does) in a movie theatre.

#115 4 years ago

I grew up a couple miles from one of those old great turn of the century amusement parks, and my grandmother lived a mile on the opposite side. So I walked through the park almost daily. The park was mostly shut down when I started grade school, but the kiddie rides and Penny Arcade was still open. So there is no way I could remember my first pin

I do remember playing an old arcade machine that was a small handgun that shot steel balls at a small cowboy town as my favorite.

#116 4 years ago

The first one I can remember is Addams Family (I think). I was 5 years old or so.

#117 4 years ago

1964 Williams Soccer.

#118 4 years ago

Not positive it was the very first but Bally Bus Stop was the first game I played repeatedly. 40 years later one is in the lineup.

#119 4 years ago

Haunted House

#120 4 years ago

I grew up with a bally bow and arrow in the basement. Thanks dad!

#121 4 years ago

Don't remember the first but it would probably be a sys11 pin. In the late 80's, I worked in an arcade. Things were often slow so I would sneak a game of pinball but wouldn't drop my own quarters in one. I was more interested in the vids at the time. It wasn't until college in the early 90's that I got more into pins. TZ and TAF stick out the most as games that peaked my interest in pinball.

#122 4 years ago

I grew up in the arcades of Buenos Aires....and it literally was an every day affair. I don't remember the FIRST pin I ever played, but I remember the one that changed my perception about pinball (I always thought that they ate my money WAY too quickly - figure a 2 minute play time versus a 20 minute play time on a vid).

Then, all of a sudden - there was a pin that made me willing to feed it over and over and over again...F-14 Tomcat! The day it arrived at my main haunt with its booming soundtrack and flashing beacons, I was hooked. I always said, "One day, when I can afford it, I am going to own one of these!". It was indeed the first pin I bought and having it at home awakened the addiction, er desire to "collect".

#124 4 years ago

Gorgar at the local 7-11 I really had no interest in pins back then as I was too interested in pumping quarters into games like Space Invaders, Asteroids and Missile command with the freshly minted slugs me and my crony friend made in his basement!!

#125 4 years ago

From what I remember Joker Poker. But I also remember spending a lot of time playing Black Knight and Black Hole. Today I have all 3 in the collection.

#127 4 years ago

Super Mario mushroom world @ American adventures

#128 4 years ago

Dodge City. It was located at an outdoor laundry mat on Fairbanks right next to Beefy King in Winter Park FL. Hi Lo Ace was the other machine we would play inside Beefy King. Sadly, one day, Dodge City was totaled by vandals. 1974

Fortunately, I now own a Dodge City but haven't located a Hi Lo Ace.

#129 4 years ago

My earliest recollections of playing pinball is

Sinbad
Superman
Playboy

#130 4 years ago

The first one I recall playing was a Liberty Bell at the local bowling alley, but I'm pretty sure there were other machines there before that.

The machine I remember most fondly is the Addams Family I used to play at the Spiral Bar in NYC back in the early 90s. For context, that bar was really big with the Hell's Angels back then, so I would be playing surrounded by all these big biker dudes wearing spiked leather gear. I am a fairly short geeky girl, so I looked completely out of place, but I held my own among the regulars.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 349.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside