(Topic ID: 130841)

What was the first pinball machine you ever played?

By sevenrites

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 130 posts
  • 116 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by DaWezl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Did the first pinball game you played get you hooked?”

• No, I played it and forgot about pinball for awhile. 36 votes
    31%
  • I didn't get hooked, but I started playing them when I came across them in the wild or at a friend's. 29 votes
    25%
  • After the first time I played, I knew I was going to be hooked. 26 votes
    22%
  • You can't possibly play one and not enjoy it. Now I own one or more. 25 votes
    22%

(116 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Playfield.jpg
Backglass.jpg
There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 8 years ago

Okay, I did a quick search to see if this was posted before and all I found was "do you own the first pinball machine you played" or something similar. No, I don't, but I plan to someday. So I figured I'd throw the question out there - what was the first pinball machine you ever played? For me, it was Haunted House.

#2 8 years ago

First one I can remember well was FUNHOUSE. I must have been 8 years old then. I likely played before then, but I cant really remember before that in regards to pinball machines.

#3 8 years ago

Gottlieb Atlantis for me. I did end up buying one.

#4 8 years ago

Hercules at age 7 or 8 and (barely) << could hardly reach the bloody flipper buttons

#5 8 years ago

I can remember pinbot and T2. I own a pinbot and would love to pick up a T2 at some point.

#6 8 years ago

Sharkys shootout. They had it in the lobby of a hotel we stayed at when i was younger. I spent our whole vacation in the hotel lobby and spent my entire vacation allowance on that pin!

#7 8 years ago

Well, it must have been an EM, but beyond that.......... so........ long............. ago..................
Like back when dirt was new.

#8 8 years ago

Bally Knock Out. My dad brought it home for Christmas when I was 8 or 9. 35 years later my parents still have it.

#9 8 years ago

Terminator 2 ... 1992 in a bar... next one 2006 (STTNG, which I bought).
Even though pinball was no part at all of my childhood, youth didn't help being not addicted now.

#10 8 years ago

for me Addams family when it came out in 1992 I was 11 years old pumping all the quarters from a paper route I had into it. I was pissed then they switched it out for a dumb Twilight Zone.lol and I own Addams family today

#11 8 years ago

First one I remember the title of was Sea Ray. Then Fireball. I was about 9 at the time.

#12 8 years ago

Gottlieb Home Run. Played for hours.

#13 8 years ago

First pin I remember was I think a Sinbad at the Polish home in Rome, NY back in the late 70's/early 80's. After that I played lots and lots of video arcade games, only encountering a pin here or there at a bowling alley or something. It wasn't until I built a home MAME machine a few years ago that the wife posed the "Could we get a pinball?" question and I was hooked.

#14 8 years ago

Skateball. Played it at a youth center near my home 1985-1988. Got to play a beautiful example of it last year at Expo. Still want one.

#15 8 years ago

probably Gamatron or Centaur.
EDIT: Maybe Comet.

#16 8 years ago

Hot Shot in my parents basement.

#17 8 years ago

Black Knight.

Kicked my 7 or 8-year old butt. Hated him. So I played Space Invaders instead.

#18 8 years ago

I don't know the first one, as it was in my grandparents basement was I was VERY young (maybe 3-4) and it barely worked. None of my family remember the name or what it looked like.

First arcade style game (besides the pinball above) that I DO remember would be the Williams Double Play pitch and bat that is still down in that basement. Been in their home since Dec 65. Grandma still has the receipt for it.

#19 8 years ago

First ever: Williams Jive Time.
First where I realized I knew basic techniques like trapping: T2
First where I realized games had rules: Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle

#20 8 years ago

TOTAN. I remember playing a few others growing up but had no idea what they were or what to do. TOTAN was the first game in 2008/2009 that I played and said...holy F! Got me into pinball. Then it was MM.

#21 8 years ago

Something from the mid-80's. But at that age, I don't remember what it would be. I remember my dad teaching me how to catch balls, and aim my shot. as I stood on the chrome step-stool, with rubber top.

#22 8 years ago

Funhouse

#23 8 years ago

First pin I played was at my local movie theater. It was an AFM and it was located right next to the area51 game.

#24 8 years ago

no, no, no, I think I do remember my first Pinball machine.

Mini Cycle http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1604

A friend of the family had this in their basement. They used to babysit me when I was 2-3. Last year I searching for this machine on Google. I knew what the backglass looked like, but at that age, there'd be no way I would know what it was called. All I remembered was that it had people riding stuff in the sand. And that's how I started my Google Search.

#25 8 years ago

No idea. I was big on arcades, but it was the vids I was playing. And honestly most of them (this is early 80s) didn't even have pins. The ones that did I would feed in a quarter, bounce the ball around a bit, and then drain and walk away. I had no clue what I was doing, and lost interest to go back and play Gauntlet or Rampage or Xenophobe or something else.

It wasn't until Tron came out that I "got it". Played Tron LE at a local bowling alley and was hooked. I'd already had a renewed interest in pins, but that's the game that helped cement it.

I don't have an LE, but I have a modded Tron Pro that I'm perfectly happy with now.

#26 8 years ago

Gorgar, I was probably 8yrs old or less, remember being freaked out by the artwork and heartbeat.

#27 8 years ago

The first one I remember the name of was Traildrive

#28 8 years ago

I believe it was Black Hole at Show Biz pizza, but Fish Tales is the one that got me hooked(no pun intended)

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from scooter:

The first one I remember the name of was Traildrive

Time to relive those glory years.

spokane.craigslist.org link

#30 8 years ago

I WISH I knew what machine it was. It was an EM about 45 years ago, and I only vaguely remember it.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I WISH I knew what machine it was. It was an EM about 45 years ago, and I only vaguely remember it.

How can you forget your first time? ... it supposed to be magical

#32 8 years ago

mine was the EM King Rock

#33 8 years ago

Gottlieb Mini Cycle and then Sing Along. Both at Pine Tree Bowl in Dearborn, Michigan.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Time to relive those glory years.
spokane.craigslist.org link

Would love to have one!That one is across the country though

#35 8 years ago

First game I remember playing was a data east Simpsons at a local skate rink/arcade. I thought the game and the show was so cutting edge at the time - well from an 11 year olds perspective.

But a few years later the game I remember spending lots of time with was an IJ at aladdins castle

#36 8 years ago

Haunted House. One of my earliest memories. Now I own one and my kids love it!

#37 8 years ago

T2 at the local pub. Remember it playing for months if not years.
After that they had a Theatre of Magic and later on an Apollo13, which was the last pin seen in that location.

#39 8 years ago

An EM game but cant remember but first I remember was 8 Ball deluxe. Played it everyday after football practice.. Then it was on to highspeed..

#40 8 years ago

Power Play.............

#41 8 years ago

Probably Joker Poker EM as it was in my uncle's basement. There may have been earlier ones but that is the one I can remember for certain.

#42 8 years ago

Probably T2 at an arcade at the Jersey Shore. I had no idea what was going on and quickly retreated to the arcade games after losing a few quarters. Wish I'd have stuck with it, but I sure enjoy playing now!

#43 8 years ago

Interesting. It says a staff member has removed the game links above when I try to re add them.

#44 8 years ago

High Speed. I feel like that game was everywhere, and at a lot of places for a long time. Well into the 90s.

#45 8 years ago

Comet at a little hot dog joint near my house growing up. They had a little arcade section and it always had one pin. They replaced Comet with an F-14 and then with a Funhouse. I never stood a chance

#46 8 years ago

It may have been Bad Cats, and I associate that machine as THE sound of the late 80s/early 90s arcade for me. Even though I wasn't able to play many games at that age (time/funds as a ~5 year old), I still predominantly heard sounds from that machine over others whether I was playing it or not. I'd like to own a nice one at some point. If it wasn't Bad Cats that I first played, it may have been Comet or Cyclone.

Otherwise, I likely played more on a Jokerz when I was around 10 or so.

#47 8 years ago

jacks open.
First modern pin I played where I actually tried to learn the rule set was monster bash and then lord of the rings was the first game that made me hooked and decide to buy my own pin.

#48 8 years ago

Atari Superman at the local 7-11 in Oak Harbor, Washington.

#49 8 years ago

Gotlieb Hot Shot at a hotel arcade on vacation. Probably around 1978 or so.

#50 8 years ago

A Gottlieb Subway at Miller's Shorewood Vista resort in Rhinelander, WI in 1968.

I own one today and treasure it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Huntington Beach, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-was-the-first-pinball-machine-you-ever-played and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.