(Topic ID: 158316)

What was the first game that you sold from your collection & why?

By pinwiztom

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 63 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by swampfire
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ry%3D480_(resized).jpg

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

The first game that I sold from my collection was Bally Spectrum.
    Spectrum was actually the 3rd pin that I ever bought,
    got it at an coin-op auction near Sacramento CA.
    What drew me to the game was the PF lightshow attract mode.
    But after having it for about a year, I sold it at auction in Orange county,
    for about same price that I bought it for.
    Never really got into the game, as it seemed that no matter how well I played,
    I always seemed to get the same score, about 900,000.
    Game seemed to be playing me, instead of me playing the game.
    A difficult game to master.
    Also at the time I had about a dozen games in my growing collection
    and I was getting strapped for room,
    this was before my addiction got out of control.
    Though soon after I sold it, I regretted it, especially since the game is kinda rare.
    Ended up finding another about 10 yrs later in slightly better condition,
    acquired in a trade with a pinball buddy.
    Swapped it for spare BLY Frontier that I had.

#2 7 years ago

Road Kings, had to make place for a new pin and that one was kind of boring to play.
    I do miss it a bit because it's look and package (sound / lights in attractmode)

#3 7 years ago

for me it was gotlieeb incredible hulk....only had it and Atari superman, but only ever played superman so hulk needed to go

#4 7 years ago

Stern Magic because I had no idea at the time how to fix a broken game.

#5 7 years ago

Data East Star Wars. The disco sound and repetitiveness of it. Starting to think i should have put in a pinsound and kept it for a bit longer though - I miss seeing it in the room- for nostalgia I guess .

#6 7 years ago

Roadshow, because I HATED (and still do hate) the linear gameplay of it. I would rather smash my finger than have to do the stupid NY or Miami mode every single time.

#7 7 years ago

I'm not positive. I think it was Jive Time. Why? Go play Jive Time.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Go play Jive Time.

Or just go look at Jive Time.

#9 7 years ago

Hey, in the old days you grabbed what you could get. After you get it working and put a few hours on it you decide if it stays or goes.

#10 7 years ago

Captain fantastic... goodbye turd

#11 7 years ago

Foxy Lady. Cocktail pin, killed my back working on it, and the wife hated the theme. Learned a lot from it, but was happy to get rid of it.

#12 7 years ago

Medieval Madness.

Bought it on a whim cause I was a noob and figured it was ranked so high it must be good. Was my second pin and think it left around the time I hit number 5. I find it to have almost no lastability in a home collection.

Granted it helped that I got it for a reasonable price just before the originals syrocketed and sold before the remakes were announced, so combined with me not caring for it very much, the uptick in value makes it easier to sell. I sold it and bought 2 other pins plus paid for another semester of pharm school for my wife.

#13 7 years ago

Bride of pinbot. Horrible game imo.

#14 7 years ago

I usually try to trade games. First was my JM for BSD, I did that cause BSD was always a favorite of mine, I wouldn't mind another johnny someday.

but the first game I sold was my broken skateball but the only reason I did that was for deposit money for my RZ.

plus I only paid 100 bucks for it, though I wish I still had it obviously

#15 7 years ago

a williams head-to-head joust and then a williams head-to-head joust

why? because I had 3 of them at the time kept the best of the lot (which is still in my collection)

#16 7 years ago

Super Mario, cause it sucked

#17 7 years ago

Whirlwind, because I'm dumb.

#18 7 years ago

A William's Triple Action. Got it for free in bad shape and non working, fixed it, shopped it, and didn't like the gameplay, sold it to a guy who remembered it from his childhood. I didn't own the game for more than a month.

In hindsight, it was a cool single player Williams game. I always liked single player EMs.

#19 7 years ago

NGG. Just taking up space. The same game every time. Gofers and ramps were great, but the gameplay itself lacked another interesting strategic element to make it really solid.

#20 7 years ago

My first sale was Cyclone, which was also the third game I ever picked up. I liked it a lot, and my kids loved it, but my gameroom rapidly expanded that year and I needed space (especially after picking up a big ball bowler). I didn't want to let go of anything else at the time so Cyclone had to leave.

#21 7 years ago

hmm. Haven't actually sold a game from the collection yet. Galaxy, Mars Trek, and Super Flipper were orphans that stayed here until homes could be found for them. Fun to play with but spacey games aren't really my thing.

#22 7 years ago

STTNG. Second game I ever purchased. Oh those damn cannons! If you have a pin that you're afraid to turn on during a party because you know something is going to breakdown AGAIN, then it's time for that pin to go. No regrets.

#23 7 years ago

Stern "Hot Hand". The ball spent way to much time at the top of the playfield. All around just a bad game for me.
    I sold it to my neighbor for $500, and he still loves it 10 years later (it's his only pin).

#24 7 years ago

TOTAN traded for SM because I thought one pin was enough.... How naive I was!

#25 7 years ago

TZ was the 5th game I bought and the 1st to sell. Like the game and I thought nice example of one, but need the cash at the time... My thoughts about sell it were because there were so many made, it would be easier to replace then my other machines.

#26 7 years ago

LOTR because I was told my MMR was "shipping very soon" and needed the space. Still waiting on the MMR...

#27 7 years ago

Medieval Madmess- you can do a lot with $20K.

#28 7 years ago

The first game I sold was Quick Draw. I liked the game but EM maintenance was (and still is) a mystery to me. I brought in a tech and he actually made it worse. At least he didn't charge me.

#29 7 years ago

First an only so far was roadshow, needed to free up cash for my Tspp , miss roadshow, found it a little more fun than Tspp , even though Tspp is still a cool game.

#30 7 years ago

Bally gator.. sorta worked, backglass cracked. barely broke even, but sold it before I was even full because I got tired of working on it, and I don't usually like EM's (too slow). I bought and quickly sold a sky jump not long ago for the same reason.

#31 7 years ago

I bought T3 as my second pin after the shadow. I quickly understood that it had to leave. It could have been a great game. Awesome flow, but the code was extremely lacking. And it had a repetitive mystery. Stuff like that gets on my nerves. So glad to get that machine out of the house.
    On a side note. I thought the RPG was just gimmick, but after a while, it ended up being really challenging and enjoyable.

If only the code was better....

Axl

#32 7 years ago

Congo. Beautiful game, and I fell in love with it instantly (yes...I even liked playing "catch" with Amy!). But in the end, it was all about collecting diamonds. And when I completed the super multi-ball only two days after getting the machine, I knew the lastibility of that machine would be in doubt. The rule is: when I beat a game (and if I've seen everything there is to see), chances are that game is on borrowed time.

#33 7 years ago

Had Freddy for 10 months and it was fun for a first pin. Then my neighbor got WH2O and TAF . There was a big difference so i traded it for No Fear(much better) . Than i realized one pin was not enough and it started.

#34 7 years ago

"Twister" I'm still a noob so its the only one that has left so far...... decision to let it go was a combination of it was beginning to get a lil old with me gameplay wise , couldn't find a plastic set for it anywhere & was tired of dealing with all the wonky ball trough issues it kept giving me

#35 7 years ago

For me it was a Data East Lethal Weapon. After I stated hearing ok,ok,ok in my sleep I knew it was time for it to go. It was my first pin and I learned a lot from having it.

#36 7 years ago

I only remember the first game I bought - no memory of what was the second I bought, or the first to go. I bought and sold a lot of games. Hell, I saw an old photo of my game room recently and saw a game I don't even remember owning.

#37 7 years ago

My first sale was the first game I bought. A rough but working 1970 Williams 4 Aces. I bought it cheap to get into the hobby and soon got the bug. Money was tight so I put it up for sale to buy another game. I sold it on Ebay to a guy North of me. He offered to pay me a little extra to deliver it. I agreed and ended up getting a speeding ticket on the way back home. The ticket nullified any money I made from selling the game. I would have been ahead to just wheel it out to the curb.

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from twenty84:

LOTR because I was told my MMR was "shipping very soon" and needed the space. Still waiting on the MMR...

Man that sucks

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

Roadshow, because I HATED (and still do hate) the linear gameplay of it. I would rather smash my finger than have to do the stupid NY or Miami mode every single time.

Ouch! 100% disagree. I've had it for 10 years and it's my favorite game at the moment.

But of course there is no correct answer.

Back on topic, Getaway / HS2 was the first I sold. Don't miss it but it's fun to play occasionally.

#40 7 years ago

Bally Wizard!, it was a dupe once I bought another that came with a good story behind it. Kept the one with the history and sold the nicer one for what I had in it.

#41 7 years ago

Baywatch. Only because a fellow pinsider in same area sent me a pm asking if it was nice and did I want to sell it. I wound up trading the Baywatch and 2200.00 for his almost new IMVE. So far my only transaction.

#42 7 years ago

Mars God of War because I hate that game so much

#43 7 years ago

I traded my Jokerz! for a Swords of Fury + cash. I was done with Jokerz. It was great learning experience but it just doesn't have great replay value for me.

#44 7 years ago

Sold my 2nd game Tri Zone to my best friend for 50 bucks when I moved out of my parents house.

#45 7 years ago

Sold my black MMR for a THSE that was available. Happy with the trade. Not sure if I'd sell anything else in my collection as they are all keepers for me. (Nib imve, nib stle, and just over 500 plays on a late model Lotr with a good set of mods). Only have room for 4 so it was a tuff choice of what to trade/sell.

#46 7 years ago

Sold my first pin, Firepower, after having it about two years. Needed to make room for something different, which is funny because I filled that space with three other pins (one a big fat Space Invaders). FP is a great game and Williams made so many I figure I'll get another someday.

#47 7 years ago

I usually don't buy a game unless I like it, so I hang onto them for a while. The quickest I ever sold a game:

LW3: This came as a package deal with a Scared Stiff. I had to buy the LW3 or no SS. It was a retched game and I sold it within one week.

TOM: I bought this thinking I would like it and hated it. I kept it long enough to shop it out and get it playing tip-top. At that point I could not get rid of it fast enough.

#48 7 years ago

Sold a few Bally KISS n the 90s cause Ive had a few. Always kept my first one.

Actually would be Special Force. lost interest.

1st DMD was Black Rose. Game was just awful.

#49 7 years ago

First game I bought was an old em, coquette I think, sold it for a loss just to get it out of my sight after spending a lot to get it fixed up. I discovered solid state games after that and never looked back.

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from jesster64:

First game I bought was an old em, coquette I think, sold it for a loss just to get it out of my sight

Wish I was closer.

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-was-the-first-game-that-you-sold-from-your-collection-why and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.