(Topic ID: 23612)

What was the best deal you walked away from (and later regretted)?

By awarner

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by aztarac
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

A friend of mine told me that the MM I shopped for him was awesome, but he just didn't like the game. Lots of new parts, it looked and played awesome. He told me it was $4K if I wanted it. This was 12 years ago and I "Passed" because I couldn't afford it. Months later, after the game was gone, he told me that it didn't matter about the money, I could have paid him "whenever" - Doh!

Share your "One that got away"...

#2 7 years ago

whoa, pay him "whenever?"

I can't wait for the deal of an "I'll pay you tomorrow for a pinball today" to fall in my Jeep Cherokee

:^)

Well, I haven't walked away from anything that I didn't manifest later.
    I tried a great condition Judge Dredd last year,
    at that point I didn't know that Dead world working was a mod to do haha.

#3 7 years ago

Peanuts compared to that, but, there was a really nice Bounty Hunter (http://pinside.com/pinball/archive/bounty-hunter) only about 90 minutes from me for $400. That would have been my first machine but I was just too intimidated by the prospect of the sale, not knowing how to transport it, etc...

Bummer.

#4 7 years ago

I prob could have bought any number of BBB's when they were $8k ....I thought that seemed CRAZY at the time...now it seems very sane lol.

Also - lots of good deals at auctions I passed on....$400 JM and DW...lots of good games at really low prices just a few years ago.

#5 7 years ago

53 Gottlieb Grand Slam - $250. It was a little rough, and at the time I didn't know better. I could kick myself over it now.

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from HighProtein:

whoa, pay him "whenever?"
    I can't wait for the deal of an "I'll pay you tomorrow for a pinball today" to fall in my Jeep Cherokee
    :^)

I'd classify him as "Wealthy" at the time. I might not have taken it anyway, that much debt with a friend might have been strange. Still sucks though...

#7 7 years ago

Never worried about anything I did not do. It was not meant to be mine if I did not get it.

#8 7 years ago

When I bought FGY in 2008 it was between a NIB FGY or a high end restored AFM with a ton of chrome and saucer mods . . . both were around the 4k shipped mark . . . while I had a blast with the FGY I will never sniff a high end restored AFM for around 4k again.

#9 7 years ago

1970 Plum Crazy Charger R/T 440 4 speed, 3.55 Dana. $9500 (1993 money).

#10 7 years ago

Oh, you mean pinball deals. Sorry.

#11 7 years ago

HUO TSPP and RCT for $5000.

#12 7 years ago

Tz and a whirlwind for 3k

#13 7 years ago

Popeye for $700, but I don't regret the decision.

#14 7 years ago

I was overbid (just missed out) on a trashed Xenon and Lost World. Both pins together went for under $650. Thankfully, they went to another Pinside member....so it's all good in the end.

#15 7 years ago

A Lethal Weapon given for free, but i went to late...

#16 7 years ago

Passed on a very nice TZ for $2900 a couple of years ago. Not as drastic as the OP's MM story, but in light of today's pricing would've been a great deal!

#17 7 years ago

TSPP for $1600.
    Had side art wear (this was prior to the armor guards being out)
    Small display not working up top.

Could have fixed shopped and doubled my money...just wasnt a big fan.

#18 7 years ago

A home use only TAXI for $800, I just couldn't drive the 4 hour trip that weekend, and I lost her.

#19 7 years ago

A MM four years ago for $6,500 when I first got into the hobby. I wanted it pretty bad but that was a lot of money at the time for a pin. Should have bought it.

#20 7 years ago

Walked from a mint LOTR for $4000 with all the figures etc. Could have had it in my house now if I would have just pulled the trigger!!!

#21 7 years ago

I have turned down a at least 3 mm in my day for under 2 grand and......i am glad i did lol. BBB for the initial 4500.

#22 7 years ago

Gottlieb Counterforce for $350. Was HUO and really nice.

#23 7 years ago

I could of picked up a RFM for $1700 HUO 2 years back. Not a scratch on it. Guy needed more money for a boat he was picking up and told me the first to show up with cash gets it. If i recall correctly it only had about 400 plays on it.

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

3 mm in my day for under 2 grand and......i am glad i did

This does not even make sense to me? It would be like saying I had a good tip to buy into this company Microsoft the day it went public. Im glad I passed on that.

#25 7 years ago

This isn't a pin but when I was 16 I passed on a GTO Judge convertible with a weak engine but and a little bit of rust for 4000 for a '79 Camaro with a good body and engine for 3500.

The Camaro fell apart from the inside within a year and I was told a year later that the body alone on the Judge was worth 10k. Dammit.

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from 6S3NC3:

This does not even make sense to me? It would be like saying I had a good tip to buy into this company Microsoft the day it went public. Im glad I passed on that.

At the time there was no repo pf's or anything for mm and all three where ghetto fab. I am glad i passed. I also hate the game more than a 2 dollar whore.

They where also from local douche chips4sle in chi town.

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

At the time there was no repo pf's or anything for mm and all three where ghetto fab. I am glad i passed. I also hate the game more than a 2 dollar whore.

You hate 2 dollar whores?

I agree. 20 dollar whores use their tongue purdier

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from playboywillis:

I agree. 20 dollar whores use their tongue purdier

I dont like the smell of cheeseburgers and rotten snatch on my whores.

#29 7 years ago

I passed on a nice condition RBION for $1,400

And then I "almost" walked away from a 6-pack of SS/DMD pins for $1,300 since I had no way to test them (no power)....

LUCKILY, I did not pass this up, as it made me some big $ and bankrolled my pinball addiction!

#30 7 years ago

My fiancee! Met her when we were Freshman in college, dated a bit in law school but life took us on different paths......... But, happy ending: We reunited following a college reunion 30 years later and are engaged. She was always The Gal for Me. Just needed to figure it out. I did.

#31 7 years ago

I once passed on a chance to get a C37 for $200. I still regret that, but it was a 4+ hour drive to get.

#32 7 years ago

i passed on a Totem for $208 plus a 4.5 hour drive one way...what was i thinking

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I prob could have bought any number of BBB's when they were $8k

I could have bought one from Gene when he announced that he was taking preorders at the 2004 Midwest Gaming Classic for like $4k or whatever it was. I really wanted to, but losing like $5k on the show that year and working at a job where that was like 25% of my wages at the time meant NO WAY.

I don't regret it, but it is the one thing that I wish things had been different for, as I know that I would've got one.

#34 7 years ago

The two that stick out the most were, NIB SM $3699.99 shipped from Amazon... (Late Fall of 2010) Before that, of course has to be the BBB pre-order...

I try not to think about it... "Drinking" about it is much more fun!

I can't complain though, the good deals (when they do come around) I've had in the past, greatly outnumber the "could-a-would-a-should-a" moments in my pin-life.

#35 7 years ago

I had a chance at a few recently, LAH $800 and a JP for $1200, but could never muster the courage to pull the trigger. Is buying a first pin only difficult for me? I used to collect knives and was closing in on a very nice late 60's classic Italian knife. Very valuable and very rare. After missing out because of indecision,I moped about and mentioned it to a freind who happens to be a very prominent knife collector. He told me "there will always be another knife". It was 12 years ago and I have never forgotten that nugget of wisdom.

#36 7 years ago

Perfect SM for $2500 about 6 months ago. I saw it again today, now they won't even take $5k (on location making good money).

#37 7 years ago

2 smoking hot Asian hookers in Las Vegas.....

$80 bucks a piece for a whole night ( as a pair)... and they came with paperwork.. !

But i was there with my MOM, so i had to pass..

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gerry:

2 smoking hot Asian hookers in Las Vegas.....
    $80 bucks a piece for a whole night ( as a pair)... and they came with paperwork.. !
    But i was there with my MOM, so i had to pass..

Shoulda sent mom to the all night buffet !

#39 7 years ago

4 Cactus Canyons for 2000.00 a pop. If i only had a time machine.

#40 7 years ago

SM 3K very nice shape only played a couple months. But it was the old code so I did not get into as much. I was also saving form my MM purchase. Regret it but not a lot as I have MM instead.

#41 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gerry:

Shoulda sent mom to the all night buffet !

Well there was no papers for sars back then so consider that lucky

#42 7 years ago

Sars..HA... a little pennecilin and your good to go... LOL

#43 7 years ago

Can't recall ever walking away from a good deal, that's why I have to pay for storage !!!

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Before that, of course has to be the BBB pre-order...

A lot of people passed on it because Gene's track record wasn't great when he announced it. I don't blame anyone for not taking a chance on loosing $2250 (and eventually $4500) on a game that might never see the light of day. I WAS stupid enough to do it though... BBB is still for sale...

#45 7 years ago

I have two that I kick myself over, and I can almost see a third playing out now.

First and probably biggest to me is Black Spiderman for $4450 NIB delivered in 2008. I had the money in hand, but just couldn't bring myself to spend that much. Figured I could always get a used one down the road, especially a red, for way cheaper. Now you can hardly find a beaten red for that. Ended up spending the money on my CV and Pinbot instead, and even together spent about $1k less than BSM would have been (CV was a partial trade), which seemed like the way better way to go at the time. While I'm glad I got CV when I did, I sure wish I would have pulled the trigger on that BSM. Now I will likely never have a Black, though I hope a Red finds it's way to my basement someday.

The other would be Neo's MM at MGC which I think was also in 2008..maybe 2009. If I remember right it was $4200 or so. It just seemed like so much money at the time for a game that wasn't brand new or in super nice shape. If I remember right I could have swung it, but it would have been tight, so I decided against it. I figured they would always be about that price, so I could find a different one down the road, maybe in better shape. Another one where hindsite is 20/20. Now I'll never own one. I like the game, but it's not near the top of my list, especially at the prices it demands now. Oh well. Of course I should have grabbed an AFM back then too when you could get them for $3-3.5k easy. Not to mention a MB. It's amazing what the prices on those top tier games have done in just the past 3-5 years.

Live and learn I guess. I have this nasty feeling that in a few years X-Men LE is going to be on this list for me. I just don't have a way to swing it right now without sacrificing half of my collection, which I just can't talk myself into. But I have a feeling if I don't do it now, I will never be able to. I see the prices doing the same as Tron LE (which thankfully I don't have any interest in), especially with one more really good update. I hope I am wrong and the prices stay down, or at least I enjoy the Pro just as much when I get to try one.

#46 7 years ago

+10 years ago: MM for 1500. Bally Vector for 150.

A few months ago a TZ for 1200..

#47 7 years ago

a $700 Stargate..cause i felt like I had enough pins..(yea right)

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from awarner:

I WAS stupid enough to do it though... BBB is still for sale...

??? Care to explain - I thought the re-sell (asking) price on these was about $16K - 3.5 times your investment....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 17.00
    $ 9.95
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 100.00
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 17.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 15.00
    $ 20.00
    £ 58.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 114.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside