(Topic ID: 251289)

What was the actual machine that got the NY ban on pinball overturned?

By Kaytrox

3 days ago

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by YeOldPinPlayer
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

rogeratcourt1977 (resized).jpg

#1 3 days ago

I've heard conflicting answers to this question, and online research does not appear to have an answer. I know that 2 machines were used in the actual hearing, and that the shot heard round the world was completed on the back-up machine, of the 2 that were there for proof. Can anyone definitively say what the actual deck/table/machine was that the shot was made on? And possibly, which was the main one?

#2 3 days ago

I have Roger's book at home, I'll check this evening and see if it's in there.

#3 3 days ago

I thought it was a chain of 3 Bingo Parlors and not an actual game. (Opps, ban overturned, not why ban started)Quick search hinted to that but I also cant find a name.
Would also like to know.
Thanks for posting.

#4 3 days ago

Gottlieb "Bank Shot" is the game that Mr. Sharpe made his "called shot" on.
That's what I've always thought anyway.

#5 3 days ago

Pretty sure El Dorado was the other game.

#6 3 days ago
Quoted from LouMatt:

Pretty sure El Dorado was the other game.

A replay game? He was really pushing it then, being in NY!

#8 3 days ago

"There were two games in the courtroom that morning, both of which were built by Gottlieb, one of pinball's major developers. On one side of the room was a billiards-themed machine called Bank Shot. On the other, El Dorado, styled after Spaghetti Westerns. Roger approached El Dorado. Before he could play, the council interrupted. Fearing that the player's preferred machine might have been rigged, they sent him across the room to the other game. Pinball's future would depend on Bank Shot.

After explaining the basic maneuvers to the councilmen, Sharpe (considered one of the best players in the world) made a bold move: He called his next shot. On the next turn, he announced, he would shoot the ball down the center passage. The council watched incredulously as he pulled the plunger. When the ball came down the chute he paused, waiting to time his shot just right, then he hit the flipper. The ball shot down the center. The council immediately voted 6-0 to overturn the ban on pinball."

http://www.metroactive.com/arts/Stern-Pro-Circuit-Tournament-Pinball-Professional-Pinheads-Santa-Clara.html

The story has been told many times...I am sure there are other articles. Apparently the story should be told many more times so everyone remembers.

Roger is the man.

#9 3 days ago
Quoted from LouMatt:

"There were two games in the courtroom that morning, both of which were built by Gottlieb, one of pinball's major developers. On one side of the room was a billiards-themed machine called Bank Shot. On the other, El Dorado, styled after Spaghetti Westerns. Roger approached El Dorado. Before he could play, the council interrupted. Fearing that the player's preferred machine might have been rigged, they sent him across the room to the other game. Pinball's future would depend on Bank Shot.
After explaining the basic maneuvers to the councilmen, Sharpe (considered one of the best players in the world) made a bold move: He called his next shot. On the next turn, he announced, he would shoot the ball down the center passage. The council watched incredulously as he pulled the plunger. When the ball came down the chute he paused, waiting to time his shot just right, then he hit the flipper. The ball shot down the center. The council immediately voted 6-0 to overturn the ban on pinball."
http://www.metroactive.com/arts/Stern-Pro-Circuit-Tournament-Pinball-Professional-Pinheads-Santa-Clara.html
The story has been told many times...I am sure there are other articles. Apparently the story should be told many more times apparently so everyone remembers.
Roger is the man.

To bad its not on film somewhere.

#12 3 days ago

I wonder what became of the footage recorded by the cameraman standing next to Roger.

Roger Sharpe

#13 3 days ago

Time to bring back the 1970s "Lapels of Doom"

Don C.

#14 3 days ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

I wonder what became of the footage recorded by the cameraman standing next to Roger.
[quoted image]

You can also see the reporter holding a microphone. That mic and cable go right into camera. That camera is a 3/4 video tape for news stations of the time. On the microphone you can see the news station card, the mic is turned 90 deg so we cant see who it is.
So the camera belongs to a local news station in NY.

#15 3 days ago

Thanks for clearing it up! In the posted pic, you can clearly see that it is 'Bank Shot'

#16 3 days ago
Quoted from LouMatt:

The story has been told many times...I am sure there are other articles.

http://pinball-magazine.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=103
Page 18 in unigroove 's Pinball Magazine issue #1 covers the story in great detail.

Roger's book Pinball! covers the story on page 63. April 2, 1976 he testified before the New York City Council's Committee on Consumer Affairs. He doesn't mention the El Dorado but he does mention the Bank Shot .

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Castle Rock, CO
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Texas Pinball
$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 109.99
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Great American Pinball
$ 18.95
$ 159.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Great American Pinball
$ 49.99
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
$ 5,800.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Music City Pinball
$ 79.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 119.00
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 87.00
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.95
$ 27.99
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside