(Topic ID: 195239)

what was the 1st bally bingo with steel legs?

By illawarra92

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by baldtwit
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 6 years ago

as per title..looking at buying my 1st bally bingo and have had several offers. just checking when did bally change from timber to steel legs?

#2 6 years ago

The Carnival Queen, 1958, the first magic screen game was also the first with metal legs.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from okorange:

The Carnival Queen, 1958, the first magic screen game was also the first with metal legs.

thanks for that..just one last question should they both (steel and timber) be 31"

#4 6 years ago

or beach time. While the flyer showed the game with wood legs, the beach time manual has the legs as P-4052 and the leg bolt as M-106-1. Those are red metal legs and the shorter bolt used in metal legs.

length...don't have any to measure that I know are bingo legs. Wood ones on a game I'm working are 30.5" and 31".

to make matters worse, some of the wood legs had more wood above the top bolt hole, so the overall length could vary. A better measurement is length from bottom of leg wood to center of lower bolt hole. The above legs are both 25.25" for that dimension.

some metal legs had a reinforcing plate welded just below the cabinet to make it less likely for the leg to collapse when the game was dragged, and there were red, grey and possibly white legs.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from baldtwit:

or beach time. While the flyer showed the game with wood legs, the beach time manual has the legs as P-4052 and the leg bolt as M-106-1. Those are red metal legs and the shorter bolt used in metal legs.
    length...don't have any to measure that I know are bingo legs. Wood ones on a game I'm working are 30.5" and 31".
    to make matters worse, some of the wood legs had more wood above the top bolt hole, so the overall length could vary. A better measurement is length from bottom of leg wood to center of lower bolt hole. The above legs are both 25.25" for that dimension.
    some metal legs had a reinforcing plate welded just below the cabinet to make it less likely for the leg to collapse when the game was dragged, and there were red, grey and possibly white legs.

Never knew that on Beach Time Phil. Thanks for the info. You never cease to amaze me!

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

You never cease to amaze me!

Ditto!

I also didn't know that the wooden legs could vary in height! This is all very interesting info.

#7 6 years ago

Geez @baldtwin. Interesting! Thing is the Beach Times I've come across have the wood legs, so...??? I know for sure that the Carnival Queen I am restoring right now had the white or cream colored legs. I believe they are original and as pictured in the flyer.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from okorange:

Geez @baldtwin. Interesting! Thing is the Beach Times I've come across have the wood legs, so...??? I know for sure that the Carnival Queen I am restoring right now had the white or cream colored legs. I believe they are original and as pictured in the flyer.

I've seen them both ways but figured the Beach Times with metal legs were just replacements from operators. I've seen all manner of combinations over the years. Metal legs on early games, wooden legs on newer games. I'm sure most bingo guys have seen the same thing.
    But I always went by the Carnival Queen flyer as showing the first bingo to have metal legs. I think Phil's discovery puts it on Beach Time. Maybe they changed from wood to metal during the Beach Time run.
    But then there's this photo.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd276/champy12345/Me%20To%20Do/BallyBeachClub8x10gs2.jpg

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#9 6 years ago

I don't recall a 1960's picture of a beach time with metal legs either. I'd bet the games shipped with wood legs until they ran out ... if they did.

I dug out a wico parts catalog from 1972. They sold a universal metal leg with the reinforced top section that was 30.25" long. It's possible the reinforced legs were aftermarket.

maybe wrong when I said the P-4052 legs were red. They were certainly metal tho. The red legs that a NIB silver sails came with were listed in the SS manual as A-2618.

those two part numbers seem to cover the metal legs, tho the green book has legs listed as A-2618B....which doesn't even agree with the safari manual which has A-2618.

for metal legs, I've had white, red, light grey and dark grey. Reinforced and not. Kinda an unfortunate mixture when there's just a couple part numbers.

The common wooden legs were CA-350-1. Bright Lights was CA-350 and had only the top set of split-prevention bolts in the leg sides. The manuals between bright lights and yacht club don't have leg part numbers.

a 1962 wico catalog lists the part numbers as CA-350-1 for wood, and P-4052 for metal. No dimensions.

it's probably safe to say the legs are between 30-31" for all of them, and metal starting with carnival queen is what the factory shipped.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-was-the-1st-bally-bingo-with-steel-legs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.