Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 71 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20201015_150652 (resized).jpg
    20201015_150303 (resized).jpg
    20201015_152147 (resized).jpg
    20230311_222111 (resized).jpg
    20230311_222038 (resized).jpg
    20230311_221911 (resized).jpg
    20230311_223116 (resized).jpg
    20230311_223053 (resized).jpg
    20230311_221813 (resized).jpg
    Pinside_forum_5955116_5 (resized).jpg
    Pinside_forum_5955116_4 (resized).jpg
    Pinside_forum_5955116_3 (resized).jpg
    Pinside_forum_5955116_0 (resized).jpg
    Pinside_forum_5953403_0 (resized).jpg
    Gottlieb Factory-1 (resized).jpg
    20230225_203445 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sparky672.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 1 year ago

Does anyone know exactly which Rockwell company or division of the Rockwell conglomerate was contracted with Gottlieb?

I suspect this division may have been tied somehow into industrial automation. The leading industrial automation company in the late 70's and 80's was Allen-Bradley and wasn't purchased by Rockwell until 1985. Westinghouse, GE, Reliance, Rockwell, Allen-Bradley, etc. all had divisions in the factory and industrial automation space, and they each had their quirks about how things were done.

Based on my own personal experiences with industrial automation systems, which are far more complex than a pinball machine, I would be curious to know.

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

Oddly enough that sounds more straight from the Gottlieb playbook: Raven (Rambo); Gold Wings (Top Gun); Hollywood Heat (Miami Vice); Bone Busters (Indiana Jones + Ghostbusters); Deadly Weapon (Lethan Weapon). Maybe Gottlieb would have called it "Merry Daze" haha.

Black Hole (The Black Hole)

1 week later
    #43 1 year ago

Do you know the year of this photo? Northlake, IL or Chicago?

5 months later
    #59 8 months ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

... today we can bullet proof a system 80 and have them be pretty reliable, they all make sense now, but back then not so much.

I am not sure what this means. What exactly didn't make much sense to the Gottlieb repairmen of the 80's?

I think the "bullet-proofing" of System 80 machines is done today because they're 40+ years old and people are willing to spend time and money. Back then in the arcade, it's was about just keeping the game running and making money as quickly as possible for the least amount of money. Apples and oranges.

It's not like we have some new profound understanding about how they work that didn't exist in the 1980's.

#65 8 months ago

Are you aware of how many games smoked up on location due to the grounding faults and repeated burned up coils? The target kickers would get stuck under the plastics and burn up. Pop bumpers locking on.

I'm not disputing the existence of these issues/flaws in the machines' design/construction. I am simply asking you for clarification about your specific comment...

...today we can bullet proof a system 80 and have them be pretty reliable, they all make sense now, but back then not so much.

"They all make sense now - back then not so much" ... This is baffling. Do you really believe that today we have some profound new understanding about how they work that didn't exist in the 1980's?

The engineers/designers made bad choices back then no different than engineers/designers making bad choices today. The repairmen dealt with the issues as cheaply/quickly as possible, which does not mean people of the 80's couldn't comprehend the system.

#68 8 months ago

You mean the repairmen that had no experience whatsoever with the new wave of electronics and board sets ... their experience consisted EXCLUSIVELY of electro mechanical? Okay

Seriously? Who do you think repaired Pong (1972)? As if they even needed special training to track down missing grounds and locked coils. Whatever the scenario, it would not have been exclusive to Gottlieb machines. Expediency, not a lack of comprehension.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sparky672.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-was-going-on-at-gottlieb-in-1978?tu=sparky672 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.